Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: sodbuster 1

Hey GaGeeBees,
what I would give to be able to............
just no way that can happen. I'd never get away with it. WRAM show last weekend, Lebanon in 2 weeks and then driving 4 or 5 states away to bring back MORE airplane stuff??

I had to buy the wife a trainer to try and make it palatable for her to put up with me working in the hangar every nite after the 5 minutes we spend together while I wolf down dinner and dissapearing every weekend when the weather co-operates.....thank God the son-in law wrecked it . That was close........

I can't keep getting away with this.And you buddy, aren't helping lol

You're like a drug dealer putting a little taste in front of an addict!!!
That's the funniest post i've read in a while sod.I keep fantasizing that i'll divorce the handbrake so i can run my engines inside the house and do a bit of dusting while i'm at it..
Old 02-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hey mike how did the lanzo and tigermoth go the other day?

Just fitted a glow2 to the 82 in the decaff.It runs well inverted with the glo stick attached and i can't wait for a cline regulater so caved in and fitted the glow driver.It climbs vertically with that engine so i might try a hover tomorrow if it is running well and i get good transition who knows?? might come back with a box of red and white leftovers which will be a good excuse to build the spare kit ciao for now
Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 AM
sodbuster 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the funniest post i've read in a while sod.I keep fantasizing that i'll divorce the handbrake so i can run my engines inside the house and do a bit of dusting while i'm at it..
I hear ya OF.
I can remember back when I used to park my '59 Hydroglide in the living room.......
built planes on the bed while watching tv at night...........things I WANTED to watch
cleaned guns at the kitchen table while eating dinner.........

those were the days......know what the best part is? I love hearing "What would you have done if you hadn't met me?"

Actually I'm contemplating starting to do the last one again......

Moderator corrected formatting
Old 02-28-2009, 06:07 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fellas, i am wondering if you can help me. I have a Saito 82 that I have installed on a new Black Horse T-28. One of my last steps is to mount the cowl. I had intended to just cut it to let the stock muffler hang out. It looks like if I just had a straight, short length of threaded pipe to attach the muffler to the engine, it would be totally enclosed in the cowl. The stock pipe is slightly curved and too long. I think about 1" of straight pipe, fully threaded would be just right, and would have space for the two lock nuts. Is there such a straight pipe available and from where? Thanks. Jon
Old 02-28-2009, 06:33 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

Fellas, i am wondering if you can help me. I have a Saito 82 that I have installed on a new Black Horse T-28. One of my last steps is to mount the cowl. I had intended to just cut it to let the stock muffler hang out. It looks like if I just had a straight, short length of threaded pipe to attach the muffler to the engine, it would be totally enclosed in the cowl. The stock pipe is slightly curved and too long. I think about 1" of straight pipe, fully threaded would be just right, and would have space for the two lock nuts. Is there such a straight pipe available and from where? Thanks. Jon
There's a link to what you seek in the last few pages somewhere...
Old 02-28-2009, 06:40 PM
mike early

might be this one, but i thought there was a shorter one.
I guess it can be cut...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI8075B
Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 PM
maukaonyx

Thanks a lot Mike! That looks good enough. It's good to know it exists! Jon
Old 02-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Jon, here is another option that will fit in your cowl and give you about 250 rpm in the bargain, just go to the MarketPlace and type in turboheader in the search window.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/sea...uesttimeout=60
Old 03-01-2009, 12:46 AM
maukaonyx

Yup, thanks Hobbsy. I have seen that in the ads, and it looks like it would be great, but the price doesn't thrill me. Haven't decided what to do just yet. Jon
Old 03-01-2009, 01:05 AM
mike early

It is expensive. But it rocks. It has no competition on weight or performance. Your friends will envy you.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 AM
mike109

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Just fitted a glow2 to the 82 in the decaff.It runs well inverted with the glo stick attached and i can't wait for a cline regulater so caved in and fitted the glow driver.It climbs vertically with that engine so i might try a hover tomorrow if it is running well and i get good transition who knows?? might come back with a box of red and white leftovers which will be a good excuse to build the spare kit ciao for now

G'day OF - Well the short answer is that they didn't. I was feeling a bit off colour and the weather was not too good so I did not go. Today was not any better. The weather was OK but I packed the truck and left the wings behind. Groan. And then to put the icing on the cake, my fuel pump decided to go into business for its self on the way to the field and sprayed fuel all round the insides of the cab. Luckily the floor is plastic. I had no sooner arrived and discovered my lack of wings when my mate pranged the plane I had repaired for him during the week. It seems a switch in the plane died. At this point, I went home. May try later this week - weather permitting. Murphy can be a real pain. Sometimes, it is better to just stay in bed. There are days which are just not meant for flying.

Mike
Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Rudolph Hart

You can buy a flat 15mm thick 90 degree adapter for about 15 bucks and run your curved exhaust pipe extension and standard muffler out the bottom if you like,works brilliant.Now...if i could just buy a th in aus and half a dozen cline or irombay regulaters here life would be complete...rare as rockinghorse poo
Old 03-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Rudolph Hart

Yes i hear you too sod.Cleaning guns at the end of a good days shoot was a i have to unless it was a favourite long time one.59 hydroglides are an art deco expression to me and much like caddys or lincolns to paint,we used to joke about how you quote them in square mtrs,you could fit a six seater bbq setting and bbq on the bootlid with everyone comfortably seated
Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 AM
Rudolph Hart

Are you feeling ok mike??

My day was similar.All these brand new dang fangled things that are here to make our lives more convenient seem to have a mind of their own sometimes don't you think?

Mate lost two models plus his vehicle in circumstances you describe.There's always tomorrow God willing and that's what i'm doing,you too and good luck mate
Old 03-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Ram Jet

You can buy a flat 15mm thick 90 degree adapter for about 15 bucks and run your curved exhaust pipe extension and standard muffler out the bottom if you like,works brilliant.Now...if i could just buy a th in aus and half a dozen cline or irombay regulaters here life would be complete...rare as rockinghorse poo

Yeah, scarce as hen's teeth.

Bill
Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day OF - Well the short answer is that they didn't. I was feeling a bit off colour and the weather was not too good so I did not go. Today was not any better. The weather was OK but I packed the truck and left the wings behind. Groan. And then to put the icing on the cake, my fuel pump decided to go into business for its self on the way to the field and sprayed fuel all round the insides of the cab. Luckily the floor is plastic. I had no sooner arrived and discovered my lack of wings when my mate pranged the plane I had repaired for him during the week. It seems a switch in the plane died. At this point, I went home. May try later this week - weather permitting. Murphy can be a real pain. Sometimes, it is better to just stay in bed. There are days which are just not meant for flying.

Mike

We have a song here in the land of fruit and nuts. "Mama said there'd be days like this."

Bill
Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 PM
bill3388
My Feedback: (18)

This idea may have been posted before, but I found another way to remove the prop drive plate to replace bearings. After the engine is stripped down to the crankcase/crank/bearings stage, install a Harry Higley type prop nut on the threaded crank. This is finger tightened all the way down on the threads. The assembly is then heated in the oven at 250 degrees. After heating, remove with leather glove and sit on board with a shop rag for cushion. Then while holding the crankcase with the leather glove, hit the prop nut with a hammer. I have done this several times and sometimes it doesn't take a very hard hit with the hammer to break the drive plate loose. Anybody see any problem with this idea?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13897.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1147930  
Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

Bill3388

That's the way I do it and I've never had any problems. Just have to be carefull and not mess up the crank threads or case.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM
bill3388

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that this takes a little finesse. I have used the puller too, but this seems easier. I have only done on mid block engines. I thought this would be a good idea to suggest for people that want to change bearings and don't have a puller.

Bill
Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 AM
krop
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

DP. I like to use a 2-56 socket head screw about 1/2 inch long and stick a ball driver through a small hole in the cowl, that way there is nothing long to punish the needle valve O-ring and nothing sticks out of the cowl.
Hobbsy,
In message #13588, you mention using a 2-56 screw in the needle valve.
I think that is a great idea! But, I have a question.
I attempted to place one in the hole of the needle valve on both an 82 and 125 SAITO
and find it too large to simply insert.
Do you grind it down a bit or alter it in some other way?
Thanks for all the great advice you present on this forum.
krop
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
mike early

ORIGINAL: krop

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

DP. I like to use a 2-56 socket head screw about 1/2 inch long and stick a ball driver through a small hole in the cowl, that way there is nothing long to punish the needle valve O-ring and nothing sticks out of the cowl.
Hobbsy,
In message #13588, you mention using a 2-56 screw in the needle valve.
I think that is a great idea! But, I have a question.
I attempted to place one in the hole of the needle valve on both an 82 and 125 SAITO
and find it too large to simply insert.
Do you grind it down a bit or alter it in some other way?
Thanks for all the great advice you present on this forum.
krop
I went with some M2 bolts from the hobbyshop. Takes a 1.5mm hex driver. They fit inside the HS needle assembly.

Similar to these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE014&P=7
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Krop, Mike is exactly right, the M2 actually fits in there a little loose, I apologise for the misguide.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
krop
My Feedback: (19)

Mike and Hobbsy,
Thanks for the additional info. Now, that's a snap!
krop
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM
jdkxtreme

I just picked up a new saito 80..Well it is a few years old but never ran. I am going to put this on a goldberg cub sometime this summer..There was no muffler with it. I was thinging od going a 90 deg adapter and flex pipe..Any ideas on that? Would it be nasty loud or sound ok?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
retransit

I have an old Saito 1.20 that came with a straight pipe and it wasn't ear piercing like a 2-stroke can be. Should be just fine with a straight pipe. I would seek out the recommendations of some of the regulars on this thread to be sure.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.