RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

Hey Goirish

Like Ari said, aussiesteve and I had a long qa and qc list that we followed. The engines that came from our distribution channels were checked and checked again. Your engine will be a good one. We are putting our names on that! You have our number....We will do everything possible to make you happy.

Both of us worked with the factory and relayed issues and opportunities. To a degree they listened and the brand name did grow in popularity.
Where they made the big mistake was in thinking if one distributor is good, then 6 (or more) are even better. It is not.. .this was pure and simple greed on their part to get as much profit into their factory as possible. I have nothing against those distributors who came on line after me. They did so under the best intentions but with false expectations from the factory. My qc was superior on the engines that I sold and my customers rarely saw the problems that other buyers of the rcgf engines saw. The problem was that ALL of us were being painted with the same brush.

The engines being imported into the US by Chinese businesses (not the factory but trading companies) are in my opinion, second rate. That is why the pricing was so good. The engines were problematic. Thing is, that many of these same engines were being sold to the other USA distributors too, and these fella's didn't realize this until it was too late for some. Even Steve and I were burned by this with some of the shipments!!!!!

So all the work that I did with aussiesteve in ensuring the quality was there, pretty much went out the window.

In the beginning, going back a couple of years, the engines had a different pedigree. When Steve and I got together with rcgf, both of us independently did a lot of engineering work on the engines to see if what was there was worth the effort. Both of us ran engines for several hundred hours apiece, and did tear downs and we were impressed. We still have these engines and they are still running well. They were what we based our decision on becoming distributors. We still think that the 20cc, 45cc and 52cc Twin are winners. They were our best selling engines and rightly so. They had our influences in them and the factory knew that we demanded a high quality product. Steve and I were very high maintenance distributors. We were in touch with the factory on a consistent basis. We provided a lot of guidance and advice. We fed back user experiences and what they liked and what they felt was needed. We wanted them to succeed.

That is why engines that we distributed were #1. We were committed to providing the best product. Not to belabor a longer story, but when Steve and I felt that we could not attach our names/reputations to these engines, we made our exit. He and I still stand by the engines we distributed. Heck, I am darn proud of what we accomplished.

So now we went our own way. We are taking our own advice and experiences as engineers and long time rc fliers and producing engines that will be best in class. We will put the YD-A engines up with all other engines (especially the asian made ones). We already know the results. Once these engines become publicly available, we URGE the guys to make the comparisons......and make their comparisons public.

The birth of the YD-A engines came about because of the experiences we had with the rcgf engines and personnel and the knowledge that we can do a couple of magnitudes better - and we are!!!!! GAME ON...

Sincerely
Henry
Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Lifer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well written, Henry!

John (From Kansas City)
Old 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM
goirish

Heny, I am not unhappy with my engine. In fact it runs great. I had recommended it to several of our club members. Now I am hoping they don' t buy the ones that you do not sell. We have a club meeting this Sat. and I am going to recommend that they look at the ones you are selling now. As I said in my post I am looking for a larger one. I have all the faith in you and Aussiesteve. You are the reason I purchased what I did and not another brand.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The very good point that Henry made was that QC for the engines him and Steve handled was performed on a much higher level that what is standard with the line. Where there should be concern is with engines purchased outside of their distribution chain. I have the same concerns that Henry does in that engines that have not undergone the secondary QC path that was in place with Henry and Steve there is and will be a lot of issues that will not be caught before the user experiences them. This is waht ahppened with the 26 in the picture I posted. It came from another vendor. Same continent but do secondary QC.

This is now the job that Southeast R/C gets to handle and I do not envy them. Having to do a teardown inspection of each and every engine prior to sale is not my cup of tea. Making that tough will be any alterations they have to make for quality that may not have the approval of the manufacturer. Can't sell what's not approved in advance, and that can make for a very large pile of engines in the corner.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I was the QC manager for a large machine shop in Phoenix...
We made aerospace parts...
A decision was made to manufacture some parts in Shanghai..
We had been making these parts for years..
The same parts made in Shanghai were sent to us as finished assemblys, ready to ship to the aero space company we made the parts for...We were told there were to be NO rejects on the Shanghai factory parts....
The parts were so bad we ended up rejecting most...
Apparantly the Chinese companies don't understand the concept of ZERO rejects... The idea of subcontracting our parts to China was dropped...
Just sayin'
Old 04-29-2010, 06:54 AM
TestPilot6

Thanks, T.O.M., for the photo.

aussiesteve's photo shows different failure. So I guess both are possible.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 AM
aussiesteve

OK
Here is another example of "in house QC" and why you can never really expect any particular sort of failure from them.
This is a 52cc twin I received from them in my last order that they ever sold me. This engine was sold to me as a "B" line engine by the factory so don't believe the @&^$ that some of the newer dealers wil tell you about the "B" line having been sorted out - it simply isn't true.

As part of MY in house QC, I used to remove the rear crankcase half of ALL RCGF engines to make sure everythihng was fine inside the engine (Learnt the hard way why I needed to do that on every engine regardless of how smooth it seemed to turn over). I now notice that removal of any engine parts immediately voids warranty according to at least one of their suppliers.

Remember - this engine has NEVER been run (and never will be run because Catherine has consistently refused to sell me parts to support my ex-rcgf customers - so most of those customers have now been given replacements of different brands - with which they are happy)

On this one, "Someone at the factory" ground down the side of one con rod because the rod was hitting the side of the crankcase. The reason it was hitting the crankcase was because someone in the manufacturing chain had machined the big end boss of the rod off centre.

So - at least 3 lots of FACTORY QC had failed miserably

1 - The machining of the big end boss was incorrect and not ppicked up prior to crank assembly
2 - Assuming that they buy in the rods - The preassembly inspection of the crank parts never picked the bad rod hub up
3 - When the faulty crank assembly was installed in the case, the problem was noted but instead of rejecting the item - it was "butchered" to make a "saleable" engine.

So who lost out on this one?

I did because the factory got their money in full - but they refused to speak with me about the problems. Can you imagine what could (would) have happened IF the engine was sent to a customer and they ran it? - vibration plus at the very least - until the rod broke.

Some may think this is an isolated incident but believe me -it is far from it - MY in house rejection rate of these engines was well over 25% because of major faults. I have many more examples but this was the closest one to hand - those examples include the "B" line engines. Fact is - Catherine Tsang did me a big favor by refusing to respond to my requests for spare parts (Parts that I was prepared to pay for because it was stil cheaper than sending the engine back to the factory at my expense - in the hope they MIGHT do the right thing about them)

Attached Images    
Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Tired Old Man

I had the off center rod drilling on my first 100, and also with the replacement crank they sent out, but the issue was on the small ends. Antique made mention of it at the time. I don't believe I've ever seen such deplorable manufacturing/ assembly methods as the one depicted in your photos.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 AM
aussiesteve

Yes
When you consider all of the advice that they were given by some VERY highly EXPERIENCED and qualified people (all at those peoples expense I might add), it is a shame they ignored it and continued with their "typical" business model.

We certainly tried to help them get it right.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 AM
barry wetherell

Steve, it must have frustrating to say the least, I have been following this thread for some time, I did add a post regarding Hobby kings 26cc elcheapo's, due to lack of funds at the time, i put off the puchase, as time went by, I changed my need for the engines, to which now I am glad, after reading your dismay at the Q/C from the manufactures, I see in the Aussie model mag a write up on YOUR localy ( PERTH W.A )produced YD A 55, I comend on your persistance, and hope all goes well
A.A.Barry
Port Hedland
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 AM
aussiesteve

Actually the persistence wasn't from me so much
Ours (Australia) is only a very small market

It was the "overseas" guys who gave most of the input back to them. and not necessarily distributors either. I know of plenty of customers that contacted them directly with input (VERY experienced engine people in fact).
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Tired Old Man

Steve,

Sometime back you mentioned that at one time I had rather irritated you with some comments. Although I do that with most everyone, I suspect it may have been about the time I decided that spending any more time with the RCGF product would have been an excersize in futility. Sorry if you were offended but based on the conversations I was having with the RCGF management, and their elusive responses, I just didn't feel all that secure in continuing with any support of the product line. I'm pleased to find that I made the right decision, but sorry that it had to be so. I really didn't anticipate that anything better would come out of the so called "B line" of engines. If they couldn't (or wouldn't) make it right the first time, and refused to make it right the second and third times after recieving volumes of info on how, why would anyone even think they would do it in any following product runs?

I feel for all the customers that you and Henry had with the RCGF line that are being denied local support by the factory. That's not right and only illustrates the contempt that RCGF has for their customer base. Hopefully Driesbabe is not having similar issues. Losing them as a supplier was probably the best action that could have happened, but dumping their ire on the backs of the engine owners is about as wrong as it gets. They well know that many that have warranty issues won't send the engines back to China for repairs, and of those that do many will not be provided warranty service because the manufacturer will deny the claim and insist on pre-payment of return postage costs. So the manufacturer wins all the way around; selling the engine, getting paid for all the postage and perhaps a handling fee, and not performing any legitimate warranty work.

RCGF has been a model of predictability. Surprising considering they consider themselves part of the "Middle Kingdom" and are superior to any other nationality. The up side to this is their transparency makes it easy to determine what everyone's next course of action needs to be. If the manufacturer fails to perform, don't buy the product. It's that simple. They reform or starve, which is also a method used in their homeland to force compliance with given principles. I can only hope that people looking for the cheapest gas engine they can find take a moment to first determine who is making it before they make a purchase. I strongly believe that RCGF will suddenly pop up with engines having a different naming convention, but will still be the same products as before.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Whistling Death

When I started this thread two years ago I thought I had come across a gem of an engine line. I really got excited when I saw the hard work going into the engines by the distributors.
I was waiting patiently for these engines to mature because I wanted to buy into the reasonably priced quality engines.

During that period, because of work etc., etc., I got out of the hobby for 1-1/2 years.

Imagine my dismay when I came back to find the RCGF engine line in turmoil. Reading through the trouble that the distributors had with the factory just doesn't make sense. What the Chinese are thinking?

I wonder if it has to do with the society they are raised in? My thinking is that are used to making products to a certain level and not having to care about customer satisfaction.
Maybe they run the company much like the government is run, you get what you get and don't complain it. It is obvious that they have a different idea of what quality means.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Tired Old Man

It's always only been about the bottom line, and only for today.

A percentage of the culture has a history of thinking in the very long term, but clearly there are sectors that do not. A penny today seems to be better than 7/8 of a penny a day for the next 20 years. I won't begin to delve into the political side of the equation but I do believe some of the attitude originates from that direction.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Piston

Hey Blake
When you started this thread, both aussiesteve and I were under that same impression - a quality engine at a reasonable price.
Steve and I have extensive experience in working with and within the Asian culture. That gave us a distinctive advantage too. We knew (know) how to get around, and avoid the pitfalls. And so we started with them.

RCGF has had several rebirths prior to their current name. We knew that. That is a normal part of business over there. As we got more into the engines, and started distributing them, we involved ourselves more deeply into the company.
As you read through this thread, you will find that A LOT of the ideas and improvements were brought up by the users. We did a lot of work in getting these ideas implemented.

We wanted even more. We knew that we could do even more and make the engines more powerful, more desirable. Steve offered to buy RCGF or at least a good part of it, so western ideas could be brought to bear. These were all rebuffed.
Steve and I are engineers - experts in manufacturing/design - and QA and QC experts. We are ISO qualified, and both of us have installed these systems. We offered FOR FREE to bring this into the factory. Rebuffed. We offered to work with their suppliers to develop QC programs.... Rebuffed....We offered to rewrite (actually write) their quality program - everything FOR FREE... Rebuffed.

We wrote our own QC/QA programs for our own places so that the rcgf engine name would continue to grow. We were assured that we would be sole distributors for the rcgf line of engines. So we poured our profits and resources into promoting the engines. You can imagine our chagrin when other "sole" distributors were announced so the we can "co-operate" together. Now at this time the engines were extremely popular and sales were skyrocketing and frankly, a lot of other USA distributors and dealers of other lines, were having a crappy time with their asian engines (pick some of the more popular letters), and wanted to jump on the bandwagon. RCGF decided that if one distributor was successful, then having 2, 5, 10, 20 etc distributors would be nirvana and a gold mine for them.... in other words.. greed...

They totally forgot that the two of us were responsible for keeping their quality aspects in line. Once that aspect left our control, the poop hit the fan. As we have talked about many a time here, there are many flavors of the rcgf engines for each cc size. The inconsistencies were too much for us. The engine quality fiasco hit Steve (Australia). In spite of repeated attempts at buying parts for customers the factory refused him.

As all this was transpiring we decided that a line of engines developed in the west, proven out here and manufactured here could do well if we put in all the improvements and ideas that rcgf would not do. Steve took that lead... and he is running with this like a wild man....

So the YD-A engine line was borne. This really pissed them off and they refused to communicate with Steve at all! They really could not do that with my company since I was their cash cow here in North America. Steve and I started working more on the YD-A engines and I was working a lot of overtime to maintain the rcgf (aerovate) quality. It was then in December of 2009, that Mr. Xu Liang (owner of RCEXL Ignitins) come onto this forum and announced that RCGF was counterfeiting his ignition units - selling them with engines as though they were RCEXL units. This was the last straw for us.....

The aerovate nameplate was removed from my site (KMP took this ) and I removed the rcgf engines from the website. My involvement with them was minimized, except for the fact that I would still handle the warranty aspects, because I could still get parts. Customer service is an important part of our Company culture. But now....rcgf is asking my customers to work with them directly on warranty issues sidestepping me totally.

In summary... what started out as a class act (with growing pains) with tons of potential looks like it is turning sour for them.....Too bad.... and unfortunate.
Over and out

Henry

Old 04-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Whistling Death

Wow I can only imagine what RCGF would be like if Steve would have been able to buy or buy into the company. Then even if they would have let you guys set up the operation that would have been awesome. To bad they are so short sighted that they don't realize they would be making as much money or more if they would continue with high quality standards at the prices they were selling for. They wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.
I'll just never be able to understand greedy people.
You guys were doing such a good job bringing the engines along, it's just sad now.
When I read back a few pages ago that RCExcel wouldn't even sell ignitions to them I knew there was something terribly wrong.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 PM
iliveonlytocrash

I’ve had a few of these engines and I considered them to be “almost ready to run†engines. The idea is that when you buy one, first you take it apart and correct all the manufacturing errors, put it back together, and hope for the best. Then after it still only has dismal performance, you make it into a paperweight and go buy a more expensive, but quality, engine like you should have done in the first place.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
amc72
My Feedback: (2)

Glad I read the end of this thread. I almost ordered one back to the drawing board for an engine for the edge 260
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

Yes Sir the RCGF line of engines are showing there true B line crap and I for one am not very happy with the way things turned out. I will say do'nt buy these engines from nobody!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Falcon32

OK Guys

Most stupid question of the week.
I have the RCGF 45 and am about to mount it to the plane, I have the mounting template and it is marked "TOP".
Is that top of the firewall or top of the engine
Reason I ask is that with the engine mounted upside down the "TOP" of the engine is on the "BOTTOM"

Falcon
Old 05-15-2010, 09:46 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you check out most engine installs, thinking you'll find conventional wisdom has the spark plug located on the "bottom" of the motor?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Tired Old Man

I think if you placed the template against the back of the engine you would have your answer quickly and accurately.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Falcon32

Thank you T.O.M. Only problem with that is I would have to take the carb off in order to lay the template on the back of the engine.

I also note that the center circle as printed on the template is off by 3mm, does this mean I simply use the + lines or do I lower the horizontal line to take account of this 3mm.

Thanks

Falcon
Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install your stand offs to the engine and then try it.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Falcon32

Now why did'nt I think of that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.