Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

DON MUDDIMAN FLYING MACHINE SHORT KIT BUILD

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

DON MUDDIMAN FLYING MACHINE SHORT KIT BUILD

Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DON MUDDIMAN FLYING MACHINE SHORT KIT BUILD

Recently Don Muddiman had some short kits of his Flying Machine produced and available for sale. I, along with several others, bought one of the short kits. This thread is for any of those wishing to share their build of the Flying Machine. Don's web site is here: www.eagle-i.us/fm

Below is a picture of my first day's progress on the fuse.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DON MUDDIMAN FLYING MACHINE SHORT KIT BUILD

You bringing it up for the speed rally next year?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:07 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lazer Works says the short kit was no longer available. Is it available through Don's web site? Looks like a fun throw around plane.
John
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 AM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: vicman

You bringing it up for the speed rally next year?
I didn't notice that you had a "NOVICE" portion to your event
Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 AM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Lazer Works says the short kit was no longer available. Is it available through Don's web site? Looks like a fun throw around plane.
John
Part way down his web page(the link in post #1 above) is a buy it now for the short kit. As I understand it, Don had several short kit sets cut and is selling them.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original kit, by the way, had a sheeted foam wing w/carbon fiber reinforcement (sandwiched between the sheeting and the foam for the full length on the top and bottom of the wing). The short kit will create the built-up wing. I am ordering my kit this weekend, and I think I may try to cut a foam wing (or two) for mine and build it more like the original was. I preferred the foam wing as it was super stiff.

Dave

By the way, does the price on Don's site include shipping?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 PM
airbusdrvr

At checkout there is an additional amount for shipping. I think it is about $7 or $8 but it is Priority Mail so it arrives very quickly after shipment.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

just picked one up, been eyeing this for years, need one in the kit que.

Thanks,
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

I received my short kit this week, I won't be able to start it for a month or so due to work. I got to see Don fly his in Ida Grove back in the 80's. I hope I can fly 10% as good as him
Ed
Old 11-11-2010, 08:23 PM
airbusdrvr

More work done on the fuse and will be starting the wing tomorrow. I have an idea for running the servo extensions to the two wing aileron servos. If it works, I will post pictures later this weekend. On a bigger airfoil, one can clamp the ribs together and then drill a hole through all of them for a tube to be inserterd through which the servo extensions are run. The ribs for the FM wing, in my opinion, are to small to risk drilling a hole through. I'll see if my idea works in the next couple of days.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 PM
airbusdrvr

A bit of progress the last several days. First, some pictures of how I made a tunnel for the servo extensions needed for two wing mounted aileron servos. The basic wing and fuse are finished. I'm using a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 40 landing gear and so far am planning to use an OS 55 AX for power. In addition to the servo extension tunnel built into the wing, I added a second 1/4"X1/4" strip inside the wing along side the 1/4"X1/4" TE strip. This will add extra strength to the area where the aileron hinges are attached.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
daven

Good progress. I can't believe it, I ordered it on thursday and it showed up in the mail today.

Great service!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Teymour
My Feedback: (15)

I have a question that I have been wanting to ask , now that we have a thread on this build. When I built my progressive kit, The nose of the plane was too short to house the motor. I powered mine with a Mvvs quickee motor. I had to add about 3/4 of an inch to the nose. Is this normal? I was under the impression that all 40 sized motors were about the same in size. In some of the pics I have seen of other Flying Machines there is a gap between the nose and the spinner..in others there is no gap. did I make a mistake when building my kit that caused this? The reason I ask is that I will be building one of the short kits and I do not want to make the same mistake again.

ps..yes the motor is pushed back as far as possible on the mount.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 PM
airbusdrvr

It will be a while before I get to the cowl on the FM. However, I will describe the technique that I use. Mount the motor. Make four or five 1/8" wide strips of 1/16" balsa about 1/2" long. CA these evenly around the circumference on the aft side of the spinner back plate. Now center the cowl nose ring on these little strips and CA in place. Mount the spinner back plate and nose ring to the motor. Build your cowl as necessary mate with the nose ring. Once completed and sanded, your cowl and spinner will be perfectly spaced and centered.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 PM
ovationdave

Does your motor look as if it would fit from the dimensions that are on the plans? You should be able to take a simple measurement from the back of the motor to the mounting flange of hte prop and see if its going to fit from just the plans? Correction: my Rossi 45 fit fine.

Dave
Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM
airbusdrvr

Some progress. The landing gear, wing and motor are mounted.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: Teymour

I have a question that I have been wanting to ask , now that we have a thread on this build. When I built my progressive kit, The nose of the plane was too short to house the motor. I powered mine with a Mvvs quickee motor. I had to add about 3/4 of an inch to the nose. Is this normal? I was under the impression that all 40 sized motors were about the same in size. In some of the pics I have seen of other Flying Machines there is a gap between the nose and the spinner..in others there is no gap. did I make a mistake when building my kit that caused this? The reason I ask is that I will be building one of the short kits and I do not want to make the same mistake again.

ps..yes the motor is pushed back as far as possible on the mount.
Today while trial fitting the cowl parts I noticed that the supplied laser cut parts are going to be to short to fit my 55AX motor. However, I should point out that most of the kits I have built have required some adjustments to the supplied cowl balsa. So this is really not unusual. I will just use some of my balsa sheet supply to cut appropriately sized parts.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM
ovationdave

Finally got my kit ordered today. I will see how long it takes to get to Michigan from Fl. Looking forward to it, I may try another Rossi .45, anyone used one of the later models? Its now AXE Rossi? You can still find the .45's new.

Dave
Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
daven

I bet it will be there Monday latest
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM
ovationdave

ORIGINAL: daven

I bet it will be there Monday latest

Wow. Your good! I just got it today, even came with some "Flying machine" graphics. (or so it seemed, my wife got it for me for an x-mas gift since she never knows what I want, and I got a quick look at the contents). Very cool....looking forward to getting this going for spring. Thats OK, I have that Direct Connection F-20 Tigershark to finish up before I get going on it anyway. (pic included)
Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 PM
airbusdrvr

It is starting to take shape. I did the initial CG check today and it may be an ounce or two nose heavy. The battery will most like have to go in the tail. Putting the OS 55AX in the nose with a 2 1/4" spinner reminded me of what Dolly Parton's dad is supposed to have commented about Dolly's overly endowed figure. "It's hard to put 10 pounds of flour in a 5 pound sack." Minus pushrods and covering, it weighs just at 4lbs.

Well the picture goblin finally got to me. I have seen others post pictures that displayed very large. It is anoying trying to view them. Now it happened to me for the first time. How does this happen?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 PM
ovationdave

LOL, yeah, I stuck an AX55 in that DC F-20 tigershark too, look at the thin nose on that thing, that was fun (NOT). I am sure its a tight fit, but it should be a good match. Not sure what to tell you on the pictures, I know that I just posted mine and it showed the thumbnails automatically?!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 AM
airbusdrvr

The plane is basically finished. A few tweaks left such as engine runs to decide whether to use the Macs or standard muffler and which prop. The plane has the OS 55AX with HS 485HB standard servos for elev and rud. HS82MG servos are used for each aileron and an HS81 servo for the throttle. A Hayes 8oz tank was used. The total weight came out at 4 1/2 lbs. The CG is at 3" aft of the leading edge using the Macs muffler. Don has 3" aft of leading edge written in his assembly maual for the CG and the plans measure 3 1/8" aft of leading edge. So I think for initial flights it should be fine at 3".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xv64732.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	637.2 KB
ID:	1529622   Click image for larger version

Name:	ie98181.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	649.8 KB
ID:	1529623   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb74697.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	608.8 KB
ID:	1529624  
Old 12-03-2010, 06:31 AM
daven

Nice job, finished it up quick!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
airbusdrvr

Here are a couple of pics of the few little things I did differently from the plans. I mounted the aileron servos in the wing, the battery is mounted in a removable compartment in the aft fuse to balance the OS 55AX motor and the tail wheel is installed without the wire being permanently mounted in the rudder.

OH GOSH, IT DID IT AGAIN. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY SOMETIMES PICTURES UPLOAD NORMALLY AND THEN SOMETIMES THEY UPLOAD "HUGE?" I'd love to know why this happens. AND, THEY DON'T DISPLAY IN THE ORDER THAT THEY WERE SELECTED[][]Moderator???? I'm using the "Beta" option to load pics.

I just used the old picture upload method and the pics still come out HUGE[][]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29127.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1529768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55500.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	1529769   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28637.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	1529770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45273.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	1529771  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.