Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Glow Plug worries

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Glow Plug worries

Thanks, speedster....he doesn't offer the four cycle plug by the card like the others. []
Old 02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: speedster 1919

Stop Outacontrol----Why in the world would you want to use a $9 OSF or a $5 FOX MIRICLE plug when a $2.50 Fox RC LONG Idle bar plug will work just fine. First you didn't mention your nitro amount. A super Tigre will barely tolerate above 10% nitro and how old was your #8. It is reported that the Fox Idle Bar plug is the perfect plug because of timing for a ST engine. This is a medium hot plug. These plugs were invented for the Super Tigre's on purpose and don't flame me it was only for baffled pistons. With the RC LONG and a tad leaner on the low speed needle you will be fine and will not notice a RPM loss when removing igniter.
The only 2 stroke engine I own that did not like the Fox Idle Bar when it was start up cold was a TIGER SHARK 61 .I think it was FLY BOY DAVE that said a K&B 1L was the fix to start up noise. IT DID --Funny I have a TIGER SHARK 46 and the RCLONG is just fine. Don't get me wrong, once the TS61 warmed up the Fox RC LONG was just fine.
...is this true, barely over 10%....maybe that's why I'm having a similiar problem with my G-90 on 15% nitro? It sputters at the low end, but screams at the high end and doesn't transition very well.....Sorry - didn't mean to hijack you post.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:19 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will get guys that swear their Super Tigres run great on 15% or even 20% but they are happest with 5% nitro. I fly ST's , MDS's , Webra's , Tower's ,because they don't like high nitro. I mix my own fuel for the fun of it and not to save money. Nitro is expensive and corrosive after it is burned. Our club has a lot of nitro hogs - They seem to in the long run go thru more engine failures from my observation. I have gotten some Tigre flyers to go down in nitro and are now happy with ST's now.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:03 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Could have been part of my problem as well. Was running 10%......gonna switch to 5%. A new O.S. F plug helped tremendously. If you're right about lower nitro content I should end up with one sweet running engine.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
victorzamora

I've had nothing but problems with idle-bar plugs. An O.S. A3 will work PERFECTLY with that engine. Someone here had the same problem, and A3 plug fixed it right up, plus they could run it richer so it did better!!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Sport_Pilot

You may have trouble with idle bar plugs if not used on a cross flow type design.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Flyboy Dave

I've had nothing but trouble with idlebar plugs too, mainly getting a good idle....

I've throw them all away. Many times at the field I come across them when helping someone
with a fussy engine that won't run right....yank the offending idle bar plug....install a non idle
bar plug....a little tuning....problem solved.

FBD.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to run an OS 90fsr that could never break into a fourcycle without a K&B idlebar plug. The engine ran perfectly on any plug until the high needle was opened too much, it would usually quit without any signs of being too rich. I only tried three different plugs and left the K&B in place since it worked the best. Its possible that others could have worked better but certainly not by very much.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:21 AM
speedster 1919

Well not all Idle bar plugs are created equal...........The machined bar is the best to use as opposed to a tack welded idle bar. I've used OS #8 plugs and they didn't do a thing for me. Besides I want to do my part to keep FOX in business...........
Old 02-10-2007, 05:28 AM
speedster 1919

Thanks, speedster....he doesn't offer the four cycle plug by the card like the others.
Flyboy Dave Maybe you could e-mail him and see if he would put up cards of the 4 stroke Fireball plugs............
Old 02-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Flyboy Dave

I already did....check out the response....

"Dave,

You already have the HOT plugs, which I use on all of my 4 strokes. Fireball doesn't make a plug
that they call a 4 stroke plug, but my experience says that you can't beat the HOT plug they make.
I've used a lot of different plugs over the years, and it's hard to beat this plug. Pay $7.00 for a
OS type F plug? Not ever."

....and the Guy sells the Fireball plugs....go figure.

FBD.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:48 PM
kilroy52

Have any of you tryed the Hanger 9 (3011 4-Cycle Super Plug?) I use it in place of the OS F. It cost the same as a OS A3. Evolution uses it in there 2 stroke engines.

I have had good luck with it in my Evolution 46, My saito 56,72, and 100 engines, and my Three OS 70 Surpass 4 stroke engines.

The Saito and the OS Surpass engines had OS F plugs in them when I bought them. The 3011 workes just as good....

I use a OS A3 in Two OS 46FX and one OS 46AX engines...

I have just bought a Super Tiger 61 ringed engine. Have not run it yet..............

Don.....................
Old 02-10-2007, 07:37 PM
TimC

I can't attest to the truth of the following, but here is a quote from a review of a made in China Leo 37:
"The engine was supplied in a plain white cardboard box. Inside we find the engine and silencer, a double A4 set of instructions, two open ended spanners, two allen keys and a Fireball glow plug!"
I can't see the Chinese importing glowplugs from the U.S.A.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:00 PM
mooneyAV8R

Ok, I am branching out into other threads, Hobbsy you will see that.

I would love to try the OS F in my enya 120 TN because everyone likes how it works, but I cannot get any of my three igniters to latch on. I have tried to double the washer to get more length thinking it doesn't stick out enough before the igniter contacts the head. Anyone else had this problem and have a good solution?

By the way, Hobbsy, I found that plug we were talking about in the other thread and it was NOT a miracle. It had thread all the way down the shaft. With 15% that Fox plug made the motor run on its own without even touching the prop - scared the hell out of me!
Do you think the miracle would be good to try?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The Miracle will work in almost anything, it's perfect for the big MDSs, Tigres and all 4 strokes.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:21 PM
mooneyAV8R

I'll try to see if it will fit. You don't happen to know if it's the same dimension as the regular Fox plug do you? It wouldn't allow igniter connection.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 07:01 AM
speedster 1919

You already have the HOT plugs, which I use on all of my 4 strokes. Fireball doesn't make a plug
that they call a 4 stroke plug, but my experience says that you can't beat the HOT plug they make.
http://www.rsmdistribution.com/engines-07.htm
Now I question the made in USA part. The package does not state - MADE - and like Tim says - I can't see the Chinese importing American glow plugs but I can see an American company getting in bulk China plugs and blister packing them here in the USA.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Flyboy Dave

....strange, huh ?

....for the price, two bucks a pop....they're worth a try. I have used only one plug, a
regular one....and it worked fine.

FBD.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:30 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

The four stroke plug referred to earlier was a McCoy, not a Fireball. Fireball do not make a plug marketed as a 4-stroke specific plug as far as I am aware. The hot plug may (apparently) be used with success in some 4-strokes.

The engine (LEO) referred to in the review, which was supplied with a Fireball plug, was supplied by JustEngines, who sell model glow and diesel engines in the UK.

JustEngines sell, or used to sell, Fireball plugs as part of their accessory line.

Quite often when you buy an engine form JustEngines, you will receive a glow plug with it. I bought an MVVS .49 from them and it was supplied with a glow plug.

When you buy a gasser, it comes with a spark plug, right?

So, I dont think the fact the engine the reviewer commented on, had a Fireball plug with it, means they are made in China. It would have been put in the box by JustEngines. I expect Fireball plugs are still made in the USA, as Mr. Swanson advised.

If I am incorrect in any of this, please feel free to post. My comments are all just logical supposition, no definite facts here.

(Edited to correct typo's)
Old 02-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Flyboy Dave

....Fireball does in fact list a four cycle specific glow plug....

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/engines-07.htm

FBD.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:42 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

The Miracle will work in almost anything, it's perfect for the big MDSs, Tigres and all 4 strokes.
I've not had your luck with the miracle-plug in my 4-strokes or STs.

In an ST90, the Miracle plug makes the rich mid-range *much* worse tahn with an OS#8 and on my 4-strokes (Saito & TT), I have to lift the idle speed by 300-400 RPMs to keep the motor running when compared with an OS-F (yes, I tried retuning the low-speed needle but no improvement).

Since the OS-F and OS#8 plugs both seem to last well over a year (of very regular flying) I see no point in trying to save a couple of bucks. Since I fly more than 100 hours a year, the cost of using OS plugs is just a cent or two an hour.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:09 AM
fiery

Hi Dave

That link shows the 4-stroke plug as being a McCoy plug.

Nothing for 4-strokes listed under Fireball. Am I missing something?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have run my tiddler OS 52 four stroke on Fox Miracle, Hangar 9 "H" and OS F plugs, and with 10% nitro in the fuel could not tell the difference in performance.

Idle, transition and top end were equivalent with all 3 plugs.

It is interesting how different users report different levels of success. Some find plug X works perfectly, but equivalent plug Y of a differing brand does not.

While being a quality product, with the exception of the OS F, I find OS plugs perform no better or worse than many other well respected brands out there. What matters to me is not so much the brand, but whether the heat range suits the application.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Flyboy Dave

....my bad....I didn't notice the McCoy tag there....

Old 02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Flyboy Dave

....which begs the question....

....if the McCoy is their 4 stroke plug....what will their hot plug accomplish ?

I guess I'll have to find out.

FBD.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:02 AM
fiery

Can anyone recommend a plug that will work well with an OS .91 ducted fan engine running 10% nitro fuel?

A few have been tried, mostly medium heat range sport plugs, and they are pounded into submission after only one flight. Sometimes the engine will deadstick due to complete failure of the element.

I believe the engine wants a cool to cold plug but most of all it must have a robust element. I am thinking an ENYA 5 or 6 or McCoy MC 9 to try next. Suggestions welcome. Please, no OS 8, A3, A5, etc .. they just don't survive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.