Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM
germrb
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

John,

Thanks for the information. I think you are correct. There never was an official "WACO Yellow". I was surprised to see so many shades on vintage aircraft. I assumed that a lot of the variation was aging and weather, apparantly not true. I painted my 33% in Lemon Yellow Randolph dope with True Red trim.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45935.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	992746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96240.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	992747  
Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Wobble Wing

As another man in uniform would say, "It's a little known fact" that the Army has more watercraft than the Navy and more aircraft than the Air Force.
I know, I know-size does matter.

Bud
Waco Brotherhood #95

PS I apologize in advance for poking in this bee nest.......
Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
WacoJoe

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

I do not believe that Waco had official colors. One of the advertisements for the Waco YMF has the statement “Customers choice” in the colors available part.
Waco typically had some standard colors, but was usually also open to customer special orders. Waco used "Berryloid" pigmented dope from Berry Brothers Progressive Aircraft Finishes for their colors. Berry Brothers was out of Detroit MI. The book "Waco Aircraft Production 1923-1942" by Ray Brandly contains a Berryloid color chart. This book is out of print, but you might be able to find one on the internet through a used book outlet.

Cheers!

Joe
WB #54
Old 07-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try these:

http://www.oldbeacon.com/plans/berryloid/berryloid.htm

http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/altair/h1berry.htm
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 PM
germrb

Crazy Lew,

Thanks for the Berryloid data. I found the color I was looking for - Loening Yellow.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:13 PM
germrb

Joe,

Thanks for the data reference. I did find an out of print copy in Vancouver, BC, but it is $50. I'll have to think about it at that price.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:39 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wobble Wing

As another man in uniform would say, "It's a little known fact" that the Army has more watercraft than the Navy and more aircraft than the Air Force.
I know, I know-size does matter.

Bud
Waco Brotherhood #95

PS I apologize in advance for poking in this bee nest.......
That deserves a swift and unmeasured response
I think that Bill would concur with the AF philosophy that, "It ain't how much you have that counts, It's how you make use of what you have". Sort of like in physics, the amount of force applied sometimes is less important than the direction and focus of the force.

Well, enuff Army bashing, let's build airplanes.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Stickbuilder

And now for some great news. Sue just called with the daily update on Dick. He is bouncing back. It's will be a long journey for him, but the prognosis is good. The Nerologist saw him today, and does not think that he will have any lasting problems from the CVA that occurred either during or just after the surgery. He is completely lucid, and there appears to be no loss of vision or movement. He will probably begin his Cardiac Rehab very soon, and will, in all likelyhood be writing the column again before year end. I'm hoping to see him down here this coming spring to attend Top Gun, and maybe I'll get to go to Michigan so that we can make an event or two.

Guys, I don't know how religious you all are, but prayer is obviously a powerful tool. Thanks for all of them that you guys made on Dick's behalf.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brother #1
Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 PM
WacoJoe

ORIGINAL: germrb

I did find an out of print copy in Vancouver, BC, but it is $50. I'll have to think about it at that price.
Yeah, that's a bit steep. But it's a great reference from a historical standpoint. More for us historical detail nuts than for modeler reference though. I'm glad I have my copy, but it's a very personal decision as to whether it's worth that kind of money or not.

Cheers!

Joe
WB #54
Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 AM
Stickbuilder

I finally heard from Darrell (Sierra Giant Scale) this past week, and according to him, the mounting lugs on the prototype gear didn't fit well, and he has remade them, and promised to ship the gear this past Friday. I'm waiting (but I ain't holdin' my breath).

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 07-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Jim Henley

Neither are we
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
khodges

Anybody have the Cox ARF they need some spare parts for? I pretty much re-kitted mine yesterday. I was on approach, figured I was too low and too far out, so I throttled up for a go-around. I got the plane pointed at me (coming in from my right) about 100 yards out, 50 feet up) and lost my reference for the plane's speed, and when I pulled up it rolled left under full throttle and spun in. I fought it , trying to get it leveled out, but had lost too much airspeed. It landed flat from about 25 feet up, driving the gear into the bottom of the fuse. The fuse split from the firewall back to the cockpit in several places, made a big pretzel out of the beautiful aluminum gear that damifino made for me. The bottom wing has some internal damage and the L.E on the left outboard third is broken (don't know yet the extent of internal damage, but probably a cracked or broken spar). All struts are okay and top wing is okay.

It's probably repairable, and if I can get over being so pissed off at myself, I might try it. Otherwise, I'll GIVE it (minus all electronics and engine) to whoever wants to pay shipping to send it their way.

I was having so much fun with it yesterday. I had made several takeoffs and landings, was doing aerobatics and low passes, just admiring how good it looked in the air.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:13 AM
kvlasblom

I'm sorry for your loss.
I hope you can find whatever it is you need to get on and repair it.

Greetings,
Kim
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Ken,
Sorry to hear about the lose and it was such a nice looking airplane, but you guys have got to stop this make two so far this year. Jim Henley's and now yours it is starting to put fear into me as not to finishing mine because I wouldn't want to have the same thing happen to mine. As Bill puts it they are very beautiful ragbags and you guys are putting so much detail into them its a crying shame to see you guys report that it had to be put to rest. Now you can flip a coin and do as the ole saying goes lick your wounds, and kick yourself in the back side and learn from your lesson and rebuild it, and tell the plane your sorry for crashing it.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:42 PM
germrb

Ken,

This is not a hobby for the faint hearted. It happens to the best of them. If you're going to fly, you're going to crash!! It the nature of the beast. I spent a year working on my 33% YMF5 and crashed on the first flight take off. It came up so fast, it stalled before the I could get the tail up. Talk about painful, especially with $4000 of engine in the nose. I also did it in front of 50 club members.

My practice is to pick up every last piece, put it all in the corner, and don't even look at it for at least six weeks. After all the pain and humiliation passes, rebuilding seems much more reasonable.

Hang tough!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: khodges

Anybody have the Cox ARF they need some spare parts for? I pretty much re-kitted mine yesterday. I was on approach, figured I was too low and too far out, so I throttled up for a go-around. I got the plane pointed at me (coming in from my right) about 100 yards out, 50 feet up) and lost my reference for the plane's speed, and when I pulled up it rolled left under full throttle and spun in. I fought it , trying to get it leveled out, but had lost too much airspeed. It landed flat from about 25 feet up, driving the gear into the bottom of the fuse. The fuse split from the firewall back to the cockpit in several places, made a big pretzel out of the beautiful aluminum gear that damifino made for me. The bottom wing has some internal damage and the L.E on the left outboard third is broken (don't know yet the extent of internal damage, but probably a cracked or broken spar). All struts are okay and top wing is okay.

It's probably repairable, and if I can get over being so pissed off at myself, I might try it. Otherwise, I'll GIVE it (minus all electronics and engine) to whoever wants to pay shipping to send it their way.

I was having so much fun with it yesterday. I had made several takeoffs and landings, was doing aerobatics and low passes, just admiring how good it looked in the air.
Ken,

Please put it away for a couple of weeks. You will want to rebuild it. After all, you have a ton of time invested in this model, and you know what you would do differently if you had it to do over again. Now's your chance. Tell me what you are going to need, and I can cut the parts for you from the templates, and you can make it even more yours. I would think that you could mate the good tail section of the fuselage of the ARF to the kit version of the front section. The bottom wing repair should be fairly straightforward.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brother #1
Old 07-20-2008, 02:22 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Ken,

Remember AirForce!!! Coronial Steve Austin a man barely alive, but we can rebuild him make him stronger, faster than any man alive. You shall rebuild her and make her stronger, faster, and more beautiful then you shall call her Bionic Waco! Any how all joking aside Bill is right if you don't rebuild your Waco and you just give it away you'll kick yourself later on and the emptyness of all the pride and workmanship that you put into it.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 PM
khodges

Thanks, guys. Not looking for sympathy, it was my own failure as a pilot, and losing my sense of its airspeed and letting it get to that position coming straight at me was my fault entirely.

Guys, for those who haven't flown their plane yet, this thing is a beast if you get close to stall and then pour the coal to it. I think it is more pronounced with a gas engine probably, due to the torque. Make sure you keep your airspeed up, get it going full steam on takeoff and keep the power on when landing. If you abort an approach, don't slam the power to it, there's not enough rudder or aileron to fight the snap. That's what happened to me, 1) I applied power too quickly, and 2) I pulled up before regaining enough airspeed to maneuver. It was the same circumstance as when trying to make it fly too soon on takeoff. Once you get up to speed, though, it's a great-flying airplane. Don't be afraid of it, but respect its quirks.

If I repair it, it won't be before I finish my present build, and completion of that is at least 6 months away.

RCBOATMANIAC- Calling it the 6 million dollar WACO might be more accurate, if I sink much more in the repair effort
Old 07-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken, sorry to hear of your loss.....I might be interested in the remains, if you do not choose to rebuild it....but, I hope you do repair it.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a freebie for any of the Waco Brotherhood or interested thread readers.

I had a small batch of 3" wide Waco Classic logo stick on decals printed up. these are the art shown below, printed in gold and black on clear plastic film. I needed one for my Cox Pica ARF. I guessed at 3" for 1/5 scale and even if it is a little bit oversize, it will look nice on 1/5 scale Waco tails...or on any tail, for that matter! I had the local graphics shop print up a full page of them...was about the same price as printing two of them....

The gold is a little bit translucent, but looks good on my yellow Waco tail. I added a picture below.

I predict they are not fuel or gas proof...did not matter to me, since I went electric. I predict you could carefully airbrush on some clear to seal the decal.

I have 14 pairs left. I will send a pair free to anyone that sends me a stamped self addressed envelope. I will edit this thread when they are all gone.

PM me for my address....I will answer the first 14 PMs and you will get a confirmation that you are getting them when I send you my mailing address. No answer means I ran out.

Khodges, I have already sent yours with the other item I was mailing you.... before I heard about your waco loss.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53424.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	994245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31711.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	994246  
Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Jim Henley

Ken,
Six months sounds like a long time, but it will be gone befor you know it. I have been following the L-19 build and understand why you want to get that one completed first. Likewise, I want to get the M.A.-5 Charger finished before starting on the partilly built WACO I just picked up . Since I just aquired another
WACO, I did not have any remorse in passing the red one on to Nate King (bro #99) who has the skill sets to get her flying again. One thing I am convenced about, was the weight, 20 lbs, is a pretty porky WACO in 1/5 scale and even though I had enough horse power to pull that much weight, pure horse power will not compensate for everything. That said, when the Charger is finished I will turn my attention back to the WACO, but I will be much more carefull about the weight.
Hang in there, give it some time and you will want to make the repair. Who knows, by then Sierra will be producing a 1/5 scale landing gear and all our problems will be solved
Old 07-21-2008, 06:33 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Ken,

[>:]Da[:@][:@] it Man!

I am with Dave-That is two beautiful WACO's planted (they will NOT grow) in less than two months.

I can appreciate your statement about admiring how good it looked in the air.

There is always the "7" to look forward to after the BirdDog.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:16 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Ken,
Bummer about your Waco, I will heed the warnings and keep the airspeed up on my bird. My buddy left for Deleware this morning and I am going to get back on applying my panels to the fuselage. I am no longer trying to get it into the air this season I will just spend more time adding eye candy to the plane.
Anthony
Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken,

Sorry to hear about your temporary loss I bet when you bring her back she will be bigger and better (well maybe not bigger) I wonder sometimes why we put so much time and effort (not to mention the money) in building our planes. I read an article in one of the RC magazines once that described RC flyers as risk takers. I think there’s a lot of truth in that statement.
My moneys on you have her up and flying in less then two months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.