Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CH Ignitions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:54 PM
CH Ignitions
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys...with a heavy heart I have to tell you that the father of the famous CH Ignition; Bill Carpenter, a golden Icon of this RC Hobby, passed away on 3/27/2018 at the age of 83 Y/O.
I have so many mixed emotions that I can not even realize that he is gone, that the father of the most successful CDI in the world is now a name on the past.
He fist open the business some time in 1980 ...he could not remember exactly and he was told that that CDI will never sale and yet tens of thousands of CH Ignitions went around the world,
and many still working after 20+ years. Was so good and was copied in Canada, Europe and China with slight modifications or 1:1.
I remember that he was afraid that the Japanese will come out with a CDI and compete with his CDI but did not happen. CH supplied CDI's to all USA /Canada RC engine manufactures .
At first they were big and bulky I think 4x2x2 I think and as time progresses he told me that his twin brother helped him to perfect it and make it smaller, and smaller.
The size of the CDI was dictated at first by the ignition coil size. That was always a hassle to find , they were USA made, Japan, South Korea ,
Are so many things that him and I talked over the several things after I reopen the CH back in 2012; not knowing a darn thing abut CDI's...and I learn from mistakes
from internet and friends but most I learn from Bill.
CH will live and I will keep making the USA CH original Bill Carpenter CDI. Will be on demand and build by order only as a tribute to Bill.
With this unfortunate event I will like all of you to take a moment think at Bill Carpenter that was a good father, husband and for all of us in this RC Hobby the father of the CDI.

Here is a quote from a fried of Bill that I do not know if it can be said any better.
Adrian Ciulei

" Dear Heavenly Father, please cover the Bill Carpenter family with Your loving and protective arms today. Let them all feel Your presence in all that they go through today. In Jesus name, AMEN."
By: Tanimoto Grant
Old 03-30-2018, 02:44 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So very sad, I wish his family and friends the best. His contributions the the hobby changed it forever.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:43 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CH Ignitions
Guys...with a heavy heart I have to tell you that the father of the famous CH Ignition; Bill Carpenter, a golden Icon of this RC Hobby, passed away on 3/27/2018 at the age of 83 Y/O.
I have so many mixed emotions that I can not even realize that he is gone, that the father of the most successful CDI in the world is now a name on the past.
He fist open the business some time in 1980 ...he could not remember exactly and he was told that that CDI will never sale and yet tens of thousands of CH Ignitions went around the world,
and many still working after 20+ years. Was so good and was copied in Canada, Europe and China with slight modifications or 1:1.
I remember that he was afraid that the Japanese will come out with a CDI and compete with his CDI but did not happen. CH supplied CDI's to all USA /Canada RC engine manufactures .
At first they were big and bulky I think 4x2x2 I think and as time progresses he told me that his twin brother helped him to perfect it and make it smaller, and smaller.
The size of the CDI was dictated at first by the ignition coil size. That was always a hassle to find , they were USA made, Japan, South Korea ,
Are so many things that him and I talked over the several things after I reopen the CH back in 2012; not knowing a darn thing abut CDI's...and I learn from mistakes
from internet and friends but most I learn from Bill.
CH will live and I will keep making the USA CH original Bill Carpenter CDI. Will be on demand and build by order only as a tribute to Bill.
With this unfortunate event I will like all of you to take a moment think at Bill Carpenter that was a good father, husband and for all of us in this RC Hobby the father of the CDI.

Here is a quote from a fried of Bill that I do not know if it can be said any better.
Adrian Ciulei

" Dear Heavenly Father, please cover the Bill Carpenter family with Your loving and protective arms today. Let them all feel Your presence in all that they go through today. In Jesus name, AMEN."
By: Tanimoto Grant
Bill was a superb person to work with and he with his approach will be missed.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM
captinjohn

I just found out that Bill passed away. I & many others will miss him very much. He was a great person and designed the first & best ignitions that made it possible too use lite gas engines for radio controlled airplanes. He was a good friend & helped me very much. He even sent me a couple of real lite proto-type ignitions that worked very good. God bless his entire family. I will never forget him & his friends. John
Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 PM
captinjohn

I forgot to say that Ralf (RC Ignitions) built a real good ignition about the same time Bill made the CHI Ignition. I have one of Ralf,s ignition & cannot seem to kill it. Yup them was the good old days! Take Care ALL
Old 06-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have one of his ignitions systems from 1991 and a brand new one from Adrian.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Ralph Cunningham (Antique to many) converted my Zenoah G23 from magneto to CD with one of his ignitions more than 25 years ago and just recently it developed a problem. Spoke with the Ralph who suggested that I send it back to him as it carried a lifetime warranty, however present days shipping costs to and from my location was in excess of the cost of an RC Exl unit so I told him thanks but no thanks, and got an RC Exl unit. But can you imagine that after 25+ years of use his warranty still stands.......says volumes about the man.

Last edited by karolh; 06-06-2018 at 10:13 AM.