Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

ORIGINAL: sawooten

thanks

and I am pretty sure the constitution overrides anything you think you know....

good day sir

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Good luck with your endeavor.

Oh and BTW, there is no freedom of speech here.
Sorry if you took that as a swipe at you, it wasn't. Fact is you can't just post anything here without fear of reprisal. Freedom of speech has limits. This is a private forum and as such not subject to the 1st amendment.

Try a post filled with personal attacks and vulgarity and see how fast the post gets yanked.

The 1st amendment is so we can speak out against our government.

When we joined this forum the rules plainly state the guidelines for posting.

On the topic, I hope you get some sort of compensation, I really do. I doubt you'll get anything over a repaired or new transmitter.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

(that shouldn't be a requirement but I'm speaking from experience, not professionalism).

Actually that whole post of yours is extraordinarily professional.
That's the type of logical reasoning to use when communicating with ,say, a manufacturer or distributor should use if they want to be met with understanding, that could lead to a positive outcome.
Have some sympathy for the guy, he lost two airplanes in one day and it sure sounds to me like the radio could be at fault.
It sure could. However, he met with some non-empathetic responses when he started the absurd "they did it on purpose, they don't care", ad nauseum.
First off doug..... you talk about get some experience..... your page says your just a rook yourself and I know race has been flying since you were still crapping your diapers.....
Ahh yes...skim reading causes so many tragedies .Try again, I know there are so many functionally illiterate but it's never too late to learn how to read. If he's been flying that long then Don Lowe was in diapers too, he must be well past mandatory returement age..
that sr is handful isnt it
It sure is !!!
""ooh-rah"" you old ""Teufel Hunden""
Back at you ! . That's where we learned about not being a victim. And what a, uh, "kitty" was. And wasn't.. Doug

Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 AM
JPNYGAARD
My Feedback: (27)

I AM A ROOKIE..... NOT MUCH EXPERIENCE BUT I LIKE TO THINK I HAVE A LITTLE COMMON SENSE. FLYING A 2ND PLANE AFTER THE FIRST EXPERIENCE SEEMS LIKE A ROOKIE ENDEAVOUR .....BUT I KNOW YOU HAD ALL THIS "EXPERIENCE" AROUND YOU. SEEMS LIKE THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN  A LACK OF COMMON SENSE THERE. HOWEVER , AS FAR AS HH IS CONCERNED YOU JUST DON'T SEEM TO GET IT. THERE IS NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT UNTIL YOU FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG ( if anything ) WITH THE RADIO !! IF YOU DON'T TRUST HH TO EXAMINE IT THEN SEND IT TO A THIRD PARTY FOR INSPECTION.... THEN GO BACK TO HH WITH THE RESULTS. I HAVE FOUND HH TO BE 1ST. CLASS. MY DX7 FELL OFF A TABLE AT THE FIELD AND BROKA A GIMBLE AND A SWITCH. I SENT IT TO HH, TOLD THEM WHAT HAPPENED . FIVE OR SIX DAYS DAYS LATER IT SHOWED UP AT MY DOOR FROM A BROWN TRUCK , REPAIRED, WITH A NOTE EXPLAINING WHAT THEY REPLACED CHECKED OUT..... NO CHARGE, NOT EVEN POSTAGE !!!! THEY CALLED IT "CUSTOMER SERVICE"
Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 AM
racelikustolit3k
My Feedback: (73)

uh did you forget where your CAPS key was??? on an INTERMITANT problem that was completely unknown at the time, and after a complete batt check(1 and 5 amp loads) and after a full preflight and ground run without one glitch SA took the cap up, and no kiddin as soon as it rotated he lost it...just like I said in a previous post.. if it were my plane WTH lets try it again(( NOW IF I HAD SEEN ONE PROBLEM ON THE PRE-FLIGHT I WOULD HAVE CAUGHT ON TO AN INT. PROBLEM I WOULD HAVE THEN ADDED TWO AND TWO.... YOU GET THAT))

HH is actually going to stand behind this.. since the TX was outside the date code listed in the recalls,, but shows the same exact problems the first recall had.. I dont have the TX in front of me but the date is somethin something 910T..
Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 AM
blakeketcham
My Feedback: (61)

just my 2 cents was the transmitter antenna pointing out, if so that is incorrect. should be straight up as you hold it. the small antenna radiates from the shaft. if the point end of the antenna is pointed at the aircraft it will suffer diminished signal. if you did not rebind it in a failsafe condition the plane will go to whatever failsafe is set and that can explain a engine surge. the reciever is relinking at that point
if the battery is low and draw is high that is what happens, found this out the hard way twice. you must use 5cell 6.0 volt battery why they come with a 4 cell, that I dont understand. hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 AM
racelikustolit3k

man we need to start a paypal account for these two cent posts.... haha just kiddin fellas.. yes tx ant was pointing straight up as the tx was held parallel to the deck.. both planes were run off 2x2300mah 6v packs and and 1x4.8v ignition packs ( that makes a total of 3 per plane )
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM
balsa brain

Doug, you caused me to spray coffee all over my keyboard and I'm gonna sue you so get ready, lol.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM
racelikustolit3k

another stupid comment that has absolutley no point to this thread [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM
JPNYGAARD
My Feedback: (27)

THIS RACE GUY SEEMS TO HAVE A PROBLEM WIYH HIMSELF !!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
racelikustolit3k

I dont like stupid or pointless... AND YOU REALLY LIKE THAT CAPS DONT YA!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:13 PM
AraTidwell

What were you doing using a $50 radio on a $2500 airplane mostly... yah Spektrum branded servo's suck too... Yet another reason I went with the JR 9503!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a chuckle out of reading these type of threads.

Flying Radio controlled airplanes is like gambling. Every time you throw the dice you could lose.

Takeoffs are optional landings are mandatory.

I read these threads where they buy a new radio throw it in a plane and crash game over! I have never put a new system in a plane that I want to keep. For precisely that reason. The one gentleman said thirty flights. Good rule of thumb I fly them even more 50 times before I "trust" that radio and reciever. I had issues with radios long ago. (late 80's early 90's when transitioning to narrow band when we still flew AM and FM was just coming out.) I learned then. It was a hard and expensive lesson. 5 times I sent radios and receivers back to the parent company. Everytime for a different problem.

I learned long ago the weak point in my airplanes is the radio system. So I test a new radio for an extended period in a plane I do not care if I lose. If lost, it is then no big deal. This prevent problems like this gentleman had.

If you get mad at a crash then you need to take up something else. Crashes are a part of this Hobby. Yeah it sucks when something new does not work correctly but you can reduce damage and loss if you "TEST" new equipment in an airplane that if you lose it your loss is a minimal investment.

Now because of this I have not lost an airplane to Radio Failure since 1998. I have had mechanical failures, structural failures and dumb thumbs but no radio failure. And guess what I do not use expensive radios either. So does money mean quality? Absolutely not. But if you are smart in this hobby, damage can be reduced to a tolerable level.

Some of my planes will fly in excess of 120mph radar gun verified. So I have to know I can trust my radio. I take every precaution and test my equipment in something that is not of much value. It has made my hobby experience much more enjoyable and saved me a boatload of cash.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:30 PM
racelikustolit3k

I said from the start he should upgrade really quick... but hey that is out of my hands.... but I flew my 33% GP extra 330L for a full season with a dx6i, AR6200, and hitec 5945's and never had one problem and I rang that plane out every chance I got.. but its a bad thing for him to fly his plane with a dx6i and no one raises a brow to a guy flying a cermark f-16 with jetcat p60 and a dx7... yeah look it up on youtube... Im sure there are a lot of guys flying bigger planes with the same setup or maybe less.. they just dont air for everyone to poke at.. I am fortunate enough to buy the good stuff powerboxes, JR 12x com-parf planes.. the best of the best.. alot of our fellow flyers cannot do the same but they may buy a big plane with something lacking in one area or another and no one will ever say anything or maybe they will just to try and prove some ego driven point to make the guy feel dumb...
Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
racelikustolit3k

ORIGINAL: RCER88

I get a chuckle out of reading these type of threads.

Flying Radio controlled airplanes is like gambling. Every time you throw the dice you could lose.

Takeoffs are optional landings are mandatory.

I read these threads where they buy a new radio throw it in a plane and crash game over! I have never put a new system in a plane that I want to keep. For precisely that reason. The one gentleman said thirty flights. Good rule of thumb I fly them even more 50 times before I ''trust'' that radio and reciever. I had issues with radios long ago. (late 80's early 90's when transitioning to narrow band when we still flew AM and FM was just coming out.) I learned then. It was a hard and expensive lesson. 5 times I sent radios and receivers back to the parent company. Everytime for a different problem.

I learned long ago the weak point in my airplanes is the radio system. So I test a new radio for an extended period in a plane I do not care if I lose. If lost, it is then no big deal. This prevent problems like this gentleman had.

If you get mad at a crash then you need to take up something else. Crashes are a part of this Hobby. Yeah it sucks when something new does not work correctly but you can reduce damage and loss if you ''TEST'' new equipment in an airplane that if you lose it your loss is a minimal investment.

Now because of this I have not lost an airplane to Radio Failure since 1998. I have had mechanical failures, structural failures and dumb thumbs but no radio failure. And guess what I do not use expensive radios either. So does money mean quality? Absolutely not. But if you are smart in this hobby, damage can be reduced to a tolerable level.

Some of my planes will fly in excess of 120mph radar gun verified. So I have to know I can trust my radio. I take every precaution and test my equipment in something that is not of much value. It has made my hobby experience much more enjoyable and saved me a boatload of cash.

round of applause!!!! very well put... I too have never lost one due to a junk radio (knock on wood) but have lost many too structral failures( and every one of them was a hangar 9 plane)
Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: AraTidwell

What were you doing using a $50 radio on a $2500 airplane mostly... yah Spektrum branded servo's suck too... Yet another reason I went with the JR 9503!!!

I will put my tried and true $50.00 radio in a $2500.00 dollar airplane in a heartbeat because I know that radio works and I can trust it because that radio has more than 50 flights on it. I NEVER trust a brand new radio.

A new radio off the shelf can or may cause problems at many moment. SO I would put that $500.00 or more radio in a $50.00 plane until it proved to me I could trust it after 50 of more flights.

Anything else would be foolhardy as far as I am concerned. as stated before I learned the hard way many years ago.

I don't know about you but to me without testing a new radio for reliability in a beater plane is just asking for the same problem this thread is all about. It doesn't matter if ten other people in the same club are flying the radio or not. The radio you bought may have a mistake. With out testing you do not know until that expensive airplane is laying all over the ground needing a garbage bag to pick up the pieces.

I would rather be smart and cautious and keep the plane.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Sorry for your losses.......myself along with several individuals in my club have had problems with the AR6200.... i can tell you i will no longer use that particular receiver in anything other than a SPAD. The smallest i use is the AR7000, i havent had any problems as of yet.....and in my more expensive gassers i use the 9000 which has an extra satellite receiver
Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
racelikustolit3k

if I can ask MJ.. what were the problems of the AR6200...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
VKGT

ORIGINAL: Doug47

Have some sympathy for the guy, he lost two airplanes in one day and it sure sounds to me like the radio could be at fault.
It sure could. However, he met with some non-empathetic responses when he started the absurd ''they did it on purpose, they don't care'', ad nauseum.
''''ooh-rah'''' you old ''''Teufel Hunden''''
Back at you ! . That's where we learned about not being a victim. And what a, uh, ''kitty'' was. And wasn't.. Doug

Well, I for one can understand being a little bit heated about a "traumatic" event of sorts so I don't think to much of it. On the flip side, you're all worked up over this as if you work for Horizon or something and are their unofficial smack talker. Maybe it's just the Marine in you that doesn't know how to play nice with the general population....They never untrain you "boots", do they? Go ahead and get fired up, I'm not a civilian anyway so I too understand "what a, uh, kitty, was. And wasn't."

To the original poster, good luck with finding that radio issue. If I can make a suggestion, the 11x will be out soon which means that you may be able to get a good deal on a proven radio like the JR9503 or the 9303. Additionally, sorry to hear about your Lanier, they were a very limited plane and never even made it onto the Lanier website before they were bought out by Tower/Great Planes.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM
mlovitt

Taken right from the DX6i manual -

As Horizon has no control over use, setup, final assembly, modification or misuse, no liability shall be assumed
nor accepted for any resulting damage or injury. By the act of use, setup or assembly, the user accepts all
resulting liability.

One could also argue the point that if you really wanted to, you could have had an insurance policy for your airplanes.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:59 PM
rdcntrl1

ORIGINAL: telejojo

I have a DX7 I use for foamy's and my small cheap planes but my jet and big airplanes I use Futaba FG12.Never would I trust my good planes to a cheap 6 ch. radio.........
i agree with (telejojo) i use my dx6i for indoor foamy's or small planes,i will never,never,never trust spectrum with a high dollor plane ever again, horizon has had my dx6i 3 times now & still crash from ?????brown outs ??? or what ever the want to blame it on,
good luck & buy futaba they have been around for ever !!!

rd
Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 PM
willig10

Hello:
I have a couple of questions to the original poster and his friend.

1. I too am using a DX6i. What is the date stamp on the back that caused the issue?
2. Do you by chance have any pictures of your planes after the accident?
3. Someone said on another post that HH is gonna take care of this? Can you provide details?

As a side note. I have been flying my DX6i for almost a year now. I have not had any issues (knock on wood). I use for 4 airplanes. They are.

Trainer
RV8
Taylorcraft
Morrisey Bravo.

Currently the only planes I fly are the trainer and the RV8. However I have combined, over 50 flights so far and I made sure the failsafe is set ( closed throttle and neutralcontrols). I am curious as to the dateon the Tx because mine does not fall under the recall code.

Last year after I first got my radio I went and performed a range check as per the manual and I pulled the trainer switch and walked the walk and everything checked out. However after returning to the plane after the range check, my airplane lost it's bind. Ihad to rebind it and now I manually put the Tx in range check mode first thengo back and ensure after the range check that the airplane is still bound. This has only happened to meonce but I dont take any chances now.

Sorry to be so long winded. It sounds like your Rx lost it;s bind kinda like mine did. What are your thoughts? Has anyone verified or been able to duplicate the issue? Thanks and if need be you can private e-mail me.

Regards
GlennWilliams [email protected]
Old 05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
DenverJayhawk

my DX6i has worked flawlessly. HH also repaired the trim switches and roller button when they broke for free. I'm using it for an indoor micro heli and a BNF P51BL and never had one issue with bind or brown out. I have about 20 or so flights on the mustang. I was going to switch my Big Stik 60 to it and get a 3D electric from PA or Extreme Flight, but now I'm a little worried. Should I not use my DX6i on a model with about $500 invested? The Stik is on my tried and true HiTec Focus 6ch 72mhz and it's never had a single glitch.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
clok1966

new pilot here. Loss of two planes is horrible, feel for ya no doubt. Only commenting on this thread as it 'sorta' pertains to the delemia we all have when buying equipment. I started late last fall, started very small and cheap (wildHawk), wildhawk's glue was so bad the wings kept folding, but the rouhgly 3 minutes of flight time convinced me.. JUMP IN WITH BOTH FEET. first thing was radio, should i go cheap, should i go expensive? I was looking athte DX6i as ig seemed ideal, good price, no 72 to deal with (crystals, not flying when your number was in use, etc).. But my personal "teacher"  (about 10 years flying) on all things RC had some bad luck with a DX6i and said i should check out the Recall. he didnt say not to get it, just commented he and one other pilot had issues with them. He also mentioned there where quite a few in use at the flying filed with NO PROBLEMS at all, so his advice was basicly " i have seen issues, but most seem to work fine". I went with the DX7 (as I found an incredible deal). I have it set up for about 6 planes (man this sport is addicting) and maybe about 100 flights so far total on all equipment. No problems for me.

I guess what im saying is I feel for ya, but dont see you getting any satisfaction monetary wise.  I would suggest selling the DX6i, but only after full disclosure or as sombody stated, send it in and have them bench it, give it a clean bill of health, then sell it (with clean bill of health included). You should recoup your radio costs and can move into a radio you are happy with. As for the two planes, again, i feel for you, but i think you have to bite the bullet on those.

Even the best pilots crash, and all of them have a reason, seldom there own fault (at least in their minds). With 2 crashs the same i would suspect you are not at fualt and it maybe is the radio.

Good uck with it no matter how it goes, dont let it get you too down,  at least yu didnt cuase the crashs.. might be worse if you put um both in..
Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

Maybe it's just the Marine in you that doesn't know how to play nice with the general population....They never untrain you "boots", do they? Go ahead and get fired up, I'm not a civilian anyway so I too understand "what a, uh, kitty, was. And wasn't."
That's good, and I sure don't take any offense to that whatsoever.
I've been away from the Marine Corps a long time now, I'm a full-timer in the Army Guard and am way,way over phoney inter-service rivalries.
I don't think a lot of people realize just what an ugly mess our economy is and will be in the future. Nearly every major company in this country is hanging by a thread, and regardless of what happened here it's moronic to believe Horizon did anything on purpose...Just flat stupid.
A lot of things can lead to lashing out and bitterness....ED, etc.
Also, the company does have a great reputation for customer service, and if anyone would objectively look at all the whining a that goes on in these threads they'd see that it's not an easy business to be in.
Just as one poster lamenting structural failures in two H-9 airplanes. Really ? You mean the highly experienced builders here can't look at a plane and tell it needs a beefed up horizontal stab before you even fly it ? Come on.
Funny, i had a Corsair my buddy owns now with an O.S. 1.08 I'd fly the crap out of, high speed snaps, outside loops, and it never had a structural failure. Because the stab needed re-inforced before it even flew. Duh. I didn't mind at all. Hey, if people want ARF's built like we all built kits they'd be available..for about 700 bucks.
So no, I don't work for them. My Spectrum radio works great, I fly two heli's and 4 planes on it. All these years of flying (r/c airplanes 20+) I've only had one radio related failure, and that was the aforementioned cold solder joint done by an authorized repair center,who you know what ? They didn't do it on purpose.They sent me a new receiver, and I didn't have the lack of manners to ask for anything further.
It sucks what happened there. There are a whole lot of completely satisfied Spektrum owners though, and i'm just one of them.
Horizon is a good company. If they were gone, they'd be missed ,I'll tell you that. Doug
Old 05-11-2010, 03:13 PM
lilpropslinger

I say yall should stick to the 72 futaba radios. i have been flying with these radios for a while and never any problems. SAWOOTEN, sorry bout your loose. every plane that i own has my whole heart put into them. rather it is a small plane or one of my scale planes, it is still a gutter to loose one. As far as it being your fault for loosing the second one, i dont think so. if it was me and my plane went down like that, i would concider the odds of it being battery or a bad cell or something like that. i would have never thought about the radio being screwy. so i would have done the same thing you done, abd take my second plane up. now i wouldnt fly a 3rd plane tho. as far as HH, i have heard things like this happining before and HH not backing anyone up when it has to do with there faulty equiptment. I wouldnt retire from the hobby. i know you lost alot of money in this deal but  try to get back in the saddle. just be carefull who you do bussnis with. Sorry about the losse of your planes once again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.