Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 11:38 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Off topic if any of you guys are Futaba/JR users Tower has the Futaba NR4J 4.8V receiver battery pack for $3.49 today.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:00 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Folks running 4.8v RX batts and servos up to 50 in.lbs. of torque should jump on that one!
Old 06-26-2020, 02:06 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Jim, I'm not surprised that matching the intake opening event between Dwayne's 91 and 120 got the timing right, makes perfect sense. What I am surprised at, or rather pleasantly pleased about is that Dwayne had the wherewithal to recognize it would work. Undoubtedly that's why he asked a few posts ago, "Does the 91 and 120 use the same cam?".

Perhaps Dwayne knows more than he's letting on, or at the very least, more than I gave him credit for. Now I feel a little like I was preaching to the choir.

I have to admit that when I read that about the timing I thought about my 100 timing. and, my ambition is low, I have still not ordered fresh fuel so I have still not run my 100.

I just got my smelly 2st's battery back yesterday

Jim
Old 06-28-2020, 01:42 PM
Glowgeek

Crickets chirping.

Ok, seeing as nothing is going on here I have some entertainment for you.

Remember the "low time" YS 91AC I was working to rejuvenate? Well, now I found out I need a piston. Not that there's anything wrong with the one that was in the engine but it's not gas ported. Apparently none of the earlier (pre 110 FZ) had gas ported pistons and many many people had problems keeping their older 4 stroke YS engines running right without them. The ring would eventually stop sealing correctly/consistently which created varying crankcase pressure which in turn caused varying fuel pressure. That drove people crazy (Hobbsy included) and the fix is simple, gas port the piston.

Anyway, I either have to gas port my piston or buy a newer stock piston and I haven't even started the thing yet!

So, my whole purpose for buying a YS was to try something new and to prove them out as reliable or not. We'll see, but for now I am confident that EVERY one of my Saitos will run flawlessly with a flip of the prop and I didn't have to mortgage my house to get them that way.

If no one else, Dave should enjoy this post.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:42 PM
the Wasp

Crickets chirping.

Ok, seeing as nothing is going on here I have some entertainment for you.

Remember the "low time" YS 91AC I was working to rejuvenate? Well, now I found out I need a piston. Not that there's anything wrong with the one that was in the engine but it's not gas ported. Apparently none of the earlier (pre 110 FZ) had gas ported pistons and many many people had problems keeping their older 4 stroke YS engines running right without them. The ring would eventually stop sealing correctly/consistently which created varying crankcase pressure which in turn caused varying fuel pressure. That drove people crazy (Hobbsy included) and the fix is simple, gas port the piston.

Anyway, I either have to gas port my piston or buy a newer stock piston and I haven't even started the thing yet!

So, my whole purpose for buying a YS was to try something new and to prove them out as reliable or not. We'll see, but for now I am confident that EVERY one of my Saitos will run flawlessly with a flip of the prop and I didn't have to mortgage my house to get them that way.

If no one else, Dave should enjoy this post.
LOL I don't think you will change Dave's mind. he rather have an old sock with a hole in it than to have a blown YS engine LOL

but I for one am entertained !!

Jim
Old 06-28-2020, 05:57 PM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim
he's not the only one.
lol
Old 06-28-2020, 05:59 PM
the Wasp

Jim
Old 06-28-2020, 06:27 PM
Glowgeek

Old 06-28-2020, 07:42 PM
FlyerInOKC

Very entertaining!
Old 06-29-2020, 03:56 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I had four FZ's and all were gas ported, they just weren't reliable. I used 20/20 fuel, OS-f or YS plugs nothing worked for very long, then they would go rich and flood the carb with fuel when you'd land.

Lonnie, make sure you get the ring with the beveled back edge.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 06-29-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:53 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I had four FZ's and all were gas ported, they just weren't reliable. I used 20/20 fuel, OS-f or YS plugs nothing worked for very long, then they would go rich and flood the carb with fuel when you'd land.

Dave, I don't know if the YS 4st used the same pump system as their 2st did/does, but my friend had to vent his fuel tank after every landing to keep his carb from flooding on this YS 80 equipped Heli

Jim
Old 06-29-2020, 05:54 PM
Glowgeek

Very low time engine so nothing wrong with the ring. I beveled the top rear edge myself. Ordered a PCB endmill to machine the gas ports. I have a machinist friend with a knee mill and rotory table equipped with a four jaw chuck. I'll make short work of gas porting the piston. A little luck and I'll have it running in a week or so.

Strange that you had so many problems with your YS engines. Makes me wonder what was going on.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:25 PM
FlyerInOKC

Very low time engine so nothing wrong with the ring. I beveled the top rear edge myself. Ordered a PCB endmill to machine the gas ports. I have a machinist friend with a knee mill and rotory table equipped with a four jaw chuck. I'll make short work of gas porting the piston. A little luck and I'll have it running in a week or so.

Strange that you had so many problems with your YS engines. Makes me wonder what was going on.
I think YS engines hate Hobbsy and are out to get him!
Old 06-30-2020, 02:57 AM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Dave, I don't know if the YS 4st used the same pump system as their 2st did/does, but my friend had to vent his fuel tank after every landing to keep his carb from flooding on this YS 80 equipped Heli

Jim
The 2-s use regular two stroke crankcase trapped by a check valve to pressurize the thank, the four strokes use a rotary valve to trap approximately two intake strokes worth of fuel and air in the crankcase and plenum system. Some have a plenum box and others have a fat intake tube and most use the rocker cover for additional storage until the intake valve opens. The pressurized tank requires a regulator which is the weak point in the system.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 06-30-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 AM
Hobbsy

Strange that you had so many problems with your YS engines. Makes me wonder what was going on. (QUOTE)

A few months ago I suggested that Gary go and read the YS Engine Mfr. Support Forum here and he cleared that up by referring to them as a bunch of Losers. I loved it, he and I will never agree where YS engines are concerned. I'm glad we agree on Saitos. I am 100% Saito now save for one OS 120 with a pump.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:12 AM
Glowgeek

The 2-s use regular two stroke crankcase trapped by a check valve to pressurize the thank, the four strokes use a rotary valve to trap approximately two intake strokes worth of fuel and air in the crankcase and plenum system. Some have a plenum box and others have a fat intake pump and most use the rocker cover for additional storage until the intake valve opens. The pressurized tank requires a regulator which is the weak point in the system.
Yes, but the regulator itself is not the problem per se, it is a fairly robust design. The problem lies in how the regulator is driven ie by virtue of piston ring seal as well as the necessity of a leak free case and ultra clean fuel system.

Strange that you had so many problems with your YS engines. Makes me wonder what was going on. (QUOTE)

A few months ago I suggested that Gary go and read the YS Engine Mfr. Support Forum here and he cleared that up by referring to them as a bunch of Losers. I loved it, he and I will never agree where YS engines are concerned. I'm glad we agree on Saitos. I am 100% Saito now save for one OS 120 with a pump.
Yep, sounds like Gary alright!

While reading through hundreds of posts on that support forum I kept in mind that folks posted there for help with YS engines that no longer ran great. Definitely not a "praise forum".

I'm not defending Gary here but geeeze Dave, if you look at those problem posts and the fixes for them like 95% of them were caused by either running castor, trash in the fuel system, bad fuel tubing, air leaks from loose screws, bad bearings etc. All things pointing to poor maintainance. Then there's that regulator adjustment that so many are scared to death to touch.

​​​​​​Losers? No, I don't think so, just folks who could exercise a little more care in maintenance and who could use more knowledge in exactly how a YS engine functions.

"Saitos, the simple engines"

EDITED to insert the word "either" before "running castor"

Last edited by Glowgeek; 06-30-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:12 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I did get the 63 to run good, now that it is mounted in the plane, I have yet to start it. I FINALLY got the yellow dope to finish the top wing, so will do that first, then bench run it. I still need a few more flights to get my wings back, and then I will maiden the Liberty Sport. Been flying my LT-40. The old girl needs work, looking a bit shabby, the film has lost it's tension and can no longer tighten. The FG-11 though runs so good. It is almost to the point where it will start on a flip, almost. I still use the starter though. The 72 is nice and smooth now, no more bearing screech.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like the 72 will be a keeper!
Old 06-30-2020, 01:19 PM
Hobbsy

Now Lonnie, who's stretching the blanket, very few of those guys were dumb enough to run castor. I Moderate that Forum so I know. I have to watch it closely for bad advice/outright lies and there is a lot of it.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:36 PM
Hobbsy

My brother's Cobra, 15 years building, it's gorgeous, the painter finished the inside of the trunk and hood as beautifully as the outside. He made the walnut dash himself and every instrument works. I just did some tedious work on my lathe. I have a Saito 50 GK the had no c

arb barrel locating/idle stop screw, I modified a 2.5 mm alloy screw. I ruined two before success happened. This one is a hair tight but moves with precision.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:17 PM
FlyerInOKC

And the Cobra runs on a Saito?!
Old 06-30-2020, 02:17 PM
Glowgeek

Now Lonnie, who's stretching the blanket, very few of those guys were dumb enough to run castor. I Moderate that Forum so I know. I have to watch it closely for bad advice/outright lies and there is a lot of it.
Yes, a few were running castor, that's why I included castor in my comment. I see now how that comment could be misleading without the word "either". I will go back and edit my post for future readers.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:01 PM
the Wasp

Dave, were you thinking good Saito thoughts? you tell us your brother took 15 years to built a cool, dream-to-have Cobra. but you didn't tell us about it's engine. that could give a guy brain stress for wondering too long .

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 06-30-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:41 PM
the Wasp

it's story time boys.

I was working on the kitchen floor today. heard a knock at the door. go out to see who it was. it was a rather nicely dressed man. told the wife before I opened the door that it must be a solicitor.. so I open the door and the guy asked if we could talk, I said sure. I was thinking to myself that "I was going to shut this guy down good for wanting to sell me something I don't want". at that thought, I looked down and saw a holstered gun and a badge. it was a city police detective. well, in short the house next to me is empty. and the detective told me that some one went into the house and stole the oven and other things.
well guess what. I did see that theft as it happened !! and I told the detective I saw it. you see, the people that lived there moved out just before it started to snow this last winter. and some one went into the house some 5 weeks later. a red pick up backed up to the front door and the 2 guys removed the oven and other things. I told the detective that I didn't think much of it at the time. and that the only thing I can say is that the pick up truck was red.

well we talked for about 6, 8 minutes. as the detective started to walk a way he stopped and asked if he could ask me one more thing. he asked me if I lied to him. I told him no. so he ask if everything I said was the truth and I said yes, and then he asked me if I understood I can be arrested for lying to the police. I said yes, and so he asked again, if everything was the truth and again I said yes. and he walked away..

boy ol boy I sure hope I don't have to go to court to testify about the red truck !!!!

so guys, how was your day ? did you have a good day ? was it exciting ?

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 06-30-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:38 AM
Hobbsy

Yes, a few were running castor, that's why I included castor in my comment. I see now how that comment could be misleading without the word "either". I will go back and edit my post for future readers.
No worries Lonnie, I pretty much leave the YS thing alone, unless it's drawn to my attention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.