Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Laser?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 PM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carosel43
Using a model oil is a better bet long term. In truth the engines have changed greatly over the years and that line in the instructions is almost redundant. It only really applies to engines not flown often and not stored correctly so all the oil leaks out.

Also regarding the torque issues I do not have such a problem with the jayracer as it is so big and heavy. That said I have flown bug engines for so long now I automatically compensate for any swing so probably don't notice. This was very true when I let someone else fly my La7, he almost lost it on take off due to torque and yet I consider it very easy to take off
Ok thanks Jon

How's your young cameraman, by the way? There is not a single video in Youtube on a 360v on an aerobatic plane.."hint hint.."
Old 11-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Carosel43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is flying very well and has been putting time in with the La7. Also I did do a video of the 360v at the weekend but the lighting was very poor and the camera could not cope. The autofocus got very confused also the model developed a small fault so I will get a video next time I fly it
Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 AM
CH Ignitions
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello everyone,

Here is a Laser 160 converted to GLOW CDI, Single unit I made for all uneven fire..
I will work next on a 200 and 300. Those are the 2 engines I have here .
I will also look for a 360. The 300 and 360 should be the same as far as prop drive and case....that was my understanding talking with Jon at Laser in UK.
But are new version of the 300 and 360 that are the same, old version I understood are different.

I hope you like it and feedback will be welcome

Thanks
Adrian
http://youtu.be/aa3uuf4c-H0
Old 11-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Carosel43

Hi Adrian, just to clarify the old 300 and 360 share a crankcase/front housing. The current production 240 and 300 are the same, the 360 is the same as always and is larger. We used the smaller crankcase from the 240 on the 300v to save a little weight and reduce the number of components we had to produce.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:15 AM
CH Ignitions

Thank you so much for clarification, I got it wrong...messed up between versions.
So...how the engine runs in your opinion?
This is the first prototype ignition that will go to Sweden to the gentleman that sent me the engine.

Jon, the Carosel43 is you?

Thanks
Adrian
Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Carosel43

Hi Adrian

Yes its me, I try and keep a low ish profile but its not really a big deal. In any event the engine looks and sounds like its running well, I assume this was still on glow fuel?? As a benchmark we expect 9000-9200rpm on an apc 16x8and 5% nitro. idle is always down to about 1600 if its set up correctly.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:24 PM
CH Ignitions

I think was room for bit more, not 100% tuned but also engine is not new and Vess prop has a bit more "bite" than a APC.
I will try also a APC next time.
The carb I was talking...I had a miserable failure on a Evolution 7-77 radial engine. I tried on that and did not work well at all.

Thanks
Adrian
Old 11-30-2013, 05:15 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

what does a laser 1.80 cost , and where do you buy them?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Carosel43

The laser 180 is £369 plus shipping in the uk. Price including shipping to America will be £335. Currently the engines are in stock and orders can be placed by contacting [email protected]. To save a little time, which model do you hope to power with the engine?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Joespeeder

Hi Carosel43,

The new web site looks great !! Will you have full dimensions on each engine soon? I'm thinking a 120 may fit a Topp Rippin Fiat G55 that I'm accumulating parts for a build next year.

Joe
Old 12-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Carosel43

Hi joe

The website is still not finished and we will have dimension drawings. These are a high priority in the early part of the year.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Joespeeder

Thanks Carosel,

The more detail you can give in those drawings the better... Besides the Fiat, which is a 63inch ws sized model, I have been researching the SiSt FW-190 D9. I have read everything I could about fitting the 360v into that fuse and it seems that everyone says it can't be done. Yet no one has really tried it or at least shown photos of it in an actual SiSt D9 nose for fitting. I've looked at all the photos in both US and German forums and translated text of the 300v installations and it looks like you might be able to stuff the 360v in there.... maybe.... Hard to really know with out everything in hand.

The cowl mounting ring on the SiSt D9 which is that outer dimension reported for the cowl is 225mm and the 360 shows 226mm on the old dimension photo on the Laser site. So this poses 3 real questions.
- Whats the smallest diameter cowl a 360v will fit in ? Maybe we can rotate the carbs to keep the needles inside the cowl?
- Is the reported SiSt D9 cowl dimension at the widest point of the cowl flap flare or at the main barrel of the cowl? If it's at the flaps then the 360v would stick out a fair amount.
- If its close, could we get away with just cutting holes for just the cam covers and nothing else except the needle valves?

If the 360v can be shoe horned into the SiST D9 then that would be a great combo. Lots of power, great sound, and no extraordinary effort to build super light. The SiSt D9's come out to a real world 27+ lbs as near as I can figure out. There is a great build on the German forums that reports about 24-25lbs but if you really search he has two videos and the second video after it's been flying for a bit reports 27lbs.... He worked hard to get it there.

Anyway, when you do dimensions, if you could put radius dimensions for the various points like to the bottom of the valve covers, to the top of the valve covers, and to the top of the needle valves on all the engines it would be a great help when spec'ing out a new set up.

Thanks again.

Joe

Last edited by Joespeeder; 12-29-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The rumor mills make me believe that Laser is contemplating a petrol fueled engine. Is that right Jon?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Carosel43

As usual the rumor mill has it half right. We have been experimenting with petrol to see how it works and our conclusions are thus:

Mechanically the Laser engine has no problem with running on petrol
Fuel consumption is reduced
The engines get very hot
Power output is unaffected
Reliability, tuning and throttle response are poor even with pumped walbro type carbs.

From our experiments so far we believe there is little to no advantage in a petrol engine smaller than 40 or 50cc. The extra weight of ignition and batteries is a problem on smaller models and the difference in fuel costs is at best overstated due to the cheap low nitro fuel used by laser engines. As a heavy user of glow fuel I use at most £180 per year and yet I use that much petrol in my car every month. We have also yet to find a carburettor that provides a satisfactory throttle response and is consistent enough. When time permits we will continue to work on this, but we currently have no plans to release a petrol engine.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jon
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Carosel43

No Problem. The real thing that we are seeking to avoid is selling a product that is not ready and has lots of problems. We have seen other engine companies do this in recent years and a quick search of the forums will show this. So until we are satisfied any engine we make is working perfectly we will not attempt to sell it.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm sure we'll all be very interested if/when Laser releases a petrol engine, meanwhile can I join your club please I have a Laser 70, 90 and 150 V twin?

Are you going to allocate us numbers like the Saito Brotherhood or are you going to keep things informal?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 AM
Carosel43

To the best of my understanding there is no club, certainly nothing official. I only joined this thread recently so I can only assume the chap who created it named it. In any event, the more the merrier!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Carosel, I started this thread on March 3, 2007 without knowing whether it would catch on or not. It has done well. I currently do not own a Laser but would like to, they are great engines.with a great reputation.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:14 AM
Carosel43

Hi Hobbsy

I was linked to this thread by (I think) aerofinn following work we did on his 240v. It has been interesting reading the comments of others regarding Laser engines. We are currently working on a number of fronts to improve the engines further as well as looking at new products for the future. Our website has been updated but is not finished yet, we have a new engine on sale and are working to maximise production. All in all its a busy time!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM
AeroFinn

Hello guys, I'm in need for a new home for my 240v. I would like to have a warbird or a 30's classics such as Waco,etc. Any ideas?
Artto
Old 04-21-2014, 08:29 AM
AeroFinn

As usual the rumor mill has it half right. We have been experimenting with petrol to see how it works and our conclusions are thus:

Mechanically the Laser engine has no problem with running on petrol
Fuel consumption is reduced
The engines get very hot
Power output is unaffected
Reliability, tuning and throttle response are poor even with pumped walbro type carbs.

From our experiments so far we believe there is little to no advantage in a petrol engine smaller than 40 or 50cc. The extra weight of ignition and batteries is a problem on smaller models and the difference in fuel costs is at best overstated due to the cheap low nitro fuel used by laser engines. As a heavy user of glow fuel I use at most £180 per year and yet I use that much petrol in my car every month. We have also yet to find a carburettor that provides a satisfactory throttle response and is consistent enough. When time permits we will continue to work on this, but we currently have no plans to release a petrol engine.
Speaking of throttle response: I'm running my 300v and 240v on 5% nitro / 17% Aerosave oil

I'v noticed that with heavy APC props the throttle response is not as good as it could be. When I slam the throttle from idle the engine first coughes then it picks up the max rpm. I t feels like the LS needles are too lean. I can cure the matter by richening the LS needles but then the engine dies after 1/2 minute or so at idle on overly rich idle mixture. If I use on-board glow no problem but I dislike onboard glow for the weight penalty.

Any thoughts? My tank set-up is twin 300ml Sullivan tanks per LAser instructions. Standard 3/32 fuel lines.

I'm thinking I could try:

1. larger fuel lines (which fall off from the small carburettor nipples easily) to help the engine such fuel better. This means changing the clunks to larger ones, too
2. reduce oil content from 17% to 15% (can such a small fifference be on any importance?)
3. change the glow plugs the hotter ones? (which make / model?)
(4. do what fellow member "Reverend" does: use the onboard glow and then just set the LS needles for good transition)

Any ideas?

thanks Artto

Last edited by AeroFinn; 04-21-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Carosel43

How much did you open the slow run needles? more than 1/4 turn would most likely be too much. Also I set my slow run needles for a very slight hesitation (lean) on the ground as they then come right in flight when the load on the engine is reduced. a wooden prop would also help with acceleration.

as for you other list of things to try I wouldn't bother with different plugs or fuel tube etc. it wont make any odds. The OS F plug is all you will ever need and I use 3/32 fuel line on everything. As for fuel dropping to 15% oil will make a cleaner model and bit more power.

Remote glow is not required and not recommended.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 AM
AeroFinn

How much did you open the slow run needles? more than 1/4 turn would most likely be too much. Also I set my slow run needles for a very slight hesitation (lean) on the ground as they then come right in flight when the load on the engine is reduced. a wooden prop would also help with acceleration.

as for you other list of things to try I wouldn't bother with different plugs or fuel tube etc. it wont make any odds. The OS F plug is all you will ever need and I use 3/32 fuel line on everything. As for fuel dropping to 15% oil will make a cleaner model and bit more power.

Remote glow is not required and not recommended.
Hi Jon

Thanks, the acceleration is perfect ( 240v / Menz 18 x 8) so I think it's the heavy Apc prop that causes the slight hesitation. I think I'll mix a small amount of 15% oil content fuel just to see if it does anything for the acceleration. I doubt it, though..

But I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Carosel43

for the 300v try a 20x8 menz. I get about 7300 or so out of my 300v on that prop and have no trouble with acceleration. On a heavy 20x8 master classic the acceleration is naturally a little slower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.