Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Comp-Arf 2.3 with a Brison 3.2

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Comp-Arf 2.3 with a Brison 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:26 PM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Comp-Arf 2.3 with a Brison 3.2

Bubba I got a very short poor quality vid today, my buddy came out and just by chance he had his wifes camera...well we tried...it shows you very little but its all I got today..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsjPEwSx4_A
Old 12-17-2006, 07:40 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darcy,

That is exactly what I needed to see. It looks like the DA50 on the mini pipe setup is going to be exactly what I am looking for. I like the idea of stuffing an 80 in it but I'm not after a whole lot of extra power. I'll stuff the 80xi into something else

I'm completely sold gents, I'll be clicking the buy button in the quote first thing Friday for sure. That's my Christmas gift to myself

I really appreciate you, Joe and Paul helping me out on this decision.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:40 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fricking nice dude!! I love that 'lets see that again' knife edge moment!! lol! This thing is a pocket plane. I used to get mine in my toyota echo back then.
What prop are you running? 22-10?

Joe
Old 12-17-2006, 07:43 PM
mu2driver

Bubba, I will get a high quality vid up soon, but it being Christmas and all its hard to get with people...

Joe I love the "little pocket plane"...it fits in my bed of my truck and in 3 mins its together...dude this little ******* is FUN!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 PM
GoeKeli

The dude can fly, can't he!!??!!
Bubba, I think you will like it. Keep the 80 around, it might be interesting as well. I can help explain how I got my CG forward for the DA50. Super easy stuff. You'll have skis in this thing in about 3 weeks flyin it like mad!

joe

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Darcy,

That is exactly what I needed to see. It looks like the DA50 on the mini pipe setup is going to be exactly what I am looking for. I like the idea of stuffing an 80 in it but I'm not after a whole lot of extra power. I'll stuff the 80xi into something else

I'm completely sold gents, I'll be clicking the buy button in the quote first thing Friday for sure. That's my Christmas gift to myself

Old 12-17-2006, 08:02 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

The dude can fly, can't he!!??!!
Bubba, I think you will like it. Keep the 80 around, it might be interesting as well. I can help explain how I got my CG forward for the DA50. Super easy stuff. You'll have skis in this thing in about 3 weeks flyin it like mad!

joe

Darcy,

And the ironic thing is he was just messing around. I've never seen him fly in person but I have several videos of him and yep, he can fly.

I was thinking about a second motor dome and mounth the 80 on it and switching out engines whenever the urge to race the Space Shuttle to orbit hits me

I saw in your pics where you had the batteries and how far up the rudder servo is. I was going to do the KS pipe as I have one looking for a home but after seeing Darcy's video on the canister, I'll go with that setup. I made it part of the quote anyway so I may as well use it

The hard part is deciding which way to mount the engine. I like it inverted but I also like the idea of only a small cutout for the plug cap. Depending on what I decide I may get some info on the inverted setup. I saw where you had the template on the front then it looks like you redrilled up about a holes width and you might be about 1/4 inch off vertical center to the pilots side which I am assuming was done so you could add some right thrust and still be centered in the cowl

Actually, I know I stated I was going with a 4 inch CF spinner but it almost seems like a tru-turn would be in order for the added nose weight. The other question would be the manual calls for a 4 inch but I see others using 3.5 inch so what do you all think.

Should I go with the aluminum for nose weight and which size matches best. I'm asking because that is all I need to order plus the 22/10 PT model prop. Short of the plane, tail wheel and exhaust setup and prop/spinner, I have everything else, even a spare wraparound header with a 25mm drop for inverted if I go that route
Old 12-19-2006, 05:35 PM
mu2driver

Ok pics as promissed,,,

My pilot Sky Man...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16779.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	580264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25007.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	580265   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26451.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	580266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15571.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	580267   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10147.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	580268  
Old 12-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been running the set up as per manual (2 rudder servos mounted behind the tank, MTW cannister) and have had no CG problems. I have my reciever and ignition pack mounted on the motor dome and haven't needed to use any additional nose weight on my DA50. Initially I wasn't even running a spinner! This is a great aeroplane.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 PM
bubbagates

I'm getting ready to place an order for some items I still need so I have a couple of questions

The manual states a 4" spinner but I have seen where people used 3.5 inch so what would be the best fit

Also the manual states about certain resins

Epoxy laminating resin (12 - 24 hr cure) with hardener.
Milled glass fibre, for adding to slow epoxy for strong joints.

Is it vital to use the resin and glass fiber and if so where is the best place to get them. I'm thinking a boat place or can I just use 30 minute epoxy
Old 12-21-2006, 06:22 PM
larshkj

Also the manual states about certain resins

Epoxy laminating resin (12 - 24 hr cure) with hardener.
Milled glass fibre, for adding to slow epoxy for strong joints.

Is it vital to use the resin and glass fiber and if so where is the best place to get them. I'm thinking a boat place or can I just use 30 minute epoxy
Resin for making the servotray is vital. You can use 30 minute epoxy, but it's a lot thicker, and harder to work with.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK304&P=7
The milled glass fibre is also nice to have. Fills up gaps really good., and makes the epoxy bond a lot stronger. It's cheap too.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK312&P=7

Lars
Old 12-21-2006, 08:22 PM
GoeKeli

Bubba, I use Hysol on my composite planes you can use slow epoxy with fibers also.
This is the vendor I get hysol from .
http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=65_110
You need the gun but not the tips, just make sure it is mixed good.

I used a 3.5" dave brown spinner on my 2.3 and it was perfect. The canister really helps to keep the weight forward. The pipe was not easy.

HTH

Joe
Old 12-22-2006, 08:57 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Geokeli,

Nice pictures. Pretty informational.

Just wonder if you plan to paint the 2.3. If so, what kind of paint?

I am comtemplating getting the white 2.3 myself.

Thanks --qc
Old 12-22-2006, 11:03 AM
GoeKeli

QC, I never painted it. That was a few years ago. I got over 500 flights on that plane. Very good service! I'd get another in a second. This plane will not let you down, wether you go with the DA50 or a larger engine, it is a solid choice IME.

Joe
Old 12-22-2006, 05:52 PM
bubbagates

OK folks, I just placed the order. Like I expected but was wishing I did not have to, I had to order just the plane first so I have to get everything together in 2 steps, but once it ges here I'll have enough to do anyway
Old 12-22-2006, 08:07 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Goekeli,

Thanks.

That white coupler reminds of the blue teflon coupler I have been using on my Sequel pattern ship for a YS140. Because of high temperature, the cuopler gets bustered after about 20 flights. Just wonder if this happens to DA50.

With a DA50, do you get unlimited vertical? What is the dry weight?

--qc
Old 12-22-2006, 11:05 PM
GoeKeli

QC,
yes unlimited, pull out of hover slowly. Makes you work for it. !~).
I never had a problem with the coupler, this came with the 1060 and from Desert Aircraft. Check with them if you have concerns. This is a solid combination but there are others I have not tried. A 3W80xi might be fun too, just need to move things back to CG. The big bonus about this plane, owning and flying the p*#&Ss out of one in the past, is the plane is so darn transportable, the wing panels come off and it's in the car on the way home, even if the engine is still hot. Darcys video did not show a fraction of what this thing can do. It's an everyday plane that flys anything like an everyday plane.

joe
Old 12-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Stuart D

Joe , I have to back you up on what you say about the 2.3 . Its the most
point and shoot plane I have owned . I got 300 + flights on mine until
I sold her on .

No one has talked about IMAC though . As you said the 50 makes you
work a bit and thats not good during a sequence . I used a ZDZ 80 in
mine and it worked like a charm , this combo was great until the
zdz started to have some issues .

Already having a 100 in the shed I up graded to the 2.6 yak and while
beeing one of the best rolling plane around man I still miss my 2.3 .
The power , presentation , accleration and the groove of a 2.3 is
very hard to match , even for the 40% planes .

Man in miss my 2.3 .

Stu .
Old 12-23-2006, 12:51 PM
GoeKeli

I agree with you Stu, power is a personal thing and an open topic, even after a plane has been flown many times.
I had not problem with basic but upline snaps were not good at recovery.
What was the issue with your ZDZ?

Joe
Old 12-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Stuart D

Like most guys I am going to blame the design rather than myself
but the prob was delamination of the boar . I had two let go , one
of which I paid for to get fixed . When the second one happened
the engine was sent back to our local agent and after 4 months
they said the engine was lost in the system . I was given a full
credit on the engine and was stoked .

The zdz was the blue head 80rv and while the engine did have
its problems when it was going it was great . I come from a gokart
background mostly KT100s and Rotax 125 so I know how to
tune and maintain an engine .

In the end all I could put the probs down to was that the engine
has a minium of cooling and their hard chrome is not as good
as it should be .

I did like the ZDZ and may get another , I like the look of the
40 RE for a petrol 2x2 pattern ship but I will be much more careful
with my next one .

Stu .
Old 02-11-2007, 01:48 AM
bubbagates

Hey folks,

Just a quick update and a question/problem. First off it's almost done and it's not been too bad at all. I ended up with the tinniest warp in the cowl hatch but unless you really look close you would not even notice it. Everything else is done and I'm in the midlee of getting the engine/cowl mounted.

The question/problem I am running into is the spinner not lining up with the top of the cowl correctly at the rounded part. It's Tru-turn 3.5 inch. The engine is a DA50 on the MTW can/header from C-Arf and is mounted exactly as the manual suggests using the measurements. All measurements where checked many times before the mounting holes were drilled. With the cowl on and lined up correctly the distance to get it to site flush with the top of the cowl is 1/2 inch

On Darcy's I noticed his spinner lines up with the top of the cowl and the best I can remember is he used a 3.5 inch spinner as well. I use Darcy's as an example because in all the pics, it's the easiest to see that it fits just right

So my question is, does everyone have that much upthrust in it to get it to line up or is everyone in the pics posted so far using a 4 inch spinner or did I really screw something up. I can get pics if you want. My oldest has my camera or I would post them right now
Old 02-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running a 4 inch spinner which lines up perfectly, I think 3.5 may be a little small. I'm running no upthrust but have increased side thrust from the stock set up. It sounds like you've got the engine in the right position!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:46 PM
whaturi

I think I may join Bubba in the 50cc 2.3 club. I have a brison 3.2 I could use in one and I just sold my other big airframe.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:22 AM
GoeKeli

Bubba, I ran a Dave Brown 4" and it was a nice fit. I also mounted my engine by standing the plane straight up on it's tail, without the rudder on but the phenolics protected and lined up the spinner back plate on the mounted cowl. Then carefully marked the standoff and where to drill, removed the cowl, engine and drilled the holes. Perfect fit, KS 1060 lined up good too as well as the header.
Good luck with this plane, it is a wonderful plane. Lets hear some flight reports soon!!!

Joe
Old 02-12-2007, 07:30 AM
bubbagates

Hi Joe,

Long time no hear from. I actually thought about just standing it up and going that route when and if I change to another engine. By all accounts, it looks like I need a bigger spinner and that I am correct in the engine setup. I know I sounded a bit paranoid in my post but I just wanted to be sure I had not really screwed something up. Since I need the nose weight anyway, I'll go the Tru-Turn route.

All I need to do now is finish the left wing and install the tank/rudder tray (it's already built) and go fly it. I've been taking a long time on it because I wanted it done as best I could and since it was my first C-Arf, I wanted to make sure I did everything as best as possible.

Depending on who you listen too, we are getting anywhere from an inch to a foot of snow starting later tonight into Wednesday so I do not foresee me getting to fly it anytime soon [:'(].

The exact config is:

NIB DA50
header/MTW75 can from Comp-Arf
8611a's with Airwild uni-hubs with the C-Arf arms on all surfaces except the rudder. The rudder will have a H9 Aluminum 3 inch dbl arm on a single 8611a
Hitec 6965 for the throttle (I use this servo for all my throttles, at 6v it's .08msecs so it gives the feeling of instant throttle response)
Dubro Safety Quick links on the elevators/ailerons
Standard pull/pull on the rudder
2 Fromeco 2400's, one on the ignition, 2 on the receiver (I may change this to a single 4800 for the receiver)
Smart-Fly ignition regulator
Smart-Fly Optical kill
Badger Failsafe switches all around
Kavan 4.5 inch wheels
Dubro 3/16th axles
Dubro 24 ounce tank
DA fuel dot
JR2000 Receiver with ferrite choke rings
10x for guidance
Old 02-12-2007, 08:00 AM
whaturi

Guys, is it unthinkable to do a 3.2 with a pitts muffler? Could that work or should I just plan on a cannister from the start.. obviously I already haev the pitts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.