Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 10:33 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

hey now, if this helps.
I totally forgot about "Resolution"! to set the throw on my P-40 Ailerons at 6mm I just set the Duel Rate to 25% (6mm) and was done with it it. god, well,, my plane flies and feel terrible on the Aileron stick, all most no feel at all !! then last night I figured it out "Resolution", I searched Google to get more info>

edit; after you click on my link you may have to open the PDF at the bottom of your screen..

Resolution.pdf

so to add, I hate the way the servos lay down. and I hate the way the linkage is set on such an angle, I think I am going to be adding wood to the servo bay on my planes so the servos mount vertically. with that the linkage will be much straighter.

I like that yes I do

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 05-21-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:57 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Current project.
Before & after

masking the cowl so I can paint it now.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:14 PM
the Wasp

looking better !! isn't that^ the one you were telling us about with the 20ft span

Jim
Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 AM
acdii

Me? 20' span? Not that I'm aware of. My largest plane is now in the possession of the Crunch. I finished the Fuse last night, now have to strip the covering on the rudder and elevator and get those covered, then I can reassemble it. Then the awful task of stripping the wing. As you can see the white is no longer white, so doesn't match at all, or I would leave it as is, but the covering is heavy, I already shaved nearly a half pound off.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:15 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The 150 carb is fully adapted to the120-S, the velocity stack is sealed with two of the white choke bushings and a lightly squeezed O-ring.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 05-22-2020 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Add aa word
Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=Hobbsy;12606119]OK, here is going to be another parts engine, a Saito 120-S, I sleeved a 150 carb down .5 mm and moved the carb mount holes to north and south from diagonal. The 120-S cam housing will not workwith the mushroom lifters and that means that the 120-S push rod covers are a hair long, easily fixed. I am waiting on a ring and bearings, the cam I put in it has an S on the front and is not worn at all. The crank case has no initial on the right and appears to be brand new.

The Saitoa are good.The mini crate engine display/storage stand is genius.
When Bill Harley was drawing v twin ohv motors, Americans were assembling knuckleheads on the shop floor sitting on wood 2x4s crossbars on two 4x4s.
Soon my shelfie Satos will be sitting on wood "build crates"
Just like my 46 OHV.
Thanks for the memories.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:16 AM
the Wasp

hey Guys, this winter one day, while walking back to my house from getting the mail, I heard a jet why off, I didn't think much about it..

3 days later I was coming into the house and I heard that jet again, it was a little closer..

a week later I was out getting the mail again and again I heard that jet and it was even closer so I was thinking more about it..

well since then I have only heard it a couple more times but it was way off. but I had a good idea about it..

well today 3 of them just about flew right over my house,, and I knew they were coming! I was out on the back deck waiting to see them. I could hear them coming. they were low. as they got closer to my house all I could hear was the fans, it was a high pitched sound, something close to an electric fan RC jet. but 1000x more intense, < I got a big kick out of that sound !! as they passed over and flew off I could hear it was the same growling sound that I heard in the winter !
they were three F35s, too cool
Old 05-22-2020, 09:26 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by acdii
Me? 20' span? Not that I'm aware of. My largest plane is now in the possession of the Crunch. I finished the Fuse last night, now have to strip the covering on the rudder and elevator and get those covered, then I can reassemble it. Then the awful task of stripping the wing. As you can see the white is no longer white, so doesn't match at all, or I would leave it as is, but the covering is heavy, I already shaved nearly a half pound off.
a few pages back some one was talking about a huge Chipmunk that was given to them

Jim
Old 05-22-2020, 10:43 AM
acdii

That wasn't me, LOL I built mine from a Goldberg kit. But, depending on how this flies with a stable engine in it, if I like it I might find plans for one that I can fit the DA100 in.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:56 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

You guys talking about the 100"ws Super Chippie I picked up for a song? Sold it in one day for 3x what I paid.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:38 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
You guys talking about the 100"ws Super Chippie I picked up for a song? Sold it in one day for 3x what I paid.
Dang, that will do it LOL

​​​​​​​Jim
Old 05-23-2020, 03:04 AM
Hobbsy

[QUOTE=Hyjinx;12606310]
Originally Posted by Hobbsy
OK, here is going to be another parts engine, a Saito 120-S, I sleeved a 150 carb down .5 mm and moved the carb mount holes to north and south from diagonal. The 120-S cam housing will not workwith the mushroom lifters and that means that the 120-S push rod covers are a hair long, easily fixed. I am waiting on a ring and bearings, the cam I put in it has an S on the front and is not worn at all. The crank case has no initial on the right and appears to be brand new.

The Saitoa are good.The mini crate engine display/storage stand is genius.
When Bill Harley was drawing v twin ohv motors, Americans were assembling knuckleheads on the shop floor sitting on wood 2x4s crossbars on two 4x4s.
Soon my shelfie Satos will be sitting on wood "build crates"
Just like my 46 OHV.
Thanks for the memories.
Thanks, I made up about four of them for the different size engine blocks.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:05 AM
Hyjinx

[QUOTE=Hobbsy;12606437]
Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Thanks, I made up about four of them for the different size engine blocks.
Cool stuff!
Old 05-23-2020, 07:13 AM
acdii

I shaved a pound off my Chipmunk. The paint and fabric was heavy! Now to spend the rest of the weekend sanding the residue off the wing. Then I can fit the FA-100 on it and see if I can salvage the cowl, or make a new one. Since that engine runs so good now, and the Magnum I had in it was still new and not broken in, I will put the trusty one in it. I have 3 Magnum 91's, NIB now, well, 2 NIB, one barely run. If I had a fourth I could use them on the B-17, so maybe I will see about finding a fourth one down the road when I get around to building the plane. Once they are broken in, they are really good engines, but the break in period sucks, have to get at least a gallon through them before they run right. The Saito, geez, I think one tank is all they need, at least the ones I bought new did.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 AM
the Wasp

this plane needs more grunt, it needs a Saito !!

Old 05-23-2020, 03:31 PM
Glowgeek

Good to be back home. I spent the last week in Austin Tx helping a friend with some repair on his full scale Wich Hawk and putting up 37 lineal feet of commercial peg board and shelving units. With temps in the upper 90s his hanger was hot Hot HOT! If I had any weight to lose, which I don't, that would have done it. Whew!

I'll try to get to the 115/125 testing done tomorrow after 6 hrs. of mowing. Rain starts up again on Monday and continues throughout the week........again.

So after driving 9.5 hrs today I get to ride the mower for 6 hrs tomorrow and then drive 6 hrs round trip to Springfield Mo. on Monday to deliver the Super Chippie to its new owner.

I feel like a trucker, except for the Hemorrhoids

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-23-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:44 PM
the Wasp

Good to be back home. I spent the last week in Austin Tx helping a friend with some repair on his full scale Wich Hawk and putting up 37 lineal feet of commercial peg board and shelving units. With temps in the upper 90s his hanger was hot Hot HOT! If I had any weight to lose, which I don't, that would have done it. Whew!
'll try to get to the 115/125 testing done tomorrow after 6 hrs. of mowing. Rain starts up again on Monday and continues throughout the week........again.
So after driving 9.5 hrs today I get to ride the mower for 6 hrs tomorrow and then drive 6 hrs round trip to Springfield Mo. on Monday to deliver the Super Chippie to its new owner.
I feel like a trucker, except for the Hemorrhoids
oh ,, you make me feel bad, all I did the last 3 days was catch 3 Chipmunks (the 4 legged ones) and re-homed them 3 miles away. I like the cute little guys but they dig under my front porch.

Oh, Oh, if any of you guys want or need a groundhog PM me and we will talk. maybe I can do you a favor on that LOL

Jim
Old 05-23-2020, 06:31 PM
acdii

Got the Chipmunk wing stripped, so long 8 ounces. I haven't cut the controls off yet, will see if I can get the old cloth off and sanded before deciding to take them off or not. I only have 15 hinges, and need 16. Under the stiff covering I found crash damage to rib 2 and the LE, so had to cut back the skin to repair the rib and then spliced in a new LE, so now the wing is good as new, but tons of sanding still to do to get the old adhesive and primer off.

Shopped for ROB308, all sold out. Searched for ROB311B, all sold out, even on Amazon. Went to Robarts, looks like in stock so ordered the 100 count bag. That should give me plenty of 1/8th" hinge pins, the most common used size so far that I use. Between the Chipmunk, Corsair and P-51 I will use a good amount of those hinges.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:36 AM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Dave, did you sell the K&B 100 ??
as far as smelly 2st go that's a beautiful engine.

Jim
I still have it along with it's Davis Diesel conversion head. Not as pretty as yours. I also have a 45 Sportster, both have scary compression. I don't know if the 45 has bronze bushing or the crank runs in the bare crankcase.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:07 AM
Glowgeek

Got the Chipmunk wing stripped, so long 8 ounces..........
That's a lot of excess weight to shed and even though Monokote, Ultracote etc will weigh less it will of course add some weight back. Thing is, if recovering your entire plane with a lighter covering the outcome will be a much more nose heavy airframe in comparison to the old cloth/paint covering. If using the same engine as before you will no doubt need to add weight to the tail. Once rebalanced it should end up lighter than before but maybe not as light as it would first appear.

Someone has to be the guinea pig on newly released arfs and kits. When they come out nose heavy and the word gets out folks will many times fully sheet, glass and paint the model or use heavy fabric to add the needed tail weight.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-24-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:19 PM
acdii

With luck I wont need nose weight like I did before. The covering added about 1 ounce to the fuse, if that. I haven't weighed the engines yet to compare, but Saito are usually lighter than the others, so we shall see. When I rebalanced the P-5, I got it to 5 1/2" back from the LE next to the fuse. Had to add 1 1/2 ounces to the tail, but thats good too because I was able to glue it to the opposite side of the big can muffler which made it heavy on the left side. Now it balances laterally too. I'm hoping now that it has been balanced with the Vanessa rig, instead of the plane dumper, it will be less likely to nose over on taxi.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:19 PM
Hyjinx

With luck I wont need nose weight like I did before. The covering added about 1 ounce to the fuse, if that. I haven't weighed the engines yet to compare, but Saito are usually lighter than the others, so we shall see. When I rebalanced the P-5, I got it to 5 1/2" back from the LE next to the fuse. Had to add 1 1/2 ounces to the tail, but thats good too because I was able to glue it to the opposite side of the big can muffler which made it heavy on the left side. Now it balances laterally too. I'm hoping now that it has been balanced with the Vanessa rig, instead of the plane dumper, it will be less likely to nose over on taxi.
Humor the feeble minded please Acdii.
What is a plane dumper?
Was the 5 1/2" dimension on the cg a factory/print variable or was it derived soley with the Vanessa Rig without prior cg references?
Do tell 🤔
Old 05-25-2020, 02:11 AM
Glowgeek

The Great Planes "Plane Dumper"

Get your plane tilted a little too far and it will slide off and come crashing down on the cross bar. My TF "Hurry Home Honey" P51 has a crushed hood from that very thing. CG should be 5-5/8" for that particular P51 according to the manual.

BTW, that cg machine works very well with repeatable results if you make sure the scales are parallel to the datum line of the fuse.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-25-2020 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 AM
Hyjinx

The Great Planes "Plane Dumper"

Get your plane tilted a little too far and it will slide off and come crashing down on the cross bar. My TF "Hurry Home Honey" P51 has a crushed hood from that very thing. CG should be 5-5/8" for that particular P51 according to the manual.

BTW, that cg machine works very well with repeatable results if you make sure the scales are parallel to the datum line of the fuse.
LOL I was expecting the little cg machine. i too have had plenty of impressive slide off pre crashes in the basement too. Hence the Vanessa rig. i end up with quite a few airframes i dont have cg specs on. I have used my Vanessa rig on most of my 1/5 and 1/4 scales but admittedly dont trust the thing without a designers comparable spec. I DO trust the scale it hangs by and the ability to lateral balance effectively. The 1/3 scale Stearman is just impractical to balance without two mechanics palming the underside of the upper wings, even though the rig would be less stress to the wings.
A level to earth elevator surface creates a datum line along the fuse and that datum line must also in theory be level with the earth to fly level. ( my humble simplistic thoughts) But that datum may be influenced by the elevator incidence, which to me calls the whole concept into question in my mind. Just cant wrap my head around it even though it seems bullet proof.
I am a simple man. This is a simple concept. i am still simply skeptical. My last name is not Simon. I love this forum. Saito motors are good clean fun!
Old 05-25-2020, 07:35 AM
acdii

Yes, the famous plane dumper. I still have it, but don't use it anymore, the VR is so much easier to use and much much safer for the plane. As long as the stab is level, the CG will be dead on so adding weight to the nose or tail and re-leveling moves the plumb bob to the new CG point. No guessing. It is most helpful on those planes that have a fine CG that would easily be dumped on the plane dumper. Those being the ones that have a fixed CG instead of a range. On the P-51 the book calls for 5 5/8, most have found the balance is better between 5 1/4 and 5 1/2. For some reason this morning can't wrap my mind around if that is nose or tail heavy.

The largest plane I used the VR on was the Rascal 168 with the 14' WS and 53 pounds dead weight. Had to rig it up in my garage to use it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.