Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Mike Gretz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glen Sig traded the Miniplane after a couple summers for a Pitts Special. The Miniplane went to Illiniois. A number of years later someone sent me a picture of it tied outside at an airport in terrible condition. It also lived in Omaha for a while. Looking the N-number up on the FAA register this morning I see that it still exists and is now up in northern Iowa and the registration was renewed two years ago. Hopefully that's a good sign that it is, or has been, redone and is being cared for. It was a cute little airplane!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Gretz
mike109
Great story about a great airplane. Thanks for posting it. I hope the kid is still flying R/C.

spaceworm
Now I see it! Missed that in the first picture. That's the old "SIG Mini-Air Force" emblem that I designed way back in 1974. The story of how that emblem came to be is a bit unusual. Glen Sig bought a homebuilt Smith Miniplane, all built and ready to fly. On each side of the airplane, just below the cabane struts, was the logo of the EAA club the seller belonged to - the "Jerseyville Brew Angels" - see pic below of the airplane at EAA Fly-In in 1968. Thinking that even if we could get that emblem off without damaging the paint underneath, there would still be a very visible difference in the white paint - unfaded where the emblem had been, UV faded everywhere else. So Glen tasked me with coming up with a new emblem that would lay right over the old. Thus the "SIG Mini-Air Force" emblem size and shape. Glen and Hazel ended up putting the new emblem on all their aerobatic airshow airplanes (except Hazel's Clipped Wing Cub, which pre-dated this emblem).

SIG still sells a decal sheet of various sizes of the emblem. Looks like someone had a spare to add to this child's toy.

Mike

What a great story. It's always nice to know the back story on things and how they came to be.

I grew up in Iowa in the 70s and 80s and remember coming to the Sig factory on a tour several times. I remember that each time we had the opportunity to purchase a kit after it was over. It was fun looking at all the kits there for sale and getting to choose just one. I still have an old VHS video put out by you guys showing the factory that I bought on one of those tours in maybe 1986 or so.

Brian
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike
Just how long have you been with SIG, I remember a great bunch of people there in 76 when I had a hobby shop here. I enjoyed talking to Glen and Hazel when I placed an order. Just wondering did you ever take orders then .
Larry K
The Old K&K Hobbies
Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Hey Mike didn't the Mini give birth to the bipe kit SIG still offers? I remember the SIG catalogue from back then it was my favorite wish book growing up!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:36 AM
JollyPopper

This is a highly modified Kadet Senior. Ailerons (HUGE ones) were added, the tail feathers greatly enlarged and the engine set in place and the cowl built around it. It is an OS .91FS. This thing is an absolutely marvelous flier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0719.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1940598   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0716.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1940599  
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bchapman
What a great story. It's always nice to know the back story on things and how they came to be.

I grew up in Iowa in the 70s and 80s and remember coming to the Sig factory on a tour several times. I remember that each time we had the opportunity to purchase a kit after it was over. It was fun looking at all the kits there for sale and getting to choose just one. I still have an old VHS video put out by you guys showing the factory that I bought on one of those tours in maybe 1986 or so.

Brian
Outstanding story, Mike, and really a history lesson of sorts. Geez, they actually have a decal sheet of the emblem - I've been missing something.

Hey guys! Looks like I'm going to be out-of-touch for a few weeks - family situation that's going to involve a rather long road trip to upstate NY. FlyerInOKC and Jim Branaum have agreed to fill in for me while I'm gone. Will let all y'all know when I'm back "with the world".

Dave
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, thanks for the story on Glen's Miniplane. 'Fullsize' airplanes are my second hobby and how I make a living. The Smith Mini has long been one of my favorites among little biplanes, Glen's being one of the best looking examples ever built in my opinion. I had often wondered if it was still around, and if so, could it be acquired. I've been tempted to order a Sig Miniplane kit several times, and actually dug up a set of Sig plans I could scratch build off of, but at some point I have to just save my nickels and build a fullsize one.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Live Wire

Luckt rat!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

We give our "WELCOME TO THE B'HOOD" to all y'all!!!! This is as of today.

GaryHarris 1
soarrich 2
N1EDM 3
Live Wire 4
5skyhawk172 5
zippome 6
shepard62 7
DeferredDefect 8
archie05 9
tomgreen 10
n2ryd 11
race61 12
Slavko 13
lkruse 14
flyingagin 15
JPNYGAARD 16
foodstick 17
ovationdave 18
joebahl 19
WI53072 20
huck1199 21
Top_Gunn 22
Nergall 23
acdii 24
hutchis 25
ddewey 26
dhal22 27
Thomas Pham 28
cubkadet 29
Greg Davis 30
CanDo 31
gva1956 32
metaldriver 33
Bladejunkie 34
New222 35
cubflyman 36
dasquirrelisme 37
Planejaw 38
usc1990 39
cjet 40
Murphey 41
Sandyt 42
planedriver_2 43
PT19 44
TimHendrix 45
jessiej 46
Mr-Punk 47
rccrasher65 48
FMAY 49
Hrannar 50
Razor44 51
Ken Kehlet 52
oldfartpilot 53
Soaring Steve 54
freefall2907 55
fix-n-fly 56
SigMan 57
eroc144 58
nextofkin 59
ALT 60
jstyle13 61
WYDAH 62
stupidscreenname 63
coxco 64
TunnelBill 65
mike109 66
beevo 67
Lowvoltage 68
skylark-flier 69
hugh durden 70
Cloud Cruiser 71
SIGPlanes 72
rexperk 73
M. Boesen 74
whatwheel 75
paulhold 77
groundstrike 78
adreliable661 79
earlwb 80
Unclebuck21228 81
malitape 82
Dave Holmes 83
Carlos G 84
kingranch 85
Red Kadet 86
dirtrod 87
t4 88
FlyerInOKC 89
DELTAFLY 90
sharpe917 91
jollyroger 92
Cliffc 93
captinjohn 95
spaceworm 96
EvanB 97
Major Tomski 98
Jim Branaum 99
WLM189 100
skyraider71 101
rc lifer 102
NM2K 103
terrysigcolt 104
plane-o-joe 105
BobFE 106
FLAPSDOWN 107
scttsprg 108
sbrillha 109
Mike Gretz 110
skyrat71 111
lumppi 112
bchapman 113
scoooper 114
Jolly Popper 115

Please, PLEASE let me know if I've screwed up anywhere. Or let FlyerinOKC know that I blew it.

Last edited by Jim Branaum; 11-20-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Mike Gretz

Live Wire
I've been with SIG since 1972. Always in R&D. Never took phone orders.

FlyerInOKC
Yes, we made a .45 size "sport scale" version of Glen's Miniplane. Still have it in the kit line.

skyrat71
I'm curious too about the current condition of the airplane. FAA n-number search shows that it is currrently in Humbolt, Iowa. Don't know if it's assembled or in storage.

Mike G
Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

I considered building a FARS 103 complaint airplane at one time while I was out of the hobby. Then I realized I could go back into R/C and build a number of airplanes for the cost of one full size aircraft so here I am. I also have the advantage of walking away from every landing regardless of whether or not the plane survives. I just have to keep the fingers, hands. toes, and assorted other body parts away from the shredder mounted on the front! That's a full time job as far as I'm concerned!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I considered building a FARS 103 complaint airplane at one time while I was out of the hobby. Then I realized I could go back into R/C and build a number of airplanes for the cost of one full size aircraft so here I am. I also have the advantage of walking away from every landing regardless of whether or not the plane survives. I just have to keep the fingers, hands. toes, and assorted other body parts away from the shredder mounted on the front! That's a full time job as far as I'm concerned!
After a real nasty and scary partial panel situation and an FAA employee who used to be a club member running a full scale investigation on me (out of spite?) I pretty much let my rider scale stuff go.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 AM
Mike Gretz

When Hazel Sig and Maxey Hester owned SIG one of their dreams was to make a FULL-SCALE homebuilt KADET SENIOR. It would have been a terrific 2-place homebuilt. But alas, it never happened.
Llike we all know; "So many airplanes to build, so little time."
Old 11-21-2013, 05:25 AM
Mike Gretz

By the way - and I promise to not use this forum for SIG commercials in the future - but I wanted to make sure all you Kadet brothers know about the new taildragger Senior ARF we will be bringing out early next year. You can read about it on our web site (www.sigmfg.com) and our Facebook page (search for SIG Mfg Co).

I am super excited about this project! As you all know so well, people have been converting Kadets to taildragger for decades.

Here's a short video of the new KADET SENIOR SPORT
http://youtu.be/Lyqr5fODFGU
Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would have loved to seen that full scale Senior built,
I wish you guys all the success in the world. My family is from that area, and some still live in Monty. The first time I saw a RC airplane was about 1969/1970 at an event at the Montezuma field. I was real young and can still recall seeing a big (to me ) biplane just behind a fence. I bet I built a whole tree worth of balsa gliders over the years as a kid. I always credit that event and the John Wayne movie where he is in command of the Flying Tigers for making me an airplane addict !
Old 11-21-2013, 06:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good looking airplane Mike! How many colors will you be offering? I always liked the green and white combo on the Rascal C. I built my Rascal C kit to match with the exception of using gold pen stripes instead of silver pen stripes. I need to repair it, I had a duck strike take it out.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Lowvoltage

I have a kadet senior wing kit on back-order at Sig, and just emailed Becky to see if she could send me the new Sport instead. Her reply was yes. I think using a wing tube will help stop the problem of separation at the root rib. It will be interesting to see how Sig connects the tail wheel to the rudder servo so it can steer.

Last edited by Lowvoltage; 11-21-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hey Mike!

Any chance in a new kit coming out? How about a reintroduction of Max's old Ryan STA kit? Have you seen how fast the old vintage kits sell at a premium price when they show up here or on Ebay? There has to be enough demand to support bringing this kit back. SIG already has the design and it wouldn't take much to convert it to laser cut. I know I would buy at least one kit if not more. As you can see from my signature there is already a Ryan brotherhood I know would support it. Run it up the ladder and see what the bosses say, a lot of people are starting to tire at ARFs and are ready to try building.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:27 PM
skyrat71

Look at some of the pictures posted with this thread I see a lot of aileron conversions on Sr.s and Senoritas. How many of you use flaps too? I modified my Senorita with separate ailerons and flaps. Not just plain hinged ones either, but offset hinged ailerons and slotted flaps. I kindda wish I hadn't now. Getting a set of control surfaces I'm happy with built up has stalled this project for over a year.

Not to get to far off subject, but I had a question for Mike that was already touch upon. I would love to see some of the older Sig kits reintroduced, especially the Kommander.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by skyrat71
I modified my Senorita with separate ailerons and flaps. Not just plain hinged ones either, but offset hinged ailerons and slotted flaps. I kindda wish I hadn't now. Getting a set of control surfaces I'm happy with built up has stalled this project for over a year.
BTDT and didn't even like the results! In fact it turned into one of my biggest flops. The ONLY saving grace for it was that my friend suggested it to me, so it was all his fault!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM
skyrat71

In my original Senior's final incarnation I chopped the wings and added short span, wide chord ailerons that also proved to be a disappointment. They produced a slight roll and an obscene amount of adverse yaw. I never had a chance to really tune them in or get it trimmed right before a broken elevator push-rod finally finished her off in a spectacular explosion of balsa and monokote. It was a very poorly executed installation though and I was hoping to improve upon them a bit.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:14 AM
Mike Gretz

foodstick
As long as you "credit" the SIG Fly-In and John Wayne instead of blaming us for your addiction, we'll consider it a good thing.

FlyerInOKC
Initially the new Senior Sport will be in the same trans. red & white, and trans. blue & white we've been using.

I'm sure it was the duck's fault. If you want to tell the whole story, I'd love to hear it.

Lowvoltage
Here's a link to the new Senior Sport instruction manual. See pages 9-10 for the steerable tailwheel installation.
http://members.zumatel.net/flysig/RC...Manual_WEB.pdf

skyrat71 and FlyerInOKC
Bless your kit building hearts. But do you guys know that us kit builders are quickly becoming extinct dinosaurs? If SIG had to rely on kit sales to survive, we'd be gone. Very few hobby shops carry kits, or even balsa wood, nowadays. Kit sales are less than 2% of what they were twenty years ago. As a 45+ year kit builder it's sad to see, but that's the way it is.

The vast majority of today's model "flyers" were raised on foamy RTFs and "receiver ready" ARFs. Let me tell you a quick story from last year's Toledo Show. Two guys, obvious flying buddies, walked up and were looking at our new T-Clips ARF. One of them was super interested.
What turned out to be his last question was; "Does it come with the servos installed?".
I said; "No, this is a traditional balsa wood ARF."
His buddy elbowed him in the arm and said; "This is one of those ARFs. You gotta build those."

I was speechless as they walked away. That's what we're dealing with in today's R/C market. I'd like to think that these guys were the exception, but I know they are quickly becoming the norm. Before long "traditional ARFs" will be the dinosaurs that kits are now.

All that aside, SIG is working on a new kit project, a whole new kit concept in actuality. That's all I can say for now. Watch for it in the spring. (Oh, but it won't be the Ryan or Kommander - two of the slowest sellers we ever had, even back in the heyday of kits. )

Mike

P.S. I think it's time for some "therapy". I'm gonna go sand some balsa.

Last edited by Mike Gretz; 11-22-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

Mike,

I was flying at a nearby church (the one I was a member of) instead of the usual R/C flying field. We have had Mallards returning to the property for years to the point we considered them members. I was coming in low over some tall weeds when I spooked a hen hidden in the weeds. She flew up and slammed into the Rascal in making her escape putting it on it's nose and into the ground. The gear was knocked loose, propeller broken, and a wheel pant shattered. Final score Duck 1 Rascal 0. Look for a Mallard hen with an little airplane stenciled on her side.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike this is just an idea, but would it be possible for you guys to sell laser cut short kits? I would think there might be a market for 1/4 scale Smith Miniplanes, the Liberty Sport etc. It might not be huge,but if you could scale up the plans on pc and laser cut them it could be a niche? Other companies are making money at that. I have seen a 1/4 Miniplane before and it was a beauty. I have always thought a 100 inch Senior would be neat,I guess someone in our area built a 150 % Senior once.. however I never saw it.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

The short kits idea makes sense. You could cut them on demand and package them with the plans. The remaining items needed to complete the airplane any good builder would be able to handle. You guys sell balsa so extra stock wouldn't be necessary and you could make money off your old intellectual property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.