Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

What many of you have failed to realize is that there are multiple issues with the airframes... Some have the stab tube out of alignment, either left or right... Some have the wing tube out of alignment, either left or right... On some the verticle fin is out of alignment... Most complain that the mounting holes for the canopies don't align properly...

No "instructional video" is going to provide enough insight on how to correct every problem that has cropped up with this first batch of Yaks...

Sure, we can dremel the tube mounting points and re-glue them so we have a square airframe, but what is that going to do to the openings in the sides of the fuse where the wings slide in, or to the blind nut mounting points for the horizontal stab???

If I had wanted to take the time to build a kit, I would have done so... My goal was to get a Ferrari with minimal effort from a building perspective... Personally, I would rather fly than build...

Maybe this is all related to working out the kinks in the first production run of this model, which is to be expected to a certain degree... I would have hoped that the final QC process would have caught most of these issues prior to placing product in customer's hands...

After all the talk and chest-beating about how EF rejected the first batch of "poor quality" Yaks at great personal sacrifice, it appears that the quality issue is biting EF is the ass again...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging Chris or EF... Certain things are outside of our controll when you involve manufacturers on the other side of the planet... I commend Chris for attempting to rectify the situation...

But I still want a straight airframe...

Mark

Old 03-08-2005, 03:10 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

FYI:

There is a New In Box 87" EF Yak for sale in the Marketplace....

$650 + Shipping
Old 03-08-2005, 03:29 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

......and FORGET about any type of controlled 3D flight...no Walls, no Elevators, no Harriers, etc

I have to disagree...
IMO, 3D is the last place you'd see any negative effects from a low stab / Crooked fuse etc..
3D flight is slow.
Trim, Incidence, warped surfaces etc wont show up untill the airplane is at a constant, moderate speed.
I have flown some awesome 3D planes that were so messed up as far as throws, incidence, thrust angles it would make you sick.
The only times the negative effects show up on those planes is when the plane is flying with speed.

Perfect example is I flew 35% a few weeks ago. The planes owner is someone who 3D's that plane as good as anyone out there. He makes it look awesome when he's flipping and flopping it.
I tried to fly some sequence stuff with it and thought there was something wrong. I landed and started to look over things.. NOTHING was set up correctly.
All I am trying to say is that stuff like this doesnt show up in 3D.
Okay, do a Pop-up, or Wall from high speed level flight, cut throttle, yank elevator...a straight plane should pop straight up, but a crooked plane will not. It is not actually a 3D maneuver, but it puts you into a 3D flight attitude...
I am new to 3D as I have been out of the hobby for the past 3 years, so I will still be doing a lot of "regular" aerobatics where a straight airframe is more important. I have emailed Chris and requested a new fuse, even if I have to wait, and I will remain a faithful customer, although I am a relatively new one
Old 03-08-2005, 03:32 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

As I said before, if your fuselage is not fixable to your satisfaction, I will replace it with a new one. I will inspect every airplane that leaves our shop. It is your choice if you want to do the fix yourself or if you want a new fuselage. I will do whatever it takes to satisfy my customers. Just give me a chance.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Right on Chris! I have sent you an email already. I think you need a new wood supplier...
Old 03-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Mudsurfer1234

Come on guys, you're being mean to a very kind and caring gentleman, He is just trying make everyone happy but nothing can happen in 10 seconds, besides, it's winter anyway, it's not like if you wait a few extra days you're missing really great flying days, (this message goes mostly to Dave =763 or whatever numbers it is)

Chris is doing alot more then any other company would do, so he deserves respect.

I am straight btw lol that's jsut to lighten the mood,

And i haven't said it yet, but Congratulations Chris on the engagement!!! And you are doing some incredibly nice htings by fixing these. I am going to check mine now, and if it's crooked, oh well, im not good enough of a flyer to tell the difference. Plus I don't want to take up chris's time of shipping out other yaks by makin him fix mine, ill wait till he's got some down time, which might not be a while, but oh well.

Also,

If i flew the airplane, would it still be eligible for the replaced fuselage? if not, ill wait to fly if it's crooked.

Way to go Chris!!
Scott
Old 03-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

OK ...I'm getting happy again. I clamped the engine box to a saw horse, clamped a plastic level to the rear of the fuse and I twisted the tail to the right, misted the inside of the plane with a little water, dried it with a heat gun reshrunk the covering and presto a straight fuse! I think I'll keep it now.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:04 PM
dgfick

hahahahahahaha

talk about a 180, sounded like you were about ready to torch the plane
Old 03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I certainly understand your disappointment. I don't think anyone with this issue isn't disappointed to some degree.

I didn't say I'd fly it like that, I said I would do the mod and then fly it. I can't see your pic very well, but it looks like the fin is canted to the left 1/2 a hinge hole.

I look at my fin and from my eye's perspective I don't see any problem. I'm not going to setup an elaborate plumb bob & digital level test bed to determine if it's a half hole off. If I did that I doubt I'd be able to fly any ARF.

No it's not perfect. Could I make it perfect? Yes. Would I go through the trouble? No. I do not think that much of a fin misalignment will cause much more than a click of mixing to eliminate added coupling.

Now this is not to infer that this will remain the quality of these ARF's... nor that anyone should expect less than perfect. I suspect there's a few chinese arf builder's searching for buttocks right now and that this one flaw is fixed.

My point is you have been given an opportunity to either get a replacement fuse or take a $100 discount, fix it then fly it sooner.

For me... I'll fix it and fly it. Because I honestly think this will eb the best flying plane I've owned to date. It would be a shame if you miss out on it.

ORIGINAL: Dave763

I am so disapointed I don't even want this plane now. Maudib, with all your fine attention to detail I am surprised to hear you say that it looks ok to you. Even more surprised to hear you say you would fly it like that.
I wish I had the time to build as this seems to be the only way to get a decent plane. Now I know why so many top pilots fly kits rather than arfs.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Dave763

I was ready to light it up...but look at it now!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73129.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	240442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17483.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	240443  
Old 03-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

That's good to hear... I actually was able to minimize mine to 1/2 it's original problem just with the covering alone.

Sounds like you have come up with a yet easier fix. I think once you fly it you'll be SOOOOOO glad you didn't sell it.

OK ...I'm getting happy again. I clamped the engine box to a saw horse, clamped a plastic level to the rear of the fuse and I twisted the tail to the right, misted the inside of the plane with a little water, dried it with a heat gun reshrunk the covering and presto a straight fuse! I think I'll keep it now.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:25 PM
matus777

OK....kidding or serious Dave? If you want the twist to stay untwisted don't you need to use water and amonia as a combo? Can you be a bit more specific as to how you did this as the fuse is really stiff.

Would it be possible to supply a few photos as to how this was accomplished or perhaps share it with Chris so he could supply some more detailed instructions/video? When you say you sprayed some water.....how much and in what area and for how long before re-twisting and for how long was the pressure and cure allowed to work? Lastly did you over correct or just go to the correct position...Thanks!
Dave763

Such a easy fix I guess Chris can keep the hundred bucks. At least that fixed mine. Now when the wing tube is level so is the stab tube.
I think humidity and temp changes are what caused this.
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

I clamped the engine box to a saw horse, clamped a plastic level to the rear of the fuse and I twisted the tail to the right, misted the inside of the plane with a little water, dried it with a heat gun reshrunk the covering and presto a straight fuse!
If it was that easy to UN-twist, now I'm wondering if they did twist on their own (during shipping and climate changes) maybe they were built straight afterall. Of course if you parallel the tubes and still have a crooked fin, then you're in trouble.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:26 PM
mwick

Auw come on Wayne, it wasn't that bad. Just a few idiosyncrasies you weren't ready for.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

INSTEAD OF BURNING THE PLANE, I THINK YOU SOULD BURN THOSE CURTAINS!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Dave763

I used water and denatured alcohol. I misted the rear of the plane where all the stringers are. Not to sure how much, just till it looked wet. I twisted a little more than it needed, held it in place while I dried the wood with a heat gun and reshrunk the covering. It looks perfect now
ORIGINAL: matus777

OK....kidding or serious Dave? If you want the twist to stay untwisted don't you need to use water and amonia as a combo? Can you be a bit more specific as to how you did this as the fuse is really stiff.

Would it be possible to supply a few photos as to how this was accomplished or perhaps share it with Chris so he could supply some more detailed instructions/video? When you say you sprayed some water.....how much and in what area and for how long before re-twisting and for how long was the pressure and cure allowed to work? Lastly did you over correct or just go to the correct position...Thanks!

Name:	Tr51077.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	240455   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44589.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	240456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20099.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	240457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88218.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	240458  
Old 03-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Dave763

I should have got new ones. they are the same ones that were there when I bought the house. I can't see them from the flying field.
ORIGINAL: Ricmussman

INSTEAD OF BURNING THE PLANE, I THINK YOU SOULD BURN THOSE CURTAINS!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Dave763

Yeah the curtains suc. But did you see how the tubes are now parallel?

Name:	Wu60711.jpg
Views:	13
ID:	240465  
Old 03-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Dave763

Before and after shots

Name:	Lj22064.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	240474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49443.jpg
Views:	16
ID:	240475  
Old 03-08-2005, 04:54 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Dave,

Did you peel back the covering and mist the wood and then reapply it?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 04:57 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I plan on fixing mine, I can't wait much longer or I'm gonna bust. I need to get this thing in the air!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Dave763

No I misted it from the inside.
ORIGINAL: SydDythers

Dave,

Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 05:02 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

hmm..ok,

how'd you get at it with heat gun without burning the covering?

thanks!

Dave,

Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Dave763

I kept it moving...be careful...maybe just let it dry on its own, might be safer.

hmm..ok,

how'd you get at it with heat gun without burning the covering?

thanks!

Dave,

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.