RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10197884-what-aircraft-you-installing-your-dle20.html)

RBean 02-18-2011 02:57 PM

RE: What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

1 Attachment(s)
We had a little decent weather today and I got the Hurricane out with the DLE 20 and ran it some more. Couldn't fly. Field still under snow, but it's melting. Maybe soon. Idle still around 1,700 rpm with top end about 8,800 rpm with 3 blade 15-8 Graupner prop. I had to use a straight pipe to avoid butchering the cowling. This engine is great and there is no reason for me to own a glow engine.

kmeyers 02-18-2011 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: RBean

We had a little decent weather today and I got the Hurricane out with the DLE 20 and ran it some more. Couldn't fly. Field still under snow, but it's melting. Maybe soon. Idle still around 1,700 rpm with top end about 8,800 rpm with 3 blade 15-8 Graupner prop. I had to use a straight pipe to avoid butchering the cowling. This engine is great and there is no reason for me to own a glow engine.
A straight pipe, what will the neighbors say. How does that sound?

Neo gold 02-19-2011 05:37 AM

Awesome!!...i have the exact same plane with a saito 115...'soon to be removed & sold with the rest of the greedy glow's!!'...
Anyone know if these DLE 20CC's will be a match for ESM warbirds though?.....
Thankyou

a1pcfixer 02-19-2011 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Neo gold

Thankyou
A good place for you to start from would be to read my overview of matching your model with this engine;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10197929

ghoffman 02-19-2011 06:54 AM

It is funny, the LHS just started carrying the DLE's but only the -30 and -55. I asked them why not the -20, and they seemed reluctant. I don't know what the sales numbers are, but it seems that the -20 must be selling well, especially for most modelers that are making their first transition from glow to gassers. The Zenoah's in the case next to the -30 and -55 look very old and bulky with all the unused bosses, and OMG, I saw one with a huge flywheel and coil!

a1pcfixer 02-19-2011 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

.................... I asked them why not the -20, and they seemed reluctant...................
I think those of us using the DLE20cc know why.
It's cutting into the LHS' sales of comparable glows!:D

ghoffman 02-19-2011 11:40 AM

Of course, that was obvious, they have a bunch of them in stock.

Neo gold 02-19-2011 12:53 PM

Thanks for that, i ordered one today...it'll be here next week!..
I'll test it out in either my 71" 'test plane 'CMpro Razor back....or the Kyosho 90 sized spit i removed the glow engine out of earlier.
So it puts out more power than a Crrcpro 26cc?..[X(]

a1pcfixer 02-20-2011 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

Of course, that was obvious, they have a bunch of them in stock.
Saito's, Evolution and Zen' (as you said earlier), right?

I wonder if it's the LHS' own choice, or a HH requirement (NOT to carry DLE20)?

ghoffman 02-20-2011 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Saito's, Evolution and Zen' (as you said earlier), right?

I wonder if it's the LHS' own choice, or a HH requirement (NOT to carry DLE20)?
Bingo!, OS as well
<br type="_moz" />

a1pcfixer 02-20-2011 03:19 PM

Think they'd show you the memo on that?:)

ghoffman 02-20-2011 03:38 PM

That totally makes sense, especially the way the guy at the LHS (who is kinda gruff anyway) answered my question:
Q: Are you going to carry the DLE-20 as well?
A: "We will carry the DLE-30 and DLE-55"

Q: No kidding? The DLE-20 seems to be selling very well.
A:"We will carry the DLE-30 and DLE-55"

Q: How about the DLE-111?
A:"We will carry the DLE-30 and DLE-55"

OK, thanks!
<br type="_moz" />

a1pcfixer 02-20-2011 04:28 PM

I'm just curious about why they sidestep offering the DLE20, as some demand certain conditions in order to be allowed to sell certain brands. Such as no Futaba if you carry JR/Spektrun, and so on.

I'd been a machinist for 30+ years. One shop I worked for, used to do loads of work for Aeroquip Corp.
Sometimes they'd reject a shipment of perfectly good parts, for no apparent good reason.

Well, one day they screwed up and left an in-house memo in the returned shipment. It basically stated
they had enough & no more was needed at that time. There was nothing wrong with the parts, although
they claimed there was. Our boss/the owner was furious!!!

He began getting us other work and phased Aeroquip out. They stopped by for their regular inspection, and
when they seen THEIR memo on his wall, framed no less, the chit hit the fan!:D

coronabob 02-20-2011 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of my 2 DLE20's on a 3D-abled Dirty Birdie. Parked next to mine is a friend's Dirty Birdie. I modified mine with large flying surfaces from deceased birds and cut off the nose to fit my DLE20. Flew it today in 20-25 mph wind. Flew geat.

RBean 02-20-2011 08:42 PM

kmeyer, yes the DLE 20 with a straight pipe is loud. Not too bad at idle but gets plenty loud when opened up. We had one day of good weather and I finally got to fly the Hurricane. The DLE 20 started and ran ok. This engine has power to spare in this 10 lb model. Verticle is as much as I will ever need, almost unlimited. In a 45 degree up line it will roll as long as you want. Huge loops. Throttle is a little touchy on the bottom end. I'll need to work on the linkage a little. It was running a little rich. Still turning 8,750-8,800 with 15-8 three blade prop. Since this engine will work on a 60 size warbird, I have no need for a glow engine.

microdon2 02-20-2011 09:12 PM

Coronabob - looks like you tripled the aileron size with your custom job. Like that mod. Must roll like crazy!

a1pcfixer 02-21-2011 08:28 AM

Over on the DLE20cc thread, jstanton is claiming his has inner threads in the prop shaft.
So far, he seems the first to claim such.

Has DLE started a new trend on these DLE20's?
Does he have a hybrid that leaked out of the factory?

dan4466 02-21-2011 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Over on the DLE20cc thread, jstanton is claiming his has inner threads in the prop shaft.
So far, he seems the first to claim such.

Has DLE started a new trend on these DLE20's?
Does he have a hybrid that leaked out of the factory?
I just got a new one a couple days ago and it doesn't have the inner threads.

w8ye 02-21-2011 09:39 AM

There's a cavity in the nose of the crank that is larger than the normal center drill cavity but there are no threads.

The Brison 3.2 is this way also.

The BME 50 has a hole in the factory front stud but it is a hex key socket.

a1pcfixer 02-21-2011 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

There's a cavity in the nose of the crank that is larger than the normal center drill cavity but there are no threads.

Both of mine are that way as well. I'm asking only because he may have gotten a hybrid.
jstanton is off to the hardware store looking for a bolt.[&:]

For those interested; [afaik] that cavity is there (for DLE in house use) for mounting on a centerless grinder -or- CNC lathe during mfg, so other machining can be done. It has no function for us the end user.

coronabob 02-21-2011 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Coronabob - looks like you tripled the aileron size with your custom job. Like that mod. Must roll like crazy!
Yes, it rolls like mad. Have not flown it on 3D rates. The DLE20 ran super rich yesterday since it was warm and I happened to tune it on a recent freezing day. It was drinking mor than it should. I am putting in a 7 oz tank, redo my landing gear with alum bracing on both sides and find out how this combo does on a decent day.

Neo gold 02-22-2011 09:11 AM

Mines arrived! &amp; at home waiting for mehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif..the Kyo 90 sized spit is sat on the bench awaiting transplant!..
If the weather holds out for the weekened it'll get a good spanking!!.

rc34074 02-22-2011 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Neo gold

Awesome!!...i have the exact same plane with a saito 115...'soon to be removed & sold with the rest of the greedy glow's!!'...
Thankyou
One of the pilots at my field has an ESM mustang (about 70-71 inch wingspan as I recall) in which he has installed a dle30 with a Keleo Creations exhaust. Looks great, and from his reports it flies fine although he states in his posts here on RCU that the CG ESM gives is too far back. You can find his posts in the ARF area under a thread about the ESM p51.

Another pilot in our club has the 71 inch ESM spitfire with a Syssa SAP180 30cc gas engine - and he says it flies very well with that engine.

So maybe you want to consider the DLE30 or the Syssa SAP180 instead of the dle20 for the 70-71 inch ESM warbirds.

I believe that somewhere there are posts of pilots putting the DLE55 in the ESM 70-71 inch warbirds. But I don't know much more than these posts about how well the ESM planes handle the power of the DLE55, or for that matter the DLE30. Plus since I haven't examined the construction of an ESM warbird I don't know if they are strong enough to tolerate that much power over time.

But I thought you might be interested in reading about the p51 at least.

Ed

SpinnerRow 02-22-2011 11:21 AM

I have a DLE 20 on a 64" 9.5lb World Models P-51 and that is about as perfect a match as they come. I think the DLE 20 would fly the bigger ESM P-51 but it wouldn't fly it they way I like to fly my P-51 (WOT Strafing runs and such as fast as possible). The 70" ESM probably has a big enough cowl (read wide enough to fit the engine/muffler inside the cowl) to put a 30 in it and that is what I would want to put in one. The DLE 20 would fly it without a dobut but it will be very scale like.

jstanton 02-23-2011 10:08 AM

I went to the harware store looking for a bolt that would fit the center tapped shaft of the DLE-20. While I was there Frank the hardware man said someone had hand tapped this engine and did not do a very good job. I got this DLE-20 from one of my club members who desided he was not going to use it on anything he had. I called and talked to him and he said he did try to type the center of it for a 8 -32 bolt but it did not work very well. I don't think the engine is damaged in any way so I went out and got a 8x1mm prop adapter from hanger 9 that fits the DLE-20 and AT-6 spinner I have. Sorry for causing all this uproar over the shaft being center tapped. I should have contacted my friend at the club first.:eek: