Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Slats!
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

FInally got the Saito 91 running great, love it and think I need to get one for my extra 300 40 size. Is there a big power difference from the 91 to 82, thinking of stuffing the 91 in the extra but the 82 looks a little lighter and a little smaller, is it just a little bit of power diff between the two or very noticable.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:36 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, welder1

you are #618
Old 12-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Michaelh
My Feedback: (4)

Ok I have to rant here for a minute so please bare with me. I know we already discussed the price jumps a little but HOLY &%$#.
I guess Ill either be going back to electric with my bigger stuff or have to learn how to tune a YS. I love my Saito's but I just can not justify it anymore
Even with the big discount I was getting its still going to come out more then a YS.
I really am glad I picked up the couple of .82's when I did.
Bad move on Horizon and/or Saito's part. IMO

What do you guys think?
Mike
Old 12-06-2008, 09:22 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

I don't think their pricing structure is sustainable in the current economy. I'll either wait or watch the used market for bargains.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suppose people have been trying to break the door down at Tower and Horizon to buy the engines at the new prices?

The talk about someones NIB engine has certainly dropped off here on RCU
Old 12-06-2008, 10:58 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new OS FS110 4-stroke is listed at 299 in the review in FLYRC. But Tower wants 399 for them. The rest of the world is experiencing deflation and R/C engine companies are trying to buck it.
Maybe demand is enough to justify it. But I doubt it. Can anyone get the sale's numbers after the price increase from Horizon? Brother-in-law works there or whatnot?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:25 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Michaelh

Ok I have to rant here for a minute so please bare with me. I know we already discussed the price jumps a little but HOLY &%$#.
I guess Ill either be going back to electric with my bigger stuff or have to learn how to tune a YS. I love my Saito's but I just can not justify it anymore
Even with the big discount I was getting its still going to come out more then a YS.

What do you guys think?
Mike

-

No model engine manufacturer controls the value of the currency.

I would just wait a while to buy, or buy less for a while, but buy something to keep you active in the hobby. I suspect that prices will be dropping again at a not far off future date.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Rudolph Hart

I suspect that you will be proved right ed.What about us desperates getting back into the hobby and have to have them.I'm buying myself an fa180 or 220 for chrissy and would like to know what people think about popping one in a 72/4" extra/edge??
Old 12-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Capt Lou

Slats:

The Saito 91 is really made for a .60 size airplane. If you put that in a .40 size plane, you are really over-powering it plus weight will probably be an issue. You probably need between a Saito .56 to .72 for a .40 airframe and I would compare the various wieghts of these engines using the .56 Saito as your base case.

Capt Lou
Old 12-07-2008, 10:40 AM
rwj146
My Feedback: (7)

Is Club Saito still accepting new members? I just bought a Saito 270 here on RCU to install in a Beech Musketeer. The seller did not have the manual and I have looked several hours trying to find one with no luck. I have read this forum and find it extremely helpful. I must admit the debate over the type(s) of fuel to use is a bit confusing, seems everyone has an opinion. Perhaps someone could give me an idea of what prop to use on this engine. I am back in this hobby after an extended time away and find myself re-learning most everything. I am considering a three bladed prop and would appreciate any guidance.. Thanks ...Bob
Old 12-07-2008, 12:10 PM
rlmcnii

quote:

What do you guys think?
Mike

-

I would just wait a while to buy, or buy less for a while, but buy something to keep you active in the hobby. I suspect that prices will be dropping again at a not far off future date.

Ed Cregger

"Flying models since the Fifties"

Saito Club Member #52

(in reply to Michaelh)
June 1, 2007: One US Dollar = 122 Japanese Yen
Dec. 5, 2008: One US Dollar = 92 Japanese Yen

This is a 25.6% decrease of one currency vs another. By what percentage did Horizon/Saito increase prices? A bit more than 25.6. However, they must take into account the monetary policies of the respective nations and the impact of those policies on the future worth of the respective currencies. Imagine how upset we would all be if Horizon/Saito raised prices every two or three months.

Short term, GaGeeBees could well be correct. When people make a list of things without which they can do, model airplane engines may be near the top. If so, the prices may not hold.

Longer term, where is the bottom to the trend illustrated by the above numbers? And, what will the effect of that trend be on (in this case) the price of Saitos??

Grab something, cover something, and hold on; this train may just be leaving the station.

PS to Moderator: I hope this post is not political. It mentions no person by name and cites only readily verifiable fact.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:28 PM
blw

ORIGINAL: rlmcnii

PS to Moderator: I hope this post is not political. It mentions no person by name and cites only readily verifiable fact.
Looks like good financials statements to me.

rwj146- you are member #619
Old 12-07-2008, 02:13 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: rwj146

Is Club Saito still accepting new members? I just bought a Saito 270 here on RCU to install in a Beech Musketeer. The seller did not have the manual and I have looked several hours trying to find one with no luck. I have read this forum and find it extremely helpful. I must admit the debate over the type(s) of fuel to use is a bit confusing, seems everyone has an opinion. Perhaps someone could give me an idea of what prop to use on this engine. I am back in this hobby after an extended time away and find myself re-learning most everything. I am considering a three bladed prop and would appreciate any guidance.. Thanks ...Bob
The 270 is a wonderful engine. I've got four of 'em Prop recommended is 20 x 8.

Per the manual under fuel: "Use castor oil system with nitromethane approx 5 ~ 10% for glow engine use. Do not use 100% synthetic system fuel. When using synthetic system fuel, use 30% castor oil system and 70% synthetic system fuel, and high quality fuel."

My scanner doesn't seem to be working at the moment but if you'll PM me your email address I'll have the manual scanned at work and email it to you in PDF format tomorrow.

You'll like this engine.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

Could some one tell me where I might find a rocker adjustment screw for a FA 30 open rocker engine (1982) ?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
balsaeater

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

What do you guys think?
Mike

-

Ed Cregger

The model engines makers are not going to get bail outs like the big car companies .If the volumes fall a lot then after some few fire sales and a few makers go belly up then the chances the prices will go up a lot are much higher than prices dropping.

If the USA dollar keeps falling then the effect will be worse for the USA.If the China money goes up a lot compared to all currencies then prices will go up for USA and Europe and any parts of the world

If Tower who are the often the cheapest cant knock prices down and even hiking up at ~50% then for modelers it is probably not good for price drops anytime soon .

I have deffered getting a Saito 220 for a few months as work and overtime is really not good and getting worse every day . I have no plans to do any YS but who knows anything can happen .Generally big ticket Items are on the back boiler until mid 2009 and then I can look the economic fall out and see which way to jump. I suspect lots of others in the planet are in similar boats downsizing the car house apartment holidays wives even

Balsaeater

Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
jrod1019

hey guys i got some question on a saito .82. im trying to help a friend with a kyosho spitfire 50 find the right prop for his plane. can someone tell me the static r.p.m. i should prop for? we ran apc 13x7 and got 10,020. what r.p.m. do u guys like to see to get started? also how many turns out roughly should i start out at? thanks for any help!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
w8ye

The prop you are using is about right.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 PM
silver.kiwi

Gentlemen,
Does anyone out there in Club Saito Land have a suggestion for removing the prop drive/thrust washer from a FA-150? I purchased one here at RCU that the previous owner had used pliers to hold the crankshaft from rotating so he could remove a stuck prop. The result, as you all know, was a badly buggered drive washer. I purchased a new one to replace the damaged one but I'm having a very hard time removing the old one. I only have a gear puller with two gripping fingers and it wants to tilt (not draw back straight) as pressure is applied and I'm afraid this could cause the crankshaft to bend if enough torque is used on the puller jack screw. Believe me, I have applied what should have been enough pressure to break the washer free but each time the puller begins to kant to the side without budging the washer. I used heat from my heat gun with no help either. Suggestions please.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 PM
w8ye

This is what I use

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93980

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7343

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=8832

Get some pressure and heat on the the collar just before your puller goes off center and tap the top of the screw with a hammer
Old 12-08-2008, 02:20 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

You might need to heat it up just a bit more too...I use a propane torch. You don't need a big flame though, about 1-2" long and heat the prop driver until your spit slicked finger sizzles when you touch it.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 AM
Rudolph Hart

Top description proptop
Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

SK, where I live the Potomac is supposedly 7 miles across, all forms of pliars should be at least halfway across and at the bottom of that river or at least kept in a locked room away from engines.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 AM
pilotpete2

Thank you,
Links bookmarked
Pete
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
w8ye

That's the big thing about swap meet engines are the plier marks on the prop drive washer and the drilled out mounting holes
Old 12-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

And rusted bearings and piston rings from them being run on all synthetic fuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.