Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:11 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Sounds like you need to tune that carburator.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 PM
rsands2801

i was starting to think it may be way out. Whats the max temp you want the head to be? I read around 300 in a few forums? With those needle settings I seem to be on the very safe side of running lean?

Im running a cannister so possibly shorting the header length may help as well
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM
aussiesteve

18/6 or 18/8 is the best genral props I found for those engines.

Do this with yours
Check the ignition timing (The 28's have usually been good but occassionally they were out)
Make sure you are running a genuine NGK CM6 plug (It will have NGK on the insulator) and that it is gapped to 0.020" - 0.024" (I use a hobby knife blade).

Set the needles both to 1 3/4 turns open

Start it, run it until it is warmed up (a couple of minutes)
Turn the high needle in until the revs begin to drop - then open it about 1/16 turn from there.
Se the revs to about 2500 rpm and leave the throttle set there
Now lean the low needle until the revs stop increasing (or they drop).
Then adjust the low until you get a crisp throttle transition.
Go back and check the high needle again

When adjusting the needle - do it in small increments - 1/16 turn or less each time

Leave the engine set at whatever those results are and go fly it.

If it is overheating (above about 250 - 275 degrees F measured while the engine is in flight and at the top fins of the cylinder) make sure you have cooling air flowing over the head. Do not use your needles to try to adjust engine temp - use the cooling air flow to do it.

What you have is a JC engine - they are variable to say the least. The factory is reknowned for changing whatever it feels like sending to the buyers - you could have any combination of things.

My advice is to Adjust it as above, fly it until it breaks then replace it with a better brand. Eventually the pain will stop after you have done that.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
rsands2801

what would seem a general needle setting after tuning? i know it depends on so much but im guessing it could go down to 1 turn out to get proper performance?

Hope to get it running right, seems like its well made despite the problems been reading around the forum about JC itself
Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: rsands2801

what would seem a general needle setting after tuning? i know it depends on so much but im guessing it could go down to 1 turn out to get proper performance?

Hope to get it running right, seems like its well made despite the problems been reading around the forum about JC itself
Anywhere from 0.123 turns to 3.456 turns open for the Low Needle
Anywhere from 0.456 turn to 5.678 turns open for the high needle

Maybe an electric wil be a better option

THERE ARE NO "NORMAL" SETTINGS ON ANY GASSER. ANY GASSER WE USE WILL START AND RUN A AROUND 1 3/4 TURN OPEN BUT TO GET THEM RUNNING RIGHT, YOU MUST TUNE THEM. WHERE THE NEEDLES END UP DEPENDS ON A NUMBER OF THINGS.

Ok, rant over - on some of the better brands, you can pretty much start each engine of each model with certain settings and it will tune within 1/2 turn of that setting - the JC enignes are not one of those brands as the factory is to quick to add so many variables.

Set it however it needs, run it and when it breaks, get another engine.

Advice over, back to you.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Aussiesteve

"Run it till it breaks then get another engine." Good advice. Don't bother trying to get parts. Mine broke the crank about 4 months ago, never a crash or ground strike, called the current sellers of JC engines with no help. It was a great running engine, until the crank shattered.

Sad to say this, but my engine was a great runner. Would love to get her back in the air. Oh well, lesson learned.

Mark

P.S. I've got a great running JC 28 minus a crank for sale;-)
Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rsands2801

Hi,

Some valuable info here but so much I cant find what i am looking for. Most seem to be spinning a Xoar 18x6 on a JC 28 evo II engine at 8600rpm

I have mine running for quite a few gallons now and I am only getting 7200-7300rpm of it. I am currently 1.5turns out on low end and 1.75 turns out on top end. Engine head temp is 230 degrees F. Am i fine for temperature to lean the engine out some more to get better RPM? Or is there another reason it would spin it at this lower RPM?

Thanks

Richard
First of all, I would suggest you make sure your engine has a Walbro WT-805 and not a 793. Top end rpm with the 793 tend to be a lot lower.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Planeclothes

ORIGINAL: Champ-RCU

Aussiesteve

''Run it till it breaks then get another engine.'' Good advice. Don't bother trying to get parts. Mine broke the crank about 4 months ago, never a crash or ground strike, called the current sellers of JC engines with no help. It was a great running engine, until the crank shattered.

Sad to say this, but my engine was a great runner. Would love to get her back in the air. Oh well, lesson learned.

Mark

P.S. I've got a great running JC 28 minus a crank for sale;-)
Mine had been running fairly well until, out of the blue, one of the mounting ears broke, deep enough to create a leak. I never noticed excesive vibration or anything that could cause that to happen, and now, I am trying to figure out how to fix this, but I am not willing to put any more money on this engine. I just bought a DLE-30 which is what I should have done a year ago when I became another victim of the JC scheme.[>:]
Old 01-23-2012, 03:18 AM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Planeclothes, If you have the piece that broke off try "J B WELD "great stuff. Bill
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Champ-RCU

JC28 Crankshafts must be as rare as hens teeth. Is there any other crankshaft that could work? Just asking cause I have a perfect crankcase, cylinder, piston, ignition that still has life.

Thanks, The gluten for punishment.[:@]

Mark
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM
rsands2801

parts can be got it seems for most from Paul @ www.gashangers.com - maybe he would be willing to post over to US
Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Champ-RCU

rsands2801,

Thanks for the headsup. I guess there are no JC28 cranks across the big pond. The crankshaft must be a real weak link.

Mark
Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Q500RC

I would think you could find one for sale used and take the crank out of it?? Save the rest for parts!! I need to do the same thing I have a JC28V2 I have only run in on the bench haning on
a sport pattern plane. It was turning an xoar 18/6 at about 8200 rpms after just 4 13oz tanks through it so I was pleased with its performance! Real shame about all of this guess I had better
get busy and buy a parts engine soon before they all get bought up!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Has anyone tried contacting Keven @ JC to see if he has and will send parts.

They are on there new year holiday right now for about a week.

Milton
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Planeclothes

ORIGINAL: RCplanman

Planeclothes, If you have the piece that broke off try ''J B WELD ''great stuff. Bill
I do have the piece and it is already JB welded, but I have not attempted to run it, I am afraid it will break off again.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Planeclothes, Well like theyno guts , no glory. You can also put it on a shelf & see how pretty it is. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
BadAzzMaxx

I have been talking to Kevin quite a bit for the last two weeks and have decided to sell his engines.

I have been in contact with some of his dealers around the world and have had nothing but positive feed back about the 60cc and 120cc along with the 30cc.

It is true that the first run of the 60cc and 120 had a problem with the cylinders but JC jumped right on that problem and went to a new factory and had new cylinders manufactured and sent replacement to his dealers. Which says a lot about his customer service.

I know there is still a lot of the JC28cc out there with some problems and talked to him for a long time about trying to correct them.

He has most of the parts for the engine except for the crankcase. Was working with him about how to handle the situation with them if they could not be repaired.

Now please do not shoot the messenger over what I am posting.

Where this is a good deal or bad deal I do not know, I guess it is up to each person that has bought one of the engines.

If you have a Troublesome JC 28 he will replace it in exchange for a 30cc (which has proven itself to be a great engine) for $115.00 plus shipping and that is were the cost goes up a little, Shipping from china to me and then shipping to customer is in the range of $25.00 to $35.00.

The exchange is for the engine only, You will keep your existing muffler, ignition and stand offs and send me the old 28cc. The parts you keep will work with the JC30.

I think people who know me and have bought products from me know that I am 120% for customer satisfaction and do anything I can to solve a customers problem if they have one.

I do not pack up and leave Dodge when a problem pops up, Been selling hobby products for 9 years and hope to be doing it for many more.

I am also going to be the JC warranty US service center for engines bought from dealers in the US.

We Will provide service for engines purchased out side of the US but will not be covered under warranty.

If you are needing warranty service you will need to provide proof of where and when the engine was purchased.

Milton
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Double post.

Milton
Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

I have a spanking new JC-28cc , that hasn,t even seen gas , should I change it ?

Michel
Old 01-29-2012, 03:16 AM
aussiesteve

Well done for stepping up to the plate Milton. At least now there is an experienced seller helping Kevin to make a profit. I sure hope the Leopard has changed its spots.

But that doesn't seem like a very good deal to the customer (or to you).

So that the factory can avoid warranty on the 28's, the customer must pay more (must be close to his normal factory price for the engine). Didn't the factory previously offer a 3 year warranty on all the old engines? Perhaps this should be free, or just the cost of shipping perhaps.

I have a couple of questions

Is this a world wide offer or just for the USA?

Does this also apply to the many 53cc and 106cc (Area 51 and 102) engines out there that people have written off as a bad joke?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Wow - Milton,
Best wishes for this new endevour with Kevin. Hope you haven't just stepped out of the frying pan into the fire.
John
Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Michel

Hi

I,m just a customer ,............... and a modeler . The deal isn,t so great for the client . There,s always money to be made
Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 AM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

I have a spanking new JC-28cc , that hasn,t even seen gas , should I change it ?

Michel
Michel

That is up to you, From what I have seen there are more good running ones than trouble some ones out there.

There is a none US dealer that I talk to quite often that sells them, He likes them so much that when JC stopped making them he bought all the stock JC had.

Milton
Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 AM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: Ropomond

Well done for stepping up to the plate Milton. At least now there is an experienced seller helping Kevin to make a profit. I sure hope the Leopard has changed its spots.

But that doesn't seem like a very good deal to the customer (or to you).

So that the factory can avoid warranty on the 28's, the customer must pay more (must be close to his normal factory price for the engine). Didn't the factory previously offer a 3 year warranty on all the old engines? Perhaps this should be free, or just the cost of shipping perhaps.

I have a couple of questions

Is this a world wide offer or just for the USA?

Does this also apply to the many 53cc and 106cc (Area 51 and 102) engines out there that people have written off as a bad joke?
Is this world wide, I don't know that answer but if the customer wants to contact JC they can find out.

As to the Area 102, I never had a problem with the ones I sold, There were a few I know that came to the US from outside US sells that had the prop hub milled wrong and I sent replacements to them for that problem. These were engine I did not sell.

The Area 51 did have a crank problem and it took a while to get good replacement cranks, Kevin did after a while come up with a good replacement and I have repaired every engine sent to me at no cost to the customer no mater how old or if they were the first or fifth owner of the engine, A lot of them I did not even sell and they were purchased from outside the US.

Good deal or bad deal on the replacement of the 28cc, Again I do not know.

When this came up while talking to Kevin I thought about the 75 Vega I bought that never got me home before it left me setting on the side of the road.

This was before the lemon law in the US.

After this happened 7-8 time and the dealer said it was fixed ever time it left there shop and left my wife setting on the freeway two times I decided to trade it in, Now less than 2 months old and still 11,000 mile left on the warranty I was offered half of what I paid for it on a trade in.

Will never forget the same salesman that sold me the car setting across the disk looking me straight in the eye saying I should be happy they offered me that much for a car with so many problems.

Did not take the offer and bought my wife a Cutlass and about 3 years later sold the Vega to a person that wanted to drop a 327 in it.

Never thought I would buy another Chevrolet product until 88 when there trucks came out with the new body style, Bought one and put over 300,00 miles on it before I sold it off at a auction.

Anyway enough of my thoughts and leave it up to owners of the 28cc if it works for them or not.

Milton
Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Michel

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

Michel
Michel

That is up to you, From what I have seen there are more good running ones than trouble some ones out there.

There is a none US dealer that I talk to quite often that sells them, He likes them so much that when JC stopped making them he bought all the stock JC had.

Milton
Hi

May we ask , " WHO " this person is ? , that bought all the parts

Michel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.