Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

I'll give you a hint.

Never fly a new radio in an airplane you care about. Keep an old trainer/sport plane around for testing new radio equipment. Fly it like you stole it for 30 flights.
Amen brother...damn good advice.

Sluggo
Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

ORIGINAL: jharkin

I saw this thread on the front page and my first thought was ''another RCU b(*^&*^ fest...'' - the reason why so many long time RCU members leave for other sites. Irregardless I couldn't help myself

~Jeremy
Where else do they go? I know of no other site that is more reasonable, informative, and mature. By the way, irregardless is not a word.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: macmoke1

There's an easy solution. Get away from Spektrum. Their radios are of the poorest quality. Where I live we have people every weekend with Spektrum radios (DX7, DX6i) that scream out ''I ain't got it,'' 72Mhz rarely gets hit, Futaba 2.4 & 72Mhz never a problem. So Its gotta be the Spektrum radio. You couldn't give me one let alone get me to buy one. Try flying a spektrum then switch receivers and put in a Futaba and you'd be amazed at the responsiveness with the Futaba flying the same plane and servo set-up.

Nuf Said!
MacMoke1
Same thing here, "I ain't got it", coming from the pilot screaming his worst nightmare for the crowd to notice the last few seconds of his flight.
Spektrum every time. I've flown 72Mhz for decades. It's really clean these days on almost every channel.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:21 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rambler53

I saw this thread on the front page and my first thought was ''another RCU b(*^&*^ fest...'' - the reason why so many long time RCU members leave for other sites. Irregardless I couldn't help myself

~Jeremy
Where else do they go? I know of no other site that is more reasonable, informative, and mature. By the way, irregardless is not a word.

Lets see... RC Groups, RCScaleBuilder, RunRyder, heliFreak, Flying Giants, Profile Brotherhood, etc to name a few. I'm not going to make any judgment as to any one forum being better than the other as this discussion is probably going to get my post deleted as it is....

BTW Irregardless is a real word, just not commonly used any more: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless
Guess that makes me old

Old 05-12-2010, 08:26 PM
1974hd

Sorry for your lost aircraft Sawooten. I know how mad I would be, however you really can't expect Horizon to replace your aircraft. I personally fly JR 2.4 equipment and fortunately have never had any issues. Based on my experience, Horizon has always given me excellent customer service and I own several of there airplanes other than weak landing gear they are excellent planes. You should definately send your radio in for repair or replacement. Don't let this setback keep you from enjoying flying. Best regards
Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 PM
airtime82
My Feedback: (3)

Aren't jr and spektrum kind of the same company? Just askin'.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 PM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

Sorry for your loss, I have a DX7 and a DX6i and they are working fine. I don’t understand just when you purchased your DX6i but when I picked up mine I knew about the problem. I tested the crap out of it before I even flew my $300 foamie. I use the information on RCU for everything I buy. Everything I have has problems reported on RCU. I do my on testing and then go fly. I like the DX6i but IMHO it is not a Giant Scale radio. Just remove the TX battery cover, the batteries are just clip in. I did not know this and almost took it back, I saw the charger in the box and assumed that it had a NiMH brick. It is a high-end park system. Clips in TX batteries have been tried before and most pilots had complaints about making good contact. I use the DX6i on my small foamies and I am not sure I would use it on a 40 size plane. If you were able to fly for more than a one minutes I would thing you suffered from low voltage on the RX. In my Giant planes I am using the 9 channel with one extra satellite RX. I do have a very old test plane,CAP 21 with a 42 CC gas engine with the 7channel from the DX6i RX and the data is very good using the DX 7 TX and the JR 9303. I also test using the Data logger about 5 flights in the presence of other 2.4 systems. I do use a regulator set a 6 volts with over 7.2 volts on the supply end and double packs.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is anyone out there flying giant scale with this radio?
I have a 1/4 scale cub that I have set up with this radio system.
Did I just waste a bunch of money or what.
I felt comfortable until I started reading this thread.
You guys have me really concerned.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:36 PM
3dsky

I would be more worried about how you have the RX powered up than the TX, If that was my Cub I would use a 6.0 volt Radio South regulator w/safety switch and a Fromeco 2600 mAh Ion battery. Pick up a Data logger and test. If you have a smaller plane test the entire system in something old first. Test it out your self. My Cub has this set up and works great.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:56 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. Anyone else out there? I'm going to try with a 40 size trainer this weekend.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:56 PM
team222badbrad

I too had a problem with my dx6i shortly after getting it. The rudder pot went bad and it wasn't part of the recall...

It caused about $70 worth of damage to my blade 400. Sent the radio in for repair (which was VERY FAST BTW) and I got a "free" park flyer receiver out of the deal when it was returned to me...

My dx6i is used for micros and blade 400 only!

I use Futaba 7chp (Both 72mhz and 2.4ghz) and Hitec Aurora 2.4 for everything else.

I sort of understand why you flew your other plane because I too didn't suspect it was an issue with the radio. I suspected it was a gyro or servo issue not a transmitter issue!

Luckily I discovered it was a radio issue days later when flying my micro's.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
rambler53

Lets see... RC Groups, RCScaleBuilder, RunRyder, heliFreak, Flying Giants, Profile Brotherhood, etc to name a few. I'm not going to make any judgment as to any one forum being better than the other as this discussion is probably going to get my post deleted as it is....

BTW Irregardless is a real word, just not commonly used any more: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless
Guess that makes me old
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless Irrespective and regardless apparently were blended by some according to wiki, all you have to do is pick one.
If you're old, in this hobby, that's a good thing. But seriously, those RC forums are kind of specialized and obscure, you know you love it here the most.

I'm all Futaba guys, I'm done here I guess.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM
jairoblaster
My Feedback: (18)

Just somthing that I figured out the hard way. You can't run nicad or nimh batts you must run lipos with 2.4 systems. The reson is that the other batts don't have a high enoph discarge to keep up with today's equiptment. You batt might be fairly charged but the reciver reads low voltage and goes failsafe. Wich means if you did not go through the correct binding procedure. Your surfaces might seam to go crazy. But in fact they are going where the fail safe was set before you had your aircraft set up wich could be all over the place. I had a 90 size heli just about eat my lunch to learn all this. Please if you run 2.4 do your self a favor and run regulated lipos or it's just a matter of time and you to will be upset.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

at least you weren't shot down on purpose...happened to me
Old 05-12-2010, 10:17 PM
sawooten
My Feedback: (6)

yes JR and spektrum are one and the same.... and I appreciate all the "constructive" posts but to set the record straight once again for all of you that are calling me a brat and cry baby...... HH contacted me the same day I posted this thread and I am in the process of sending the TX and RX to them for inspection and we will see what happens from there...... I didnt just jump on the internet trying to "bash" a company... it was meant as a warning and that is all.....

and the way I look at it is if you cannot build and distirbute a product and stand behind it when you have it malfunctions then you shouldn't be in business in the first place..... it doesnt matter what your producing and selling.... whether its made by hand or by machine.... errors occur and things happen that cause factory flaws and malfunctions..... this happens and all I am saying is if when something like this happens if your just gonna tell the person tough luck we dont cover collateral damages than your not a customer orientated business..... if I was selling a product and something that my manufacturing flaw caused my customers to loose something there hard earned money and savings paid for I would go out of my way to make it right..... what happened to the good old days when the customer came first????? its obvious to me and a lot of people including horizon themselves that the radio is at fault for the crashes.... and the proper thing to do is take care of the customer and replace what you destroyed with something from your own lineup.... both to make the customer happy and to give the company a chance to prove they have good reliable products....... but hey I guess thats all just wishful thinking.....

I am not a spoiled little brat stomping my feet trying to throw a fit..... I spent a year and a half saving up and building these two planes and what good will it do to have a repaired radio and no planes???? especially when if not for there factory flaw or mistake in manufacturing I would still have both my planes....... and I spent many hours on the phone talking to hh's reps and was told more than once "Tough Luck" so this for me was to hope to stop someone else from this happening to them.... and that only.......

so there I have spoken my peace
Old 05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jairoblaster

Just somthing that I figured out the hard way. You can't run nicad or nimh batts you must run lipos with 2.4 systems. The reson is that the other batts don't have a high enoph discarge to keep up with today's equiptment. You batt might be fairly charged but the reciver reads low voltage and goes failsafe. Wich means if you did not go through the correct binding procedure. Your surfaces might seam to go crazy. But in fact they are going where the fail safe was set before you had your aircraft set up wich could be all over the place. I had a 90 size heli just about eat my lunch to learn all this. Please if you run 2.4 do your self a favor and run regulated lipos or it's just a matter of time and you to will be upset.
Not saying that you are mistaken about this at all, but are their known issues of not using lipo's? I've only had my DX7 for a couple of years now and flown countless times on nothing but NIMH's, in fact the only people that I can think of at our club that fly lipos in planes(excluding electric powered a/c) are the ones that are using the big power hungry servos for 3D 50cc and bigger.
Stangevil29
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Gra55h0pper

ORIGINAL: sawooten
and the way I look at it is if you cannot build and distirbute a product and stand behind it when you have it malfunctions then you shouldn't be in business in the first place.....
I agree. HH should check the radio out and replace it under warranty with a new one if found defective.

The planes are unfortunately your loss though. Believe me, I *do* feel very sorry for you, but if vendors would have to pay for consequential damages, they'd have to significantly raise their prices which would then drive many people out of the hobby which in its turn would drive vendors out of the business... It's commonly known that in flying a plane, you're taking a risk as a single point of component failure can result in a crash. Can you imagine a vendor having to replace a $7500 turbine jet because their $1 part (let's say a servo connector) failed?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:10 AM
tonyob

I am not a spoiled little brat stomping my feet trying to throw a fit
You could have worded your original post much differently if you are worried about the impression people get about you from what you say.

Regarding DX7 Spektrum. I've been using one for 2 years now and have had no issues with it. Quite a few guys at our club also use the DX7 and it is well regarded.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 AM
rambler53

I spent a year and a half saving up and building these two planes
Let me just quote my reply from the movie, "The Shining";

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
That was a good flick.

Anyway, if you want Flight Success Guarantee, I only know of one, the Hobbico Nexstar trainer. First, you must be a beginner, have an instructor, fly on an AMA field, and if you crash, get it documented in writing with a signature from your instructor for them to honor your claim. Otherwise, it's just like everything else you buy in this world, it's standard to read disclaimers on liability should a defect occur.

If you can't walk away from it, you're doing it wrong. I invest 2.5 hours of earned income in each of my planes on the average. I can walk away. 18 months of savings would get me a nice used family boat, swimming pool, or a tropical vacation....wait, I'm already here, thanks.

Stop bashing Horizon, they're no different from anyone else. Tough luck is what it is, sorry, didn't you know?

I suggest you either get a sponsor, gear down to something cheaper, or at least, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMP5c5P6bM
share a video, it's all about the value of entertainment.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 AM
geh3

GETFASST...solve all of your radio problems!
AND install a dual redundant battery system like the Duralite GEMINI.
.this little jewel will prevent loss of the Rx due to a bad battery

see>>> https://duraliteflightsystems.com/in...&product_id=89
Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 AM
iflyg450

I am very surprided that HH would not even check the radio out. Early this year I sent 2 AR6200 rx to be recased and 3 to be checked out. I had no recipe for any of the rx. Anyway 4 weeks later I recived 5 AR6200 NIB. Thats CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I sent damaged equipment which I told them it was my fault and they gave me brand new gear. What company does that? I am starting to think your full of it when you say they wouldn't even check it out. So I just got off the phone with HH I asked them if I could send in my transmitter to have it checked out. Guess what they said sure no problem. I am sure when you called you were demanding 6,000 for a new plane or what ever it cost.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
racelikustolit3k
My Feedback: (73)

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

I am very surprided that HH would not even check the radio out. Early this year I sent 2 AR6200 rx to be recased and 3 to be checked out. I had no recipe for any of the rx. Anyway 4 weeks later I recived 5 AR6200 NIB. Thats CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I sent damaged equipment which I told them it was my fault and they gave me brand new gear. What company does that? I am starting to think your full of it when you say they wouldn't even check it out. So I just got off the phone with HH I asked them if I could send in my transmitter to have it checked out. Guess what they said sure no problem. I am sure when you called you were demanding 6,000 for a new plane or what ever it cost.

uh where did you pull that from.....nevermind dont even want to know.. he just said HE IS IN THE PROCESS OF SENDING IT IN
Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
iflyg450

Sorry missed that, They will take care of it if their is a problem. I doubt they would do anything for the plane. Maybe someone could come up with Model airplane insurance. For me I will just stick with the simple planes. Plaese post what they find is wrong with the radio. Being a 6i user I would really like to know. I know will be thinking about it this Sunday []
Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man I can feel for you. My sympathies go out to you.

Being a flyer from way back. We normally take all new radios and test fly them in a old "beater" plane we don't care too much about, if it crashes. I have found bad or defective radio equipment doing that before too. we would even test new servos out first on a rudder channel (least likely to result in a crash) for a while too. Battery packs and on/off switches were also suspect until proven.

The only thing I can see HH doing for warranty is checking out the TX and RX equipment and repairing or replacing it as needed. it would be nice if they were liable for crash damage, but no one else replaces planes and stuff from a crash. There is no way to tell, without actually being there what was happening.

As a interesting thought I had about it. What about the antenna orientation and placement inside the airplanes?  it is possible to have the antennas blocked by the engine and or battery pack, etc. Which could result in a loss of signal at certain plane position attitudes. Or with a lot of carbon fiber in the way, like from a CF fuselage for example, CF would block the radio signal from the TX.
On another forum a guy was having radio problems, and he had wrapped the two antenna wires up neatly on both sides of the 2,4ghz RX and tied it all down inside the fuselage. That led to him having a huge shadow or blind spot behind the engine and battery. So that when the plane was flying towards him, it would lose the signal from the TX. he got lucky though and was able to save the plane.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jairoblaster

You can't run NiCd or NiMH batteries with YOUR 2.4ghz radio systems, perhaps. I've been flying Airtronics 2.4Ghz radio equipment for over two years without a single brownout, glitch, or lockout occuring while using 4.8v 600Mah NiCd receiver packs.

Airtronics 2.4Ghz receivers like the 92824 operate down below 2.0 volts; far below the level where most standard servos would quit operating.

yes JR and spektrum are one and the same...
No, they're not the same. JR is a manufacturer of high quality radio equipment. Spektrum is a brand owned by Horizon Hobbies, JR's North American distributor. JR manufactures Spektrum radio equipment for Horizon Hobby, presumably to lower standards requirements than JR's own brand name equipment.

Horizon markets JR Radio products in North America, and markets Spektrum branded equipment world wide. JR is distributed in the European and Asian markets by different distributors.

Spektrum and JR equipment looks similar because both brands are manufactured by JR. The specifications and the distribution/warranty channels are often different. Here in North America, where Horizon Hobby distributes both product lines, they seem much more similar than in other parts of the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.