Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM
spidernad
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

Hey Martin,

I see you accidentally posted twice. You can click the edit button at the top right of the post and change it to a new message if you want.

I looked back on this thread and the user "Howard Davidson" is using a 3W120 with a 32x10 prop so I guess a DLE 111 might be OK with a bigger than suggested prop. It would run at a lower RPM and sound more scale, just not sure if it might get a little hot or produce enough thrust but maybe some others can give some feedback on that engine size on this plane.

Did Tommy have any input on that engine for this plane?

OH, by the way, here is a cool Thrust Calculator I found if you want to try some prop sizes to see how much HP is required. http://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/strc_eng/index.htm
Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
spidernad

This is an update to my post on page 47, post number 1160 about the Decals.

For the "Cessna" and "Skylane" or "Skylane TC" decals, I finally found a company that can make a decal from your image file. (JPEG etc.)
It truly is an amazing service they have and very inexpensive.
I can' believe other places don't have this.

Just use this link http://decalboy.com/Convert_vector.asp
Then upload one of the logo images I attached in the post mentioned above (or any image) and then it will show you a row of previews.
Pick the clearest one (usually the middle one) and it will take you to the editor.
On the left there is a place to choose the color you want and a couple boxes where you can type in the exact width and height you want your decal to be.
For this plane I listed the sizes in the post mentioned above.
When your finished editing just checkout and your decals will arrive at your door in a few days.

Now for the "N" number (registration or tail number).
The best way I found, and the only place that has the correct font, is to go to the guy who makes the full scale tail numbers.
Higher Graphics of Tampa, Florida, http://www.highergraphics.com/NNumbers/ also has a great web tool for the tail numbers.
After you type in the number you want you can click on the "style" tab and there he has a Cessna button that will put the correct 30 degree slant that you see on most Cessna's.
Then go to the "size" tab and click the user defined button and type in the exact size you want.
For the 35% TMMY Cessna just get the letter height from the same post referenced above.
There are also other options like shadow etc. but for Cessna's it's normally just one sold color with the slant. (if you looking for scale correctness)
Again, just checkout and the decal will show up at your door.

I don't recommend going to your local graphics shop or RC decal company's because they either don't have the capability to create a decal from an image (the only way to get it exactly the same as the original logo),
or they don't have the correct algorithm for slanting the tail numbers.
I tried, and no one could get it the same as the OEM.

Hope this info saves others the trouble and time I had to go through.

: )
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 AM
[email protected]

Hey guys, I would love to have some input on this thread. I am a TMMY cessna owner?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 AM
spidernad

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Hey guys, I would love to have some input on this thread. I am a TMMY cessna owner?
Welcome aboard!

Do you have any pictures or videos of your plane that you can post?
Would love to see what color scheme you have.

If you have any questions just ask away and we'll try to answer them, or if you have some info you would like to add please do.

There is a ton of info on here so feel free to peruse through the thread and enjoy.

Dan
Old 01-16-2012, 02:00 AM
[email protected]

Hey Dan, thank's for having me!

I have an early Austars 120" Cessna I guess you could call it the series 1. I think I purchased it around 2007 and have just last weekend flown it for the first time. It flew beautifully although it was the build from hell! I don't think Tommy made them back then but it took a lot of work to turn it into something that I would own thus the long build time. It's powered by a Fuji 86 twin with onboard starter. Awesome...clear prop and flick the switch...now that's scale! This particular model came with NO opening door or luggage compartment. I have added the luggage compartment opening door and built my own interior as of course mine came with nothing.
Just looking at the nose wheel bearing mod, a great idea I might add, this is what I did, my fork was a rather large ally piece limiting the size of the wheel and of course it came with those lovely foam sponge wheels...promptly thrown in the bin (this aircraft weighs 21.8 kg!!!) so I fabricated a new fork from 4130 sheet steel and machined two bushes and TIG welded them to the inside after drilling and tapping them for a grub screw. The axle now passes thru these and is retained by those grub screws. This allows you to have the axle flush with the wheel pants for that true scale look.

I have just today orderd my new 27% or 120" Cessna from Tommy thru Austars over here in Oz. They say it is idetical to the 35% (157") aircraft other than the fuzz is in one piece. It's something like a four month wait and when it gets here I will order the 35% one. As you can see I love em !

Someone on the thread was asking about nose weight. I added 1.6 kg to the nose of this airframe to get the CG at the recommended point ! I also added 60 grams to the right wingtip. The result is she flys great and with some fine tuning of the programing in my 14MZ will make it even better. I also made my own wheel brakes operating them thru a jetronic brake vave and mixed into down elevator.

I am new at this forum stuff so please bear with me as I tried to post photo's last night but without success. I'll sort that out and get some pic's up of the mod's I"ve done.

Best regards,
Kosty.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 AM
[email protected]

Hey Guys, I hope these photo's come thru. It told me ....file upload successful ! Mmmh we'll see!

Kosty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97411.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1714787   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43034.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1714788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66755.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1714789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25651.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1714790  
Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 AM
[email protected]

Hey, cool guys it worked! here's some more.

I'll download some more from my iphone and post them as well.

Kosty

Name:	Ol31549.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1714791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41723.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1714792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35755.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1714793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73314.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1714794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54592.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1714795  
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 AM
[email protected]

Hey Guys, hope you don't think I'm getting carried away with the photo's !

You'll see a good before and after shot of the aircraft hanging from my balancing jig before I added the nose weight and after installing the required 1.6 kg. The luggage door that I added has behind it a panel which houses all of the switch and charging gear plus the air gauge and fill port. It folds down when you release it's latch to allow you access into the battery connections and the bolts to seperate the fuzz. I'll take an updated pic if you like.

I've noticed on the 35% Cessna like you guys have that the wheel pants look nothing like scale in particular the front one. The pant appears to rounded and short forward of the axle and the wheel way to large and to far out of the pant. Also the front strut is not raked forward like the real one? When I added larger wheels to mine I had similar issues so I raised and repositioned the pants accordingly. Again I can take some close ups if I'm not boring you guys.

I'll send a couple of pic's thru of the actual aircraft that mine was modelled on and also a pic of the actual aircraft that my new one will be modelled on. The paint scheme I've chosen for the new one has been done before however this actual aircraft is hangerd at Perth International airport some 100 ks from my home.

Bye for now,
Kosty.

Name:	Sq46702.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1714796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82062.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1714797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51435.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1714798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96228.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1714799   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98999.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1714800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul80547.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1714801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np20170.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1714802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp54540.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1714803  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw38703.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1714804  
Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 AM
[email protected]

Hey again guys,

Here's the two pic's of the actual Cessna's that mine are modelled on. Can't wait to get my new one ! I learned so much from the first build and may have my new Futaba 18MZ by then. I would also like to try the new S-BUS system out.

Not sure iff you guys noticed on my aircraft that the flaps use only the pin type Robart hinge not like on the 35% Jobby that you guys have. Austars over here tell me my new 27% will be the same as the 35%. Guess I'll contact Tommy and find out. It appears that you guys have had no trouble in talking with him?

Bye for now,
Kosty.

Name:	Cz79945.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1714812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14585.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	488.4 KB
ID:	1714813  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
spidernad

Hey Kosty,

Good looking Cessna!
Nice building skills. let me guess, are you a mechanic by trade?

On-board starter! Very cool!

I was searching the threads for one on your specific model so you can put all that useful info in a place where it will do the most good, since this thread is for the 35% TMMY Cessna and it might not translate.

I found this one (link below) by a fella from Australia as well.
His name is Steve. He also has a 35% Cessna as well as the 1/5 TMMY Cessna.

Give it a look and see what you think.

Cheers,

Dan

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...tm.htm#9997076
Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 PM
spidernad

Hey Kosty,

I like the shape of the wheel pants, much more scale than the 35% TMMY Cessna.

Oh, I noticed the thread I mentioned in my last post is for a different plane than what you have too.
You might want to think about starting your very own build thread for your 120" Cessna.
I'm sure there are other people out there that have one too and would benefit greatly from all the knowledge you have gained while building yours.
You could name the thread something like "Austars 120" Cessna 182 build thread" or something like that.
If you do, put it in the "RC Airplanes >> Giant Scale Aircraft - General" category.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
spidernad

Found a 120" Cessna thread but I think a different manufacturer.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM
spidernad

Here is a build thread on the Austars 120" but it has a 2 piece fuse?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7375795/anchors_7375795/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7375795

And another. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_72...tm.htm#7222884
Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
ausfly47

Hi Guys.
Thought you might be interested, Dan The thread you found was for the 120 Cessna from Austars
and was doneon behalf of Austars.
I also have the 120 Cessna from Austars I bought it around four or five years ago from Austars.
The Cessna also has a split fuselage.
Regards.
Martin.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
spidernad

ORIGINAL: ausfly47

Hi Guys.
Thought you might be interested, Dan The thread you found was for the 120 Cessna from Austars
and was doneon behalf of Austars.
I also have the 120 Cessna from Austars I bought it around four or five years ago from Austars.
The Cessna also has a split fuselage.
Regards.
Martin.
Thanks Martin.

I assume you mean 120" (inch), andnot 120 (1.20) size engine.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 AM
[email protected]

Hey Dan, thanks for the info and I have taken your advice and started a new post on the Tmmy 27 % Cessna. hopefully there's some guys out there who have built one or building one to compare notes with. Even though mine is some months away my build of the Austars 27% airframe will be of some relevance. Yes I have a couple of trades Automotive tehnician and Fitter Machinist.

Best of luck you 35% guys. I'll remove my posts from your thread in due course.

Take care,
Kosty
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM
spidernad

Hey Kosty,

No need to remove the posts, it reads through just fine. This way people on here will know about the 27% also.

If you can, copy the link address from you new thread and post it here so we all can find it and follow along.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 AM
spidernad

Hey Kosty,

I found it all by my self.

Here is the link for all who are interested.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10912977

Dan
Old 01-17-2012, 06:38 AM
[email protected]

Hey Dan,

No probs I'll leave em on your thread. Happy to be a part of it. I'm not sure I know how do that transfer deal you mentioned but then again I didn't have a clue how to start the new thread either and just winged it ! I'll have a go in due course. Just been going back to the start of the 35% thread and up to post # 20. I'll call it a nite shortly. Some great info and nice Cessna's there.

Talk soon,
Bye for now,
Kosty.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 AM
spidernad

I know RC Cessna'susuallydon't have smoke systems on them,(unless your Mario, lol) but for any one who has a plane that uses asmoke system...

I've had a number of comments on the amount of smoke my Edge is producing.
It might have to do with the oil injectors I fabricated, so I made a video that shows the design and how to make them.
It's really easy and actually reduces the amount of oil used so you can extend the "smoke-on" time of your flights and also keeps your plane cleaner.

The best way to adjust your flow/pump speed is with the injectors removed and squirting back into a test reservoir (I just use the 5 gal. bucket of oil to pump from and back into).
You should dial back the pump speed in your radio using the end point adjustments so to avoid excessive back-pressure.
With the throttle at full, watch the flow from the nozzles, adjust the high endpoint (for you pump channel in your radio) down until you get the lowest pump rpm that still produces a good steady flow.
Then bring the throttle down to your lowest "pump on" mix, (I have it at idle so I get some smoke on flat spins etc.) and adjust your low endpoint until the pump is just barely spinning.
Depending on the temperature/oil viscosity you may have to move up the low pump speed to keep it spinning.

As far as oils, I have used "Super Dri" smoke oil and also "Robart Liquid Sky", both worked great with the latter being about $40.00 cheaper per 5 gal. bucket.

SMOKE ON!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx72-1Ikx_I[/youtube]
Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 PM
spidernad

A guy contacted me on YouTube about raido setups for the TMMY Cessna so I posted on here for everyone. His quote is below.

Hi,
I 'm thinking about getting the same plane and was wondering if you could tell me what radio system you will be using. I have a Futaba 7C 2.4, but im worried that i will not have enough free channels. I guess that i could use a smart fly system if i needed. Any input you can provide in set-up would be helpfull.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm using a Futaba 10CAG radio. I bought it for use on my 50% Edge and for that it was fine since I had a SmartFly Power Expander EQ10 to handle the 16 servos on that plane.
I thought it was a pretty high end radio but it lacks a couple of things that I now need for the TMMY Cessna.
One of the things I was disapointed it doesn't have is a servo speed feature, something I didn't need in the Edge.

On this plane, I wanted to make the flaps move slowly up and down for realism. So I wound up getting two servo slowing devices.
I first tried the Turnigy brand but I don't think they are meant for digital servos. (see video here)
I then bought some EMS brand and they seem better, although not perfect, but they will do.
I don't think these devices were really designed with digital servos in mind.
There are a couple more brands out there but I'm not going to keep throwing money at it when they might all have the same issue with digital servos (chatter or noise)

I would like to have a Full Feature radio but can't afford a thousand dollars or more.
I was able to get the flaps set up to move with switches. Full up flaps, 10,20 and 30 Degrees (full down.)

My radio setup is as follows.
Channels:
1 - Left Aileron
2 - Elevator
3 - Throttle
4 - Rudder
5 - Right Flap
6 - Left Flap
7 - Right Aileron
8 - Choke
9 - Engine Kill
10 - Lights (these can be on a manual switch instead)

The ailerons and flaps could technically use one channel each, but if you want to adjust the servos individualy (sub trim, endpoints) then you can use a Power Expander.

So a seven channel Radio with a Power Expander could go something like this.
Channels:
1 - Ailerons
2 - Elevator
3 - Throttle
4 - Rudder
5 - Flaps
6 - Choke
7 - Engine Kill
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
rcgr8
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Spidernad for the info. I currently fly a Hanger 9 Taylorcraft with a DLE 30cc. so the setup is pretty basic. I'm a NiCad user and don't really perfer the lipo or NiMH packs. With this plane I would like to use dual 3000mAh NICad battery packs with dual switches. Do you see a problem with this? Also, I thought about your flap speed problem. What about Hitec Digitals. You can buy a programmer and slow the speed that way. Oh,I want the 2009 red color scheme.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM
slevin1
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spidernad

A guy contacted me on YouTube about raido setups for the TMMY Cessna so I posted on here for everyone. His quote is below.

Hi,
I 'm thinking about getting the same plane and was wondering if you could tell me what radio system you will be using. I have a Futaba 7C 2.4, but im worried that i will not have enough free channels. I guess that i could use a smart fly system if i needed. Any input you can provide in set-up would be helpfull.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm using a Futaba 10CAG radio. I bought it for use on my 50% Edge and for that it was fine since I had a SmartFly Power Expander EQ10 to handle the 16 servos on that plane.
I thought it was a pretty high end radio but it lacks a couple of things that I now need for the TMMY Cessna.
One of the things I was disapointed it doesn't have is a servo speed feature, something I didn't need in the Edge.

On this plane, I wanted to make the flaps move slowly up and down for realism. So I wound up getting two servo slowing devices.
I first tried the Turnigy brand but I don't think they are meant for digital servos. (see video here)
I then bought some EMS brand and they seem better, although not perfect, but they will do.
I don't think these devices were really designed with digital servos in mind.
There are a couple more brands out there but I'm not going to keep throwing money at it when they might all have the same issue with digital servos (chatter or noise)

I would like to have a Full Feature radio but can't afford a thousand dollars or more.
I was able to get the flaps set up to move with switches. Full up flaps, 10,20 and 30 Degrees (full down.)

My radio setup is as follows.
Channels:
1 - Left Aileron
2 - Elevator
3 - Throttle
4 - Rudder
5 - Right Flap
6 - Left Flap
7 - Right Aileron
8 - Choke
9 - Engine Kill
10 - Lights (these can be on a manual switch instead)

The ailerons and flaps could technically use one channel each, but if you want to adjust the servos individualy (sub trim, endpoints) then you can use a Power Expander.

So a seven channel Radio with a Power Expander could go something like this.
Channels:
1 - Ailerons
2 - Elevator
3 - Throttle
4 - Rudder
5 - Flaps
6 - Choke
7 - Engine Kill

Try the JR 11x. It has adjustable servo speed and is far less than other radios with comparable features.

http://jrradios.com/Products/Default...tm_content=11X

Saul
Old 01-20-2012, 07:32 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey how is it going my friends. I have not been keeping up as much as I should with everyones great work on there TMMY Cessna's, but from what I can see it looks great. I have not been getting the updates on the thread for some reason so I guess I have been in the dark a bit. I just wanted to drop a line to show tne new pics I got today from Tommy. He is telling my it will be set to ship here I am guessing next week. Lots of plans for this new bird. All the things I wanted to do with the last one but did not but to inclued on borad cams in the cockpit and the perdator pod on the wing to stream back live in flight vid along with the fpv goggles so you can fly her looking out of the cockpit. Also looking at installing a scanner (which I have found light enough) in the cockpit that I can pick up local air traffic on that you can hear when the plane is on the ground or the mic in the cockpit. I know it sounds a little dumb but I just want to see if it will work. I have also I think found a way to gymble my yoke on the custom dash I had done for the last one to opperate with the control throws. I will keep everyone abrest of the progress after I get the plane in.

I guess RCU is having one of its now it seems normal problems I will post pics later if they let me.[:@]
Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 AM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LETS SEE IF IT WORKS TODAY

THAT WOULD BE A NO[:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.