Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Enya

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club Enya

ORIGINAL: Luna_Rendezvous

Bought a used Enya 46-4C from the bay, all seems in order accept the bearings [/surprise][/sarcasm] can some of our Enya experts please enlighten me as to how to remove a stubborn bearing from the timing gear box? Have tried the heating in the oven and slamming onto a block of wood trick, but to no avail []

Hey, my brain just kicked in. How about getting a machine screw and super glueing (CA) it into the inner bearing race. Heat up the cam box and yank it out with a pair of say, Vice Grips or something.

You try it first.

Bill
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Don't hesitate to email Ken Enya directly. You'll be amazed at how responsive and helpful he is. Great guy! Here's the address: [email protected]

Here's the Enya website as well: http://www.enya-engine.com/index_E.htm
Old 03-19-2009, 08:08 PM
GaGeeBees

I finished installing new landing gear in my big red Staggerwing last night and just had to try it out... any excuse to run an Enya engine, right? I fired up the big ol' v-twin and just had to smile while it loped along at low idle as it warmed up. I took it out in the yard and drove around for a while and it sounded like I was mowing the lawn with a Harley! Hope to fly it tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Don't hesitate to email Ken Enya directly. You'll be amazed at how responsive and helpful he is. Great guy! Here's the address: [email protected]

Yo, Ken's the best. Maybe that's why I own 6 Enyas.

Bill
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Ram Jet

I finished installing new landing gear in my big red Staggerwing last night and just had to try it out... any excuse to run an Enya engine, right? I fired up the big ol' v-twin and just had to smile while it loped along at low idle as it warmed up. I took it out in the yard and drove around for a while and it sounded like I was mowing the lawn with a Harley! Hope to fly it tomorrow afternoon.
[sm=cry_smile.gif] Picture please!

Bill
Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 PM
GaGeeBees

Here's the Staggerwing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23403.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1161578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63666.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1161579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14632.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1161580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27013.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1161581  
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Ram Jet

Here's the Staggerwing...

Meuseum quality my man. "Is it real or is it Memorex?" Um, $100.00 per month for 60 months? I think the little girl is too pretty to fly.

As my mom would say "The cream rises to the top."

Thanks for the photos. You give me something to aspire to.

May the fleas of 1,000 camels rest within your armpits.

Best regards,
Bill
Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a lot of goodies on that rack in the corner
Old 03-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Well, I don't know what I'm looking at but this gemtleman has the same fondness for wheel pants that I do. Yesterday I bought a beautiful set of wheel pants from my LHS for my Brodak ARF CL Oriental. I can't wait to crash it. I hope I don't bend the Enya SS.40BB crank in the process. Those stupid flaps scare me. Maybe I'll just put her together and make her a "hanger queen". You aren't that far away w8, maybe you could "maiden her for me". Get your mind out of the gutter. Maiden, pants - cheese. This is a wholesome hobby?

Regards,
Bill
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Luna_Rendezvous

You mean those parkzone Trojans lol I'm currently learning to fly RC with their sister ship the Corsair, crashed the firs time I took it up, but then got myself a simulator and haven’t had a crackup since [8D] knock on wood.

Yeah I might shoot Ken an email, need to send him back a faulty piston ring that was in my SS45 too.

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet
Hey, my brain just kicked in. How about getting a machine screw and super glueing (CA) it into the inner bearing race. Heat up the cam box and yank it out with a pair of say, Vice Grips or something.

You try it first.

Bill
There’s not much left of the cage unfortunately, though I have another idea though, will go back to the heat and rapping it on a block of wood, but this time I'll attach it to a 12" piece of dowel to get more speed and leverage.

Only had the engine 24H but it's coming along nicely, you can't imagine how filthy the inside of the crankcase was, dark red and brown goop every where. Should have taken more shots of the before... still I think it was a good buy for $47 though.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29916.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1161668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39413.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1161669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11759.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1161670  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that's my line - cleaning up an old engine and getting it going. Looks like you are having fun
Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it is Snap-On that makes a blind hole bearing puller small enough for that bearing. Had the same problem on my VT-240. The timing shaft bearing in the rear case cover had an inner diameter of around 1/8th inch. Most blind hole bearing puller sets from places like Sears or Horrible Freight don't have a small enough one to get that little sucker out. I ended up sending the engine out to BJ's Engine service in Connecticut because I had also broken one of the socket head cap screw heads off for the engine head trying to take it all apart. Just boxed it up and sent the whole mess to them. Did a great job fixing it, cleaning it (you know one of those Fleabay congealed castor oil messes) and did a test run on it. A good investment. Ken Enya himself recommended them. Sometimes my fat fingers just get in the way.
Mike MacLean
Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Luna_Rendezvous

You mean those parkzone Trojans lol I'm currently learning to fly RC with their sister ship the Corsair, crashed the firs time I took it up, but then got myself a simulator and haven’t had a crackup since [8D] knock on wood.

Yeah I might shoot Ken an email, need to send him back a faulty piston ring that was in my SS45 too.

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

You try it first.

Bill
There’s not much left of the cage unfortunately, though I have another idea though, will go back to the heat and rapping it on a block of wood, but this time I'll attach it to a 12" piece of dowel to get more speed and leverage.

Only had the engine 24H but it's coming along nicely, you can't imagine how filthy the inside of the crankcase was, dark red and brown goop every where. Should have taken more shots of the before... still I think it was a good buy for $47 though.

She's cleaning up beautifully. I think I paid about the same for mine. I cleaned mine up with no new parts. I AM putting a Bowman ring in her though.

Bill
Old 03-19-2009, 11:48 PM
rrengineer

Getting a substantial Federal tax return on the 24th according tot he IRS website due to a new law that fixes the Alternative Minimum Tax boondoggle that has "stolen" thousands from me over the last several years. I am now officially on the hunt for a new in the box VT-240! Yayyyyy!
Mike MacLean
Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: rrengineer

I believe it is Snap-On that makes a blind hole bearing puller small enough for that bearing. Had the same problem on my VT-240. The timing shaft bearing in the rear case cover had an inner diameter of around 1/8th inch. Most blind hole bearing puller sets from places like Sears or Horrible Freight don't have a small enough one to get that little sucker out. I ended up sending the engine out to BJ's Engine service in Connecticut because I had also broken one of the socket head cap screw heads off for the engine head trying to take it all apart. Just boxed it up and sent the whole mess to them. Did a great job fixing it, cleaning it (you know one of those Fleabay congealed castor oil messes) and did a test run on it. A good investment. Ken Enya himself recommended them. Sometimes my fat fingers just get in the way.
Mike MacLean
B J's is an authorized Enya dealer. He sells some killer engine cleaner that I haven't tried yet but will.

Bill
Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Ram Jet

Getting a substantial Federal tax return on the 24th according tot he IRS website due to a new law that fixes the Alternative Minimum Tax boondoggle that has "stolen" thousands from me over the last several years. I am now officially on the hunt for a new in the box VT-240! Yayyyyy!
Mike MacLean

You are in my prayers brother. Picture when you get it? I made mention several months ago here that I was looking for a nice Enya four cycle. I got a PM from a fellow who has since become a friend and sold me a new (purchased in 01/2000) Enya 1.55. Do I need it? No. Do I love it? Yes. My last stop brefore the Lord punches my ticket - an Enya VT240. Sigh.

Bill
Old 03-20-2009, 01:10 AM
rrengineer

I already have a slightly used VT 240, but nothing says it all like "New in the Box"!!! I most assuredly will post pictures because I will want to print some wallet size to carry around and show people that don't even care about model engines, not to mention just pulling them out once in a while to ogle myself. What a decision! To run it or just put it on a pedestal in the living room for all to admire.
Mike MacLean
P.S. Finder's fee if anyone puts me on to a new one that I actually purchase!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Ram Jet

I already have a slightly used VT 240, but nothing says it all like "New in the Box"!!! I most assuredly will post pictures because I will want to print some wallet size to carry around and show people that don't even care about model engines, not to mention just pulling them out once in a while to ogle myself. What a decision! To run it or just put it on a pedestal in the living room for all to admire.
Mike MacLean
P.S. Finder's fee if anyone puts me on to a new one that I actually purchase!

There was a European gentleman trying to sell a new one here one month ago. Hello out there. Give RR a ringy dingy.

Bill
Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 AM
rrengineer

Wasn't that A10 Flyer?
Mike
Old 03-20-2009, 03:55 AM
Ram Jet

Wasn't that A10 Flyer?
Mike

Sorry RR, I fell into a heap of sniveling protoplasim because I couldn't afford it. Don't remember. I think the gent was Scandanavian.

Bill
Old 03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
travwhit

How do you replace bearings in a ENYA 80-4C with removable front housing? Is there a trick to it?

Trav
Old 03-20-2009, 02:27 PM
jameighan

GaGeeBees,
I just noted your installation of the ENYA VT-240 with Glo Driver connectors. I'm using the same connectors and I had to trim the lower portion of the insulator boot so that the spring contactor would make a robust connection to the glo plug center stub. If you do not trim the excess rubber from the boot, the connector will pop-off. I had the same problem with an ENYA R120 and it was a simple fix.

In the near future, I'll post a photo of my VT-240 mounted on a scratch built 28% Sopwith Pup. It's going to weight approx. 21 lbs.

Jim
Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 PM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: jameighan

GaGeeBees,
I just noted your installation of the ENYA VT-240 with Glo Driver connectors. I'm using the same connectors and I had to trim the lower portion of the insulator boot so that the spring contactor would make a robust connection to the glo plug center stub. If you do not trim the excess rubber from the boot, the connector will pop-off. I had the same problem with an ENYA R120 and it was a simple fix.

In the near future, I'll post a photo of my VT-240 mounted on a scratch built 28% Sopwith Pup. It's going to weight approx. 21 lbs.

Jim
Thanks for the tip, Jim. I found that I had to do the same thing when I installed mine. A few deft slices with the Exacto knife, several curses and a Bandaid and I was done

Looking forward to your pics of the Sopwith Pup.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 PM
GaGeeBees

Flew the Staggerwing this afternoon and had a good time. The v-twin ran great but it's really a pain to get primed. I don't use an electric starter due to the big polished spinner, so getting fuel into the cylinders is usually accomplished by inverting the plane and squirting some fuel into the exhaust pipe and then rotating the prop until the exhaust valves open to let the fuel directly into the combustion chamber. You have to be really careful about hydrolocking but it works. Once primed, it's usually one flip and it starts. My engine will NOT run with the pressure tap from the muffler hooked up. It will idle all day, but won't run at wide open throttle regardless of the high speed needle settings. Anybody else experienced this? Would a Perry pump or Cline regulator help?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Ram Jet

Flew the Staggerwing this afternoon and had a good time. The v-twin ran great but it's really a pain to get primed. I don't use an electric starter due to the big polished spinner, so getting fuel into the cylinders is usually accomplished by inverting the plane and squirting some fuel into the exhaust pipe and then rotating the prop until the exhaust valves open to let the fuel directly into the combustion chamber. You have to be really careful about hydrolocking but it works. Once primed, it's usually one flip and it starts. My engine will NOT run with the pressure tap from the muffler hooked up. It will idle all day, but won't run at wide open throttle regardless of the high speed needle settings. Anybody else experienced this? Would a Perry pump or Cline regulator help?

I could only guess about your high speed running problem. Does it stumble at full throttle and recover when you throttle back? If so, my guess would be inadequate fuel supply. Cline or Perry? Someone will post you about it. I can just about guarantee one of the Enya freaks here will know. I've heard that Enyas in general don't behave well with pressurized fuel systems. It probably speaks well of the design of their induction systems.

You better not have put even a scratch on my baby.

Cheers,
Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.