Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:57 AM
crowe04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

The cowl is finished now with a bit more detail added than what I had on the original. Photo shows post crash cowl and new replacement cowl.
I have begun to reinstall the radio gear now so it shouldn't be too long before it is airworthy again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65951.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1759939  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
crowe04

The repairs are finally finished!
Final flying weight has come in at 6.5kg (14.3lbs), a bit heavier than what I was originally thinking, but then again this time I am using two 4500mAH, 6S lipos which account for 1.5kg (3.3lbs) of that weight. CG is spot on as well, no extra weight needed to balance it out.
A couple of extra external scale details have been included this time, namely door placards and the engine inlet filter. Even though they are only small additions they make a huge difference to the overall appearance.
Looking at the "crash" photo again I still think that it looks like a write-off, but persistence has paid off.
Now I just have to wait for some good weather and get it in the air again.

Name:	Ur52452.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	1760326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17371.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1760327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77640.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1760328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53403.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1760329  
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: crowe04

The repairs are finally finished!
Final flying weight has come in at 6.5kg (14.3lbs), a bit heavier than what I was originally thinking, but then again this time I am using two 4500mAH, 6S lipos which account for 1.5kg (3.3lbs) of that weight. CG is spot on as well, no extra weight needed to balance it out.
A couple of extra external scale details have been included this time, namely door placards and the engine inlet filter. Even though they are only small additions they make a huge difference to the overall appearance.
Looking at the "crash" photo again I still think that it looks like a write-off, but persistence has paid off.
Now I just have to wait for some good weather and get it in the air again.
Please let us know when you fly it again.

Zor

Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 PM
paradoxx

I have just read the entire thread and its just inspiring. Gives me the desire of building one my own. A true build needs at least crashing once, otherwise it would be only a showroom aircraft.

Kudos on the recovery!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Crowe04,
Quite a transformation. Good job.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 AM
crowe04

Thanks for the comments. I'm working on the "flying again" side of things but we are coming into our winter here and suitable flying days coinciding with days off are not too frequent. When it does happen I shall do my best to get some flight photos.
In the mean time the workshop beckons for some more building to be done!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 PM
flightsimer

I just read this entire thread from start to end today... It was like reading a man's version of a soap opera...
Gets the kit , starts on it, gets delayed by a kid, continues, moves across the country, restarts, more delays, others build same models, announces he is selling his almost done model ( teookie NOOOOOO, don't do it). Crowe finishes his plane but dies in a horrible looking crash, but actually faked his death and comes back in a newer 182.... Steve keeps chugging along and is makin all the others jelly with his massive amount of detail...
And now I'm announcing that I will be the next to join this saga as of 5pm earlier today when I picked up a new kit off of eBay for 168 bucks! I'm gonna build it as my first ever kit plane... It should arrive by June 9th, but I'm not starting it until I finish my instrument rating as all I have to do is take the check ride, but I'm not studying for it yet... Bad Tyler (slaps own hands). I'm going to try and modify the cowling, aka build a new cowling from scratch, so I can finish my model as a CT-182T, just like the one I fly.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-182T-Skylane/1763621/L/
^ that's my plane... Only I don't own it lol

This should be fun and interesting...
Old 05-31-2012, 07:15 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the soap opera flightsimer!

I guess that after going through the rigors of learning IFR, you're ready for a new challenge and I can promise you that if nothing else, it'll be interesting.

As a pilot, you have a unique advantage (or disadvantage depending on how you look at it) because you KNOW what the actual airplane looks like. Unlike many RC model builders, you know that the clear piece of plastic in the kit that incorporates the back window is not meant to be all clear window and that the perimeter of that piece is supposed to be painted as part of the fuselage. You know that the skin is dimpled with rivets yet has a very smooth and glossy finish. You know what the tip of the rudder and the tips of the wings and stabilizer look like. You know how the flaps extend on tracks and you're very familiar with the three piano hinges that hold each aileron (as you've inspected the hinge pins making sure to hold up the trailing edge so your fingers don't get bitten by the aileron). You know all about the dipstick / oil fill access door on the cowl and where the static vent and tiedown rings are located. You know more about this airplane than the average model builder knows about the MonoKote he uses to wrap this pile of balsa. The question now is, what caliber of model are you planning on building? Will you be hand-fabricating a set of scale tracks for the flaps or will it be just a lot of balsa sticks glued together to form a reasonable silhouette of a 182 or somewhere in between???

My own interest in this project sprang from my exposure to the real thing as I became intrigued with the idea of capturing the appearance of a real, shiny civilian aircraft in a balsa model. The idea was to make a departure from the usual "carved and painted wood" look to a more realistic, slightly rippled metal skin look. I must say that the "look" I'm after is one that I haven't seen anywhere, but I feel compelled to give it a try even though this is my first ever attempt at a scale RC aircraft. I confess that the warbird thing was never attractive to me as a coat of gray primer already achieves about 90% of the not-so-pretty look, while shiny civilian aircraft often have me drooling. Unfortunately, the civilian stuff that makes me drool isn't quite as easy as military finishes even though the latter appears to be far more complex.

Anyhoo, everyone has their own perspective and purpose for doing what they do and how they build and I think many of us would love to hear about your intentions for this model. I've personally been taking my own sweet time building as life's matters have been taking more of the center stage, not to mention the fact that I've also kept myself busy trying not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas all at the same time. As pathetically slow as any progress might have been on my part, I haven't lost any interest, but I'll admit that following other people's projects tends to inspire me.

Hope you'll keep us informed about your plans and your progress when your box of balsa arrives and of course, my best wishes to you on your checkride!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 AM
crowe04

The "post repair maiden flight" took place this morning and it was better than ever. The 4500mAh 6S lipos certainly made a difference to the flight performance, not that it was too bad with the smaller lipos. As before, it is very stable with nice and positive control response. I sometimes think that wheel brakes would be good, our field has a sealed runway and the landing roll just keeps on going. I opted to use a few degrees of flap for the take-off but with the extra grunt from the bigger batteries I really don't think I needed to, they certainly help in the approach though!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:30 AM
Zor
Banned

Congratulations crowe04

Enjoy the results of your great effort.

Zor
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 AM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bravo crowe04!!! Of course, I'm taking notes about the batteries because electric is still completely foreign to me... well maybe not COMPLETELY, but I'm certainly no expert in this area. A bit ironic though since I don't know if my project will ever take flight, but the idea is for my model to be fully airworthy never the less. I'm almost considering slapping together one of these kits just to see how the flight characteristics compare with the real thing, but then again, my RC flying skills are barely adequate at best so this might be an idea for some time in the future.

Again, congratulations crowe04 on a job well done and wishing you many happy landings!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 AM
crowe04

G,day airsteve172,

You are not alone in having electrics as a foreign entity. This is only my second electric build and I just went with the recommended setup as per the TopFlite Skylane ARF kit, quite simply because I had no idea what to use!
It was at the suggestion of a fellow club member that I went with the bigger batteries and it was worth the change.
The satisfaction of having your own creation fly is worth the time and effort at the building board so don't let up. And keep us informed of your progress (with pics of course).
Now, what to build next?????????????

Name:	Us52548.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1767796  
Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
flightsimer

Thanks Steve. Once I get my instrument, I will be starting on my commercial ticket but that will mainly be time building as I'm thinking about going part 61 instead of 141 which I have been doing so far. Then followed by CFI/II, multi engine and then MEI.

I have three intentions for this model...

1)
As for this model, I'm hoping to complete it looking somewhat like a scale 182t, the one I have about 15 hours in, however, there is a 4ft difference in length between a Q and a T model. I know some of it is from a lengthened cowling, but I'm not sure where the rest of it is from. I'm thinking about just making the cowl to scale length and leaving the rest of the plane as is. I looked at some photos of both at the same angles and everything appeared to be located in the same spots in relation to other things on the aircraft. For example, the wing strut is located at, lined up with, the forward door frame on both the Q and T models when viewed from the side. If I had access to an older 182Q I could do it properly, but I don't believe we have any on field. 

2)
 I also want to use this project to help me in preparation for my ultimate build dream which the idea can be see here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11053546/tm.htmFor that project, I want to do the same type of build you are doing with your 182 in being as detailed and scaled as possible.

3) 
The museum to which I belong to has multiple wood aircraft in restoration. One is a 1934 Fairchild 24-C8C and the other is a 1946 Funk Bros model B. In storage we have another Fairchild 24, only this one is a C8D model, of which only 10 were built. Everyone who has worked on either planes said that if you can build models you can restore these planes as its nearly identical in practice. And I want to restore that second and rare Fairchild 24-C8D... I figure this would get me into the ballpark where I could then learn the proper realworld techniques from the other members.

Here is a link to the page for our Fairchild 24.  You can see all the pics of it. It's all done wood wise and is ready to be plumbed for fluids, installation of the completed panel, covered in fabric which we already have received and the engine sent out for restoration and then installed. If all goes well, it could be flying by late next year. For the last 6 months or so, nota lot was done on it due to the main guy having to switch to work on recovering the elevators for our C-123. And now, instead of going back to workon it, he has to recover part of the fuselage of our l-21b super cub that was in an accident last year so it can get back in the air.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:08 PM
heritageman
My Feedback: (4)

Crowe04, congrads. on a successful flight, and a super good job rebuilding. How much total weight is the flight ready cessna with the battery?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
crowe04

Final flying weight has come in at 6.5kg (14.3lbs), thats with two 4500mAH, 6S lipos which account for 1.5kg (3.3lbs) of that weight.
No extra weight needed to get the CG correct, the two batteries took care of that. I figure, rather than add "dead" weight for CG adjustments add "useable" weight.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 PM
flightsimer

Well it came today! opened it up since I got it off eBay to check and it appears to be all there... Didn't count anything yet as I had to head of to work... But dam is this a big plane... I was not expecting the cowl to be that big and it really put it into perspective. I can't wait to start into it though!

Now just gotta finish my license and get all the sups I need for it so I can start on it.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:55 PM
flightsimer

Finally got my license today! Tomorrow I begin working on my shop to start the build!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
crowe04

Fantastic, congratulations!
It's a huge achievement to finally get that first ticket under your belt. I'm sure there are plenty of full-size pilots on this forum but for those that aren't, the time, study, and not to mention the money that go into getting your licence is a mighty effort. I've been there too and I know how you feel when you finally get "signed off".
Congrats once again.
With the build, keep us informed of progress, and photos too.
(BTW If you are having trouble getting hold of the Topflite spinner (TOPQ5405) for your model let me know, I have "one or two" spare here, have a look on ebay Australia I have one listed there now, item #130717681896, and yes I will ship it to the US).
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 AM
flightsimer

It's a huge achievement to finally get that first ticket under your belt. I'm sure there are plenty of full-size pilots on this forum but for those that aren't, the time, study, and not to mention the money that go into getting your licence is a mighty effort. I've been there too and I know how you feel when you finally get "signed off".
Congrats once again.
With the build, keep us informed of progress, and photos too.
(BTW If you are having trouble getting hold of the Topflite spinner (TOPQ5405) for your model let me know, I have "one or two" spare here, have a look on ebay Australia I have one listed there now, item #130717681896, and yes I will ship it to the US).
Thanks should have said instrument rating however... Got my private license last October.

So far. I have gotten all the glues and epoxies needed and the main wheels. Is it going to be ok using great planes ca and epoxy or is it really recommended to use the Topflite stuff like the book says? Plus I have been reading the manual to make sure I'm understanding it before I start.

I should be starting on it next weekend or so. Yesterday, I spent a few hours cleaning In the garage for the build, but it's still not completely ready.

As for the spinner, I'll keep that in mind. I thinking about actually finding a three bladed prop to put on it as I love the looks of them so I might not even need them.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: flightsimer

It's a huge achievement to finally get that first ticket under your belt. I'm sure there are plenty of full-size pilots on this forum
>
>
>
Thanks should have said instrument rating however... Got my private license last October.
>
>
>
Congratulations on your rating.

Here we had two levels of instrument ratings, class 1 and class 2.
Class 2 had higher minimums.

How does it work out there these days ?
So which level did you get ?

Zor

Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 AM
flightsimer

we just have a single rating here in the US which allows us to shoot pretty much any approach to what ever the mins are up to CATIILS's. To shoot CATII and CATIII(A/BC) approaches, both the aircraft and pilot must be certified and approved to do so.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Zor
Banned

we just have a single rating here in the US which allows us to shoot pretty much any approach to what ever the mins are up to CATIILS's. To shoot CATII and CATIII(A/BC) approaches, both the aircraft and pilot must be certified and approved to do so.
Same here for the certification of the airplane and the pilots.
The pilots with class 2 have higher minimums.

So you have only one rating there.

Then why are you mentioning CAT II and CAT III ?

Zor
Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

To shoot CATII and CATIII(A/BC) approaches, both the aircraft and pilot must be certified and approved to do so.
Absolutely correct - the aircraft must be certified to conduct CAT II/III approaches, and the crew must have the proper *training* - both initial and recurrent. There is NO addition to an Airman's FAA (U.S.) Instrument Rating in order to accept and conduct these approaches.

Congrats on your Instrument Rating. This rating is the most difficult and the most demanding. Do yourself a favor and stay current and sharp by shooting simulated (hood + safety pilot) approaches every now and then.

Enjoy!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 AM
flightsimer

ORIGINAL: Zor

Same here for the certification of the airplane and the pilots.
The pilots with class 2 have higher minimums.

So you have only one rating there.

Then why are you mentioning CAT II and CAT III ?

Zor
Well for all intent, CAT II and CATIII approaches are just lower min-ed Cat I approaches; Im not very familiar with Canada's ways, so i wasnt sure if this was included when you said lower mins for different categories.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Zor
Banned

>
>
>
Zor

Well for all intent, CAT II and CATIII approaches are just lower min-ed Cat I approaches; Im not very familiar with Canada's ways, so i wasnt sure if this was included when you said lower mins for different categories.
Hello flightsimer,

I found the approach regulations about the USA IFR regulations.
It shows the different DH (Decision Heights) and the RVR (Runway Visual Range) for the different categuories.
Cat I, Cat II, Cat III A/B/C .

What puzzled me, and still does, is that since there is (apparently) only one IFR rating for pilots, it implies that an IFR rated pilot can use any of the categuories in as much as he is flying an airplane that meets the Cat.
Ya ___Cat ___Categuory ___not the four legged ones .

Then categuories become only an informative classification from air traffic control to the pilot.

Thus the pilot can have some idea at what height he can expect to become visual and how far he can see.

For the lower height Cat the airplane would need to have an RA (Radio Altimeter) and perhaps an "automatic landing system" .

Zor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.