Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Extra 300

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Extra 300

Someone in this thread mentioned the cockpit at one time. I think it was in here. I always order by phone and speak with a person. There web site wasn't getting updated very often. I found trhe canopy for my scratch built Sukhoi there. I was told the same canopy was used for several different planes so it wasn't posted. Most people do use the extended cowl. FGS used to also sell a nice landing gear for the plane too but in this thread there were some size problems, width, so FGS said they weren't going to stock them any longer? If true then too bad, they really were good.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:50 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

The TnT landing gear fits and works great. They have a 1/8" thick version and a 3/16" thick version.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:36 PM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.graphtechrcshop.com/produ...&categoryId=23
If you want to go carbon, try graphtech.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto...
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyingagin

I started 1 back around 95. Never finished it. I think it will be one of my winter projects. I either got to find the elevator and rudder or build new ones from the plans. I have the carbon fiber L.G. Wish I had bought the glass cowl and pants. May investigate use the A.B.S. parts to make molds for glass parts.
It sure is going to need some serious redoing.
When I built mine back on page 2 of this thread I built the rudder larger than stock, Really gives it some extra authority on maneuvers that need the rudder. A friend also built one around the time I did and mine knife edgrd so much better. I think another member might have posted a template of the larger size that I used to build mine. So if your making a new one, You may as well go for improvements. I still have mine too but needs a little repair from a dead stick into the taller grass. Landing gear need to be reattached but that was the only real damage. Also did a few other mods to it also on page 2 Found a pic of the rudder on the first page that someone else did the same with.

Dauntae
Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
losinground

OK. This is my new project. I got the idea to put a DLE20 on my CG 300 and searched it and ended up here. Here is the story. This is a plane I built about 15 years ago and never finished it. It was about 95% complete and I sold it. Needed the money. That friend never finished it and sold it to another friend. He finished it and flew it maybe 5 times. He called me up a couple years ago and wanted to know if I wanted to buy it back. Since I built it from the kit I said sure. It has set in my garage since. I had a OSMax 90 on it and I pretty much do electric now so I have never flown it. It was windy the other day and I was mad I couldn't fly when I had this brainstorm. How bout the ole CG 300 with a simple gas DLE 20 on it. I got really excited and so here I am. I'm going to get it flying and redo the covering this winter if I like it. My plans are...

DLE 20 with a pitts muffler
Fiberglass Spec. cowl
Graph Tech RC carbon LG, wheel pants and spinner
Xoar prop
and maybe a Sullivan skywriter if things go well.

Should I do dual elevator servos? Change the servo layout any?
It has dual aileron servos.

I don't really understand where to re-inforce it up front. Can you guys help me with what to do to strengthen it while it is down. I want to get all the mechanical stuff done, fly it and then pretty it up this winter.....

Here are some pics of what I'm working with.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 PM
losinground

My DLE20 will be in Friday. I may need help since I think I'm going to have to turn the engine mount 90 degrees. I want to make sure I get the CL and thrust right. Tall order for you guys....
Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Gray Beard

set up of the plane is a personal thing. I almost always use two elevator servos on all my planes so that would ba an automatic thing for me. I have broken control horns and only noticed that the plane was a bit slower to react so I land and check out what is wrong. I have never used a DLE 20 so I haven't a clue what type of help you may require. Changing the LG is a very good idea. To reinforce the front end is just making up a thicker doubler to come around from the front to around the wing saddle. We have tended to use bigger engines in this plane so over time and rough landings the fuse can break in half just in front of the wing. The one I'm flying now was built in 1988 and it took two decades before it broke so it isn't really that weak but the added doubler isn't a bad idea. Just look at the fuse inside and you will spot the area. Other then that one little thing it's a perfect design. Re-inforce the LG block too for those days when your fingers and brain aren't working as well as they should. Those days do happen.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 AM
ExtraCGScott

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may also consider going to two servos to counter the heaver weight of the gas engine. Even with my large 90s- era FM receiver and battery moved back just behind the headrest in the fuselage - my extra is a bit nose heavy with the older model Super Tigre .90. I did use a soft-mount system (which is rather heavy) - but I assume the combination is not as heavy as your DLE 20. Also - going to the two servos will help tighten up the slop found in the single servo/ long push rod setup (at least mind seems rather sloppy!). This raises a question - do you all seal the gaps between your control surfaces to prevent flutter? I did so on the ailerons (just the bottom of the wing) but didn't seal the gap between the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. Any thoughts? I assume these big engine Extras scream across the sky!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
ExtraCGScott

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading up - I do agree with Grey Beard, it is too bad that FGS quit stocking their landing gear. Looking at the front shot of my plane (posted on previous page) - it does seem that it is the "wrong" size. The factory mounting holes were still under the fuselage (I did have to have to redrill to position correctly), but the flat does extend out about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch on each side. Personally I like the wider stance - the plane tracks very well on the ground (plus the flat provides a step for the little pilot to crawl into the plane!).
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Gary L. Sr.

I didn't realize the wee people were back east as well...Why not try a OS 1.08? A proven up-grade!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Gary L. Sr.

I didn't realize the wee people were back east as well...Why not try a OS 1.08? A proven up-grade!
Finding a good 1.08 is getting hard. Something you don't run into often these days.
This CG is one I built for a friend as a gift, notice the happy face after flying!! The LG is a set that FGS used to sell and it fit correctly. A few pages back it was stated FGS couldn't get them any longer and quit selling them? The ones they had were the wrong size. Too bad, these were very good gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46997.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1670713  
Old 10-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Gary L. Sr.

...Ol Scale guy just gave a very good 1.08 away! (To his son) But they are around, and good ones just stick an ad out there you might be suprised.  I recently used your pattern copies for the GB Extra 300 that I got from Ol Scale Guy...referencing the drawing is strongly advisable...Those little lines on the ruler can cause big probs if not used correctly, but it all came out in the wash! I used the Fiberglass Specialties cowling and canopy. And the T N T LG...I also used a White Oak tapered block under the LG from 0 to 1/4" in the width.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Gray Beard

Where on earth could he have ever found a good 1.08?????? Another one of those mysteries of life. Those weren't my templates, one of the guys here on RCU with the help of his 5 year old son were kind enough to make them for me. I just made a copy of them for OSG. He just sent them to another fellow here so now it's your turn to do the same for someone when they ask for a set. That's how we keep these old kits alive and in the air.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Poffit
My Feedback: (4)

Like you Losingground, I am building an extra with a DLE 20. I am using the kit as templates and cutting a new kit. Halfway into this project one of my flourecent lights in the shop burned out, and of course it was the one right above my building table. No problem, there was an 8 foot one laying back in the corner that I hung up on the ceiling. So, with plenty of light I was making great progress, actually thinking maybe this thing would fly before winter. Everything was built except for the canopy. The last night that I worked on it I mounted and bedded the wing. Then catastrophy struck. The next day the wife needed to air up a tire. She raised the overhead door, and guess what. That 8 foot flourecent light I put up, I didn't get it high enough to clear the door. The door knocked it down and it came crashing down right on the fuse.
So I have hit a little set back. The tail feathers weren't mounted yet so they are fine. The wing just had one small hole in the sheeting. But the fuse took a hard hit. It could be repaired, except that I spent a lot of effort making changes to shave off weight. So I hate to start gluing on repair patches and making it heavier before it even has its maiden flight. So now a new fuse is in the works. Life is pretty busy right now, in the last two weeks all that I have gotten done is drawing out one new fuse side on wood. So it looks like it will be next spring before this bird sees the air.
If you get yours in the air with the DLE 20 this fall you will have to report back on the performance of that combo.

Pat
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Gary L. Sr.

I found my 1.08 in Tucson, Arizona...Chuck Brooks! He is a great guy
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

HMM I still have my Extra built with mods but a while back a friend got out of the hobby and had one built per plans and sold me a ton of stuff on the cheap and told me I could have the stuff at that price if I take all the other stuff he had too LOL and his CG extra was part of it, never flown and not even a engine installed yet. Mine has a saito 150 on it and I have a 108 sitting on a shelf.... Might just be a place to use that OS 108 and have 2 extras to fly.

Dauntae
Old 10-07-2011, 03:42 AM
OldScaleGuy

Now my son has a 108 for his CG Extra thanks to Grey Beard's help. He is very happy to have it. It runs like a 108..... great.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The DLE 20 will be a good power choice for the CG Extra 300 plus it beam mounts similar to a glow engine but will sit a bit farther out on it's mounts due to the rear carb arrangement. I use a TNT L/gear on my Extra which works great and like Gary L Snr I used a tapered 3/8" to 0" hardwood wedge to give it a more froward rake to help stop it's nosing over tendency when flying from grass fields, plus it gives sufficient clearance for 16-17" props. Because of the position of the stock muffler when installed on the engine, using a small lightweight elbow will work as an excellent exhaust diverter.

Karol
Old 10-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Gary L. Sr.

...Sorry OSG...I already told them...yuck! (Can't keep a secret)
Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Gray Beard

I found that engine in my GOOD LHS and I didn't need it. It looked good so OSG called and bought it, all I did was pick it up and mail it to him. I do have a problem doing this for people I don't know. If it was total junk then I would have been the bad guy. One of the problems of buying anything used. Scooterinvegas called me to let me know that someone had brought in a YS 1.10 way cheap so picking up both engines was no trouble at all. I'm just glad the 1.08 was as good as the YS. I don't like taking the risk but sometimes used is a great deal. The YS was in better shape then the ones I have so it was a score.
The shop owner is getting in a bunch of used glow engines because of the local guys going to the small gassers. I have been trying to go back into gas myself but I'm a sucker for a good deal. Can't have enough YS engines on hand.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:13 AM
losinground

ORIGINAL: ExtraCGScott

You may also consider going to two servos to counter the heaver weight of the gas engine. Even with my large 90s- era FM receiver and battery moved back just behind the headrest in the fuselage - my extra is a bit nose heavy with the older model Super Tigre .90. I did use a soft-mount system (which is rather heavy) - but I assume the combination is not as heavy as your DLE 20. Also - going to the two servos will help tighten up the slop found in the single servo/ long push rod setup (at least mind seems rather sloppy!). This raises a question - do you all seal the gaps between your control surfaces to prevent flutter? I did so on the ailerons (just the bottom of the wing) but didn't seal the gap between the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. Any thoughts? I assume these big engine Extras scream across the sky!
The most important gap to tape is the elevator. I seal all mine though from the bottom with 3M Blenderm tape.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: losinground.

ORIGINAL: ExtraCGScott

The most important gap to tape is the elevator. I seal all mine though from the bottom with 3M Blenderm tape.

Ideally all control surface hinge gaps should be sealed, with the only possible exception being flaps.

Karol
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 PM
losinground

I'm about to start my DLE 20 conversion. I have a manual but I need a set of plans. Can anyone help? I need to position my new motor and try to work out some CG issues that may arise. Thinking about moving the tank directly over the CG.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Gray Beard

That would be a good place for it. If no one wants to have a copy of the plans made for you then mail them to you then you may want to go onto Towers web site. Last time I looked they still had the instructions you could down load and the plans you could buy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.