Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:27 PM
waydown2low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

ORIGINAL: jddrumm

I can say that waydown2low' s flight skills made this plane look good. Seen him fly it at Elkhart Ks fun fly. Gave me the motivation to finish my extra. Brillelli 60 on it pulled it around awsome. Now I can't wait to get mine in the air.
Thanks for your nice comment, I have about a dozen flights on mine now and am finding some small weaknesses. The wing tube came loose this week and allowed some slop in the wing connection, I mixed some slo cure epoxy with micro balloons and completely reinforced the area. And a crack in the sheeting above the wing tube but there is no structural damage to the spar or web. I think it might be the seam in the sheeting has just come seperated but I can ca from the inside and should be fine. I have not done any extreme High G manuevers with this plane so I think it is just from vibration. As far as everything else, it just keeps getting better and I'm getting more comfortable every flight. Do you plan on coming to the Moorland fun fly next weekend and bringing your 330?

If you can't see it, don't hand me the controls!!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put 4 more flights on mine and the motor is running much better. I think I had an air leak in the carb gasket. I put a little gasket sealer on the gasket between the carb and reed block. Now the engine is running very well and I now have a midrange.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
jddrumm

ORIGINAL: waydown2low

I can say that waydown2low' s flight skills made this plane look good. Seen him fly it at Elkhart Ks fun fly. Gave me the motivation to finish my extra. Brillelli 60 on it pulled it around awsome. Now I can't wait to get mine in the air.
Thanks for your nice comment, I have about a dozen flights on mine now and am finding some small weaknesses. The wing tube came loose this week and allowed some slop in the wing connection, I mixed some slo cure epoxy with micro balloons and completely reinforced the area. And a crack in the sheeting above the wing tube but there is no structural damage to the spar or web. I think it might be the seam in the sheeting has just come seperated but I can ca from the inside and should be fine. I have not done any extreme High G manuevers with this plane so I think it is just from vibration. As far as everything else, it just keeps getting better and I'm getting more comfortable every flight. Do you plan on coming to the Moorland fun fly next weekend and bringing your 330?

As much as I want to I wont be going. Just about finished with my 330. Just waiting on control horn for the rudder. Mine broke in half when I dropped it. Good thing I did not fly it and then have it come apart. That is all I have left to do. Maybe I need to go over some of the spots you have had trouble with. I will take a look.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I had to replace virtually all the control horns. Sure the ones supplied look nice, but most of them broke when I tried to mount them. I find them to be very bittle and elected to replace the lot with DuBro HD parts.

Same thing for the CF control rods. I replaced them with titanium turnbuckles.

As much as I want to I wont be going. Just about finished with my 330. Just waiting on control horn for the rudder. Mine broke in half when I dropped it. Good thing I did not fly it and then have it come apart. That is all I have left to do. Maybe I need to go over some of the spots you have had trouble with. I will take a look.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:59 AM
jddrumm

Ya just one more set back. If I had not seen this plane fly I would think there is some thing wrong. Arf is Arf. You get good ones you get not so good some times. It is still an awesome plane to watch fly. Still a very good product. And I can't say enough about the customer service. Hard to beat that.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Steve

I used the stock hardware. I did clean out the thread lock before assembling the plane though. Then I used a little CA to make them tight once I got every thing set. I also used the stock push rods. This is the first time I've used this type of a setup for push rods, but I think I realy like them. I may have to order some more from TBM or Able RC for my next project. Every thing is holding up realy well.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I am no saying it was not usable. It's just that a couple of them broke really easily and I personally found that material to be brittle and unsafe for this size plane.

Flies very well and customer service is excellent.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM
jddrumm

I ran in to the same problem. This being my first gasser I just did not want to chance it.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
waydown2low

I don't know what they put in the threads, but that stuff is a b$tch. I had to clean out all of mine before every trying to install them. You don't need any kind of thread locker on the actual control, just on the horn itself where it meets the control surface. I did like the hardware other than the crap in the threads, but hey what can I say, the plane is a blast to fly.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 AM
jddrumm

Finished it last night. Just have to fine tune battery placement for the cg. Going to get it in the air this weekend and I hope to have it trimmed out and ready to take to fly in at waydown2low's field in Guymon. That would be OCT. 13th for Guymon OK fly in. If you live close to these guys you need to attend. The few I have meet have been a pleasure to fly with.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 PM
waydown2low

Great to hear you have it done, I think you will be satisfied with it. I have mine tore apart right now doing routine maintenance. I will foresure have it ready for the Guymon funday. I am ready to see how the da performs in the same airframe will be neat to finally compare the engines in identical planes. I will see ya in a few weeks.

If you can't see it, don't hand me the controls.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:19 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Waiting on a part for my engine so that I can get the airplane back up in the air after pancaking it a few weeks back. Replaced the landing gear and cowling after that and epoxied the wood back into the aircraft that broke.
John
Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Steve

Had another excellent weekend with mine. I must have put 20 or so flingts on from Thursday to Sunday. The motor is running the best is has so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63991.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	766901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91982.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	766902  
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 PM
sknx
My Feedback: (4)

Steve,

That flying field looks really nice. Where is it exactly ?

Bobby
Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Steve

We were at our annual fun fly in Alpine WY. As Palisades Resivour dries up, the inlet area gets great for flying off of. Lots of room every where. We all camp out on the flats.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 AM
jddrumm

Must be nice. Can't wait to fly mine. Been done but been to windy to fly on the days I have time. Supposed to only be 10-20 mph today. tomorrow on my last day off is to be 25-35 mph. Can't catch a dang brake.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Steve

10 to 15 aint bad for this plane. I've flown in worse, but don't like to. 10 mph wind make landing so easy with the extra lift.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Steve

10 to 15 aint bad for this plane. I've flown in worse, but don't like to. 10 mph wind make landing so easy with the extra lift.
This is absolutely true for this plane. I had the same experience.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 AM
jddrumm

Would have been nice if it would have been that nice. 30 with gust to 45 and 50. all dang weekend! Up to 20 I will fly any thing. Just did not want to send this one up with it being my first Gasser. Went over it to make sure I did not miss any thing during the build. Fixed some slope in the controls. I am 1000% ready to fly now. If I could only get off of work before the sun goes down![>:]
Old 09-28-2007, 04:10 PM
waydown2low

Just bring that thing to Guymon, I'll get it broke in for you I haven't flown mine since Mooreland myself. Between family issues and work it is hard to get mine back together. I think tomarrow will be a good time to get it done. I have been flying my new little E-flite extra 260 whenever I get a few minutes of time, but I sure am missing the big extra alot. I guess we'll see ya in a couple of weeks here in Guymon.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:11 AM
jddrumm

That may be the first time it gets flown. Bad storms tonight and windy as heck tomorrow with storms. May not get to fly it till Guymon. May have good weather on Sunday. Hope to get it in the air then. What do you guys have in the way of hotels? Think we are going to stay the night on Sat..
Old 09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
jddrumm

Well? Umm What is there to say. That thing flew %*#*ing awesome!!! Take off was not the plan at first. Was going to taxi around a little, but as soon as I put the throttle to it it just lifted right off real quick and short. No turning back after that. Loved it. only took 2 clicks of right aileron trim to get it to track right. Flew the hell out of it till I made a low pass and seen an elevator flapping around. Landed and found that I had a control linkage hanging from the control horn. Lost a screw. Must have not got enough loctite on it or maybe I did not get any on it at all. Any way it put and end to the day. Right after I just got started. I need more![sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-30-2007, 10:14 PM
waydown2low

Great to hear it flew good for you. I sent you a e-mail of some motels from getto to first class. The secret to these dang gassers is loctite and lots of it! I try to use nylon locknuts as jamnuts as much as possible, without loctite of course. Everytime you remove your cowl be sure to reloctite it. I don't use loctite on the screws securing the horizontal to the fuse, if the blind nut inside the fusalage ever starts to turn, you are screwed if you ever need to remove the stab. I just check the bolts about once a week for good measure, but being that far from the motor, the airframe has soked up most of the bad vibration so I have never had one get loose yet. We will se you in a couple of weeks.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Steve

Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
jddrumm

More flights and it just keeps getting better. Have it nose heavy right now. As soon as I get the motor run in I plan on moving it back. Can't believe it took me so long to get it together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.