Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 02:43 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

My choice would be an F 150 XLT with Eco Boost engine and 10 speed tranny, 3.55 rear gears and tow package.

Original .62 replaced with .62-b.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:58 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I was able to get past the sound and really enjoyed watching that fine airplane fly! Looked so good I packed up and made a trip to the field.
I picked up a Saito 56 last week that looked great but sounded horrible.One of the very worst I have ever heard. It didn't feel at all rough when turned over by hand but when started, I immediately shut it down. When I pressed the crank out, one side of the ball retainer and the inner race came with it. I had thought the front bearing was the culprit but it turned out to be fine. The rear was the SNAFU.

Geez, I would HOPE a truck could last 19 years, even a Toyota. I've used motorcycles that were over twice that age as daily drivers as well as long distance tourers.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-20-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:07 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Jim,dave is right that is an awful sound track wondering what sound made you think the bearings in the fa30 were bad.When i've heard that sound it's hard to describe but you know it from past experience.Kinda like a slightly harsh shuffling sound as it goes past.The reason i said he's running it two clicks lean is because when he dives it and the prop unloads the engine bogs down,not enough fuel.
Pete, so you say it's too lean, I can believe that LOL

Dave, that's a very pretty 4-Star !!

Jim
I have been lean and I have been rich, but I have always driven straight http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-20-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:33 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the harley in the background.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:59 AM
Hobbsy

Cessna 140 full scale
Now Pete, didn't your Mama teach you to never lie, I'm going to take all new pictures without the MC in the background.

I have one of the new Graupner S2 15 x 8 props mounted on the CHI equipped 125, I need a new plane for it that does not have the firewall worn out from switching engines. This guy is a likely prospect. Cessna 140 1/4 scale I guess I'm an ambitious booger.
I am going to be out of town for about a week, my Dad's next to last sister passed at 95 years of age. Her daughter and son in law have lived in New South Wales for 50+ years, they went there from Ohio as exchange students and stayed.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-21-2018 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 08-21-2018, 03:30 AM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Pete, so you say it's too lean, I can believe that LOL

Dave, that's a very pretty 4-Star !!

Jim
I have been lean and I have been rich, but I have always driven straight http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif
Thanks Jim, that plane is super smooth and flies like it's on rails.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:16 AM
Jesse Open

Is that the kit version?
Old 08-21-2018, 07:09 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy

Cessna 140 full scale
Now Pete, didn't your Mama teach you to never lie, I'm going to take all new pictures without the MC in the background.

I have one of the new Graupner S2 15 x 8 props mounted on the CHI equipped 125, I need a new plane for it that does not have the firewall worn out from switching engines. This guy is a likely prospect. Cessna 140 1/4 scale I guess I'm an ambitious booger.
I am going to be out of town for about a week, my Dad's next to last sister passed at 95 years of age. Her daughter and son in law have lived in New South Wales for 50+ years, they went there from Ohio as exchange students and stayed.
I flew one of those, once, over Lake Geneva, on a cool fall day. ONCE!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:41 AM
the Wasp

well I tell you one thing, he's got enough props for all of us heehee heee

that's a very cool photo Dave !!

Jim
there are many who don't know their props are on backwards

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-21-2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I tell you again what I said "that's a very cool photo Dave !!: yee-up, that is what I said
Old 08-21-2018, 04:55 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
I was able to get past the sound and really enjoyed watching that fine airplane fly! Looked so good I packed up and made a trip to the field.
I picked up a Saito 56 last week that looked great but sounded horrible.......

Geez, I would HOPE a truck could last 19 years, even a Toyota. I've used motorcycles that were over twice that age as daily drivers as well as long distance tourers.

Good thing you trusted your intuitions with that 56. A friend kept saying his Surpass was running hot, but he kept gassing up and going. The rear bearing let go right over my head on takeoff. There was a pretty good bang, and then silence. We found where the crankshft hit the bottom of the case and knocked out a huge hole. The piece was trapped in the cowl.

That 93 Toyota truck was a good one. The size was a bit bigger than the S-10 and it was a 4x4 so it looked taller. It was a billy goat when it came to climbing hills. It was great on the road but at it's best in mud or anything off road. Toyota went though a long period of ho hum trucks, imo. My 2012 is probably my favorite year. It's still more new than my 93 was back in 93! I got the V6 and 6 speed manual transmission. When I got my free service at the Toyota dealer a mechanic said he didn't know they made stick shifts.

Last edited by blw; 08-21-2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Jesse Open

Those Four Stars are just flat great looking planes. The 60 with clipped wing is an interesting flier.

The 120 version has been very tempting. May be a good idea to grab a kit while they are still available.
Yep, a familiar sight .
Old 08-22-2018, 01:47 AM
Rudolph Hart

I'm with you gary,there's a harley davidson in the background relentlessly.Now i know how crop farmers feel when they see a herd of locusts approaching.

Dave a nice shot of the cessna 140 i like the colour too.Most of us would remember the 120 as well.I like the tough as nails 185 cargo planes cessna put huge engines in for good max load short strip performance.Wish you a good trip.

ps bruce,you cut the lid off your new effy yet?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:22 AM
Jesse Open

I'm with you gary,there's a harleydavidson in the background relentlessly.Now i know how crop farmers feel when they see a herd of locusts approaching.

Dave a nice shot of the cessna 140 i like the colour too.Most of us would remember the 120 as well.I like the tough as nails 185 cargo planes cessna put huge engines in for good max load short strip performance.Wish you a good trip.

ps bruce,you cut the lid off your new effy yet?
Naw,,their headlights soon fade into the background, lost in the horizon. Like locust that never quite arrive.

That 140 was a very nice looking plane indeed. I had a friend who owned one, killed in a rented plane crash. His widow was left with the 140. It had a fresh engine and paint along with decent radio gear (for that time, the mid 1980s) It was all apart in her garage, she offered it to me for a very good price. I passed it along to a fellow at work. I did get a ride in it, kicking myself ever since for not buying the thing.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-22-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:19 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I grew up around my dad's friends with older Cessnas like the 140 and 120. That was in the mid 1950's and those guys flew into their farms or their buddys farms for the winter around Atlanta. They would spend Friday nights in a barn rebuilding engines and I wasn't supposed to pester them. It seems like that sort of flying is what Australia is still like for full scale aviation. I was too young to remember Cessna models, but I remember they were the older models.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:29 PM
the Wasp

boy, if I didn't just buy another FA100 I would buy this

Saito FA 91 Golden Knight 4-Stroke - RCU Forums

Jim
ever wake up in the morning and look in the refrigerator and wonder why so many beers are missing
Old 08-23-2018, 01:36 AM
Rudolph Hart

Gary i think you got a point.These so called trucks nowadays look a bit girly don't you think?

Just put a lock on the refrigerator and give the key to the missus jim.I've got my own out in the shed but the little elves empty it every night

Barry short bush strips are normal here away from town.The really bad ones are just north of aussie in papua new guinea (PNG) it's a very steep mountain jungle low cloud and mist no outlanding kind of place.I knew a few west aussie pilots who flew cargo and passengers up there for the big bucks they offered back in the eighties.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:57 AM
Jesse Open

Aeronca Chief 1946-1950
Back in the mid-1950s, my uncle owned and flew an Aeronca 11AC "Chief". No radio, no nav lighting and a little 65 horse engine. Of course, starting was via hand propping.
As a seven year old lad, I was thrilled with every ride and I got many. My uncle flew the plane cross- country in 1958 from Troy MI to San Diego CA. Somewhere along the way he strayed from his flight plan and went missing. We soon found out he landed near a desert gas staiton , got some fuel and his bearings and resumed his flight. The gasoline station had no phone but the attendant promised to inform the police if they came by.
Not often modeled but I have always wanted to build a "Chief" if nothing more than to just re-live those wonderful times a bit.

Dave, I looked a little harder and see the 4 star is indeed an ARF. They sure did a nice job but I think the latest version only comes with the glass cowl. I prefer the version you have as well as the kit version.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:34 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

All this talk of trucks got me curious so I did a little research. Dodge and Chevy will only give you an 8' bed on a standard cab. Ford will give you a 8' bed on a standard or super cab. Toyota will give you an 8' bed on the stretch cab only. Nissan couldn't find an 8' bed at all. You need an 8 foot bed for a work truck and that is what a pickup is suppose to be. Not an overly gentrified panty waist girly truck like most of them on the road these days.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:27 AM
acdii

Trucks today are now multipurpose vehicles. You can't tow with an SUV, and can't haul a family around in a regular cab truck, so now we have crew cab trucks that can tow. It's the panty waists who can't handle a long truck in a parking lot or have a garage that can park a crew cab long bed that did this. I used to have an F350 crew cab dually with a 8' bed, and parked it in my garage and drove it everywhere and had no problem parking, except in parking garages due to it being wide and tall. It was also a Diesel, but thanks to the green earth tree hugging crowd, and the idiots in the EPA and government, they hamstrung diesel and made them too expensive to operate as a daily driver, essentially killing its reason to own.

I am thoroughly enjoying my new truck, damned thing nearly drives itself now.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:05 AM
Jesse Open

Most of the people I see driving the huge trucks are just hauling their personal 220+ pound mass back and forth to work Being divorced, the wife is stuck hauling the spawn around in her 5 year old, limping Fusion!
At least 90% of them need a course in remedial parking because the always manage to take two or three spots.

The working guys driving standard cabs with 8 foot beds actually get exercise and have a family car to haul the kids.

I managed to get back and forth to work most of the time for the last fifty years on two wheels!

Come on, just having some fun.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:59 AM
the Wasp

I think I am going to start smoking the Weed,, I hear it relaxes you to the point you could not care less,,

so my Worlds Models P-40 came with the most beautiful cowl I have ever seen, I mean it has a painted mouth, it's super nice,,, well it also came with 2 of it's retract mounting holes stripped completely out, that took some 12 hours of fixing try this and trying that, I even had to order/buy new retracts because I had to take my dremel and cut up that 1 retract just to get it out, but in the end I fixed it, actually I fixed it rather nicely I may say, it was strong and the strut was straight and the wheel was centered and it worked smoothly, and then after testing as it sat on the bench I reached up to shut off the TX and I hit the retract switch, the 15 pound rated retract servo was activated and the bell crank mount and rib were destroyed in an instant,,
so now I remove the retract, retract servo and bell crank and linkage ,,, well some how, and I don't know how, but some how that wing got between the cement step on the front porch and my foot, and I stepped on it, so I went to pick it up and I don't know how I did it but I stepped on it again,, so the next day I ordered a new wing, well I had to buy both left and right wing, well I got the new wing,,

the new wing,,
sO, like the original wing this new wing's root rib was concaved, both vertically and horizontally, so i took 2 or 3 hours to work on that, and like the original wing here too I took 2 hours to reinforce the retract servo's mount, then I took 2 hours more shaping a block of bass wood to mount under the bell crank's mount to strengthen the bell crank's mount, then I mounted the bell crank, it works fine, fine as a good cheese,, it's all good>>> up to then anyway,,,

so I set the retract in place and what did I find ?,, well go back,, remember>> the 2 stripped retract holes in the original wing ?, well in this new wing I found 2 of the mounting holes for the retract are off center with the holes in the retracts, 1 of those holes are off about 4mm,, wow, so now I am right back to where I started 1&1/2 years ago,

now I did not tell you every little thing and every problem I had with the original wing,,, but you know, I do not want to work on this plane any more !!

Jim
so like I always say, if it's not 1/8th of something, it's 5/16ths of something else

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-23-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:25 AM
acdii

Could be worse. You could have a 53 pound plane that flies like a brick when the engine quits, and have the engine quit because one of the cells in the NiMh pack go bad, and then have it come down a 1/2 mile away in a corn field. POOF $2500 just like that.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:11 PM
Jesse Open

Ouch! I hope that wsn't you.
I can see that happening to Jim after a joint or two

NiMh can be a little bundle of surprises.

Jim, looks like I just found another clean, low time FA-100 for $100! Don't know why, but they keep coming around. Look for a 1.15 and I got a 1.00 and a 1.25 instead.

Oh, that wing story had me in tears
I wont tell you why.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-23-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:30 PM
the Wasp

now don't you guys start that stuff, you will make me cry LOL

Jim
Old 08-23-2018, 05:39 PM
the Wasp

Gary, I'm getting the next 115 that's up for sale heeheee hee

did you see the NIB YS 110 for $250, I hear they are fast

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.