Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

My LMH 100+ E - Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

My LMH 100+ E - Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:21 AM
///samson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LMH 100+ E - Conversion

Just finishd her last night. I originally had the battery beneath the crutch, but it just feels more solid in its current position. Yes, I went with the fusion (burn-out) motor, but I ordered it well before I came across this site. Let me know what you think - comments, ideas, tips. She will take her first flight in 3 hours over my lunch break - lets hope the arlton gyro likes the new weight. I've been waiting for this for 7 years since I bought the LMH 100+. . . [:@]

Thanks to all who endured my questions and gave me encouragement.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:23 PM
///samson

Default RE: My LMH 100+ E - Conversion

WOOooo boy, LMH Fusion is a waste.... I didn't even get through my first flight and it burned up. DAMN. I think I might have mounted the pinion gear too snug with the main rotor gear - making it work harder than it should,, but it was working fine to me. Why on earth LM sells that crap is beyond me.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:26 PM
kreativdesigns
My Feedback: (1)

Nice setup. I'd be careful with that motor though. I've heard that time after time they end up burning up. Tell us how it flies though!
Old 03-23-2004, 01:46 PM
///samson

Besides almost taking out some guy's Bijon Frise, I only hovered about 1cm off the ground until the fusion went dead. Ugh. I hope the local Hobby Town USA has something to toss in there.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Mossie

Looks great! what is the weight with and without cells? Might I suggest a BL motor? Splash out on a Mega 16/15/3 with a phoenix controller and you'll never worry about the motor again.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:14 PM
darthdrk

Hey Samson, I did a conversion of a 110 to electric. i went eight cells and also the EF motor. I still kept my arlton gyro also. You should have no problems with the arlton gyro. The added weight will allow the rotor to spin up pretty good before getting airborne. Its amazing the power the electric conversion has. I also kept the same blades and boom. Nothing changed except from gas to electric. I plan on doing another electric conversion or should I say version. For some reason the EF7 dosent like 8 cells. Im going to order myself an Atomic motor soon. I also seen some new cheap battery packs on ebay. 2100's (2) for about $21.00.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:50 PM
T.W.

Looks to me as though you've wrapped your Rx antenna around the boom. There's a couple of really good reasons why I wouldn't want to do this - best to try a different system I think

Good luck,

Tony
Old 03-23-2004, 08:43 PM
ShotgunTC88
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: T.W.

Looks to me as though you've wrapped your Rx antenna around the boom. There's a couple of really good reasons why I wouldn't want to do this - best to try a different system I think

Good luck,

Tony

yea, I was thinkin the same thing!

I would run a Deans or simular....Just to be safe

Shotgun
Old 03-23-2004, 10:29 PM
darthdrk

Wrapping the reciever wire around the boom. its best to run the wire out and not coil it around anything. Or go with the deans antenna. I use to wrap my antenna wire and I was loosing servos left and right. I stopped wrapping my reciever wire and my servos stopped burning out. So, I figured somehow signals to each servo were being strained causing my servos to over heat and burn out the pots. I could be wrong but I havent had a servo failure since and its been almost if not a year now. I was loosing a servo on average of one a week.
Your fore and aft cyclic servo seems to be in a strained position. Also I made me a new crutch (homemade) based off the Corona crutch. The motor in the pic lasted a few flights and died, right now I have a EF7 mounted. This crutch is also a little taller than stock with a taller mainshaft also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75485.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	114790   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45772.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	114791  
Old 03-24-2004, 09:24 AM
///samson

As it turns out, by E-Fusion motor wasn't dead, but just suffering from an electrical problem - causing it to just quit. The ESC was still lit up as though it was powering the motor. If I unhooked the battery and back in again - the motor would fire for about 30 seconds. ~~I didn't even get a full flight out of it!!!!~ All the capacitors are in correctly too... any ideas?
BUT, I bought a new motor anyways [:@]

Trinity Speed Gems Chrominum 16t Double

Specs:
P-94 brushes
4380E long life brushes
Double winds
Silver Brazed commutator tabs for less resistance
D4 motor can and FB6 wet magnets
P-94 endbell with 3 installed SMC capacitors
Pure copper brush hoods for low resistance
Dual ball bearings
Adjustable timing

The owner of my local hobby shop had me buy it for its durability, responsiveness, and amazing high-end torque. So far I am all grins. It REALLY cooks!!!! At half throttle it was wanting to climb through the roof of my living room.

I did notice some servo issues while my antenna was wrapped on the boom - I'll move it ASAP - thanks!

Darth - I took the advice from you in another post to leave the arlton gyro. I have yet to get some airspeed to test it out. Any tips on how to adjust it to perfection?
Old 03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
darthdrk

The gyro should work pretty good. Youre not going to have a dead lock tail such as with a HH gyro. I think I increased the gyro paddles angles a + 1 degree. Ive tried a non heading hold gyro and i really couldnt see a whole lot of difference. Besides that the electronic gyro died so I went back to the Arlton been flying great. i did some high wind testing yesterday. I had the flight bug bad and i had to squash it. It was pretty windy. actually had my gas version out. Talk about floating. it would get nose into the wind and start climbing what was amazing was I was at about 1/3 throttle. to bring the heli down I had to turn it around to where the tail was in the wind and it slowly begin to descend. Im gonna be getting some new battery packs and the AF motor for my Electric . By the way what was the price on that Trinity?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:57 AM
///samson

I got the trinity for $30 at my local Hobby Town USA. It's also listed on this site: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/844231.asp

I gave my heli a whirl last night with the new engine and she had lots of spunk. Mind you I haven't learned how to fly yet - so getting it in my head to use the tail rotor is very hard (I never used the rudder control on all my RC planes).
Old 03-26-2004, 03:44 PM
///samson

Question!!!! Will having the battery on the side of the crutch cause the heli to lean towards the right in flight?

Last night I had to use jumper cables to shake the heli out of a tree.... pure comedy. She came out fine!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:12 PM
darthdrk

i have my battery on the side of the crutch, I have an 8 cell pack and i really dont see a problem. Ive heard others say their heli seems to lean a little while hovering. i havent noticed a problem with it. About the trees, yea, they do tend to reach out and grab the heli once in a while. Hey, theres tons of stories here in these forums.