Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

......and FORGET about any type of controlled 3D flight...no Walls, no Elevators, no Harriers, etc

I have to disagree...
IMO, 3D is the last place you'd see any negative effects from a low stab / Crooked fuse etc..
3D flight is slow.
Trim, Incidence, warped surfaces etc wont show up untill the airplane is at a constant, moderate speed.
I have flown some awesome 3D planes that were so messed up as far as throws, incidence, thrust angles it would make you sick.
The only times the negative effects show up on those planes is when the plane is flying with speed.

Perfect example is I flew 35% a few weeks ago. The planes owner is someone who 3D's that plane as good as anyone out there. He makes it look awesome when he's flipping and flopping it.
I tried to fly some sequence stuff with it and thought there was something wrong. I landed and started to look over things.. NOTHING was set up correctly.
All I am trying to say is that stuff like this doesnt show up in 3D.
Haha I think he's talking about me
Old 03-08-2005, 05:11 PM
coche
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told you guys some post ago! the problem with the fuse its all the weather changes! there is nothing wrong with the building! I think the only solution to have all the yaks perfect its to protect them better for the trip from china! the trip on the boat has lots of weather changes! also lots of humidity!

I also think that the wood was a little bit fresh by the time those planes were made! fresh wood its very easy to twist when it dries!

I think that Chris its giving us a state of the art design! you cant find better quality on any other ARF! just think if you had bought this planes to any of the other big companys like grat planes, hangar 9 all the trouble you would had to get a new fuse?? you will have to ship the plane to them, they will inspected and probably they will tell you that it was your foult!

Chris its giving good solutions to every one!

if I had a twisted fuse I will fix it just like dave did and will ask for a electric yak insted of the 100 dlls!!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:18 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: bwick

Haha I think he's talking about me

LOL.
That didnt take long for you guys to figure out.

My point was stuff like this isnt going to show up while 3D'ing

Old 03-08-2005, 05:21 PM
matus777

Hey Dave ...AWESOME MAN.......only one problem for me and in order to get all that equipment used to do the twisting etc., i'm going to have to tear down my my S&M chamber....or go to a neighbor's house...but it'll be worth it!....Thanks for the dogged efforts!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Chris has been more than generous with his offer. I respect him for that. He is obviously in this for the long haul. This is by far the best ARF I have ever seen. As I whined and complained I never meant to imply that Extreme flight was putting out junk. I vented and made snide remarks, for that I am sorry.
The problem with my plane had nothing to do with how it was built but rather the humidity and temp changes that it had to endure on the long journey here.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:16 PM
wgeffon

Curisoity got the best of me. I just checked mine.
Keep in mind, my plane is flying with practically ZERO trim and I have NO mixing set in the radio.
Mine has the low stab tube on the right as well.

Heres the sequence video we made of my plane on the first day out.
http://video.shutupandfly.com/Unlimited2005.wmv

Other than a somewhat sloppy sequence flown by me, do you see any ill effects with the plane?

I am not trying to say that if you want a new fuse you shouldnt get one. Or, if your so inclined, fix it yourself. My point is, it aint that big of a deal.

What am I going to do about it? NOTHING.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28857.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	240532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47212.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	240533  
Old 03-08-2005, 06:18 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Has chris indicated when he will send new parts to the guys that need them? Anybody talk to him today? I tried but was unsucessful

John
Old 03-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Dave763

Wow, thats the spirit. Why worry about it. Wish I would have thought of that before I got myself all worked up
ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Curisoity got the best of me. I just checked mine.
Keep in mind, my plane is flying with practically ZERO trim and I have NO mixing set in the radio.
Mine has the low stab tube on the right as well.

Heres the sequence video we made of my plane on the first day out.
http://video.shutupandfly.com/Unlimited2005.wmv

Other than a somewhat sloppy sequence flown by me, do you see any ill effects with the plane?

I am not trying to say that if you want a new fuse you shouldnt get one. Or, if your so inclined, fix it yourself. My point is, it aint that big of a deal.

What am I going to do about it? NOTHING.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:36 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Dave763

OK ...I'm getting happy again. I clamped the engine box to a saw horse, clamped a plastic level to the rear of the fuse and I twisted the tail to the right, misted the inside of the plane with a little water, dried it with a heat gun reshrunk the covering and presto a straight fuse! I think I'll keep it now.
do I get any credit for thinking of that?

John
Old 03-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Dave763

Yes it was your post that gave me the idea. But it was my measuring that made me want to try it. Thank you John for the idea. The fuse looks great now. I am very happy. The levels and the plumb line tell me it is all lined up nice.
ORIGINAL: jrjohn

OK ...I'm getting happy again. I clamped the engine box to a saw horse, clamped a plastic level to the rear of the fuse and I twisted the tail to the right, misted the inside of the plane with a little water, dried it with a heat gun reshrunk the covering and presto a straight fuse! I think I'll keep it now.
do I get any credit for thinking of that?

John
Old 03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Dave763

Wait.... this is the post I meant
ORIGINAL: bodyworks

I know these pics are not accuraate, but my H stab IS purpendicular to the vert stab

Given this info, and the fact that everyone's fuse seems to be off a different amount from each others, it appears that there is a quality issue with the wood itself, not the jig. If these airplanes are being built with wood that is too fresh, and given that China has a humid climate, the wood is twisting up once it gets to our drier climate. I supposed one could re jig it, wet it, and re-cure it, but I don't know how permanent that would be...
Old 03-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Gotta_Fly
My Feedback: (2)

Well guys i rest my case,, go back to what I said at first, people love him then hate him, then love him again, do me a favor and please done like me I beg you....

Old 03-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Dave763

Huh? Whatever dude.
ORIGINAL: Gotta_Fly

Well guys i rest my case,, go back to what I said at first, people love him then hate him, then love him again, do me a favor and please done like me I beg you....

Old 03-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Dave763

Ok you do get credit

Here is a silly little Idea that has a decent cchance of working. ( My brain works really good in the morning. However at night I can hardly tie my shoes.)

Take a spray bottle and mist the inside of the airplane. then secure it to your workbench. Water won't hurt the covering, and if you just mist it, you shouldn't harm the glue. Using your wingtube and stab tube put an opposite twist in the fus. with a makeshift jig. ie wook clamps ect. Over twist it slightly.(just a hair) Then reshrink your covering and either use a hairdryer on low heat, or let the thing dry on it's own. make sure it remains jiged and slightly over twisted the entire time. I'd let it sit for atleast a day either way.

just thought of the jig. Get two pipes, dowels or simular. extend your wingtube and stab tube with such. then add weight to opposite sides out at the end of the dowl. an old sock with sand will hang on it just fine. adjust your weight to get the right twist.

John
Old 03-08-2005, 08:17 PM
jrjohn

Ok you do get credit

Here is a silly little Idea that has a decent cchance of working. ( My brain works really good in the morning. However at night I can hardly tie my shoes.)

Take a spray bottle and mist the inside of the airplane. then secure it to your workbench. Water won't hurt the covering, and if you just mist it, you shouldn't harm the glue. Using your wingtube and stab tube put an opposite twist in the fus. with a makeshift jig. ie wook clamps ect. Over twist it slightly.(just a hair) Then reshrink your covering and either use a hairdryer on low heat, or let the thing dry on it's own. make sure it remains jiged and slightly over twisted the entire time. I'd let it sit for atleast a day either way.

just thought of the jig. Get two pipes, dowels or simular. extend your wingtube and stab tube with such. then add weight to opposite sides out at the end of the dowl. an old sock with sand will hang on it just fine. adjust your weight to get the right twist.

John
Thankyou dave
John
Old 03-08-2005, 08:48 PM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Were you able to do that by yourself? If so, what kind of tooling did you use! Got pics???
Old 03-08-2005, 09:00 PM
bodywerks

nevermind
Old 03-08-2005, 10:13 PM
bodywerks

Decided to try the jig and twist...

Name:	Jh15019.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	240748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98797.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	240749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66025.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	240750  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:15 PM
bodywerks

...sprayed the entire wood structure with windex before twisting...
Old 03-08-2005, 10:16 PM
bodywerks

covering all wrinkled...

Name:	Nk27967.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	240751  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:17 PM
bodywerks

took a heat gun to those...

Name:	Ge96586.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	240752  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:18 PM
bodywerks

now the tubes are pretty parallel...
I did this all, pretty much on my way out the door to work. It took me 25 minutes. I am going to let the wood dry naturally, probably all weekend, while I monitor the position of the tubes. I am going to tell Chris to keep his fuse. I don't think these were the result of defects, just wet or bad wood. Another fuse could likely have the same problem...
Hopefully Chris has a few options on his wood sources;I think he will have to consider them...

Name:	Ig11956.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	240753  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:20 PM
jrjohn

Don't go too far, because I think you can actually get it going the other way

John
Old 03-08-2005, 10:22 PM
bodywerks

I didn't go too far, but I did slightly over twist it, as you can see in the pic with the paint can hanging on the lever. That's about how much I needed to get it to "settle" level.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:02 PM
r180reef
My Feedback: (7)

I just did the maden on mine aboout 2 hrs ago and all I can say is STFU and build your planes. Mine has a twist just like the rest of them and I flew it anyway. And guess what. It flew awesome. All your belly aching is doing is keeping you from flying a kick in the a** plane. I let two other people fly it also and the responce was the same. A loud and thunderous WOW. Build it, and go fly the piss out of it. I don't care what you think, WE ALL GOT OUR MONEY'S WORTH WITH THIS PLANE. Enjoy. I sure am going to enjoy mine. Thanks Chris for a great plane. Ron Kiel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.