Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Eclipse 7 /Spectra 72 pin connection issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 AM
GSJames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eclipse 7 /Spectra 72 pin connection issues

I am the owner of 2 Eclipse 7's, one with the 72 mHz Spectra, and the other converted to 2.4 gHz with an aftermarket module (Hitec had not released their conversion at that time). I also have a Hitec Spectra 2.4 gHz module (promo) for use with Optima receivers when I get some. In all cases, with both transmitters, and even with a previous Eclipse 7, I have experienced an intermittent, short period, loss of signal and accompanying model loss. Having exhausted every possibility that I can think of, I believe that the problem may be due to the connection between the module and the transmitter. I have checked the transmitter pin connections on the PC board and in one case (with the advice of AT) even "refreshed" the solder joints to insure a good connection. I have even taken to using a dab of "Dr Marty's Conductive Grease" from www.rcmicroflite.com on the pins to help insure a good connection between the module and the transmitter. I STILL get occasional loss of signal. I have a couple of aftermarket synthesized 72 mHz receivers with LED's that illuminate to indicate reception and if I turn them on, and then "wiggle" the Spectra 72 module a bit, I can occasionally see the LED on the receiver blink out for a few seconds. Transmitter battery voltage is always good, typically 10.2-11.1V and I always recharge when the battery (2200 mAh NiMH) drops below about 10 V. I am using high capacity (2200 mAh, 5-cell NiMH) receiver batteries so I doubt if the problem is voltage drop off on the receiver end. Yesterday, at an RCCA combat contest, when using the aftermarket 2.4 system, about 2 minutes into a test flight I lost signal and crashed. The aftermarket 2.4 module was "beeping" indicating an internal problem (temporary power loss?). After recycling the Eclipse transmitter power, everything worked fine again. Of course, the Hitec Spectra 72 mHz module doesn't make any noise so I can't diagnose it in the same manner. I then flew the Eclipse/Spectra 72 system, and also lost that airplane, however I can't rule out simple interference on that one. As you might imagine, my frustration level is pretty high, and I have completely run out of ideas. I am even considering putting a tiny "S-bend" in the pins to insure that they make a firm, physical contact with the module sockets. I have previously sent the transmitters back for service, and they check out fine. The outstanding Hitec customer service even replaced a module and a transmitter, but STILL the problem re-occurs. Frustrating! Is there a fundamental design flaw with the way that the pins on the transmitter PC board interface with the modules? Any additional suggestions would be welcome. I am at my wits end on this one.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 PM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Eclipse 7 /Spectra 72 pin connection issues

I have the promotional module on an Eclipse 7 and have flow it with no problems. Ithought the module beeping meant the voltage downlinked from the RX was low? Are the LEDS on the back of the module flashing or solid when you get the problem.

Maybe Iam misunderstanding how the promotional module works.

Good luck and hope you find something solid to fix there.

Jim D.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 PM
carrellh

Jim, I think the beeping module is the aftermarket unit, not the Hitec promotional module.

Gary, I know a couple of long time Eclipse owners and neither has experienced this. They rarely remove and reinstall their modules though. Since you say it also happens with the Hitec 72 mhz module it definitely makes me think it is the transmitter rather than the module.

This is the kind of thing that would make it hard for me to trust the transmitter. My brother and I had a 9C with Futaba synthesized 72 mhz module. We had hundreds of flights on several planes with zero issues. One Saturday, after several flights, my brother lost his Hog Bipe after doing a spin. He released the sticks and it stopped spinning. When he tried to pull out he had no control and the plane was destroyed. The battery tested good under load after the crash. We thought it was radio related but could not totally rule out pilot error. The following Saturday, first flight of the day, he lost control of my Big Stik. It was high enough to have plenty of time to determine that none of the controls were working. The plane was trashed when it hit. When we got it back to the truck we turned the radio on and it worked perfectly. We never able to recreate a radio glitch but we were unwilling to risk any more planes. We bought a 9CS a few days later and trashed the original 9C and synthesized module. Almost 2 years later we are still glitch free. Of course, writing that probably cursed us.

Carrell
Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Walter R. Green

I also have the Eclipse 7 with the Spektra RF module, 72mh and just started having the problem that any tap or jerking of the the transmitter causes servo movement without touching the sticks. It is greatly exagerated when tapping the RF module. I definitly believe it is a bad connection with the module and the transmitter pins. My system is about 5 years old and one of the clips that hold the module in the Tx broke off years ago the fix was to glue a velcro strap onto the Tx to hold the module in place. As this just started to happen I have tried cleaning the pins and the module useing tv tuner cleaner from Radio shack, without any improvement. I then pulled the bottom of the module out about an eighth of an inch at an angle, leaving the top in tight, and the tapping of the transmitter did not cause servo movement indicating improvement in the contact surfaces, I could not tap on the module as that would push to bottom back in. I do believe this is a flaw and at some point everyone who uses the Spektra module will have the problem. I have say that really liked the Tx but when I started switching to 2.4 ghz I purchased the Spectrum by Jr.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 PM
JIMF14D

Hitec is very good and low price with repairs. They offered to replace the rear case on my 9 year old Eclipse 7 for $15 including return shipping. Contact them at www.HitecRcd.com and tell them your problem.

On mine the part of the case fell apart where the handle mounts. Someone at the field told me cases do not like glow fuel and after lots of years they get weakened.

Jim D
Old 09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Live Wire

Just lost a plane too this problem. Is there a fix other than buying another brand of radio.[:@] Yes I am Pi$$t
Larry k
Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Just lost a plane too this problem. Is there a fix other than buying another brand of radio.[:@] Yes I am Pi$$t
Larry k
Send it in for service.
(for any radio with a removable module)
If you remove the frequency module regularly, the movement over time can cause a fatigue of the pin contact point to the RF board. 95% of all radios sent in with this description we find this with. The other 5% can be attributed to a broken ground in the RF module or if the radio has been left on with the antenna down, the RF transistor overheats and then causes glitching or loss of signal once the radio has been on for a while and the circuit heats up.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Live Wire

Any idea what it may cost! This radio has not got a mark on it "YET" and I had it in for service right after I got it. And yes the module is removed a lot to change freq.
Larry K
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Brendan Lugo

Usually we don't charge if it's just a solder connection problem.