Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

Thanks for they reply about what size cells are in the pack,

I ask this because I came across an article in the AMA mag early this(Wish I could remember which issue), anyway it was about the the short service life of AA size cells with more than 1200mah ratings. They concluded that greater than 1200ma could not be packed into a "AA" size cell and give good output, they recommend switching over to atleast a sub C size pack. I exprinced this first hand. I had a couple of good qauilty 6V 2500mah Nimah "AA" packs flew they 2 times on a 72mhz system with no problem. I switched over to the DX6i when it first came out, used the packs in a plane maybe 5 times always recharging with my triton Jr at they end of the day and awlys checked before going flying. After the 6 flight the plane loss control went to the fail sail and then picked the connection again. I landed check the pack with a multie meter and was shocked at what I saw the voltage droped and droped FAST even after one flight. I later read that article and switched over to a 6V 1200 nimh "sub C" pack made by venom. It has been working great for over a year. I mostly fly Deltas and other types of speedy planes my servo count is low so I don't bother with the high mah rated packs. I know you fly big planes I think they are freaking cool. Agree don't agree I don't care IMOP I think the size of they cell is just as important as the Mah rating. Good luck I hope it gets sorted out.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
psuguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

ORIGINAL: mlovitt

Taken right from the DX6i manual -

As Horizon has no control over use, setup, final assembly, modification or misuse, no liability shall be assumed
nor accepted for any resulting damage or injury. By the act of use, setup or assembly, the user accepts all
resulting liability.

One could also argue the point that if you really wanted to, you could have had an insurance policy for your airplanes.
Statements from a vendor absolving themselves of liability have very limited value.
If we accept for the purposes of this post that the damages really did occur as a result of an intermittent fault in the transmitter, then the damage occured from none of "use, setup, final assembly, modification or misuse" so the liability waiver is inapplicable in any event.

I don't own any JR gear at all, but if I'd lost close on to $6,000 to a fault that JR knew about and had admitted to in other units, then I'd be pretty damn angry.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
racelikustolit3k
My Feedback: (73)

ORIGINAL: psuguru

ORIGINAL: mlovitt

Taken right from the DX6i manual -

As Horizon has no control over use, setup, final assembly, modification or misuse, no liability shall be assumed
nor accepted for any resulting damage or injury. By the act of use, setup or assembly, the user accepts all
resulting liability.

One could also argue the point that if you really wanted to, you could have had an insurance policy for your airplanes.
Statements from a vendor absolving themselves of liability have very limited value.
If we accept for the purposes of this post that the damages really did occur as a result of an intermittent fault in the transmitter, then the damage occured from none of ''use, setup, final assembly, modification or misuse'' so the liability waiver is inapplicable in any event.

I don't own any JR gear at all, but if I'd lost close on to $6,000 to a fault that JR knew about and had admitted to in other units, then I'd be pretty damn angry.

AMEN GURU !!!! uh.... you get the man of the hour award... if you werent in the UK, I'd buy you a beer..
Old 05-12-2010, 12:10 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

I saw this thread on the front page and my first thought was "another RCU b(*^&*^ fest..." - the reason why so many long time RCU members leave for other sites. Irregardless I couldn't help myself and started to read. At first I was amazed that it hadn't been locked yet but it seems to be getting constructive now which is good.

I wont even add any more comments to the OP - I think we have beaten to death the fact that his attitude isn't going to help him resolve this. In my mind a couple posts such as doug47's really sum up the fundamental issue. How many RC companies do any of us know that have not had some problem at some time?

Spectrum brownouts
Futaba overhating issues
Futaba RX ID bug
Hitec carbonite gear failures
OS .46 peeling liners
OS .91 overheating
Saitos crappy bearings...
DA50 inverted dead-sticks
BME engine overheating & seizures
3W ignition problems
uncountable numbers of ARF problems like wing failures and folding LG ..

The list goes on and on. But the thing is I've owned probably half of those "effected" products I just listed and in every case either didn't have the problem myself or found a workaround/fix. We have to remember this is a hobby and considering the limited market size and how little we are willing to pay for these products we cant expect aerospace industry level quality control. Heck even world class quality control can miss problems from time to time - just ask Toyota

Another point to consider is the phenomenon that with any product in any industry its the people who have problems that most often post and publish reviews. More often than not the majority with a good experience don't take the time to say so. Easy to get the impression that every product is bad because of that.

~Jeremy
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 PM
VKGT

ORIGINAL: Doug47

I found that I had actually bent the stab tubes (so bad I had to cut them off and beat them out the socket)
Holy cow ! Now that's a guy who was flying the daylights out of his airplane .
When you find something like that what do you boys flying big planes do, replace them with carbon fiber or something stronger ? Doug

Yes, I prefer the carbon fiber from the start. Flying up into the clouds and doing some agressive flying creates excessive wing loading and I think it's better safe than sorry, start with a carbon wing tube.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: nhulsey

Sorry but fact is fact which equals truth. Go through all the threads that have to do with radioes in the past 2 years and anyone can see that Spektrum leads the way in complaints of loosing bind.
You can't say that becasue there are more posts of Spektrum issues they must have more problems proportionally. You don't know how many units of each radio model from each brand are sold. There may be more posts on Spektrum equipment because they've sold a whole heck of a lot of it in the last four years.

To properly make an evaluation of this type, you'd need to know the number of units sold and evaluate as a ratio of number units sold per defect unit.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:16 PM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

Thanks for they reply about what size cells are in the pack,

I ask this because I came across an article in the AMA mag early this(Wish I could remember which issue), anyway it was about the the short service life of AA size cells with more than 1200mah ratings. They concluded that greater than 1200ma could not be packed into a "AA" size cell and give good output, they recommend switching over to atleast a sub C size pack. I exprinced this first hand. I had a couple of good qauilty 6V 2500mah Nimah "AA" packs flew they 2 times on a 72mhz system with no problem. I switched over to the DX6i when it first came out, used the packs in a plane maybe 5 times always recharging with my triton Jr at they end of the day and awlys checked before going flying. After the 6 flight the plane loss control went to the fail sail and then picked the connection again. I landed check the pack with a multie meter and was shocked at what I saw the voltage droped and droped FAST even after one flight. I later read that article and switched over to a 6V 1200 nimh "sub C" pack made by venom. It has been working great for over a year. I mostly fly Deltas and other types of speedy planes my servo count is low so I don't bother with the high mah rated packs. I know you fly big planes I think they are freaking cool. Agree don't agree I don't care IMOP I think the size of they cell is just as important as the Mah rating. Good luck I hope it gets sorted out.
I have never seen a AA size battery with such a large rating. I use sanyo batteries where a rating of 2500mah would be in an A size not AA.

I personally would not trust the rating of a AA size NiMh above 1650 mah.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:30 PM
iflyg450

I wouldn't trust them after what I have read and what happened to me. I made the point becasue the battery packs that were on the plane in question when it went down were
"the pack cells are a sanyo 2300mah aa-r6". I hate to say it but I think this could be the whole problem, I am sure I just made my self the target go ahead folks fire away

Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
racelikustolit3k

sanyo cells I use in all planes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53902.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1434948  
Old 05-12-2010, 01:39 PM
racelikustolit3k

its cool dont duck for cover.. I have driven 15 HITEC 5955tg's in an h9 ulty with these batts on a 2.4 9303 and 921 rx with out a single failure
Old 05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
iflyg450

I will try to find that article in AMA. They have the capacity but I would not trust them to put out the needed voltage for a spektrum system. Take it or leave, I had the exact same thing happen to me I changed the packs I use and the problem never came back even with the same rx and switch ect..
Old 05-12-2010, 01:50 PM
racelikustolit3k

yup to each his own (different stroke for different folks) I'v used em for the past 5 years and on some majorly power hungry planes. I have had servo's burn out and and the packs to the hit until the servo actually quit ( I guess thats how that works ) and they still keep on tickin like a rolex [:-] only if you bought a fake one hehe
Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 PM
HunkaJunk

My catalog must be old as it shows the HR-3U as only available at 1650 mah. I have been using the sanyo HR-AUX 2700 Mah A (50mm tall X 17mm diameter), Flat top (good for soldering) and the Sanyo HR-4/5AU-WT for 2150 mah (43mm tall 17mm dia)

Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

I will try to find that article in AMA. They have the capacity but I would not trust them to put out the needed voltage for a spektrum system. Take it or leave, I had the exact same thing happen to me I changed the packs I use and the problem never came back even with the same rx and switch ect..

I think I saw it too - one of Red's battery articles. The folks at Radical RC give the same recommendations. Basically the deal is that to make the high capacity AAs (2100/2300 and even 2700) they have to make the separators VERY thin to pack in as much electrolyte as possible. This gives a high capacity but on the flip side they cant handle big amp loads. So high discharge rates and anything faster than a wall wart charger kills them quick.

These cells where first marketed for digital cameras etc where long run times on a small (couple hundred mA) load is the goal.

For TXs these big capacity cells are great - especially the Eneloops (which seem to take a quick charge better than other high capacity cells) but I too have had only bad luck with them in RX packs. Thats where A123s shine

Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
iflyg450

I guess your going to chage what you have listed in your profile as your favorite radio
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM
racelikustolit3k

BAAhahahahahahaha ya I guess so huh... I havent changed that junk since I started my profile.. man I guess the packs I have made for me are GOLD or somethin cause I use an H9 double vision to charge em and I just fly em prolly 4 or 5 flight then charge back up 5 years and countin.. and I will be to differ on the "can't take the HIGH DISCHARGE" when I had my ulti, I loved to slam the sticks on that one and just send it tumblin or nice tight rollin stuff. I would be jammin 15 count em 15 digital servos as far as I know the guy that has it is still flying the plane
Old 05-12-2010, 02:18 PM
iflyg450

Nope, You do whatever you want do, what works for you, but to blast a company that has been huge in adavncing this hobby as well as provide other and me GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS WRONG! BOTTOM LINE END OF STORY! You have no idea what caused you wreck! Your using packs that may longer be up to the task. Please you and your friends don't do somthing dumb like sue it just ruins everything for everyone. If you can't handle the loss of a high dollare airplane then don't fly them go with 1/2a or control line or better yet go collect stamps. Or just suck it up Nacy. Everyone here hast lost a plane will more than likley go on loseing oh well life goes on. ALL MODEL AIRPLANE HAVE AN EXPERATION DATE ON THEM
Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 PM
jvg69
My Feedback: (5)

From the very first post on here I had one thought,and some people mentioned it as well. Why would you fly giant scale aircraft with a park flyer radio at best? I won a dx6 at our club meeting over 2 years ago,you know where it is???? Still in the box where it belongs ,because I dont fly park flyers !
JUST MY 2 CENTS ADD IT TO THE ACCOUNT !! (PRETTY SOON YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BUY A REAL RADIO)
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
racelikustolit3k

well like I said from the begining, setups were perfect and flew just fine LIKE THEY HAVE FOR YEARS and then not one but TWO plane sdo the exact same thing.......CHAULK THAT UP TO A FALUTY DX6i and dont get me started on horizion's AWESOME customer service they may handle piddly little stuff like broke MCX or oops I dropped my tx on the tarmac and broke three switches and a gimble. sure there great BUT ME and MANY MANY MANY others have had horrible service when we buy something and it fails like my 35% extra 260 full of 7955's, powerbox, and powerbox lipos and a new da 100 eats dirt after the right wing EXPLODES from a quarter thottle level snap roll and they say YEAH WE HAVE BEEN HEARING ABOUT THAT ISSUE SORRYCANT HELP THANKS FOR SUPPORTING HORIZION HOBBIES that gets under my skin TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
el-John-o

Hey buddy,

Did you have the antenna oriented correctly?  You know, the signal comes out the SIDES of a 2.4GHz transmitter antenna, since both times the crash occurred while low to the ground, if the antenna was straight up, and being pointed at the plane, it could have completely lost a signal.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
iflyg450

I guess a clipped wing DD running a OS 25VD-DF is a park flyer or my YS 45FR powered arcomaster and Mk arrow pattern planes is now a park flyer sweet no more club dues. Don't be a snob what makes this radio a "parkflyer" it does what most glow flyers need. Its only a parkflyer radio if you have linked to park rx.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you saying that the DX6I is a park flier radio system?
I never heard that before.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM
racelikustolit3k

yup sure did said that in an earlier post and 80-100ft isnt really low (I dont think) I have made 5000+ flights with a dx6i and never had a failure and my setups stay consistant.. I have dumb thumbed a few like every other with little damage but never had any of my planes fail like this ITS THE FAULTY DX6i
Old 05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
racelikustolit3k

the dx6i is advertised as a full range system the DX6 is a park flyer
Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
racelikustolit3k

and here we go since were on the subject let define the difference between a GIANT SCALE TX and some thing you WOULDNT FLY A GS ON

this one should be fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.