Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

AirWild 29% Edge 540T has arrived!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

AirWild 29% Edge 540T has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AirWild 29% Edge 540T has arrived!

I'm using the new IE w/ tabbed browsing. I've tried both sites (airwild pilot shop and airwild hobbies) and can't get either to download. However, the cursors does change to a hand but nothing on the status bar showing the link going anywhere. AGHHHHHH!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 PM
bigal422
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

I'm using the new IE w/ tabbed browsing. I've tried both sites (airwild pilot shop and airwild hobbies) and can't get either to download. However, the cursors does change to a hand but nothing on the status bar showing the link going anywhere. AGHHHHHH!
Try right clicking and save it to your desk top. You may have a problem with adobe reader too. It has worked for me every time. Barry I'll try to get some pics up when I get off work tonight. I hate getting this thing back out of the box. I just want to get started when I do.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:55 PM
cadconversions

Right click brings up the menu, but when I click on "save target as" nothing happens. Also, notice there is no link shown in the "status bar" at the bottom.

I'm a pretty competent computer user but this has me baffled....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14478.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	581495  
Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 PM
cadconversions

BTW, also the "open link in new window / tab" options do absolutely the same thing. I get nothing. Same thing on the Extra's site as well. Must be a clitch with the new IE and tabbed browsing or something. All of my cache has been cleared...several times.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:39 PM
bigal422

Here are a few pics of the New EDGE 540.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69258.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	581573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17062.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	581574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11015.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	581575  
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 PM
cadconversions

Finally, pics!!!!! Now hurry up and fly it!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:53 PM
bigal422

Guys this is the best looking ARF I have bought. It is light and it appears that you would have to be careful where you pick it up at, but I have checked every glue joint that you can get to or see and it appears to be well built. I'm so amped up about it, that I almost told the guy that I'm building the AM yak for that he was going to have to wait a while on his bird.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

bigal422..

Thanks for the pictures. It is a wonderful looking ARF. Tell your guy with the Yak to wait. I'm sure he won't mind.

Question, are the elevators wider than the stab? It looks like they are in your pictures. The Extra has the elevators only about 2/3 the width of the stab. If I have any complaints it's that I don't have quite enough elevator authority. I'm wondering if the Edge has more? The pictures look like they do. At least that's the way it looks.

I just measured the Extra. The elevators are about 4 1/4" wide at their widest part. The stab is about 6" right where it touches the fuse. Are the Edge's elevators wider?

Thanks
Barry
Old 12-22-2006, 10:23 AM
bigal422

Barry, The stab measures 5 1/2 at the fuse and the elevator measures 5 3/4. They are bigger. I guess that the Extra 260 is more for precison and the EDGE is for 3D stuff. I do wish that they would have added counter balances though. I don't compete, I just like to build and fly.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Barry Cazier

bigal422...

Thanks for that info. I think that will help a great deal with Waterfalls. That's the only weakness I've been able to find in the Extra. It's slow to start Waterfalls and they are difficult to really get "whipping" although I can get them going pretty good but it's not consistant and it's difficult. The added 1.5" to the elevator half will make it a lot better I'm betting. On the Extra I tried to just adjust or go to longer servo arm to get more throw (I'm already at 48 degrees) but I can't do that because the bevel edges hit. Anymore throw and it'll just try and pull the hinges out. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the way the Extra flys just want to be able to do everything...

Anyways, this seals the deal for me. I'm gonna order the Edge. I already have a very positive experience with AirWild and I'm going to try them again.

Now if it just wasn't for all the money I've just spent on RC and Christmas....Oh well...

I don't compete either. Just fly. Just fly for fun.

Merry Christmas all.

Thanks
Barry
Old 12-22-2006, 11:06 AM
bigal422

I've looked at alot of edges on the market and this one seemed to be the best looking and the best deal. I know some guys where complaining about the price, but when I started checking, the airwild is a little better than most when you start adding in for shipping and the H/W. The BME does have hardware, but what kind. How knows. It was going to cost me $730.00 for the BME with shipping. and I got the airwild for $720.00 That was with All the H/W. EVERYTHING. That did include the Christmas special. I just wish I had the money to get the Extra now while they have the $50.00 offer.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:17 PM
cadconversions

Ok, just tried to download the manual from another internet connection and another computer. Still no luck. However, both computers are running the newest updates to IE including the tabbed browsing. This is frustrating. The good thing is that this thread should give me the info I'm looking for
Old 12-22-2006, 04:04 PM
bigal422

cadconversions,

I'll be glad to help any way I can. I can't believe you still can't down load the thing. So much for new technology.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:02 AM
cadconversions

Thanks guys, I've got a copy coming via e-mail. I think it's a problem with the new flash update for ie. I tried clicking on a flash link on an ad and it didn't work either. I've just updated the flash player. That's the only thing I can think of. Either way, it's not working on either computer that I've tried. Might have to try it on the wife's computer as well. Between work and home we only have 4 computers to try it on. Gee, you would think I could get one to work but I keep them all pretty well updated.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Barry Cazier

bigal422...

How are you coming with this airplane? I'm very anxious to hear how it builds and flys.

Give us an update.

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
LearnedInUk
My Feedback: (29)

Internet Exploer 7 has an issue when upgraded from IE 6. You need to uninstall and reinstall Adobe to correct the issue. For now right click save as and open it from your PC after it is saved.

From Adobe's web site
Internet Explorer 7 and Acrobat

Internet Explorer is supported for use with Acrobat and Adobe Reader version 7.0.8 and 8. For versions of Acrobat earlier than 7.08, most functionality will work, but there may be issues with forms workflows. If you run into any sort of issue, then you should upgrade to at least Acrobat or Adobe Reader 7.0.8.

Internet Explorer 7 makes it more visible to the user which add ons are enabled and disabled. This is done from the tools menu by selecting Manage Add Ons.

After installing Adobe Acrobat/Adobe Reader, the following add-ons can be listed: Adobe PDF, Adobe PDF Context Menu Helper, Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper, Adobe PDF Reader, Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper, Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper.

The first three add ons are associated with the PDF tool bar that is installed by the full Acrobat product. The second three add ons that can be seen are installed with both the Reader and the full Acrobat product. By default, all of these add ons are enabled.

Internet Explorer 7 allows you disable individual add-ons, and it has a ?Reset? button (available from the Tools, Internet Options menu, under the Advanced Tab) that disables all Add ons. By disabling the Adobe add-ons, some PDF-related functionality may no longer work.

When Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader launches and it notices that add ons are disabled, it will return the following error message. "One or more Adobe PDF extensions are disabled. This may impact how PDFs are displayed in Internet Explorer. Please go to Manage Add-ons in Internet Explorer and enable add-ons from Adobe. You will need to restart Internet Explorer after performing this action."
Or switch to Firefox! Hope this helps.

Computer geek by day RC freak the rest of the time..

Old 01-09-2007, 08:06 PM
bigal422

Hi Barry,

It's coming pretty slow as I have two other planes on the table right now. The problem with that is that they are not mine. I have done some assemble so that I could take it to my graphics guy to get all prettied up. The only problem I see right now on the build is that the sleeve in the fuse for the stab tube is a little loose. I think I will probably put a piece of packaging tape around the tube to snug it up a bit. The stabs themselves fit the tube great. One other small problem was that one of the stabs where not slotted for the ca hinges. Every thing is mostly done for you on this plane. No holes to cut for servos or switches. I like that alot. It will be a quick build once I get into it. I have every thing except the engine. I can't make up my mind what I want to put on it. I'll keep you up to date as I progress.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Barry Cazier

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to hear how she flys.

I use a DA50 in my Extra 260. At under 15lbs it has an excellent power/weight ratio. That's one of the top reasons I went with the AirWild. Weight. It simply is lighter than anything out there in this class. I'm hoping the Edge will be also.

I want to see how a couple come out on weight and hear about what the larger elevators do to the flying characteristics before I buy...but if it comes in under 15 lbs and the added elevator adds to 3D capability, I'm gonna get one.

Thanks
Barry

I wanted to see what the new EF planes would be like also. Same old, same old as far as I'm concerned. And the new plane seems to have gotten heavier. It looks like it'll be 16.5 to 17 lbs. For my elevation that's getting out of range for me.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
cadconversions

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

...I wanted to see what the new EF planes would be like also. Same old, same old as far as I'm concerned. And the new plane seems to have gotten heavier. It looks like it'll be 16.5 to 17 lbs. For my elevation that's getting out of range for me.

The new EF yak is more than just a little larger. The wing area and wingspan is a lot larger than the previous model so it carries the weight better with the larger size. The old 87" yak wasn't really 87" and it wasn't 1,450 sq's either.

The great news is, that this edge 540T looks like it's got butt kicking on it's mind. Should be totally awsome. I did go with the EF yak for my first 50cc plane but I'm pretty sure this is going to be my next. Got the instruction manual e-mailed to me and it looks great and an easy build to boot. I really like the color scheme as well.

ORIGINAL: LearnedInUk

Internet Exploer 7 has an issue when upgraded from IE 6. You need to uninstall and reinstall Adobe to correct the issue. For now right click save as and open it from your PC after it is saved.
Thanks, but I can't right click and get anything. When I right-click there's no link present for me to "save target as". My mouse turns to the hand and everything, but nothing is shown in the status bar, and when I click it acts like there is no link at all. I've dumped my cache, updated everything that has updates, etc... and it still doesn't work. However, the check out still works and that's what's important!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the video this thing flew pretty amazing. An Edge this size at 15 pounds with a light 50cc engine is going to be a killer combo every time.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:53 PM
FlyrcMeredith

I have this plane and flew the 4th, 5th, and 6th flights with it today. I have to say it fly's great. I am very happy with my choice to wait on the Edge. The plane is a dream to fly it has very little coupling in knife edge just breath on down elevator and it's striaght down the runway. On the last flight I brought it down on the deck and almost touched the rudder to the grass. it hovers great and if you stand it straight up it will torgue roll without aileron input. It performed the blender with ease and flat spins great. I tried a waterfall and after it fell out it still looked great doing a knife edge spin. Reall like this one and would highly reccomend it. A friend took a few pics today and when I get them I will post them.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Barry Cazier

What is your weight? Congratulations on a good series of maiden flights. Sounds like a great plane. I have the Extra 260 and love it. With all the talk of planes being light at 17+ lbs the AirWild planes embarass all others. Mine weighs 14lbs 14ozs. It's flys great with the DA50. Just wondering what the Edge weighs.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-10-2007, 11:39 PM
bigal422

Mine is coming along. Waiting on the engine from DA. They said I should have it monday or tuesday. I would also like to know your weight.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:36 AM
bigal422

Flyrc, did you cross your pull pull? I noticed that when they are run parallel as per the manual they are hitting the F7 former. I don't really think it matters if they are crossed. I am using kevlar cable and not sure about crossing it. It may fray.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:14 PM
kid gallahad
My Feedback: (1)

I just saw one of these planes a friend of mine has and I wans't inpressed. The paint on the cowl didn't match the covering and the cost of the plane without any hardware is way out of sight. We checked everything against an aeroworks and the areoworks seems like a must better deal and is a much better looking plane. I'm not saying this is a bad plane but check it out for yourself, the hardware not being included is a deal breaker for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.