Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

cv 12 mounted on lmh 117

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

cv 12 mounted on lmh 117

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Peter_d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cv 12 mounted on lmh 117

Lawrence,

Any will do just fine, as long it has a pull start, it's not like Im going to race with it..

I really appreciate it if you would have a look around..

//Peter

Old 05-23-2009, 02:54 AM
lawrencelkl

Some video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-trdsbkGAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNB4juRuFM8

This is the latest test flight video with the force .12 car engine.

Cheers.

Lawrence
Old 05-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Peter_d

Whooaa !
Looking good, great job with both the heli and video !!
I'm soo looking forward to order my engine now....
My heli is pretty much complete, have to attach the fueltank which is on themy teststand for engines... all is prepared.

Where is theC.G, it seems to want to slightly tilt backwards, or is that pilotinput..
I remember I had that balancing problem on my Apache.one click on the pitch trim FW and it went forward, one click on trim backwards and it
went backwards... could never dial it in perfect.

Congratulations on a wellmodified Corona !!
//Peter

Old 05-25-2009, 03:48 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter,

Yes, get your engine installed and you will be pleased with the new power for the lmh!!
I went to fly again yesterday, it was even better ( more top end power) after fine tune the low speed needle valve. Really pleased with the help of this thread to get me started and now enjoying the powerful new lmh.

Honestly i did not do much with the CG because i have limited adjust ability. Basically, i just installed the engine on a wooden block ( yes, cut out from scrap wood) and remove the main gear lower to get engaged with the clutch. Actually it would be much better if i use a longer main shaft. I did bought the music wire but unfortunately i dont have tools to cut it and also make the small 'indent' / flat area to be secured near the top of the rotor head. May I know if you have the tool to make a longer main shaft? if so, I might need help from you!

As far as i can feel, the forward /back cg is OK but left right CG is much off balance because of the extra weight of the engine. I tried to offset by replacing a bigger tank on opposite side and also battery arrangement but does not totally solve the problem. If you find a better arrangement, please let me know!

Mine is actually not a Corona, it is based on an old lmh 100+ crutch, but of course, i did upgrade to the longer boom and longer blade that you helped me to order last time.

Please let me know if you are order any parts again as i definitely thinking of stocking some parts for my lmh now!

Oh yes, the blade grip i was using in the video wre both 4 dots type.

Keep use posted on your Corona on Leo!

Lawrence
Old 05-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Peter_d

Sorry about that, should have been LMH 100+ and not Corona..

Well, I ordered the engine yesterday and he said it should be inat the end of the week
Just a matter of break it in and tune it..

I can make a longer mainshaft for you, is it 4 or 5 mm your looking at ? and how long would you want it to be.
If you want 5mm you have to enlarge the hole in both the spurgear and the hub. Ohh and you need 5mm (stopprings) toreplaceyour the current bearingcollars, since they are for the 4mm shaft.

Once I get the engine and get itgoing I'llhave a look at a different / better placement of the engine.

//Peter

Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter,

Good that your leo engine is on its way to you now!! May I have a look at the link where you bought the engine? I have never heard of Leo engine so would be interested to have a look.

Also, is it a sliding or rotary carburetor? My force is a rotary which i adopted the cable and sleeve for 90 degree control bend. A sliding will be much easier to install i gues

Thanks for your help with the main shaft. I am looking at extra 2 cm longer comapred to the original and I think a 4mm will do me fine.

Good Luck!

Lawrence

Old 05-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Peter_d

Hi,

If you look att this picture it shows a rotary carburator.

But I'm not sure the engine looks like this since they use the same picture for the .12 and .15 engines.
I have already made a bellcrank configuration since my other engine had a rotary carb.
Will post some pics later once I have mounted the engine.

I'll pickup some 4mm music wire when I go to the store to get the engine.

//Peter
Old 05-28-2009, 02:42 AM
lawrencelkl

Looks good Peter,

Let me know and show me the bellcrank once the engine is installed. I am currently using a standard servo for the cable and sleeve throttle to overcome the 90 degree friction. i am also usign a standard servo for rudder control and two micro servos for the cyclic.

If bellcrank is better, i might be able to save some weight to convert the throttle servo into a micro one as well.

thanks for the 4mm music wire!

Cheers!

Lawrence

PS: I have currently purchased 11.1 V lipo for my old kalt baron whisper electric heli. It was powered by a 8.4V nicad. The new performance with the installed brushless motor is brilliant! from a 'struggling' hover with the heavy nicad, it turned into an 'eager' fast flyer now!! Whooohooo

Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Peter_d

Isn't it sweet... charge and fly, charge and fly.. no tuning or engines that will give you a hard time.. downside is chaaaaring time...

What Motor, Esc andLipos did you get ? FlightTech EON-X30 2200 3s can be charged at 5C[X(]if only my charger supported That..

//Peter

Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Peter_d

Hi Lawrence,

A quick update,
The distributor didn't have any .15 engines left and since he doesn't stock this brand anymore I had to go with a .12 engine instead
which I ordered today.

I made your mainshaft last night (2cm longer)  and was supposed to ship it today but I didn't have the time to stop by the postoffice so I'll send it to you tomorrow, hope it's alright.

Will post some pics once I get the engine and attach it to the heli.

//Peter
Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the update. Is it a Leo engine as well that you ordered? any idea which country made this brand?
.12 should be more than enough power to fly your lmh

Thanks a lot for the shaft!! it will definitely keep my main gear more aligned with the engine clutch.

I am charging up my hirobo shuttle plus bigger bird with OS 37 and hope to fly it tomorrow!

LMH will get more flying once new shaft installed.

Cheers!

Lawrence

PS: the electric heli is powered by 4000mAh 15C (one of those normal brand from HK), 60A ESC, and a himax inrunner , i think 2600 KV.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
lawrencelkl

Hey folks,

Had some flights with my lmh 100+ powered by Force .12 car engine last weekend.
it was flying OK with good hovering characteristic. however, noticed an off-center flywheel and engine tends to overheat and losing power after some time.

i think i am going to take out the engine and take this opportunity to try on a car OS .10 engine. Very keen to know if it can power the heli good and if there is more lift due to the (not sure) reduced weight of a smaller engine.

will update when fixed.

Peter, any news on ur side?

Fly safe...
Lawrence
Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 AM
lawrencelkl

Also...

realised that one of the reasons for overheat might be because of the wooden engine mount which cannot take away heat efficiently, if it is aluminium, at least it cna help to act as an additional heat sink.

thinking of adding some hand made heat sink, any thoughts? it is becasue car engine are nto designed to run long on almost top speed while heli operation will be mroe demanding

Cheers

Lawrence
Old 10-05-2009, 05:20 AM
lawrencelkl

Hey Folks,

Tried out the OS max 10 car engine on the lmh and did some test flights but not encouraging. it seems that the engine overheat easily although i tried many different needle sttings and 4 dots 6 dots blade grips.

also, after overnight, i found out that one of the newer longer blade disintegrated itself at the blade root (again!!) i had similar issues with a pair and this is again happening

i changed to the older short baldes but much more rubber- ish feel. i have had no issues with the older blades.

I also saw the web about the multiplex funcopter designed based on the lmh. hopefully they will produce good quality blades when it comes to stock in Uk in Nov. i am waiting for that.

meantimes, i think i give up on the OS max 10 setup and might go back to the force .12 car engine or even earleir os cz .15 engine.

CHeers
Lawrence
Old 10-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Peter_d

Hey,

Sorry to hear that the OS.10 engine didn't performed as you wished...how long would it run before it started to lean out on you ? what nitro mixture did you use ?
And I'm really worried to hear that your longer blades have failed Again !! this is really bad news since the funcopter uses them and I don't know how much longer Litemachine will produce the shorter ones...

I havn't tried the Leo engine since my last trial this summer where it didn't take off.. to much other stuff going on with the house and kids.
When I have had the time it's been windy as hell here...and its not that popular to bring a nitro heli into a gym

Regarding your thought about Alu. motor mount, as you can see I did one i Alu but I doubt it will take away the heat. I think you have to put a big chunk Alu. on the cylinder head to get any affect..If I remember it right, Kyosho made a cylinderhead which was rectangular instead of round for one of their cars where the engine was all covered by the car body, but this was Way back...

//Peter
Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter,

The OS 10 engine was like being powerful into 10 s hovering or so then jsut losing power.. I tried on both 16% and 25% nitro and both without good luck.
[]

Do you think the funcopter will be using the lmh parts directly or going to manufacture themselves? lmh blades are supposed to be durable and cant jsut go disintegrated itself overnight!

Well, colder weather is coming so maybe it is a quick solution to the overheat problems. i will try to see if i can come out with something to solve the overheating problems, not on os 10 though, on the force .12 engine as it feel really hot after some hover as well.

maybe we just need a proper 15 size heli engine instead of car engine replacement.

Cheers

Lawrence
Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Peter_d

Lawrence,
I was at a hobby fair last weekend and Multiplex had a small booth there, among other things they had a Funcopter on a stand.
One thing I noticed was the swashplate, that is totally diffrent from LMH design and off course the direct driven mainshaft..

I'm going to pick up where I left my heli.. create a plate for the engine mount to clamp it to the crutch so the mount doesn't move...
Then all I have to do is syncronize my "free time" with "calm weather"..

//Peter
Old 10-06-2009, 03:42 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter,

Last night when I was taking out the OS MAx 10 from my lmh 100+, I thought of want to give it just another try before drawing conclusion that OS max 10 is not suitable. I have swaped it with another os max 10 which i have bench run with aero propellor and was seems powerful. I suspect that maybe the os 10 max i used before was worn out or something ( air leaks?) and will give it antoehr try with a second os max 10.

all are installed, just wait for a test then...i am also thinking if there is a more efficient way for the cooling...bigger custom made heat sink etc....

good luck!

Cheers

Lawrence
Old 10-15-2009, 09:20 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Folks,

came across the serious LMH mods on www.themanfrommoon.de
the ultimate lmh is really cool. i wish i have the ability to produce the extra clamp on heat sink for the .12 engine to get rid of the over heat problems.
but i dont have a lathe to do it....anyone help please.......

Cheers

Lawrence
Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 AM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

After having a Trex XL, Honey bee CP, Lama v2, Honey bee King, HK-450, A MSR I still find myself missing my LiteMaching / Corona 120 In a search to find a helicopter between my 450 and the MSR i have come across a helicopter that reminds me of my old Corona 120 in the fact that it is durable and very simple in design. I hope you don’t mind but I wanted to share this with other LiteMachine lovers. So picked a thread that for the most part is dead but may still be active to the diehards still receiving notice. So picked a thread that had many replies.
REVIEW
US Stores
Build