Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Hirobo Support Forum
Reload this Page >

Hirobo SRB Quark

Community
Search
Notices
Hirobo Support Forum Greg Gomes of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your Hirobo questions here!

Hirobo SRB Quark

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
FR4-Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hirobo SRB Quark

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you guys hold your Tx when flying the Quark? Antenna pointing towards the sky (up) or towards the ground (down) or somewhere in the middle?

I only ask because I've noticed better range and less heli flakiness if I point the Tx antenna down towards the ground when flying. I've been practicing with the heli and on the sim with the Tx antenna pointing up, so this way feels a bit strange, but I guess I'll get used to it if in fact that's what it takes to get some reliable range out of this FM radio.

Otherwise, if I point it up, I only get about 30 feet of reliable range with the heli. Outside 30 feet the throttle locks, rudder locks, etc. - occasionally, though.

-John

(Tx antenna extended fully, Rx antenna wire hanging straight down - not wrapped, fresh batteries - tried both alkaline and NiMH, not pointing Tx antenna towards heli, etc.)

Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM
CostaRica1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outside I use the anntena pointing up, indoors I use it pointing down....the heli has flown at maybe 60 feet away from me maximun and no problems so far.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Dave ESPI

I fly flat out or at a 45 degree. Sometimes when I "FREAK" I go 90 up with it, but thats just a reaction kicking in, does not affect radio reactions.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 PM
FR4-Pilot

Interesting. Seems like everybody holds the Tx differently, with (obviously) different results.

Well, for mine anyway, pointing it up (or upward) only gets me about 30 feet of range. Pointing it down (or downward) gets me at least double that (still pushing it to see exactly how far).

I've read that the bundled Tx is not very great. I wonder if a "better" one to replace this one would be worth the expense?

-John

Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 PM
ekotil

Leavethe Quark stock. It is the most trouble free and best flying heli there is with a single rotor. The only thing easier to fly is the mCX and it will not tolerate any wind at all! The Quark rules!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Simages

ORIGINAL: ekotil
Leavethe Quark stock. It is the most trouble free and best flying heli there is with a single rotor. The only thing easier to fly is the mCX and it will not tolerate any wind at all! The Quark rules!
Well that's no fun, flies just as well with a few changes too...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52460.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1210932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35582.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1210933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64277.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1210934  
Old 06-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Dave ESPI

The BEST aspect about the quark........ YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MOD IT FOR A GREAT FLYING HELI !

Out of the box its just awesome

I'm sooooooo looking forward to the CP version next year !
Old 07-04-2009, 11:52 PM
4wdmt

I just need to post here.

Being a monster truck RC guy, I never had any experience flying helis. Just one of those airhog heli toys last Christmas. Anyways, i was looking something different aside from land RCs, so I researched and read so much about how good and beginner friendly this SRB Quark is. Ordered one from Amain and got it last tuesday. With NO official flying or SIM training, the only instruction I have is the manual. 1st time trying flying, it caught me by surprise! Dang! I can actually fly this thing! With so more battery packs through and practice (I am now on my 5th battery pack) I can actually hover and do some minor forward, backwards and side to side then land. It flies like a co-axial! The price of this heli is really worth it. Sometimes, I get to cocky...that is the time I crash. I must be PATIENT and PRACTICE more. But this heli is so stable, you get more excited to fly rather than being frustrated. I am on my last set of main blade, while my tail rotor has 3 more spare. It is so forgiving and it can fly out of the box!

For beginners...definitely worth a look, you won't be disappointed. I am very happy with my purchase.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 AM
twoslick2

I love my Quark!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
4wdmt

Just ordered some more Main and Tail Blades. It is so addicting to fly this thing. Wish the battery has more capacity.

Anyplace where I can buy the quark alone without the transmitter? I live in Canada. Can't find LHS selling them here.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
twoslick2

Try [link]http://heliproz.com[/link] that's where I buy my parts from.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
4wdmt

Thanks. I'll try them out.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Larry David

Had the Quark outside for some fun flying this mild afternoon, ~ 50, calm with occasional 10 mph gusts. It was at about 10 feet when a gust caught it in FF and it starts immediately flying straight into the ground at a 30 degree downwards angle. I quickly applied up elevator and the Quark went into a very graceful upwards swoop 15 feet up at a 35 degree pitch up and stopped at which point I leveled it out nice and smooth. Too windy and it seemed like a better idea to keep it down about 4-6 feet off the deck. Batteries only lasted about 4 minutes probably because of the cool temp but it was still fun to fly outside.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 AM
twoslick2

I want to get my Quark out and fly too but I know I will get over enthused and take it up too high. It just takes a gust of wind to change everything LOL
Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Larry David

That's true. The wind caught me by surprise because it was calm for a few minutes and then a breeze would kick up. Those couple of flights should hold me for a while and I really prefer flying the Quark on warmer, calm wind days. I can't fly inside except for basic hovers and after flying outdoors with all that room last summer I just had to get outside. I'm not sure if it was due to the cold (45-50) but the batteries seemed weak and the heli felt underpowered. It took a lot of throttle for slow climb-outs, more than I remember needing from last summer. I'm hoping these expensive batteries are just being affected by the cold temps and not actually wearing out after about a year.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 AM
twoslick2

We had rain and what felt like sleet here yesterday. Maybe I'll get out soon with my Quark....................supposed to be 50's this weekend.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 AM
chiheng94536
My Feedback: (1)

I got the Quark as a gift but it doesn't come with a transmitter. I'm having a hard time trying to get one from Hirobo. Can someone please tell me what brand or which transmitter exactly should I get that will acutally work with the Quark??? The sticker on the outside of the box says 72.550 MHz, Channel 38. Thank you all in advance for your advice.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 PM
FR4-Pilot

ORIGINAL: chiheng94536

I got the Quark as a gift but it doesn't come with a transmitter. I'm having a hard time trying to get one from Hirobo. Can someone please tell me what brand or which transmitter exactly should I get that will acutally work with the Quark??? The sticker on the outside of the box says 72.550 MHz, Channel 38. Thank you all in advance for your advice.

The Quark with radio comes with a Futaba 4YBF-72, or similar, like this http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj40.html

-John
Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 PM
chiheng94536

Thank you very much John. That really helps me out big time. One more stupid question, I've checked out the Futaba link you sent and noticed that the 4YF seems like it's made for an airplane. Does it matters? I was told the Quark is a magnificant little heli and I'm desperately looking for a transmitter that will definitely work with the Quark. Thanks again for your help.

-Jason

Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 PM
FR4-Pilot

Hey Jason, I really don't think it matters since all of the mixing and adjustments are actually done on the Quark's control unit not on the transmitter. Many people have also successfully used the Futaba 6EXP (the 72MHz one, not the 2.4G) with the Quark as well. The Quark is only 4 channels, but if you add the Hirobo light kit you can use one of the extra channels of the 6EXP to control the front spotlight.

Per the Quark's manual it should work with Futaba, Sanwa or JR radios. There are dip switches on the Quark's control unit that you set depending on which radio you're using. The transmitter needs to be a minimum of 4 channels and FM-PPM (PCM won't work).

Quote from the Quark's manual "Transmitters other than computerized transmitters, including airplane transmitters, can also be used to fly the unit." (They refer to the helicopter as a "flying unit" throughout the manual.

Good luck - you'll love that little heli!

Here is a link to the Quark's user's manual: http://model.hirobo.co.jp/parts-list...m4-0302901.pdf

Also, here's a wiki page a few of us put together: http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Hirobo_Quark_SRB

If you can get your hands on the heli I'd do it quick - rumor has it that Hirobo will be discontinuing the SRB in the US now that the SG is out (but the SG costs around $750!!).

-John

Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
twoslick2

I've had a problem with my Quark breaking the frame where it has the 3 screws that hold the control unit. Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to fix it. I've have this happen 3 times,ended up just glueing it back. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 AM
chiheng94536

John, thanks again for the info. You have been extremely helpful.
-Jason
Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 PM
hellwoodfire

I plan to change my Blade 120 SR for a Quark SRB.
But I'd woud like to be sure it will fly more like a FP than a COAX.
I don't really like the auto stabilisation on the Blade 120 SR...
I mean, for exemple, when I PUSH my elevator stick FORWARD, the heli angle change (and thus the heli move in the forward direction) but when I release the elevator stick, the heli come back to horizontal (and thus the heli STOP move in the forward direction, and even do little backward to stabilize).
I would prefer the FP/CP reaction:
I mean for exemple, when I PUSH my elevator stick FORWARD, the heli angle change and continue to change (mor and more angle) as long as I keep the elevator stick forward, then when I release the elevator stick, the heli STAY in the last angle (not horizontal), and thus the heli DONTSTOP to move in the forward direction, until I PULL elevator stick BACKWARD. I would prefer a more kind of "FP/CP" reaction!
So the QUESTION is:
ISthe Quark like the 120 SR (MORE, LESS?)regarding auto stabilisation or it is more like a "FP/CP" ? How much ? Can you describe the difference ?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 PM
FR4-Pilot

No, the Quark will auto-stabilize too, just like the mSR. I don't have an SR120, but if it's anything like the mSR then you probably won't like the Quark.

But, the Quark has adjustments in the head, flybar/stabilizer and on the control unit to lessen the auto-stabilize effects. You can't get rid of them 100%, so it won't fly like a true CP, but you can minimize them.

It will do like you said, when you release the elevator stick it will return to horizontal. But it can really move and when the tail is working properly it is a real joy to fly. Outside it really needs to be a windless day or it will rise up like a kite. But inside is where it really shines as you can practice (in no wind) and get your tail-in and nose-in orientations down without the threat of damaging furniture/lamps/the heli due to the low 1800-2000 RPM head speed and the foam blades.

-John
Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 PM
hellwoodfire

WOW, this is a so RAPID anwser !!! Thank you so much!
DOES anyone know if the Quark SG will auto-stabilize the same way ?