Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Awesome pics mate.Mines been mothballed after that lean run with throttle stuck wide open
Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 AM
mobyal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howard
I have been flying mine for 2 years w/ an OS 120AX, 16x8 prop (whatever the grey plastic one is, can't remember right now) and TruTurn spinner. It took 14oz to balance right at the factory-recommended point. Final weight is 14 lbs 3oz. This is the perfect match for this airplane; it flies just great and will cruise around at half throttle, which gives me plenty of power for scale aerobatics. When I point it straight up and give it full throttle I can get 5 vertical rolls out of it before it falls off. Love to do big loops w/ a snap on the top and all sorts of other stuff the full scale plane will do. It's also a floater on landing; if I have a click or two of power on it'll float all the way down the runway. I haven't fixed the squeaky wheels as I sort of like them.
Went deadstick last weekend and was too low, slow and doenwind and knocked the gear off, bent an axle and destroyed a wheel pant. It's all fixed and ready to go again.
From your description it sounds like you don't have enough engine and maybe not enough nose weight. I'd be real careful about moving the CG back if you reengine. And I'd obviously recommend the 120AX.
Best
Al
Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Howard
I have been flying mine for 2 years w/ an OS 120AX, 16x8 prop (whatever the grey plastic one is, can't remember right now) and TruTurn spinner. It took 14oz to balance right at the factory-recommended point. Final weight is 14 lbs 3oz. This is the perfect match for this airplane; it flies just great and will cruise around at half throttle, which gives me plenty of power for scale aerobatics. When I point it straight up and give it full throttle I can get 5 vertical rolls out of it before it falls off. Love to do big loops w/ a snap on the top and all sorts of other stuff the full scale plane will do. It's also a floater on landing; if I have a click or two of power on it'll float all the way down the runway. I haven't fixed the squeaky wheels as I sort of like them.
Went deadstick last weekend and was too low, slow and doenwind and knocked the gear off, bent an axle and destroyed a wheel pant. It's all fixed and ready to go again.
From your description it sounds like you don't have enough engine and maybe not enough nose weight. I'd be real careful about moving the CG back if you reengine. And I'd obviously recommend the 120AX.
Best
Al
Al,

Very helpful information I am really fond of the OS 120 AX and your recommendation has moved me in that direction. Your description of the things you enjoy doing while flying feel very much like my own. I did purchase another gas tank and another cowl for the Taylorcraft just so I could be ready to repower with either type of engine. Thanks for the feedack.

Howard
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

I had mine flying with the g20ei and feel it is very underpowered, maybe because I added weight with a smoke system. I pulled the g20 out and put in a DLE 30. Hoping to go flying in a week or so, I bet it will be much better
Old 07-08-2011, 01:31 AM
1 big skeeter
My Feedback: (8)

I've taken a couple of months assembling this aircraft with the specific intent of using the SYSSA SAP180 for power. So far, there have been no real surprises. Have all servos but T/C mounted/adjusted.

I've had the SYSSA for some time now and am VERYIMPRESSEDwith the quality and thoughtfulness displayed in it's design. Pictures simply DONOTdo this engine justice! Having it in hand is like holding a piece of art......Yes REALLY!

I have, however decided to either 1) mount the gas tank backward to avoid having the tank cap filling upthe ovoid shape required by the SYSSA's choke plate arraignmentor 2) choose a different tank altogether. Running the fuel lines will be NOproblem. Bent some brass fuel tubing and will run mount the throttle and choke set ups on a balsa servo box in the space vacated by the rag doll and seat.

Won't be running an opto kill switch in this one, however. Choke will be servo activated and should have enough throw to properly close it. The throttle servo was going to be an interesting challenge if left at the "under floor" position.

Hope to maiden this one along with my GP Super Stearman sporting a DLE-20 very soon!

I'll post pics and video once the maidens are successful.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:57 PM
noddy181

Gidday

I am putting one of these TC's together at the moment, I had the old 85 inch for a few years and got pestered by one of our members for to sell, i eventually gave in.
So ended up buying one of these, then came across an old 85 in need of repair (a real mess, but almost back together now.
I am deciding on the engine for the new TC, I have the choice on a Saito 182 or ASP160, when you inverted your 182, did you have to cut the cowl for the exhaust, now being on the top.

Noddy
Old 07-24-2011, 04:41 AM
ya33a

G'Day,

Here's the link to the installation of the FG20, the exhaust used a 90 degree adapter, to get it out through the cutout behind the cowling, I recently added an exhaust extension to take the residue away from the underside of the fuse and the oil from the crank case. You might notice the cutouts for the head in the cowl too, I know your engine is a couple of mm taller than mine so you may have to cut more away, plus I used the Hangar 9 engine mount to put the engine further forward. If you check out post 40 there are pictures of your old plane...

http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/Taylorcraft/
Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 AM
ya33a

Oh, I just realised the 182 is a twin...., um, I have the 100T in a Seagull Decathlon, ran it today, it's a tight fit under the cowl and rubs a bit, so I usually run the engine with the cowling off. the taper on the taylorcraft may give you some room to slot the 182 in?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:32 AM
noddy181

Thanks for the Photos and Ideas, the old Taylor was a complete strip, will recover in Koverall, might paint it white and yellow , there's a post earlier with photos of a white and yellow TC
By the detail in your TC, I thought you might like the attached photos, the plane is a Heston Phoenix only six ever made, wingspan on this is 96 inch I think, it was built by a friend in Albury from a 3 view drawing, the retracts are functional.

Noddy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87886.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1639232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53804.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1639233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45762.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1639234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11771.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1639235  
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

noddy181,

A very unusual and unique aircraft!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: noddy181

Gidday

I am putting one of these TC's together at the moment, I had the old 85 inch for a few years and got pestered by one of our members for to sell, i eventually gave in.
So ended up buying one of these, then came across an old 85 in need of repair (a real mess, but almost back together now.
I am deciding on the engine for the new TC, I have the choice on a Saito 182 or ASP160, when you inverted your 182, did you have to cut the cowl for the exhaust, now being on the top.

Noddy
Hi noddy yes i cut the cowl,not much tho and you should see some pics on this thread.If not let me know.The asp can be a bit of a bear to tune,we are buying os parts for one at the moment.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:01 PM
AA5BY

I did some checking and the 182 would completely fit within the cowl on center line if it were some how equipped with a prop hub extension so as to be located closer to the fire wall, though I don't recall exactly how long. A prop hub extension would take a little lathe work with perhaps using a four bolt prop scheme but it would be doable.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

I don't believe you just said all that..will try and post a pic
Old 07-26-2011, 05:08 AM
ya33a

Hi,

My first club, TCMAC, in 1978..... Plenty of active modellers then and now, with some really lovely models. I have friends there still flying, one has a 1:1 scale Nanchang CJ6 at Albury airport along with some other scale planes, so I try and find an excuse to do aeros with him over the weir or over Mt Hotham.

Has your friend been flying down that way long?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 AM
noddy181

Hi

Test flew the TC yesterday, I fitted a ASP160 twin I picked up on RC Trader, a real gem, I had an onboard glow from my Saito 60 twin, so fitted that up, mounted a APC 16x7 Pattern prop, primed,hit it with the starter and it purred beautifully.
Gave it a few trial runs up and down the strip then let it go, a few clicks of up trim was all that was needed, balance was on 4 inch, I thought my old 85 inch TC was hard to beat but this is the best, I wont be selling this one.
My only wish is for HANGAR 9 to start offering their premium scale aircraft covered in coverall as a ready to paint, or cover them all white and offer a trim pack to let modellers personalise their models.
Not sure how long my friend has been with TCMAC but its got to be about 8 years plus, he moved down there from Sydney, he used to be a member of the Garawarra club in Sutherland.

Noddy
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM
5blue

I agree with Noddy - I love this plane with my twin 160 - and flys like a dream - wouldn't put anything else on it and it doesn't mess up the cowel
Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took some advice earlier in this forum on CG. Rather than adding a ton of lead with my G20, I added a few ounces only and balanced at a more AFT CG location than the book amount. I do not remember exactly what I used but it was at least 1/4" back from the book amount. Someone else said theirs flew good at that setting. It does fly good and land good, but when I find it very hard to fly inverted. Any amount of down elevator I input when inverted and the nose points to the sky, its very hard to level fly it level inverted. On Aerobats that I mostly fly I think they say you should just have to give a little down to keep level flight. So my questions are:

1. What CG measurement have you guys found the best?
2. Does my inverted flight situation above mean I am tail heavy? Or does a high wing Tcraft not react like an Extra or Yak?
Old 08-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Rudolph Hart

They fly really good at that cg point you describe.Need a little down elevator on approach,good luck
Old 08-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Rudolph Hart

Noddy do you have any pics of the installation?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 AM
noddy181

Gidday Old Fart

Will snap some off this weekend, a bit busy with work, i buy all our packaging and chemicals at work and this recent hiccup in the economy is causing some major grief, will try and post in the next few days, are you going to sheparton in September.

Mark
Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 AM
noddy181

Hi

I sent you an email regarding cowl openings and cooling, as soon as we put the cowl on, the heat went up, any help would be greatly received.

Mark
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 PM
5blue

its a great plane - flys well in the wind - but I' m conservative 10-12 MPH max did a plastic roll cage for the pilot - not sure how the
PNP flys but mine will fly with three clicks of throttle and a little up elevator - plus will land its self - if you wish - I can forward picts
Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 AM
ya33a

Hi Guys:-

Straight out of the manual, it's basically the plane hangs horizontal (Tailplane level, nose level, prop vertical) when you pick it up by the pipe which supports the wing tube, (keep the wing tube inside the pipe otherwise it gets soft and fails, it's almost impossible to repair and put back inthe plane, I've tried 3 times and have given up, mine was fractured from new, so I tried to epoxy it, made a mess... I added 230g of lead. I'm thinking of junking the heavy pushrods and replacing them with carbon, I had to throw out the white rear struts to the top of the tail plane and used bicycle spokes to fix the usless white struts as supplied...

From the manual:

The recommended Center of Gravity (CG) location for
your model is 3 3/4-inch (95mm) behind the leading
edge of the wing (25% chord). Mark the location for
the Center of Gravity on a piece of low-tack tape on
the bottom of the wing next to the fuselage as shown.
When balancing your model, support the plane
upright at the marks made on the bottom of the wing
with your fingers or a commercially available
balancing stand. This is the correct balance point for
your model. You might find you need to add a small
amount of weight to either the front or back of the
fuselage to achieve the correct balance.
After the first flights, the CG position may be adjusted
to suit your personal preference. Prototypes have been
flown with the CG as far back as 4 1/8-inch (105mm).
Old 09-22-2011, 11:33 AM
flynnaire
My Feedback: (24)

Jeff I'm doing a darkside build of this on another forum,Any chance you can post some pictures of your lipo set up?
([link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1508779]Hangar 9 20cc Taylorcraft Electric[/link]

Here's mine:

Eflite Power 110 on 9S. It will hover and fly for 10-12 minutes. Batteries fit in the same space as the fuel tank so there's no modification needed. Greay flying plane!

Jeff
Old 09-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Rudolph Hart

Hey mark did you sort out the cooling issues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.