Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 02:06 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Yikes, good luck on that. Sounds like a poltergeist has been busy.

I did a whole house remodel for an insurance company some years back. The house had caught fire from the inside. No signs of forced entry except a window in the laundry room that was too small for a grown man to get through. During that work the owner was after me to fix all kinds of unrelated stuff and charge it to ins co. No way I'm doing that and I'm pretty sure he set the fire. 52K worth of fire damage and the house sold for 42K last fall.

Moral of the story. If your gonna light it up do it right.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 02-16-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:36 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Oh I didn't mention the best part. New 200 AMP panel installed, old panel removed. All wiring nice and neat. Water softener drain line, the one that carries the salt water to the sump pit, sprung a tiny leak and sprayed a fine mist of salt all over the panel. Undetectable, until of course went down to flip off the main when the power went out and had the friggin cover fall off. Best part, no longer available, cannot get a replacement. Now if a fire were to "start", best place for it. No, I have NO plans to commit insurance fraud, just rants of an old man who hates his house.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:50 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just writing a post on here and the power went out. It is 17 degrees here in central Texas. Tonight will go into the single digits. The cold here has put such a strain on the power grid we are now having rolling power blackouts. It would sure be nice if they would give a 20 minute warning that the power is going to be cut off. One of my power blackouts lasted 30 hours. I'm glad I have a big generator and keep a supply of gas here for my tractor. You can't buy a generator in a store around here right now because they are all sold out. A lot of the gas stations are closed because of the blackouts. The strange thing is 10 days ago I was out mowing the high spots in the grass around my house wearing a t-shirt. This Saturday it will be 65 degrees and is looking like a good day to go flying.

A plumber could make a lot of money around here fixing frozen busted water pipes.

Pedro
Old 02-17-2021, 04:42 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by modeltronics
I was just writing a post on here and the power went out. It is 17 degrees here in central Texas. Tonight will go into the single digits. The cold here has put such a strain on the power grid we are now having rolling power blackouts. It would sure be nice if they would give a 20 minute warning that the power is going to be cut off. One of my power blackouts lasted 30 hours. I'm glad I have a big generator and keep a supply of gas here for my tractor. You can't buy a generator in a store around here right now because they are all sold out. A lot of the gas stations are closed because of the blackouts. The strange thing is 10 days ago I was out mowing the high spots in the grass around my house wearing a t-shirt. This Saturday it will be 65 degrees and is looking like a good day to go flying.

A plumber could make a lot of money around here fixing frozen busted water pipes.

Pedro
Yeah PeteI was always amazed when traveling in the south at how many folks have water containing appliances and devices operating outside under awnings and sometimes not covered at all.
This has always struck fear in this midwestern head lol.
Now of course , highly appropriate for running in Saitos.
It's so messy in the basement....
(I am just kidding)
Old 02-17-2021, 05:24 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Yesterday evening we had our water pressure drop. According to the news the city has got problems and about half to two thirds are having low pressure due to water main breaks. We are still getting more snow so the city crews are having problems getting out to repair the lines. They have a major break in a supply line from one of the major reservoirs. Like Texas when the thaw hits Saturday the plumbers are going to be busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. I hope the supply houses are well stocked up on PEX.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:09 AM
modeltronics

Mike
My water pressure is ok but I see on the news that in Abilene TX, 2 of the 3 water pumping stations are down. They have very low water pressure. They are asking people not to leave faucets running and to use as little as possible. Also they are saying currently you can not drink the water.

Aaron
I was kidding my wife asking if it would be ok to run one of my engines inside my shop. I do have a Saito 72 that I want to run.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:22 AM
Glowgeek

I run engines in my shop when it's too cold or rainy outside but I have two overhead doors and a diesel torpedo heater to blown warm air through. If it weren't for that I'd go crazy around here. Been shut in for 14 days (except for 1 day) with freezing rain, 3/4" solid black ice and now 12" of snow. Snow drifts are upwards of 24". Of course my diesel tractor won't start because it's been near zero all week. I might get it started today to plow my steep 1/8 mile long lane. Trapped like a rat!
Old 02-17-2021, 08:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Brilliant! So don't leave the water dripping and freeze your pipes to conserve water you can't drink any way.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:51 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
yeah, something like that. I completely remodeled the kitchen 2003. New everything. Then had the gutters fail at the corner where the room addition that was previously built before we moved in, meets the kitchen. Little did I know that water entered that area, ran down the wall, and destroyed the cabinets from the inside as well as the subfloor. To fix it requires a complete tear out of everything because the cabinets are no longer made, the company went bankrupt when Home Depot pulled the contract. Since I can no longer match the cabinet, the oven wall and island have to be ripped out too. I have granite tile countertops that would be destroyed in the process as well as the tiled backsplash.

Thats just one of the many things that has happened due to water leaking. I fixed the roof leaks and gutter back flows, but the damage inside is done. With the constant sump pump failures, and high humidity at times, the hardwood floor I installed through 80% of the house is now edge blackened as if the ends were stuck in a bucket of water. I never got the one bathroom back together, it requires ripping out all the plumbing, and to do that I have to also rip the plumbing out of the bathroom behind that. I just don't have it in me anymore to get it done in one weekend.

I hate this place and would gladly pack all my workshop stuff, my planes, and level the place. I am waiting on my horses to pass, then will do a quick remodel of everything and sell it. Let the underlying problems I can't fix be some one elses issues. Handymans special, all yours.
I can loan you some acetylene bottles
Old 02-17-2021, 02:08 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hang in there Gary . . . . LOL

T-man49
Old 02-17-2021, 04:18 PM
Jesse Open

You bet!

Good to hear from you
Old 02-18-2021, 12:12 AM
Monty Python

If it got that cold over here i could save heaps on power by turning off my massive beer fridge in the workshop...there's always worse things can happen so smile dangit!
Old 02-18-2021, 12:36 AM
Monty Python

Mike do you have a rough date for the pinky saito to fly or are you waiting for things to warm up? it doesn't get very cold here only down to -3 to -5c inland but since i've always lived on the coast a cold day here is pretty mild and we've never sold a snowplough to anyone in this state, ever. So i reckon i'm a huge wimp when it comes to tuning saito engines in the winter because the prop wash while turning the needle freezes the be jeezus out of the digits, takes a while and some patience to get it right and there's always a flying tune adjustment after that most times.

Just got netflix at home so will see if i can get this movie
Old 02-18-2021, 04:33 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by modeltronics
Mike
My water pressure is ok but I see on the news that in Abilene TX, 2 of the 3 water pumping stations are down. They have very low water pressure. They are asking people not to leave faucets running and to use as little as possible. Also they are saying currently you can not drink the water.

Aaron
I was kidding my wife asking if it would be ok to run one of my engines inside my shop. I do have a Saito 72 that I want to run.
I ran one in the garage without an exhaust vacuum. Once. For less than one minute lol.
The weather, whew. Sorry so many are experiencing so much hardship. Like a hard rain after a long term flood. The nation is hurting.
Prayer is happening from sea to shining sea, just like always. Even harder on those who don't share faith.
We will all learn from all of this. Something obvious to many.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:26 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I stepped outside this AM and the world is a solid sheet of ice. I had entertained the idea of running my 125-a which is et up with CH Ignition, another idea beat that one all to heck. Read a book and keep warm.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Pete, this option is known as the Costa Nostra plan! It is usually arranged by a close friend you don't suspect after receiving a kiss on the mouth by a high ranking official.

I'm glad the Aussie are more civilized than the English and chill there beer!
Originally Posted by Monty Python
If it got that cold over here i could save heaps on power by turning off my massive beer fridge in the workshop...there's always worse things can happen so smile dangit!
I'm planning on waiting for warmer weather the old lungs don't like the sudden shock of frigid air and I would like to take my grandson in Kansas with me.

Originally Posted by Monty Python
Mike do you have a rough date for the pinky saito to fly or are you waiting for things to warm up? it doesn't get very cold here only down to -3 to -5c inland but since i've always lived on the coast a cold day here is pretty mild and we've never sold a snowplough to anyone in this state, ever. So i reckon i'm a huge wimp when it comes to tuning saito engines in the winter because the prop wash while turning the needle freezes the be jeezus out of the digits, takes a while and some patience to get it right and there's always a flying tune adjustment after that most times.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

I got lucky the water line for the refrigerator defrosted yesterday! I noticed the sun beating down on the roof was causing some thawing in spite of the temperature from the small drips I saw taking out the trash. We still have a couple more single digit lows but we are suppose to get back above freezing Saturday and reach 60 F next week!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:55 AM
modeltronics

The news on the TV just said it will be 70 degrees by next Wednesday. It's 15 out right now. I just changed the upright propane tank I use to heat my shop. I think the biggest problem is people here in Texas were not prepared for something like this to happen. I lived up north long enough to learn. I ran the house on a generator during power outages. I had a good supply of upright propane tanks to keep my shop warm. I have had to lend out several of those tanks for people to use for heat. The shower and bathroom in my shop have been a popular spot for some of my rural neighbors without water.

I'm just looking forward to running my 72 next week that I'm going to use to power the next plane I'm building.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Your rural neighbors are lucky to have you! I have lucked out so far I only had to use my generator once during the past week. Every time I have to crank it up it only reinforces our decision to get a generator.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:46 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Your rural neighbors are lucky to have you! I have lucked out so far I only had to use my generator once during the past week. Every time I have to crank it up it only reinforces our decision to get a generator.
Would that more of us practiced that old "love thy neighbor" thing. If the rural and urban ever came together and practiced that together...
Maybe we wouldn't be seeing all this human tragedy.
Good on you Pete!
Both of ya...
One provided a shower.
One provided a laugh.
The world needs both.💪
Old 02-18-2021, 10:06 AM
Jesse Open

We have a 96 year old couple living just around the corner. I have been shoveling their drive after every snow for the last 10 years. Two weeks ago their back door going into the garage fell off. I spent the day re-hanging it. Now, yesterday I got a call that their furnace quit. Took over kerosene heater to get them warm while I went out and found a new hot surface ignitor to get the furnace up and running.

The fellow is a WWII D-Day Veteran and had been a good friend of my Father-in-law, also a 10th Mtn Div WWII Vet. Well worth paying forward.

These guys carried their weight.

BYW, The days of an abundant, reliable supply of reasonably priced natural gas may well come to an abrupt close. Keep that in mind when considering that back up generator.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 02-18-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

I made one unfortunate discovery after I replaced my HVAC system. If you have a gas furnace with a heat pump if you plug in the heater only to your portable generator it will kick in the blower fan but the gas burner doesn't kick in because the heat pump is dead. I wonder if updating the thermostat would help? I'm using he same thermostat I had installed when the first gas furnace/heat pump combo was installed in 1994.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Glowgeek

Mike, I'm afraid you're going to find that a new thermostat won't change anything. The system control boards are located in the air handler, condensor unit and furnace.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:09 PM
FlyerInOKC

I had hoped I could get it to work by switching to emergency heat but that didn't work. Supposedly the heat is the same whether it is coupled with an a/c unit or a heat pump.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:33 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I believe the entire system needs to be powered on for it to work, just powering one portion may not allow it to function. I sized the generator to be able to power both furnaces in the winter, but only one AC in summer. Does a pretty good job but noisy, can run 12 hours or more under full load per tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.