Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

I know a bunch of you guys have been using the Smart Fly Fiber Optic kill switch..I have 2 of them on the way..When using this on the igniton, couldnt you eliminate the actual switch and just use the SF unit to turn the ignition on and off via your TX? You would need to unplug the packs at then end of the day cause they do draw some power even when off...I guess if you can, then the same would go for the RX?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:46 PM
islandflyer

Wayne,

I have been flying the 42% Extra 260 for one year, and it is a dream come true!

I have been following this thread for months now, and I have 3 of these YAKs on order (2 for my friends). This one has been stuck at the dream stage though. I just hope it will come true some day.....
Old 09-19-2005, 11:10 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: bpryor

CF landing gear

Hi Guys,

I have a KMP 87" Yak and I talked with Mike at Graph Tech to see if they were going to make CF gear for our planes. He said yes, but he needed dimensions. I figured I'd gather up the dimensions for the various brands of 84-87" Yaks out there and send them all to him. They should be close enough in dimension that he can make one that will fit them all, which I'm sure is what he'd want to do. So, if you guys can help out and send me the dimensions of your gear, it would help. Multiple responses are fine, since it would be nice to get multiple examples to make sure we're getting it right.

Here's what he'll need:

He needs three dimensions. A, B, C, D. Here is a description of what they are:

“A†is the width of the gear across the fuselage, “B†is the height from the top of the gear to the center of the axle, “C†is the width of the gear at the axles, “D†is the width at the top of the gear from front to back - at the mounting point.

They don't have a measurement for angle of the gear, but I'm pretty sure that will be close for all of them and I'll provide that measurement, but if you can you can add that to, that would be great. If you were looking down on the gear it would be the dimension from the front of the top of the gear to the front for the bottom of the gear.

Thanks in advance.
Is there really no one out there interested in CF gear, or at the very least, interested in donating 5 minutes of your time to measure your gear so someone else can benefit. You don't have to take it off, or use a micrometer, I just need close to accurate measurements. I'm doing this to give the EF owners the option of getting CF gear if they want; I certainly don't need any. It would be really nice if someone would please send me the requested dimensions.

Thank you.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:18 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

EF 87" Yak gear
Here you go Bill. HTH

The stock gear weighs 8.5 oz
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55609.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	326645  
Old 09-20-2005, 08:50 AM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: stomper

EF 87" Yak gear
Here you go Bill. HTH

The stock gear weighs 8.5 oz
Thank you Doug! I really appreciate it. You didn't have to go to all that work, but I appreciate that too....but believe it or not, you have some extra measurements, that will be helpful, but you're missing a couple I need. I need the distance between the axle mounting points(should be between 20-22") and the distance from to top of the gear vertically down to the axle hole. So if there was a line drawn between the axle mounting holes it would be the measurement from the top of the gear down to that line.

Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

The TNT website quotes the height of the gear at 10"...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:00 AM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

The TNT website quotes the height of the gear at 10"...

Thanks Torqued-Up. I had found that, but they didn't say whether that was total height, or the height to the axle, so I need to verify.

BTW, from the dimensions Doug gave it looks like the EF gear may be very close to the KMP gear, but the TOC gear seems to be quite a bit different, which is a surprise to me. I expected it to be identical to at least the KMP gear.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:10 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Graphtech RC is suppose to have carbon fiber gear for the 87" EF Yak any day now. I am not sure of the price, but I know he is making them. I will post more information after I talk with him today. I am a dealer for Graphtech and will be getting some in stock as soon as they are ready. Email me if any of you want some at [email protected]
Jeff Williams
Old 09-20-2005, 09:43 AM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: JWilliams

Graphtech RC is suppose to have carbon fiber gear for the 87" EF Yak any day now. I am not sure of the price, but I know he is making them. I will post more information after I talk with him today. I am a dealer for Graphtech and will be getting some in stock as soon as they are ready. Email me if any of you want some at [email protected]
Jeff Williams
Hi Jeff,

If you read my whole post you will see that I am working with Mike at Graph Tech to get all the dimensions so he can make the gear. He is not making the gear, but you're right, they will be available soon....after I get the dimensions to him that I've been requesting. I still need the balance of the dimensions from Doug for the EF(or you for that matter if you can get them to me), and the BME and QQ dimensions. Obviously, it is going to make the most sense for Graph Tech to make one set for all the 50cc Yaks if possible.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:47 AM
stomper

Shoot
Sorry about that Bill!
The reason I did it on MS paint was to try and show the sweep in the legs.
Here you go >

Name:	Xv65122.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	326717  
Old 09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
bpryor

Shoot
Sorry about that Bill!
Here you go >
Thanks Doug, that does it fine. Actually, you don't show any sweep in your first picture, but you do show the angle of the back of the leg. Sweep is actually where the front of the bottom of the gear is in front of the front of the top of the gear. The KMP has a 1" sweep forward, and the TOC has a 1.5" sweep.

Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:16 AM
stomper

ORIGINAL: bpryor

Shoot
Sorry about that Bill!
Here you go >
Thanks Doug, that does it fine. Actually, you don't show any sweep in your first picture, but you do show the angle of the back of the leg. Sweep is actually where the front of the bottom of the gear is in front of the front of the top of the gear. The KMP has a 1" sweep forward, and the TOC has a 1.5" sweep.

Thanks again.
The front of the leg is stright and the rear of the leg has a taper cut which sweeps the axle foreward some.
Bottom of leg is 7/8" and tapers on the back side of leg from the 1 3/4" at top.
I know.......not a very good explanation[]
Old 09-20-2005, 12:08 PM
bpryor

The front of the leg is stright and the rear of the leg has a taper cut which sweeps the axle foreward some.
Bottom of leg is 7/8" and tapers on the back side of leg from the 1 3/4" at top.
I know.......not a very good explanation[]
Thanks Doug, I think that clears it up. Both the TOC and KMP have a tapered back leg, but they also sweep forward. The front of the leg is not straight down from the front edge of the mounting point. Just to make absolutely sure about this, if you leveled your plane at the hatch line, the front of the gear leg is perpendicular to that line, and not angled forward?

I added a picture below, which I should have done like you in the first place, to show sweep.

Thanks again for all your help.

Name:	Jg14069.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	326757  
Old 09-20-2005, 01:49 PM
stomper

Hey Bill

your absolutely right!

Just checked my gear on a flat table with a square, and your right as I get about the same one inch sweep to the front. Just looking at the gear, I thought the front was straight. Wrong.

Man!.....not easy getting the right info out of me
Sorry about that, but I think you have the right info now.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:55 PM
bpryor

Hey Bill

your absolutely right!

Just checked my gear on a flat table with a square, and your right as I get about the same one inch sweep to the front. Just looking at the gear, I thought the front was straight. Wrong.

Man!.....not easy getting the right info out of me
Sorry about that, but I think you have the right info now.

No problem Doug. It's not you. It sounds easy, but getting it right doesn't seem so easy. I should have made the drawings in the first place and there wouldn't have been any confusion.

Anyway, thanks, that helps.

Bill
Old 09-20-2005, 02:35 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

I have sent my gear to Graphtech RC off of my 87in EF YAK so they can make one like it .
Old 09-20-2005, 02:43 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah Johnson

I know a bunch of you guys have been using the Smart Fly Fiber Optic kill switch..I have 2 of them on the way..When using this on the igniton, couldnt you eliminate the actual switch and just use the SF unit to turn the ignition on and off via your TX? You would need to unplug the packs at then end of the day cause they do draw some power even when off...I guess if you can, then the same would go for the RX?
Yes. That's what I did, and here's my logic:
One of the reasons they "require" this is because the smart-fly actually draws current, even with the rx turned off, and would slowy drain the battery when the plane's "in the hangar". I am running li-ions, and have to unplug my batteries after every day of flying, so that debunks that, and this is the main reason for them requiring the switch.

The other reason is safety. Well, if properly set-up (meaning, the receiver part is not subject to stray light, which could give it a false "on" signal), the ignition will not work without the radio system turned on. Also, assuming you needed to quiclky turn the engine off on the ground, the plane should be fairly secure, i.e held by another person or a plane holder, and should give you time to either cut the throttle back and pull the throttle trim all the way back to cutoff to kill the engine, or to simply turn the airplane power off. The ignition should then cutoff, by design. If it is a major catastrophe and your ignition control takes a complete dump and your setup is like mine, you can access the ignition battery connection and yank it to kill the engine. Mine has the quick-release hatch and my battery and plug are right there, in the open. If this one-in-a-million situation occured, I could yank that battery in under 10 seconds.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

Yes. That's what I did, and here's my logic:
One of the reasons they "require" this is because the smart-fly actually draws current, even with the rx turned off, and would slowy drain the battery when the plane's "in the hangar". I am running li-ions, and have to unplug my batteries after every day of flying, so that debunks that, and this is the main reason for them requiring the switch.

The other reason is safety. Well, if properly set-up (meaning, the receiver part is not subject to stray light, which could give it a false "on" signal), the ignition will not work without the radio system turned on. Also, assuming you needed to quiclky turn the engine off on the ground, the plane should be fairly secure, i.e held by another person or a plane holder, and should give you time to either cut the throttle back and pull the throttle trim all the way back to cutoff to kill the engine, or to simply turn the airplane power off. The ignition should then cutoff, by design. If it is a major catastrophe and your ignition control takes a complete dump and your setup is like mine, you can access the ignition battery connection and yank it to kill the engine. Mine has the quick-release hatch and my battery and plug are right there, in the open. If this one-in-a-million situation occured, I could yank that battery in under 10 seconds.
Cool! Im already running Fromeco's stuff and unplug at the end of each day already so thats not an issue for me either..I think Ill just eliminate the ignition switch and keep the pin for the RX..Ive read where its a good idea to wrap the rx module with electrical tape or shrink wrp to be sure its not tricked by any outside light..Im going tobe painting my canopy black so I doubt ill have that problem!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:26 PM
bpryor

OK, in case anyone is interested, here are the results of my landing gear measurement hunt. Thanks to the people that took the time to help me/you out.

See the image below:

Name:	Nl30910.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	326863  
Old 09-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Josey Wales

Just an FYI there is a NIB White one for sale in the Marketplace!
Old 09-24-2005, 12:28 PM
ripmax

Be nice people, flying season almost over in Ireland , to windy for my electric's. So I should be on here quite alot now, hehe.

If any of you are interested in the Ipod nano, you might find this interesting. I did. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeee. hehe.

Godspeed and fly safely.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

HOW EASY? So Easy my 10 year old can fly it!!!! This plane is really great. He did the take off, flight and landing all by himself......

My son wants to compete next year in IMAC with the Red Bull in the basic class. He still has a lot to learn but it won't be long till I am asking him if I can fuel up his plane that I bought for him[>:] I am sure that I will be the best pit boy around......

I tried to get better pics but I was too nervous watching him fly....

Pit Chief,
Ric Musselman

Pilot,
Nate Musselman

Name:	Wu60028.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	328937  
Old 09-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Ricmussman

I tried to get better pics but I was too nervous watching him fly....
Kinda like handing the keys to your Porsche Carrera to your 10 year old and tell him to "tear it up"...

I'd be nervous too!!!

Old 09-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Josey Wales

Can anyone verify of the red covering is Ultracote True Red?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:57 AM
torqmeister

Ric, that is awesome. Keep up the good work. It is wonderful to have your son involved in the hobby with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.