Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 06-10-2020, 04:55 AM
  #46526  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 970
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default



Ok Guys Way off topic. Can't get a response in the "other" forum. Who can identify this os carb?
​​​​​​
Old 06-10-2020, 07:22 AM
  #46527  
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brockton, MA
Posts: 4,291
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Danker,
I can't answer your question but I did run into a similar situation and thought of something for your consideration. I was building up a P-51 kit and was going to use a Saito 125 for it. Luckly, I had the forethought to put the engine against the plans and found out that the Saito 125 would not fit my particular airplane - the engine was too long and I couldn't move the firewall back. If I hadn't checked, I could have painted myself into a bad corner on this one.

I don't know if this is an issue for your kit and the 150. I just thought I would point it out in case you might want to check.

Just my $.02

Bob.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:37 AM
  #46528  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Danker16
in regard to the top flite p 51 arf 64.5in would a saito 150 be too much for it? Im looking for a speedy p51. Or would the 71in p 51 hangar 9 be better suited?
The saito 150 would be a better fit for the H9 (69-1/2" ws) 20cc P51. Not saying you couldn't shoe horn it into the TF .60 size P51 though, plenty of folks have put DLE20RA engines in them.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 06-10-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:46 AM
  #46529  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

So, decided to put the progress on the recovering up. Goldberg Super Chipmunk, the Recovering

Has the Saito 100 on it, now have to find a prop and spinner for it
Old 06-10-2020, 10:52 AM
  #46530  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

See what you've done? You've made the rest of the Chippie look so nice there's just no way you can leave those two lower stripes on the rudder like that.

A 14x8 would work well with the fa100.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 06-10-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:01 PM
  #46531  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Yeah, that will be fixed too. I have to order some props. Going direct to APC, Tower prices are outrageous. Went to Valley View RC but they are out of stock on the XOAR props I need. I need to do a quick once around to gather the sizes in use on my planes and get a few spares for them all. The one size I have plenty of are 11x7 for the LT-40. I may throw a 12 x 4W on it for kicks to see if I can actually get it to hover. I came close a few times before the nose flipped over.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:35 PM
  #46532  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
Yeah, that will be fixed too. I have to order some props. Going direct to APC, Tower prices are outrageous. Went to Valley View RC but they are out of stock on the XOAR props I need. I need to do a quick once around to gather the sizes in use on my planes and get a few spares for them all. The one size I have plenty of are 11x7 for the LT-40. I may throw a 12 x 4W on it for kicks to see if I can actually get it to hover. I came close a few times before the nose flipped over.
Same here, I order my props direct from APC.

I hovered my LT-40, it's not easy, even harder if nose heavy as most high wing aircraft are set up. Moving the cg back will help.

Stall the plane up high and with no throttle put it in a vertical dive to see how aggresively it pulls out towards the canopy with the sticks at nuetral. Keep moving the cg back until it barely pulls out on its own; that will ensure that the plane is still stable. It will not only hover better but will also require less down elev when inverted and little to no up elev to land. Other bonuses to a more rearward cg will be greater elev sensitivity and less propensity to climb with increase in throttle.

saito Saito SAITO!

Last edited by Glowgeek; 06-10-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:25 PM
  #46533  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Well, it no longer has a trainer wing, it goes where I point it. If I point it nose down, it goes nose down, nose up, it goes nose up, 45* bank it stays in a 45* bank. I flattened the wing so it no longer recovers on it's own. The only thing it won't do is tip stall because of the angled wing tips. I know it is nose heavy though, I have zero weight in it, it just built nose heavy but plane to move the battery pack back a bit, probably under the servo tray. It flies well with the FG-11, and actually did hover a bit with the OS 52 on it on a calm day, any wind would push the nose over though.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:03 PM
  #46534  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
Well, it no longer has a trainer wing, it goes where I point it. If I point it nose down, it goes nose down, nose up, it goes nose up, 45* bank it stays in a 45* bank. I flattened the wing so it no longer recovers on it's own. The only thing it won't do is tip stall because of the angled wing tips. I know it is nose heavy though, I have zero weight in it, it just built nose heavy but plane to move the battery pack back a bit, probably under the servo tray. It flies well with the FG-11, and actually did hover a bit with the OS 52 on it on a calm day, any wind would push the nose over though.
Oooh, I see. Great minds think alike. I reduced my dihedral as well, also took out .5 degrees of wing incidence. As a result I had to reduce the engine downthrust too. I still miss my LT-40. It was great for dropping the jaws of those old farts in the peanut gallery.

It only had one flaw, it wasn't powered by a Saito.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:40 PM
  #46535  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Danker16 View Post
in regard to the top flite p 51 arf 64.5in would a saito 150 be too much for it? Im looking for a speedy p51. Or would the 71in p 51 hangar 9 be better suited?
Originally Posted by Glowgeek
The saito 150 would be a better fit for the H9 (69-1/2" ws) 20cc P51. Not saying you couldn't shoe horn it into the TF .60 size P51 though, plenty of folks have put DLE20RA engines in them.

I agree that the 150 would be too much/too large. we have a guy in our club with a .60 size TF P-51 and it had an OS 65AX and it flew great, while not overly powerful it climbed out well. so I would suggest the Saito 125..if you go to Y.T. and search you will find many TF .60 size war planes flying very well/even fast with the Saito 100. I will come back and edit videos..

Jim

my favored Saito video, a TF Spitfire with a Saito 100 in-line twin,

P-40 with a Saito 100 in-line twin,

P-47/a Saito 100,,

oopps, here you go, a TF .60 size Mustang with a Saito 150,,

another one, same^ plane,,

Last edited by the Wasp; 06-10-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:37 AM
  #46536  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

100 or 125, both fly the plane well.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:33 AM
  #46537  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
100 or 125, both fly the plane well.
and I agree 100%, but he wants big, big, big. BIG air LOL

Jim
Old 06-11-2020, 11:44 AM
  #46538  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Counter productive though, more weight on the nose means more weight in the tail. A good balance of weight and power is a must. If a 115 puts out the same as a 125 but at a few ounces lighter, then it is a big plus. If a 150 fits without any added tail weight, then it is also a good fit. It's a point of diminishing returns.

Look at pickup trucks as an example. Ford has lighter trucks with higher capacity, but also smaller displacement engines with more power than much larger engines. A big bad V8 6.2 might have as much power as the 3.5EB, but the lighter truck the 3.5EB is in makes it faster yet also give it more payload, so bigger, isn't always better.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:49 AM
  #46539  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

hey Pete, listen to that^ silver Spitfire idle as it come's in to land, turn up the volume

Jim
Old 06-11-2020, 12:03 PM
  #46540  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
Counter productive though, more weight on the nose means more weight in the tail. A good balance of weight and power is a must. If a 115 puts out the same as a 125 but at a few ounces lighter, then it is a big plus. If a 150 fits without any added tail weight, then it is also a good fit. It's a point of diminishing returns.

Look at pickup trucks as an example. Ford has lighter trucks with higher capacity, but also smaller displacement engines with more power than much larger engines. A big bad V8 6.2 might have as much power as the 3.5EB, but the lighter truck the 3.5EB is in makes it faster yet also give it more payload, so bigger, isn't always better.

or do what I did on my ShoeString, put the battery in the tail to get the correct balance.

Jim
Old 06-11-2020, 12:08 PM
  #46541  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

As long as no dead weight. Adding dead weight defeats it.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:15 PM
  #46542  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
Counter productive though, more weight on the nose means more weight in the tail. A good balance of weight and power is a must. If a 115 puts out the same as a 125 but at a few ounces lighter, then it is a big plus. If a 150 fits without any added tail weight, then it is also a good fit. It's a point of diminishing returns.............................
True on all points except what's in bold. Surely I didn't spend all that time comparing the 115 to the 125, did I?

Jim, I agree. Always better to shift existing weight than add weight. My WM 46 size P51 has two 4.8v batts in parallel mounted in the radiator scoop to balance and that's only with an OS70 surpass up front! I have plans for that old girl. She's getting slab tail feathers and a YS 91. I'm adding weight to both ends! AUW should be just a touch over 7lbs.

Can't wait to hear that thing scream at 12K plus with a 12x12N prop. Muhahaaaa


Old 06-11-2020, 02:53 PM
  #46543  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

My very recently rebuilt saito FA-180 is still looking for a home. Last chance before I list it.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:59 PM
  #46544  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,234
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
My very recently rebuilt saito FA-180 is still looking for a home. Last chance before I list it.
As tempting as it is I'm too old to go to prison for bank robbery!
Old 06-11-2020, 06:40 PM
  #46545  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
As tempting as it is I'm too old to go to prison for bank robbery!

come on, for only $200, that new 180 Saito may be worth it. I mean you may be out in 4 to 6 months LOL

Jim
Old 06-11-2020, 07:37 PM
  #46546  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,234
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
come on, for only $200, that new 180 Saito may be worth it. I mean you may be out in 4 to 6 months LOL

Jim
Not with my luck!
Old 06-12-2020, 03:14 AM
  #46547  
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Would any of you Saito Fans have a 120 parts engine or a rod and piston, many Thanks, Dave, I'm building a second 120-S


Old 06-12-2020, 09:32 AM
  #46548  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Would any of you Saito Fans have a 120 parts engine or a rod and piston, many Thanks, Dave, I'm building a second 120-S
I'm sorry Dave!.. I have not been a Saito Freak long enough to have that many Saito parts.

Jim
Old 06-12-2020, 10:20 AM
  #46549  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
True on all points except what's in bold. Surely I didn't spend all that time comparing the 115 to the 125, did I?

Jim, I agree. Always better to shift existing weight than add weight. My WM 46 size P51 has two 4.8v batts in parallel mounted in the radiator scoop to balance and that's only with an OS70 surpass up front! I have plans for that old girl. She's getting slab tail feathers and a YS 91. I'm adding weight to both ends! AUW should be just a touch over 7lbs.

Can't wait to hear that thing scream at 12K plus with a 12x12N prop. Muhahaaaa
Lonnie, I looked for you. I looked for a WM M-Mustang with a YS 91 in it, but I didn't find one, and I didn't have time to look at them all. got to go, the wife is calling me LOL

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...midget+mustang

later !
Jim
Old 06-12-2020, 11:05 AM
  #46550  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Lonnie, I looked for you. I looked for a WM M-Mustang with a YS 91 in it, but I didn't find one, and I didn't have time to look at them all.................

later !
Jim
Oh ok Jim, thanks for looking. Mine is a WM .46 size P51 (Rockwell International version). The Bob Hoover Reno Racer model. It's still available from WM. Solid built plane but mine needs some work, the horz stab is busted (previous owner). Also the hinge lines are too wide so I thought I'd rebuild the empanage with solid balsa, recover the whole plane and get a set of decals from Callie. It's going to be fast, not pylon racing fast but fast enough. I'm shooting for 125mph with the ys91 and a 12x12 or 12x13 prop, we'll see but that project is down the road a piece.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.