Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Joe,

Don't be a stranger here in the YMF thread, Thanks for the good wishes.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 PM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

Angel sent me this picture of a Standard J-1 in Air Mail Service. For some reason he could not post it to the forum, enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46173.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1019693  
Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Angel,

Thanks for sending John the pic. Those must have been simpler times back then. We’ve come a long way from delivering mail in biplanes to today.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
aminiet

John.
Thank you for posting the picture.
Dan. yes you are right, we have come a long way since those days, today the mail is a very lucrative bussiness for the airlines, so much, that if need be, a passenger may be denied boarding in order to get the mail on board.
I wanted to enlarge the picture but could not even do that, some tning has happened with my computer, I have had to re register with all the web sites I usually visit, I think my wife did it.

Angel

Old 08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

stickbuilder,

Bill, did you ever think when you made your first post back in March of 2006 it would be what it is today. My hats off to you, this has to be the fasted growing form on the internet. Thanks to you I’m enjoying many many many days and night building on my Waco.
Dan,

You never hope for anything to be that successful. It was not my doing, or my influence though. This topic came about at the right time and in regard to the right airplane. The enjoyment that you and the rest of us are having with this thread is due to the efforts of all the members of the Brotherhood. I just happened to be the lucky stiff that made the first post. My hat is off to all the Brothers.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

well lets see if I can get some pics up here not as scale as you more talented builders but it is a sport scale plane for me will do a better one next time here goes flys very nice on the g-26 , 16 x8 prop will go to 18 x6 to try and slow her down on landings , wheel pants & wind screen in the works now that she flys.

Name:	Eb86574.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1020389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92886.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1020390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90253.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1020391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46249.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1020392  
Old 08-28-2008, 04:52 PM
mrdhud

Lazyace

Vary good looking Waco you have there. Must be a great feeling after a successful flight.

All

Does any one know if Gary at getstencels is still in businesses? I can’t pull up his web sight for some reason. I would like to get the pinking tape from him I understand he can cut it from solortex

SuperCubMan

I know you used the silver solortex what did you do for your pinking tape?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:36 PM
trlambsr

The owner is Gary Sibert. Call him in the evenings at 540 667 2877
Email [email protected]

Trlamb
Brotherhood# 69
Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought my tape from Gary a couple months ago, it does appear his site is down. He told me he was getting out of the stencil business but was going to continue marketing the tape.
Anthony
Old 08-28-2008, 06:19 PM
SuperCub Man

I used Gary's pinking tape which he cut out of silver Solartex and I used "Rib Stitching" from Scale Rib Stitch - http://home.cablerocket.com/~scaleribstitch/index.htm I also bought a complete set of stencils from Gary, but I had a h..l of a time using them on the cowl. So I washed the cowl off and I scrapped them and instead I opted to have them cut from vinyl. Although there is a little wrinkling, they look OK from 3 ft.!! The blisters on the FG cowl we use are not round, but have been made oval. Thus it is very difficult to get a good fit except by painting them on, which I don't have the ability to do as good as I wanted!! I also used red 1/16" tape to outline everything except the cowl crabs and the wheel pants which were just too small. I have the Fuse crab and the letters done in two colour vinyl as they would be too difficult to outline at this size. I could have done it but I just know that the tiny bits and pieces would be peeling off from the oil after the first few flights.

Have made arrangements to take the plane up to the local airport here in St. Catharines, where the plane I'm modeling is hangered. The owner Peter Ramm wants photos of the two together!! I'll post them when they're done.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Stickbuilder

Jim,

I can't wait to see the pictures.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Tony V.

Jim,

I cut Clam shells in two sizes then put the smaller over the larger. this gives a stripe all around. same for the blisters. i had to hand cut could not get anyony to cut vinyl for me. used covering and ironed them on,,,

Name:	Jh15036.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1021274  
Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 AM
SuperCub Man

Thanks Tony. I was aware of that method but didn't think of using covering to do the job! I presume you used film for the job. I see you had the same problem I was presented with in that the front of the blisters were made oval in the model cowl rather than round as in the full scale job. Not a complaint because we wouldn't have had these great cowls without the fine efforts of Jay! As a result however, to simulate the roundness of the real thing we either do as you did, or as I did (see photo), by having the round front of the crab spread over onto the flat part of the cowl. Either way they look good from 3 feet away and few will get any closer! Using vinyl, a double layer would be too thick to form around the blister, so I opted to ignore the red trim in that area.
At a later date, if the model flies really well, I may change my mind and try alternate methods of applying the trim to the cowl and pants to get the full scale effect. But for now it's on to the photos and then the maiden!!

Name:	Zx72082.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1021582  
Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
mrdhud

trlamb

Thanks for Gary phone # I will call him this evening and order the tape.

SuperCubman

Where did you get your vinyl cut for your strips & blister decals? I have a place local I get vinyl lettering cut but with out a pattern I don’t know he can cut the other.
Can’t wait to see your Waco finished. Can you tell me how you simulated your front cock pit? It looks really good.

All

I really enjoy looking at every ones finished planes. I have copped and pasted most of them to a folder and go back to them from time to time. The last thing I wont to do is step out of line but I was wondering what you would think of having a web page with every ones finished photos on. It’s just an idea I had.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
SuperCub Man

Hi Dan. Quite easy really. I used the same thing on my Skybolt (sob, sob!) I simply get the outside shape of the cockpit and trim 1/4" off the outside. I then glue black neoprene tubing all around the outside of the shape, flush with the trimmed edge. I then get some leather or simulated leather in the desired colour and wrap the form carefully leaving the material 1/2" larger. Then I carefully make a 1/4" seam around the outside by folding the material on itself and adhereing it with contact cement making sure the material folds neatly without any corners. I then glue the whole mess in position on the fuse. I stick nicely spaced pins through the outside 1/4" of material into the fuse where I put a drop of CA on the pin inside the fuse and cut it flush with the inside of the fuse.
The effect is that the tubing under the material looks like the combing of the covered cockpit and the pins simulate the fasteners holding the cover in place. If you want to cut a hole under the cover so it sinks in a little in the middle, go ahead. I like keeping the fuse strong in this area unless one builds support into the fuse structure to reinforce another cockpit opening.
If this needs more explanation - let me know and I'll try to draw a pix! The operative word here is try!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:55 PM
WacoNut

Perfect timing on the topic,
I am finishing my cowling on my 1/4 scale now, I used frisket paper to make mask for each bump and I am trimming it out with 1/16" 3M automotive pin stripe tape. The tape will make very tight turns without any issues, I would think it would work for 1/5 scale also. Here is a pic of my cowl, you can see the bumps to the left have been trimmed and the ones on the right are ready to be trimmed. The stripes really finish it off nice.
Anthony

Name:	Qo39445.jpg
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1021728  
Old 08-29-2008, 04:32 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: WacoNut
I am finishing my cowling on my 1/4 scale now, I used frisket paper to make mask for each bump and I am trimming it out with 1/16" 3M automotive pin stripe tape.
That cowl is a superb job. Some time back I had advice from Bill (stickbuilder) on a similar cowl and already have the pinstriping tape. What however is FRISKET PAPER?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

old git - - - - aka John L.

Waco Brotherhood No. 14.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:02 PM
trlambsr

Dan
Here is who I have used. Denny has all the stuff for the 33 and I am sure he can make them for the 1/4 and 1/5
He does great work and on time
TR
brotherhood # 69

http://www.cajunrc.com/Cajun_Graphic...cial/index.htm
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: old git

ORIGINAL: WacoNut
I am finishing my cowling on my 1/4 scale now, I used frisket paper to make mask for each bump and I am trimming it out with 1/16" 3M automotive pin stripe tape.
That cowl is a superb job. Some time back I had advice from Bill (stickbuilder) on a similar cowl and already have the pinstriping tape. What however is FRISKET PAPER?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Thanks!!!
Frisket paper is used for making mask for air brushing. You can get it at a good art supply store, it's about $10 for a package of 6 sheets.
Anthony

old git - - - - aka John L.

Waco Brotherhood No. 14.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
SuperCub Man

SuperCubman

Where did you get your vinyl cut for your strips & blister decals? I have a place local I get vinyl lettering cut but with out a pattern I don’t know he can cut the other.
Sorry - I forgot to answer that part of your question!!

I get all my vinyl cut by Doug Field who owns my "local" hobby shop "Field's Hobby Center" in Buffalo http://www.bizingo.com/m/Fields%20Hobby/
He does a great job - very fast - and he charges very little!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:50 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

All

I really enjoy looking at every ones finished planes. I have copped and pasted most of them to a folder and go back to them from time to time. The last thing I wont to do is step out of line but I was wondering what you would think of having a web page with every ones finished photos on. It’s just an idea I had.
Dan,

I don't have a finished WACO to say yes or no on this. But, I too have often thought that would be a neat deal to have a collection of the Brotherhood WACO's all in one place on the web. Would be cool.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man
But for now it's on to the photos and then the maiden!!
Jim,
If you have posted pic's of your WACO finished I missed them some how. I sure hope you can post a few of it sitting with the full scale as well. Sure is looking good.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Stickbuilder

All

Dan, why not start a thread for this?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2008, 09:15 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a great idea. But......should I post pics of mine in its "completed" state, or its "finished" state?

BTW, we're about to pass Sepulveda Basin in ## of posts, pages, etc. A dubious honor, I know.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Bill Fleming
My Feedback: (35)

Hey guys:

Wanted you to know I have a 1/5 Scale Waco listed here on RCU. Excellent condition - parts have never been removed from the box.

This is the third try. I hope there not showing up somewhere else!

Name:	Us52942.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1022176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97723.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1022177  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.