Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

rcguy59,

I agree with you. I try to follow the instructions from the manufacturer, yeah Chinese as you say they're infamous for their metallurgy and other stuff. Honestly speaking, I'd love to try roto motor, and Mintor22 and when I'd go higher DA, one time too, I think I'd go max higher to 30 to 35CC max. At the moment, 20CC is good enough for me, which I have not even flown yet. I know bigger you go bigger bucks you need. To run away from small planes, and $22 to $25 Gallon glow engine fuel lasts but cost wise it's pretty expensive. I've made 2 gallons for $7 and still I have Klotz oil left.

Bigger planes fly good and stable but need more money. Also having to buy metallic gear servos break the back too!

Mody
Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Sorry to change subjects, I have a question. I have already ran a gallon og gas w 32:1 in my new DLE 30. Now should I go synthetic? What is the ratio? How many ounces per gallon? Thx DLE gurus[8D]
Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 AM
RiverLarry

The little book that came with the DLE 30

does it not say 30 - 1 from day 1 and then for life ?????

4 oz = 32 - 1 works fine !!!!cant be that hard !!!

my $0.02

R/L
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 AM
lopflyers

It also mentions 50:1 synthetic. That's why I asked. For me experience is more important than the manual.
50:1 would be 2.5 ounces/gal. Sounds too little to me. It's my first gasser��
Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Oil is cheap! I used dino oil at 32-1 for break-in and then 32-1 synthetic thereafter. No issues and engines last a long time.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 AM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Open up that engine and take a good long look at that $2.00 bearing on the rod end and tell me it doesn't want all the oil it can get! Consider also this engine runs at a higher RPM than the bigger ones do.

I recently broke the crank journal in one. Although the bearing showed no evidence of unusual wear, the journal did, and I was running 32:1 since the beginning. No complaint here, as I had been running the engine hard in excess of 10k RPM at times so I'm not terribly surprised something gave up.

Do yourself a favor. Run it at 32:1. The worse that can happen is you might have to buy some paper towels to clean up the mess. At least you'll keep the warranty intact.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 AM
lopflyers

Awesome thx, 32:1 synthetic it is
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 AM
rebranger

ORIGINAL: armody

Ed,

The one I'm using it's Klotz and it's synthetic so I'd continue to use synthetic. I'm impressed with your collection, and for me it may take years to get the collection. I'm planning to get another plane Seagull's Sea Fury, which I'm still waiting on money. I had started a thread of picking out one engine out of two and which is gonna be your choice that was the thread, it was between DLE20 and Mintor22, I was planning to get Dewoitine D.520 I was told, it ain't gonna fly good, or it would be difficult since it does not have bigger wing area, so I switched on Sea Fury both by Seagull models.

I have mixed up two gallons of fuel with 8 oz of Klotz synthetic. Anyway, I had been advised to get another DLE20 since I wanted to try Mintor22, though I love DLE20. Anyway, after I'm gone through my two gallons of fuel, you want me to switch to Stihl Ultra synthetic and go from 32:1 to 40:1? People have advised me to continue to use 32:1, as I'm a newbie to gas, and including you everybody's advices/suggestions I take respectfully here but, it's kinda making me perplexed.

As far as that big pasture you've mentioned, I don't think anyone's gonna go for it, since most of the people are around 249, 1488, 2978, 1774 and so on. We've been given an offer by Sparks club as I mentioned in my PM, but I don't think people are gonna take it, since our club's charges were dirt cheap as other clubs around.

Mody

Klotz is about the best u can get. I just run Stihl 'cause that's what I run in all my saws. Cleaner burning is why most go to 50:1 with the good synthetics. I run the lil Stihl Ultra grey bottle, the regular,4 oz, is in an orange bottle. Most of my engines are 2 - 5 yrs old plus. My biggest problem is gas goin "stale" & gumming up everything, so I use fresh gas everytime, only mix a gallon at a time, keeping it in good airtight bottle helps. Put a lil "Heet" in it to get the water, & a new gas stabilizer called Enzite (sp). Have tried Seafoam, Stabil, etc. they're alright, but still have problems if u let the gas sit, or age.

Speaking of the "Dewayne" as I call it, I have one with a Saito 120 on it. Flys like a dream!! It has done many landings (which is the toughest thing on a Warbird, retracts, ugh)). It flys well, will do all scale maneuvers, no nasty habits (tip stall, etc). Just keep speed up on landing. I love the model, it's kinda unique.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Oil is cheap, why risk going to lower oil content, you are not gaining anything.  A synthetic oil isnt going to protect it better using less of it. Oil gives engines life, why take it away?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Ernie Misner

rebranger, what have you had go wrong with your reed valves?

armody, I like your gas can setup. So you got the hardware from Hangar 9 I see and I like the way it sits on top of the gas can. Is that thread on the gas can a common one? The Hangar 9 pump setup will work on a gas can from Home Depot or whatever?

Thanks, Ernie Misner
Old 01-12-2013, 04:02 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen the fueler set-up ValleyView sells? I saw some on the shelf the last time I was over there. Nice rig, simple too. Not much to go wrong.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Ernie Misner

Hey Mike, I'll take a look when we go to the Monroe hobby expo. You going? I like the clean way the Hangar 9 one does sit on the jug though.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

For those of you who updated to the wt793 carb, how does it compare to the stock carb?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going Friday with Burel, Ernie.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have one of the hanger9 fuelers too, haven't used it yet, but will as soon as I can fly again
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 PM
armody

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

armody, I like your gas can setup. So you got the hardware from Hangar 9 I see and I like the way it sits on top of the gas can. Is that thread on the gas can a common one? The Hangar 9 pump setup will work on a gas can from Home Depot or whatever?

Thanks, Ernie Misner
Thanks Ernie,

This gas setup when my wife got me first P51 Mustang from Hangar-9. I still have those accessories with me. I used that set up on my glow fuel now it's on gas. I have seen some custom made fuel cans with fuel pump, nozzle and whole nine yards for around $80 or may be more or less. I don't think I can spend that much money on it and it works fine for me.

rebranger, I think my gas can is air tight, I'd try to put some plastic under the lid to make it more airtight, I usually store my gas in room temp. Now a days it's sitting on my working table in the garage as cold front is hitting again. I do have Stabil which I would add it to the fuel for it not to go bad.

I read one thing, that people have been breaking in DLE20 or 30 with regular oil then switching to synthetic oil, I really didn't get it. I ran my DLE20, I won't say it's completely broken in, but I ran it with Klotz synthetic in the first place, and I'm using the same prop 17X6 Xoar beechwood which I'd use it for flying. This is what working for me.

Mody
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 AM
G T

Hi guys

Just thought I would add a comment on the 20cc
I have a few DLE engines of larger sizes and decided to put the smaller 20 in an old H9 P47 I had sitting around as a go out and fun fly with out the set up time of larger warbirds.. This model was powered originally with a RCV 90 and was a dog
This motor has transformed this plane into a really nice flyer with heaps of reserve power.
Started flying it with a 16x8 prop and tried it today with a 15x7 3 blade and it pulls a better up line with NO stopping

I am very impressed !
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I hear that! I started with the 30cc planes, but more recently they've taken a back seat to the 20cc's I have. The 20's are just easier to handle from the moment I decide to go flying until the lights are turned out in the garage when everything's put away again? Definitely no performance loss. Fun factor is the same?

Looking forward to this new 10cc engine and if/how that engine (and other similar engines that are sure to follow) might further shape how/what I fly?

Mody - oil topics are always going to be controversial. From what one works best for break in to what one makes you're engine more powerful and last the longest. I'm only going to say that this 20 has a pretty vulnerable crank pin. Keeping the rpm's in check with a properly sized prop and running 32:1 mix are widely known to let that crank pin/engine live happily. I wouldn't stray from those 2 things much? Other than that, and using oil that's designed to be used in an air cooled engine, I don't think you can go far from what's right?
-Al
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 AM
RiverLarry

+ 1 Ahicks on the OIL and RPM!!!

After all the post about OIL I would think by now that would of been a givin !!!

there is a hi rpm RED LINE and a oil content in the book stick with that and

and there little DLE should be Happy Happy

I do have a new Tillitison carb that came for a gas converson for a SAITO 150

going to give it a try today to see what happens

waiting for my little10 cc fromH H ( and yes 20 - 1 ) on the OIL

people are all ready beating that 20 - 1 too deathalso R/L
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 AM
wesjon

Hi all

Just thought I would keep you updated on my progress with my DLE 20. I was having lots of issues getting her to run reliably. Changed the carb for a new one today and no more issues! Started after a good few flips on choke and is idling brilliantly and holding good high rpm. Still a bit of hesitation on throttle up but just needs to be tuned out. I am very happy as the previous carb was giving me a severe headache! I couldnt believe how well it ran today, was over the moon!

I hate mysteries and would like to find out what was causing my problems. Things I did to the original carb:

[*]I had to replace the fuel barb as the first one snapped...[*]opened to clean the filter[/list]The low end needle had quite a bad bend in it too which leads me to believe that it may have been sucking air from here or possibly the fuel barb...I remember readingon a forumsomewhere that after replacing the barb it never runs very well for some reason.

Wes
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM
coronabob

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I hear that! I started with the 30cc planes, but more recently they've taken a back seat to the 20cc's I have. The 20's are just easier to handle from the moment I decide to go flying until the lights are turned out in the garage when everything's put away again? Definitely no performance loss. Fun factor is the same?

-Al
The fun factor went up for me after I put a Bowman ring in one of my DLE 20s. It pulls fuel and starts in a few flips - it just does.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 AM
RiverLarry

Hay good going from across the POND!!!!!

did you take the HS and LS jets out all the way !!!!

and blow air through them !!! just a thought R/L
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 AM
wesjon

Greetings R/L!

Indeed, a South African living in the UK!! Been here 10 years and still cannot get used to this weather! Today was beautiful but my hands eventually got too cold so I had to pack it in!!
Yep, cleaned out the needles too!

Cheers
Wes
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

coronabob - good to hear - I've got Bowman rings for my DLE 20 and DLE 30 - haven't installed them yet - just about to. Good to hear that they help!.

wesjon - you may want to try a Raydiowarm. From Europe, about $75 US. Well worth the money - I could not fly in the cold without it.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
rebranger

They don't seal properly on the block. JUst lay block on flat sheet of glass with #200 - 300 GRIT AUTO BODY sand paper wrapped around it and sand down, check reeds for good sealling first. Sometimes they are a little bend &/or the block isn't square to let 'em lay completly flat or flush. Doesn't happen often tho.. but have it on your check list if you run into a fuel draw problem, Sometimes the cases leak, but again not very often. Most of mine have run great right out of the box. But every once in a while, I get a bad one. Carbs are the biggest problem tho..LOL
Armody, Magnolia
They say don't run the synthetic oil to break in, I guess cause it's TOO slick & make the rings take longer to seat.
Next thing I'm gonna try (other than changing out the carbs) is a Bowman ring. From what I have been reading on here, that's the hot set up!
ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Thanks, Ernie Misner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.