RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

Hog78 02-12-2010 07:27 AM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Wow, all these people who never do anything wrong. I thought I was in the RC hobby here.

That's where we only LIE about never doing anything wron.....Oh, never mind. Guess the hobby is alive and well!

Anyway, here are the photos I took tonight at the club meeting. The guys couldn't wait to take a good look at that Syssa on the nose, so I pulled the Cowl for them to have a better look.

Not too much interest...yeah, right! LOL
[8D] I bet that guy in the blue coat will buy a Syssa if he hasnt done so already!! Nice plane hopefuly me Sbach 342 from pilot rc will be here at the end of the month..

ghoffman 02-12-2010 07:31 AM

Nice plane hopefuly me Sbach 342 from pilot rc will be here at the end of the month..
Please keep us informed about the Sbach, I am thinking about it as well for my Syssa.
<br type="_moz" />

ol_seabee 02-12-2010 09:08 AM

Here,, I'll add some more experience base ultimate knowledge :D

-
quote:
"The correct way to start a gas powered model airplane engine is to set the throttle to idle (or 1-2 clicks maybe)

close choke

turn engine ignition on

And flip until the engine fires.....

Then open choke and flip a couple more times until engine starts... All of my high quality gas engines start the same way and with a wood prop at idle.... they stay running once they start

-

addendum:

Set wood prop at ~10 oclock for compression/fire

and like captinjohn said you arc your flip away @ compression

I never wopped my knuckles even once with a gas motor but then I been handstarting model airplane engine for 35 years and gas for 12 :D

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9483730/tm.htm

cmoulder 02-12-2010 10:30 AM

I never wopped my knuckles even once with a gas motor but then I been handstarting model airplane engine for 35 years and gas for 12
We've gotta start a club: The Prop Virgins... never been whacked.:D:D

Checklst 02-12-2010 12:34 PM

(I'm in) never been touched by a gas or glow prop in 27 years.........I have flown a lot in thoes years, so many planes I have lost count. Good safety practices and Above all KEEP YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME............of course as I get older thats harder to do, the old gray matter is going fast.........Getting old is not for wimps!!!!!LOL

w8ye 02-12-2010 12:47 PM

I've been caught twice 40 yrs apart. Actually due to carelessness

There are two kinds of hand starters - Those that have and those that will get struck!

Truckracer 02-12-2010 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Checklst

(I'm in) never been touched by a gas or glow prop in 27 years.........I have flown a lot in thoes years, so many planes I have lost count. Good safety practices and Above all KEEP YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME............of course as I get older thats harder to do, the old gray matter is going fast.........Getting old is not for wimps!!!!!LOL

Must not have flown much 1/2A or pylon racing with tiny props in the pre electric starter days.

RPool 02-12-2010 03:10 PM

Awesome video, exactly what I wanted to see. Thanks!

AJsToyz 02-12-2010 03:35 PM

Thats a good easy way to see an engine when you can't hold it, good job!! :D

cmoulder 02-12-2010 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I've been caught twice 40 yrs apart. Actually due to carelessness

There are two kinds of hand starters - Those that have and those that will get struck!

40 years apart?!!

That's a pretty darn good record, so we'll have to make space for honorary virgins.:eek:

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-12-2010 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

Sir, that is the most beautiful plane on this forum, VERY well done. It proves that you do not have to do 3-D to be interesting. However, I just finished a 3-D plane (OMP 47 inch Edge with an OS 55) the same day I received my Syssa! Now to figure out what airframe to put it on. I am thinking of the Extreme Flight Extra, because it has the pipe tunnel. It also seems to have the nicest hardware, one of my pet peeves on ARF's. I hate the crap hardware that I seem to spend another $100 on anyway. Here is a video I made of the choke thing and overall impressions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW05tgoSzi4
<br type=''_moz'' />

Thank you for the kind words about my Coupe. I'm looking forward to flying weather now!

Excellent video! I agree, the choke is really no issue

I have the Extreme Flight Yak 54 in a 74", and I'd like to have a Syssa on it, but I already mounted up a CRRC 26CC before I found out about Todd's engines. You're right about the hardware. I actually got mine New but without box, so some of it was missing, but most was still there. VERY impressive hardware and I really like the paired fiber horns that epoxy in. SUPER nice. That model just BEGS for a nice SYSSA. I know mine will hover and even climb out (Like I care) with the CRRC 26CC, but adding a Syssa to that would make it climb out impressively and still keep it nice and light, for the many who like 3D. Extreme Flight makes a heck of a nice model.

karolh 02-12-2010 09:13 PM

Wish that I could say that I have not been wacked but I have, but so far not by a gasser. In my early C/L days I had a Cox .049 trainer that just loved to chew on my right index finger but it was all good fun. Just wrapped it up with a handkerchief and kept going.

Karol

cmoulder 02-13-2010 06:23 AM

Sir, that is the most beautiful plane on this forum, VERY well done. It proves that you do not have to do 3-D to be interesting. However, I just finished a 3-D plane (OMP 47 inch Edge with an OS 55) the same day I received my Syssa! Now to figure out what airframe to put it on. I am thinking of the Extreme Flight Extra, because it has the pipe tunnel. It also seems to have the nicest hardware, one of my pet peeves on ARF's. I hate the crap hardware that I seem to spend another $100 on anyway. Here is a video I made of the choke thing and overall impressions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW05tgoSzi4
<br type=''_moz'' />

Thank you for the kind words about my Coupe. I'm looking forward to flying weather now!

Excellent video! I agree, the choke is really no issue

I have the Extreme Flight Yak 54 in a 74'', and I'd like to have a Syssa on it, but I already mounted up a CRRC 26CC before I found out about Todd's engines. You're right about the hardware. I actually got mine New but without box, so some of it was missing, but most was still there. VERY impressive hardware and I really like the paired fiber horns that epoxy in. SUPER nice. That model just BEGS for a nice SYSSA. I know mine will hover and even climb out (Like I care) with the CRRC 26CC, but adding a Syssa to that would make it climb out impressively and still keep it nice and light, for the many who like 3D. Extreme Flight makes a heck of a nice model.

That is indeed a gorgeous ARF!

Glad to see the Chinese and the other Asian producers turning their attention to the classic airplanes and warbirds. Seagull (Vietnamese? I think) now has a few models in its line-up that would work well with a quality gasser.

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-13-2010 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the good words, Bob.

We're hoping that Golden Skies R/C will be able to revive the supply line for the Clip-Wing Coupe. About two weeks after mine arrived I found out that Pacific Aeromodels was closing out their whole line. Golden Skies R/C is in the same town and they have been in negotiations.....hopefully they will be successful negotiations.

I had a Seagull Edge 540, but it was a bit heavy with a Saito 100 on it, I wasn't fond of the flight characteristics. I think it needed to be just a bit larger and have a little more wing. Boy, though, what a pretty bird! I wonder if I still have the photos...I added a few graphics to it.. And that black canopy would melt in the Texas sun, had to keep it under cover every minute... At any rate, it would be nice to see that in a stepped-up size that would fit the Syssa 30CC..

captinjohn 02-13-2010 09:53 AM

:D

blw 02-13-2010 10:08 AM

Let's move back to Syssa engines.......

AJsToyz 02-13-2010 10:14 AM

Jim,

I'm glad you posted them pics. I was actually looking at putting a Syssa SAP 180 in that airframe. The Syssa engine would fly that with out a doubt but now I know 100% it would be a bad combination.

Andy

blw 02-13-2010 10:47 AM

Sorry to have posted that nudge to get back on topic. I missed the relevance in Jim's post. Yep, good pics.

ol_seabee 02-13-2010 11:29 AM

I wouldn't buy an expensive gas engine without real perfoormance data

HP rating is helpful

Vids are helpful too if you know what prop is used and it's a normal prop that people can relate to.. plane weight etc..

This should be where this motor is proven and shown off imo

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9483730/tm.htm

How 'bout normal aerobatic prop on stock muffler RPM data?

AJsToyz 02-13-2010 11:38 AM

Is all advertised HP actual? I doubt it, you can only go off comparisons done in similar temps, props, airframes, and over all flying conditions.

Andy

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-13-2010 02:33 PM

Hi Andy,

WOW, would that ever be a bad combo. Just too much engine and weight for that. But I sure would like to see a larger size that WOULD handle the Syssa. PREEEETTY bird.

By the way, guys, if anybody does not have a Manual for the SAP180, I still have a pdf copy from October or November saved here and I can E-Mail it all day to you.

Todd had mailed it to me.

Just let me know if you need it and we'll exchange addresses, I'll be happy to send it.

~ Jim ~

JohnB96041 02-13-2010 02:56 PM

Great....I would like a copy emailed to me. Very interested in this engine for a Funtana 125. Email: [email protected],

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-13-2010 03:02 PM

It's on its way to you now, John. Should be there.

~ Jim ~

AJsToyz 02-13-2010 03:08 PM

Jim,

You might have sent it to me once, but send it again I can't seem to find it.

Andy

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-13-2010 03:28 PM

You could have told me in that E-Mail ten minutes ago! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

LOL....Okay, It's coming at you!

AJsToyz 02-13-2010 03:50 PM

:eek::D

Scooterpilot 02-13-2010 09:37 PM

The only good about California is the weather was fantastic today.

Today, I added five flights on the motor, so I've burned just a little over 3/4 of a gallon of gas in the motor. The Funtana has unlimited vertical climb. I did do a couple of torkrolls today and found I was between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. Above 1/2 throttle the motor provides positive authority to pull the model vertical. [8D]

It should be a couple more weeks (weather permitting) and I'll have the motor broke in. :eek: Flat spins were great with no issues. Engine recovery is crisp and quick.

The very last flight of the day the motor died when I landed. Why? Because I ran it out of fuel. DUH. But at least the timing was good. :)

ghoffman 02-13-2010 09:48 PM

Those darn Syssa's don't run very well without gas. Neither does my Corvette BTW.

Scooterpilot 02-13-2010 10:19 PM

I haven't run my 08 Vett out of gas YET. Let's just not go there.[8D]

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-13-2010 11:50 PM

I haven't run mine out of the dealerhsip yet.......Of course, I wasn't planning on getting one....which works out, since it ain't looking good!

I'll just stick with my Syssa....

MsgtRob 02-14-2010 02:14 AM

Ran mine today at Ave J,
Started fine, 3 good flights. Then after sitting for 20 minutes, it would not start again. Flipped, choked, purged, no choke, recharge battery, reset low and High needles, removed low and high needles to clean, reste to factory spec, etc...no go.
I packed it up...pulled the engine at home, pulled the plug checked gap, changed ignition battery (could here the click so I know it has spark), cleaned the screen in the walbro, my tank fuel filter, cleared all the lines, checked routing, no leaks...reinstalled everything, will try it again tomorrow.
Oh, and I had lots of fuel...
It did pop twice and throw the undersized prop nut. that was startling! THe weather was awesome but I couldn't get the final flight I was after. Try again tomorrow

I started with 7000 RPM's on the 18 X8 last measured at 7250. Temps on head were 120-150F during break in
Edited for 18 x8 prop..not 18 X 6.

Hog78 02-14-2010 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

Ran mine today at Ave J,
Started fine, 3 good flights. Then after sitting for 20 minutes, it would not start again. Flipped, choked, purged, no choke, recharge battery, reset low and High needles, removed low and high needles to clean, reste to factory spec, etc...no go.
I packed it up...pulled the engine at home, pulled the plug checked gap, changed ignition battery (could here the click so I know it has spark), cleaned the screen in the walbro, my tank fuel filter, cleared all the lines, checked routing, no leaks...reinstalled everything, will try it again tomorrow.
It did pop twice and throw the undersized prop nut. that was startling! THe weather was awesome but I couldn't get the final flight I was after. Try again tomorrow

I started with 7000 RPM's on the 18 X6 last measured at 7250. Temps on head were 120-150F during break in
It sounds just like my g-26 did to me one day it was the ignition module. you have a spare to check it? lucky dog you got to fly winter is bad this year for flying.

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Hog78

Ran mine today at Ave J,

I started with 7000 RPM's on the 18 X6 last measured at 7250. Temps on head were 120-150F during break in
It sounds just like my g-26 did to me one day it was the ignition module. you have a spare to check it? lucky dog you got to fly winter is bad this year for flying.
My 26cc did about the same thing, I could only get it started with an electric starter after that and would not idle. If you took the rpm's to low it would throw the prop every time!

What size battery pack are you using MsgtRob / Cell count and mah ?

Andy

ghoffman 02-14-2010 08:30 AM

Please let us know what happened to make it not start again. I am planning on using a 5 cell, 6V, 700 mah NiCad through the Syssa IBEC. I really like the switches with the 3 LED's that let me know if the internally battery is fully up, marginal or dead:
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Lucida Grande'; font-size: 10px; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); white-space: pre; ">http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nes/5170_t.jpg
</span>

cmoulder 02-14-2010 08:43 AM

Please let us know what happened to make it not start again. I am planning on using a 5 cell, 6V, 700 mah NiCad through the Syssa IBEC. I really like the switches with the 3 LED's that let me know if the internally battery is fully up, marginal or dead:
<span class=''Apple-style-span'' style=''font-family: 'Lucida Grande'; font-size: 10px; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); white-space: pre; ''>http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nes/5170_t.jpg
</span>
You're plugging the IBEC into the Rx, correct? The IBEC gets its power and its optical kill switch capability from the Rx/Rx batts.

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 08:44 AM

I was about to ask who made the switch but I see its an MPI, I like the lights! :D I have mine set up with an A123 6.6V pack with the IBEC that Todd is selling on his website. I'm going to mount the led close to the windshield so its easy to see.

Andy

ghoffman 02-14-2010 08:47 AM

Yes, I wonder what voltage out of Todd's IBEC into the ignition is? The MPI switch is setup for 4.8V but if you cut off a jumper, it then is setup for 6V. I have them on 3 planes.

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

<span style="" lucida="">http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nes/5170_t.jpg
</span>
You're plugging the IBEC into the Rx, correct? The IBEC gets its power and its optical kill switch capability from the Rx/Rx batts.

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-14-2010 08:49 AM

Ran mine today at Ave J,

I'm sure you'll get it figured out. What battery were you using?

Once in a while, you get a bad ignition module, it is possible that could be it. Sounds suspiciously like it, I have to admit. Do you have another ignition handy to test with?

I use double-jam nuts on my prop hubs, nobody should listen to the old wive's tail that the 2-stroke gassers don't backfire. They backfire upon occasion, and like you said, when they DO backfire, they surprise you, and the prop comes off. I've never been too fond of trying to keep track of a (large) spinning prop that's no longer on the prop shaft!!

Let us know what you find, we'll be interested to hear what it was.

cmoulder 02-14-2010 09:00 AM

Yes, I wonder what voltage out of Todd's IBEC into the ignition is? The MPI switch is setup for 4.8V but if you cut off a jumper, it then is setup for 6V. I have them on 3 planes.
I don't know, but if I recall correctly the ign module is rated for 4.8-6V.

If you are plugging the IBEC into the Rx, you don't need a separate switch for it. On/off is controlled with a Tx switch. All power comes from the Rx batteries. That's the beauty of it - it eliminates the ign battery and switch, and you get optical kill, to boot![sm=thumbup.gif]

ghoffman 02-14-2010 09:04 AM

I still want a hard kill switch for the primary power, plus it is an easy charge port.