Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

Hi hooker 53. My Saito 325 is powering a 16 Lb yak 55SP. Saito says the engine is 3.8 Hp. It is not, more like 3 Hp. It flies my Yak with authority in the full scale fashion. The power is just below hovering. The real ones certainly do not hover! After much experimentation a Xoar 20x10 seems to be ideal. A zenoah 62 has much more power but also much more vibration too. -Tom
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, thanks for the input. My calculations told me that the 325 would not pull the big Sukhoi but I guess I befail victim to wishful thinking on my part. Ha. Number one on the top of my list is a Aeroworks Stearman but they don't make them anymore. I would take a crashed one and rebuild but they are even hard to find. Thanks again. Roy
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay
Here is the shindig.....
If you got the email from Advantage hobby....
you get another discount off the already discounted saito's...

Subtotal:
$1599.99
Discount coupon
$160.00
Discounted subtotal:
$1439.99
Shipping / Handling :
FREE!

Total:
$1439.99

That is correct..... 1440$ for a saito 5-cyl engine!..
Includes: flex pipes for all cyl's and includes the stainless shortee's as well....
Good stuff....

spoke with Lyle, today on the phone....
I recieved my engine within 3-days standard shipping.....
Then again, I live very close....to IL.

No worries buying from them....good guys....

Justin.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: SOUTHERNX

Hi kochj, after reading your post regarding the price of the Saito 5cyl. radial at Advantage,and receiving all the exhaust flex pipes,I jumped in and ordered one,I hope Iam as lucky. I purchased the flex pipe for a 56OS Alpha locally and it cost $90au !!! Just a quick note on Seidel Radials, Swift Hobbies in England have the 250cc petrol in stock but are waiting for the ignition systems to arrive(from Germany apparently).Cost to Australia isapprox $3780au including freight. Engine from India, ignition from Germany,customer in Australia,one day it will all come together .
Your's will have the flex pipes as well...
Just make sure that you take care in mounting the pipes....The vibrations over time, can
cause them to split.... not sure what the best way to mount them...

It shows the correct order in the manual, but not sure if I want ot mount them to the engine??
Or to the firewall on a rubber mount??....

I didn't get the additional discount, but did get a discount for New customer...
If I waited I could have gotten 80$ more off the engine, but then I would have taken a risk in not getting a engine....
They could have been all sold out?? never know...as it is for INSTOCK only...

The engine comes with the glow wires with leads as well...
Saito ROCKS>....

Mine is going in the TopFlite Staggerwing...
Old 03-29-2010, 06:41 PM
kivisto

Shamelessly I succub as well. Saito 325r $1439, way to easy!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:56 AM
radial1951

Me too !!! Now I can stop pulling my hair out. Your recommendation certainly helped, Justin. Rang Advantage last night on Skype and spoke with Len Sabato. That helped too. And so did 76 Forum pages of info.

We all have our own reasons for choosing one engine over another. Mine were mainly technical, although at times a bit difficult to justify the extra $$... especially against the ASP, and the (good looking) Seidel 7 cyl.
Making a list of the features and points which mattered to ME made it a lot easier. I'm sure all of the engines would give good service.

Anyhow, the last day of the Saito Deal starts NOW. Better make up your minds soon... and don't forget spare glow plugs are also on sale. The 325R5D has TEN of them! file:///1%20Emoticons/eek.gif

Greetings from Sydney. Ross.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:50 AM
kochj

LOL....
Great guys....
I ran mine yesterday....
took off all the valve covers and used the steel headers (this way I could tell if all cyl. were lit)
Ran it on a test stand...

couple things....

1. withthe valve covers removed (and there are 10 of them with 40 screws to hold them on)
you can spray them with wd40 while they break in, I used syn. oil and driped it on them.

2. 5 glow plugs really suck the juice....I ended up using my power box and associated charger (used for rc car racing)
and used the power output function (which used to run laths to cut comms on electric motors)
and I could put it on exact volts and keep it there without ever worring about how much power it is drawing and it the battery is
used up.... WOrked great at 1.0-1.2 volts.....great stuff...

3. When do running I injected the breather hole/ crankase breather nipple with aircompressor oil....
Any issues of using that kind of oil? didn't have after run....
This realy cleaned out the excess alcohol as I sucked out most of what I put in after flipping the prop a bit.
I think that this is the main concern area for rusting....That alcohol is nasty stuff to engines, and bearings...

You guys made the right decision.... I think the seidel 7-70 sounds a little better Seidel engines may take months more to get here and they will not fit where this one will...
....And although horrizon hobby now has a sale on ALL there saito's, it didn't match the price we go ours at.... Heck if we sell these engines a few years from now, we will get what we paid for them used....
These are not going to drop in price fellows!....radials are timless....
These are made in Japan dudes....GOOD STUFF.....NOT in CHINA or India/china.....
Comes with a 3-year warrenty...do Seidels even have a Warrenty??

I am not crackin on the other engines, and where there made, I am just very happy I was able to get my
dream engines....

Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 AM
hooker53

Once you own and operate a 325, 170 or 450, you are never the same. Your buddies at the field will always look at you differant. Small kids will come up and ask you the ways of life. Old folks will ask your opinion of things. Animals in the wild will yield the right of way and watch you pass, and you will know that the oxen are slow but the ground is forgiving. Happy Easter to all!!!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:13 AM
jfassino

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Once you own and operate a 325, 170 or 450, you are never the same. Your buddies at the field will always look at you different. Small kids will come up and ask you the ways of life. Old folks will ask your opinion of things. Animals in the wild will yield the right of way and watch you pass, and you will know that the oxen are slow but the ground is forgiving. Happy Easter to all!!!!!

Hooker,

It sounds like a dream, then I thought of my wife's reaction after she see the invoice for the radial.....I'm thinking more nightmare than dream. Happy Easter from a single cylinder guy.

Jim
Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 AM
hooker53

Ha. Ha. Roger that Jim. Some things ya just can't show at home!!! Have a good one!!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Felix Barrao

ORIGINAL: kochj

Comes with a 3-year warrenty...do Seidels even have a Warrenty??

Yes, they have two year warranty.

Regards
Félix
Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
radial1951

kochj said

3. When do running I injected the breather hole/ crankase breather nipple with aircompressor oil....
Any issues of using that kind of oil? didn't have after run....
This realy cleaned out the excess alcohol as I sucked out most of what I put in after flipping the prop a bit.
I think that this is the main concern area for rusting....That alcohol is nasty stuff to engines, and bearings...
-
As I understand it, the alcohol won't hurt the engine on its own. I read somewhere that a by-product of nitromethane combustion is nitric acid. Not good stuff! One advantage of the Seidels I guess... no nitro in the fuel. Perhaps the answer is to run your engine regularly :-)

Back to the Saito R5. What brand and size props are being used. The spec says the benchmark is 20x10 but 20x8 is ok too. Would an 18x10 or 18x12 be ok too? I have a 20 year old 82" Yak50 that's a bit close to the ground. Just want to fly it and enjoy the sound...

SOUTHERNX have you got yours yet? Mine cleared customs yesterday. I hope we don't get whacked with GST.

Regards, RossG. (radial1951)

Old 04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
SOUTHERNX

Hi radial1915, yes I received mine on Tuesday,(no import duty), and it does have the flex. pipes.I was tempted to buy the ASP400 a while ago because of price, but as there weresome negative reports concerning rusting and cam gear wear,as well as link pin failure, I am glad I did not go ahead, the Saito realy is a work of art !!!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
radial1951

Hi SOUTHERNX. It's radial1951 not 1915. I'm not that old :-)

Well I got my Saito 325 from Advantage Hobby yesterday too. 7 days total including the Easter Weekend, excellent service.
WOW! Talk about beautifully finished and packaged. At $1530 inc post it was about $450 more than the ASP 400 would cost me.
It was certainly a good deal, especially as customs didn't worry about charging GST. (Aussie 10% Goods and Services Tax) Phew.

I agree, but not just a work of art, the Saito is technically much better, but that comes at a price.
Looks great on the desk and is an excellent paperweight :-) VERY happy! Thanks to all on this forum...

How can I figure out what size 3 blade prop would be equal to a 20x10 2 blade prop?

Regards, RossG

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68354.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1413916  
Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 PM
hooker53

Ross, Use a 18-8 or 18-10 on the three blade. Welcome to the 325 club!!! Roy
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
radial1951

Roy, thanks for the welcome and the info. I wonder if there is some sort of formula to convert from 2 to 3 blades?

Have any forum members run a three blade prop on the Saito?

Regards, RossG
Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 AM
SOUTHERNX

Hi Radial1951,Sorry about the number mix up, must have been those shiny saito tappet covers blinding me.I ordered the Mc daniels on board glow system for the Saito today, about 100 USD. I have this pulsed system on a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth and it performs very well on the 120 OS pumper in it.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: radial1951

Roy, thanks for the welcome and the info. I wonder if there is some sort of formula to convert from 2 to 3 blades?

Have any forum members run a three blade prop on the Saito?

Regards, RossG
Generally the formula is to subtract one or the other. To go to a 3-blade you go down 1 in pitch (which GENERALLY goes 4-6-8-10-12).....OR.....go down 1 (inch) in diameter. This is a quikie field fomula. There is NOTHING scientific about it so lets not get all technical

I ran a Saito 90 with a 14-7 3-blade. Idle'd at 1500 reliably, WOT 4700, extremely heavy Graupner prop. This was on a Senior Tele that was set up for STOL bush-style. Had a 2 foot roll out on lift off

Since we are just sittin around here waitin for the Siedels to come in Ill post up a vid of my son flying it. Hard to see cause the sun was going down, hence, we kept flying closer and closer to ourselves. So check out where we ended up at. Also, turn up the volume so you can hear the throttle managment.

Enjoy...

http://www.vimeo.com/2290571

Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 AM
S.L.engines

Hello

I am the owner of SLengines, I wanted to inform you that our new engines are not sold by Moki Italy-but only for the moment only Costellation and Glow.
The new range instead 100/150/250/cc Petrol is sold directly by SLengines total price excl. and then - 20% VAT for you.

[email protected]" closure_uid_r7lcws="577" style="background-color: #fff">For further information chiedemi well without problems or write to [email protected]

Good flying to all

Shoulder and Luigi Lazzarini Diego
S.L.engines
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 PM
radial1951

Thanks for that Dad_Roman, gee only 4700rpm @WOTis slow fora Saito 90. Sounds like too much propor a typo !?Seems like hooker53 was spot on. Saito say 20x8 to 20x10 so I guess 18x8, 18x10 or even 18x12 would be ok.

SOUTHERNX what do you mean by "this pulsed system"? Where are you getting the McDaniels system from?Are the tappet (rocker)covers just brass plated and do theytarnish? Gold plating would stay shiny...

Regards, RossG
Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 PM
SOUTHERNX

Hi Radial 1951, don't know what the tappet covers are made of ,or plated with,they may tarnish in time.The onboard glow system I use can be viewed at www.sonictronics.com They have a good range of glow drivers to suit both single and multi cyl. engines. The glow plug clip they use is metal ( push on and turn like a light bulb),and these pulsed systems run on 4.8volt. They operate the same as most power panels on flight boxes, Mark.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:28 AM
radial1951

Thanks SOUTHERNX. Now I know why it's called a pulse system. Pretty clever. I'll also check out the microsens version too.
Regards, RossG

ORIGINAL: SOUTHERNX

Hi Radial 1951, don't know what the tappet covers are made of ,or plated with,they may tarnish in time.The onboard glow system I use can be viewed at www.sonictronics.com They have a good range of glow drivers to suit both single and multi cyl. engines. The glow plug clip they use is metal ( push on and turn like a light bulb),and these pulsed systems run on 4.8volt. They operate the same as most power panels on flight boxes, Mark.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:21 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: jfassino

It sounds like a dream, then I thought of my wife's reaction after she see the invoice for the radial.....I'm thinking more nightmare than dream. Happy Easter from a single cylinder guy.

Jim

Remeber...."It is better to ask for forgiveness, than permission!"

I Have found something better to use on the vlave heads....
It is that good gray greese that comes on most singles (especially on that crucial joint between the rod/crank joint)
that is if the guy from the factory cared about his work....
Out of the two singles I have just purchased from saito (fg-36, 1.25) the yboth had it....
My radial didn't....I do notice that this is sticky stuff....I am going to place my valve covers back on, as I don't want dirt getting into it...

I love my radial...
I love my radial...Ohh...and I love saito engines....

I am thinking about picking up a saito 300twin but not sure yet....As I would like to have there super lightweigt .82...(biig dif in price)

Still having the sale guys....At Advantage....Enter the stayhomeandsave into the cupon area, and save even more...untill 4/18...

Old 04-17-2010, 05:24 AM
kochj

I have looked over the 325R and have noticed that they even made the front of the mold to include
a Foux micro nut/bolt on the cover as to have the effect of a real radial engine....

I did notice (I am abit of a perfectionist) that a few of these didn't come out clean in the mold and are a little
squished looking...Perhaps all the engines turned out this way...I know molds get worn over time, and are
quite pricey to make..At least the Plastic model molds do over time...Look out for the re-released kits from
some of the cheap revell model co....They have been using the same USED up molds for years on there p-38's!//

Okay back on track...

Guys with the saito 325 5-cyl....

When you place you engine Flat on the table ( resting on the mounts) does yours
have some Wobble??
The engine mounts are bent out of stamped steel, so there can be come varience....or my engine was dropped off the IDS Tower
when it was shipped and landed flat on the mounts??

When the engine sits in the cowl of my Staggerwing, it looks like a REAL Aircraft engine!......

And...I guss that Marvale mystry AIRTOOL oil is what you want to put into the breather hole
after running this beast....I guess the regular mystry oil will gunk up like cement over time...but
My engine will not sit that long....I have only compressor oil.... I hope this doesn't wreck Glow plugs...??

What eats on the filiments/iridium???? Some kind of lubricant???

10 plugs is a bit if a expence!!...[:-][][X(][>:]
Old 04-17-2010, 12:19 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you seen the Valach engies... ?

the small 420cc
http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/valach420.html

And the slightly larger 800cc
http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/valach800.html

you got to "see" listen to these videos

800cc
http://www.valachmotors.cz/images/vm800.mpg

420cc
http://www.valachmotors.cz/images/vm420.mpg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80562.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	551.3 KB
ID:	1419609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78892.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	1419610  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.