Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You sound like me, working on a Jr(off and on as time allows) and modifying the heck out of it
Old 12-22-2015, 10:05 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have been doing the same with their Cub. Built the first one with no mods, other than a non traditional paint scheme, and stuck an FA-100 GK on its nose. Was going to make a second set of wings, clipped version, so bought the wing kit, built a wing, and just for kicks, put it on the bottom of the Cub, Lo and Behold, my next project. So now I have a second Cub, in traditional Cub yellow, but as a Stagger Wing Bipe. I think when its finished it will be an excellent looking flying machine. At the point now on trying to determine which ailerons to lock down, top or bottom.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:10 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I want pictures! I got to see this Staggerwing Cub!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:03 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Oh heck yeah! gotta be cool!

Now who is gonna be the first to do a stagger wing Kadet?

4 ailerons. Rolls faster than you can count "em. Around mid 90's I modded an 2nd 3rd hand???? biplane I bought originally built in the mid 60's with a cross scavenged .60 for power. I put a ST .90 in the nose and and and cut into the back of the top to add full size ailerons slaved from the bottom pair. Man oh man what a hot dog. Insane roll rate. I could out roll my wingeron slope glider. Wingerons are the whole painless rotate. A solid round carbon fiber rod is is both the wing joiner and the rotation center. You want a lot expo on those channels. My slope buddy went one step farther and also used the wing panels as elevator. Pitcheron's. No external control surface connect whatsoever, and nothing to the tail at all. Man that thing was fast! Pitch was about average, maybe a bit less, but wicked roll.

I have never seen a power plane set up with wingerons or pitcherons. Be pretty cool though. The mechanism would need to be more vibration resistant than what we used for gliders. I did Start a wingeron racer for the race class we had for .25 engines. Moved and never got back to it. MMMM I still got the fuse. Pitcheron controlled Kadet? Still got the control mechanism but no carbon rod. I think it might be 1/2" rod. Uh never mind for now.

Ken
Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to the Biper Cub thread, here,, on RCU.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:07 AM
acdii

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...l#post12095535

For some reason most of the pics in that thread are gone
Old 12-22-2015, 11:16 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Oh heck yeah! gotta be cool!

Now who is gonna be the first to do a stagger wing Kadet?

4 ailerons. Rolls faster than you can count "em. Around mid 90's I modded an 2nd 3rd hand???? biplane I bought originally built in the mid 60's with a cross scavenged .60 for power. I put a ST .90 in the nose and and and cut into the back of the top to add full size ailerons slaved from the bottom pair. Man oh man what a hot dog. Insane roll rate. I could out roll my wingeron slope glider. Wingerons are the whole painless rotate. A solid round carbon fiber rod is is both the wing joiner and the rotation center. You want a lot expo on those channels. My slope buddy went one step farther and also used the wing panels as elevator. Pitcheron's. No external control surface connect whatsoever, and nothing to the tail at all. Man that thing was fast! Pitch was about average, maybe a bit less, but wicked roll.

I have never seen a power plane set up with wingerons or pitcherons. Be pretty cool though. The mechanism would need to be more vibration resistant than what we used for gliders. I did Start a wingeron racer for the race class we had for .25 engines. Moved and never got back to it. MMMM I still got the fuse. Pitcheron controlled Kadet? Still got the control mechanism but no carbon rod. I think it might be 1/2" rod. Uh never mind for now.

Ken
Considering its a basic Cub frame and wing supports, I think the last thing I would want is to stress it out with wicked rolls. My first Cub I had to beef up the wing attachments as they both cracked from stress. I copied the reinforcements to this plane as well. When it is done I can fly it as a standard Cub, or a Stagger Wing. I just have to figure out how best to transport the wings as a unit, experience with this particular Cub is the strut screws will work themselves loose if they are not lock tighted. Since the bottom wing uses the upper wing struts as reinforcement, thats the last thing I want coming loose in flight.

What I am considering is to cover the bottom ailerons as normal, but after attaching them, seal them to the wing with strips of cloth to immobilize them. This way if I decied I want to use them in the future, all I need to do is open the servo bay, install the servos, and cut away the fabric around the ailerons. This would give me the option of making the bottom ailerons as spoilerons or flaperons as needed. My flying Cub takes very little to stay airborne, when I try to do a 3 point at idle, it climbs. If the Biper has the same tendency, it would be a PITA to land as it wont want to come down until it stalls. If it does that then I will need the lower ones to add some drag, or reduce lift.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

If you stop and consider wing load a staggerwing Cub must really be a floater.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:23 PM
acdii

Other than the added weight of the clipped lower wing, its the same as my other cub, without the black and gold engine. I think a 5' runway will be all I need to take off from.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:29 PM
TomCrump

If you stop and consider wing load a staggerwing Cub must really be a floater.
Maybe clipping the wings would be in order.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:39 AM
buzzard bait

I have found that the pitch of the prop really affects landing. A fine pitch gives lower speeds, better control and a shorter approach. I like a 14x4 on my OS 70 pulling a Four Star 60. If going to the Saito 100 means using more pitch I'd stick with the 70. CG matters too, of course. A balance point that is best for flying can result in float for some planes. But a low pitch prop should fix that. With all that wing area and no change in the stab area, you might want the CG a little more forward. Of course, you will have to move the balance point forward because of the lower wing position too. The drag of having four wing tips should help landings too.

Jim
Old 12-27-2015, 08:26 AM
acdii

thats the one part I haven't figured out yet, the CG, most likely the CG will fall somewhere between the single wing CG and the leading edge of the top wing. That falls about where the lower wing spar sits.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:54 AM
buzzard bait

Two things changed:

1. The extra wing increases the total wing area, but the stab area and tail moment arm are the same. That means the stabilizing force has decreased compared with the destabilizing force. That requires a more forward CG.

2. The lower wing is forward from the top wing, so that also moves the CG forward.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Dwayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming along nicely, hard to believe something so big came out of a box so small...lol I like the way I did the front wing mounts, first time I've done front wing mounts with bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1241.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	2138559   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1242.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	2138560  
Old 01-01-2016, 09:38 AM
aliraminghe

new year and the Kadet Senior kit is flying, here is the video from this morning maiden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZHTIyrKigA

Carlo
Old 01-01-2016, 10:11 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Very nice Carlo!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:46 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by aliraminghe
new year and the Kadet Senior kit is flying, here is the video from this morning maiden

Carlo
Nice vid !

What size motor are you using ?
Old 01-02-2016, 07:26 AM
aliraminghe

Hi Tom, the motor is a Turnigy EasyMatch 46 420 kv with a 15x6 APC E and a Turnigy 4S 5000 MAh 20C

Wattmeter says around 20 A so very little wattage.

Further elevator has to be fixed to avoid nose down as now it is flat with the botton of tail

Please consider this is my first electric airplane as I usually fly with electric sailplanes, so any hint (like for the building in this thread) will be more than well accepted

Carlo
Old 01-02-2016, 08:16 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well done Carlo!! Nice looking, great performance. Wonderful way to start the new year.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:46 AM
TomCrump

Hi Tom, the motor is a Turnigy EasyMatch 46 420 kv with a 15x6 APC E and a Turnigy 4S 5000 MAh 20C

Wattmeter says around 20 A so very little wattage.

Further elevator has to be fixed to avoid nose down as now it is flat with the botton of tail

Please consider this is my first electric airplane as I usually fly with electric sailplanes, so any hint (like for the building in this thread) will be more than well accepted

Carlo
Thanks.

I flew my Kadet Sport ARF on a 32 sized motor, on 4 S. It flew well, but I wanted a little more zip. I put in a 52 size, also on 4 S, and now, I never fly above half throttle.

Your building skills look fine, but if you have questions, the guys in this thread will be happy to help.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

Carlo
She is beautiful Carlo! She flies like a dream and those flaps really bring her down nice!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:12 PM
jsparky

Default my lt-40 build

I would like to throw my hat into this ring now with the competition of my Lt.. done in white red and carbon fibre for the black areas. many upgrades and mods. none of the supplied decals were used.. everything cut from H9 covering on my vinyl cutter

power >>>>>> evolution 10GX2 pumped carb
AUW >>> >>>>8 lbs
Balanced at >> 4 inches as is

Name:	pic (69).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	624.3 KB
ID:	2140761   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic (71).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	675.4 KB
ID:	2140762   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic (72).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	670.8 KB
ID:	2140763  
Old 01-10-2016, 04:28 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Great looking LT40, I'm very interested in hearing how you like the Evolution 10 for power on this plane. I'd also love to see some pics of your gas tank and ignition locations.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:31 PM
jsparky

Originally Posted by rtn9105
Great looking LT40, I'm very interested in hearing how you like the Evolution 10 for power on this plane. I'd also love to see some pics of your gas tank and ignition locations.
Thou has asked and thou shall receive

So far I like the engine .. on the first start the pumped carb had no problem drawing the fuel from the tank located on the CG in the main cabin area. The tank had to be moved back to this spot because the ignition is where the tank should be.. and since the tank is moved back the throttle servo was moved forward. the only problem so far is that I am getting some random servo movement in the throttle servo.. tried to isolate it by installing a BEC.. and then by a second battery.. but still get random movement.. the throttle servo may have to be moved again or maybe just replaced.. as it is mounted right above the ignition module

The tank is mounted in the bottom in dense foam and I use the evolution fibre clunk in the tank.. the vent line goes down out the bottom of the fuse and there is a fill and drain line to the front and the fuel supply line to the engine.. then a layer of foam and a battery, a layer of foam and then a sheet of ply wedged under the installed side rails to hold it all down.. pretty simple and easy to get to if needed..

measured on a scale she had 6 1/2 lbs of pull... 12x6 APC prop

Name:	20160110_201434.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	2140794   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic (53).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	696.1 KB
ID:	2140795   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic (55).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	614.3 KB
ID:	2140796  
Old 01-10-2016, 05:47 PM
jsparky

Default my lt build

the biggest kick of this whole thing was that I always liked the look of the Lt and even though I fly some stupid over power stuff.. I like the Lt... crazy..

Well as fate would have it.. buddy of mine found this at the local value village store with a price of 9.99 on it... what a laugh... so he got it for me and I of course paid him for it.. and then had a lot of fun building it.. I love to build and restore old models.. and since I had no serious wrecks this year that needed rebuilding this fit into the picture just fine..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.