Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

New competing model Association in Canada?

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

New competing model Association in Canada?

Old 03-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New competing model Association in Canada?

A couple of straight up questions to anyone involved/in the know. Not seeking gimmicks, games or spin.

Today, from two different, unconnected flyers I know in Southern Ontario, I was asked if I had heard the rumour that someone was planning to launch a competing association that would also be offering insurance coverage. The rumour-mill has the yearly fee pegged at $25.00.

For the record, one had heard that it was/had ties to this "CAC" thing while the other only heard it was simply originating in Ontario. A dark side to the rumours suggested that civil action against MAAC was planned to set the stage for the new association. Personally, I doubt the law suit stuff as it seems it wouldn't be a very intelligent way to win favour/members with flyers if you plan to compete for their bucks.

Regardless, the questions to anyone involved/in the know;

- Is there a solid plan for a competing assiciation?

- If so, what kind of coverage is being offered? (amount / 1st or 2nd payer etc)

Anyone else heard anything about this? Surely, I'm not one of the few waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up here in the middle of nowhere?

Old 03-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Jason Holdaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New competing model Association in Canada?

If there was, I'm sure it would be grand. $25 to join, and you have no rights........just like the CAC.....
Old 03-09-2006, 06:23 AM
Ed Smith

Now Marc, what are we supposed to think when you are the only one who knows anything about it?

Ed S
Old 03-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

Now Marc, what are we supposed to think when you are the only one who knows anything about it?

Ed S
lol ................. No Ed, I'm not involved. I have speculated in the past that a competing association may rise if MAAC didn't start paying attention to what the majority are doing, but I always assumed such a movement would originate in the West. Seriously Ed, keep your ear to the ground because the rumours have roots down your way. I'm simply interested in some detail to see if there is any substance, as opposed to some spite driven grumbling resulting from recent events.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Ram_Man

Deja Vu...

AMA & Sport Flyers ring a bell????

Cheers,
Tom
Old 03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01
For the record, one had heard that it was/had ties to this "CAC" thing while the other only heard it was simply originating in Ontario. A dark side to the rumours suggested that civil action against MAAC was planned to set the stage for the new association. Personally, I doubt the law suit stuff as it seems it wouldn't be a very intelligent way to win favour/members with flyers if you plan to compete for their bucks.

Marc if indeed this were to be connected with the CAC and the start of a competing organization then it becomes clear why they may have been refused a charter in the first place. I wonder would the executives of this new organization if it were involved in a lawsuit against MAAC be entitled to MAAC membership. Since MAAC is the only organization with a reciprocal agreement in the US how would this affect their flying in the US????

Dennis
Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: Propworn

Marc if indeed this were to be connected with the CAC and the start of a competing organization then it becomes clear why they may have been refused a charter in the first place. I wonder would the executives of this new organization if it were involved in a lawsuit against MAAC be entitled to MAAC membership. Since MAAC is the only organization with a reciprocal agreement in the US how would this affect their flying in the US????

Dennis
Personally, I don't have a problem with healthy competition (relating to modelling bucks). If it's a bona fide attempt, I'm interested in more information. There shouldn't be any need to keep something like this "hush-hush" as anyone organizing such a business would certainly want to get as much info out to potential members asap?

If the business plan's success rests within some kind of civil action.................. it will fail. I doubt many are interested in joining some "crusade" to bury MAAC.

Of course, it's all just speculation at this point until someone with more than rumour steps forward.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:45 PM
goldguy

I gave up on visiting these sites some time ago, but the reason for my return was to see if I could figure out what was going on after hearing exactly what Sharpy mentioned, and I live on Vancouver Island. Now mind you, it was from only one person and he didn't say where he heard it from, only asking me if I knew anything. This person's take on it was...it was Chuck Smith's efforts to bring MAAC down and the guy who said this has no idea of what has been going on in model airplane politics, or even who Chuck Smith is.

So, there you go. He tells his story to someone else and it just kepts getting added to to make it even more interesting by the guy telling it. It's called gossip and can be very harmfull. You all know how this stuff spreads. Someone brings up the subject of the CAC, the next guy speculates about a new organization offering insurance and the next thing it's all factual.

Hey, by the way, I heard that the province of B.C. is going to join up with the good ol' U.S. of A. and we will all have to become AMA members.......anyone on that one????????
Old 03-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Sharpy01

I could care less about names. Not interested.

I am simply interested to know if there is any fact behind the rumour and if credible,

................what will the organization offer us for the 25 bucks?

Old 03-09-2006, 03:40 PM
300sflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Given all of the other facts that have surfaced in the last while, I would not be surprised "if" the rumors are true.

While I find this to be very sad that it has perhaps come to this, I kind of hope they are true..... [X(] It would finalize a # of things, and MAAC could then put more effort into the day to day runnings of our organization, instead of having to deal with all of the recent discontent...
Old 03-09-2006, 04:22 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: goldguy

Hey, by the way, I heard that the province of B.C. is going to join up with the good ol' U.S. of A. and we will all have to become AMA members.......anyone on that one????????
Damned good idea -- go for it.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Ed Smith

quote:

ORIGINAL: goldguy

Damned good idea -- go for it.
Best idea I have heard in years!

Ed S
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Kevin Perry

Keep dreaming up stuff boyz. You guys are everything you ***** about not being right. LOL ...keep em coming this is a good one

KP
Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: Kevin Perry

Keep dreaming up stuff boyz. You guys are everything you ***** about not being right. LOL ...keep em coming this is a good one

KP
Kevin:

I simply asked if anyone knows anything about a new association being formed, and if so, what does it offer?

I could care less about names and that whole CAC mess. I have no stake in any of that garbage.

I've made no bones about my knowledge being rumour based. If you have solid info, one way or the other, please enlighten.

I'm interested.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Kevin Perry

Hey Sharpy...

It was not meant as a personal attack...more of general comment . This post is the first I have ever herd of anything. No one in the SW zone I know of wishes to start up a competitor to MAAC .

Who would actually want that burden ?

KP
Old 03-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Sharpy01

Could just be a bunch of cranky talk as a result of recent events.

Perhaps it's a pre-emptive position in the event the BOD turf's some membership(s) after the new bi-laws are enacted.

If action like this is being considered by the BOD, they should probably not rush to that decision. IMO They have to ask themselves, (besides some personal satisfaction after doing battle for such a long time), what would be gained? In reality, would any person, who intended to somehow hurt the organization be stopped from doing so without a membership? Does anyone seriously believe that anyone outside the membership wouldn't be able to get information?

If you boot members out, you likely give them power and a podium they wouldn't otherwise have. Regardless of how you may feel about certain actions deemed negative, they likely have done some good work as well or they wouldn't have had a following in the first place. Furthermore, you load the gun for civil action, which may be exactly what is being sought. As it is now, unless there is some illegitimate child involved somewhere, I doubt anyone has any real civil case against the association...............why provide a reason to fight?

....... For the first time in a very long time, you have 12 directors happy to have a meal together and talk about planes, with a 13th blank spot that likely will be filled with someone like-minded. Let it go. Treat anyone you feel you have just cause to dump as if they are gone and ignore any whining or baiting....
..........but take their money. IMO

Old 03-17-2006, 10:41 AM
JKovats
My Feedback: (2)

You know sharpy, I don't know who you are, but just by casual observance by myself, my humble opinion is that you appear to like to be a sh** disturber.

You know, I heard that my next door neighbours brother in law, saw a commercial on TV about model planes and he was going to get one, but his freind advised him not to, because his supervisor at work told him that they can't get insurance on them, until the organisors get the union in. Anybody else heard anything on this?? If so, I'd like to know.

This is the first time I have looked at this thread and it is funny. You know guys, nobody really cares, they really just want to build their planes, fly their planes and hang around with their buddies!

Johnny Versatile
Old 03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Donovan Dow

Morning Sharpie what ever is your label

What are you going to call your new organization?

thanks
don dow
Old 03-17-2006, 04:19 PM
jhelps

ORIGINAL: JKovats

You know sharpy, I don't know who you are, but just by casual observance by myself, my humble opinion is that you appear to like to be a sh** disturber.

You know, I heard that my next door neighbours brother in law, saw a commercial on TV about model planes and he was going to get one, but his freind advised him not to, because his supervisor at work told him that they can't get insurance on them, until the organisors get the union in. Anybody else heard anything on this?? If so, I'd like to know.

This is the first time I have looked at this thread and it is funny. You know guys, nobody really cares, they really just want to build their planes, fly their planes and hang around with their buddies!

Johnny Versatile
Actually at least 13 people care (those who are committed to being ZD's) and thank God they do so they can look after the grown-up stuff that goes along with running an organization the size of MAAC and deal as seamlessly as possible with those issues that have the potential to completely disrupt your enjoyment of this hobby so that children like you (assessment based on the content of your e-mail) can continue to play with your toys and pretend that as long as you stick your head in the sand, nothing bad will happen. (If you know any radio amateurs ask them what just happened to them with some of their frequencies and also ask them what impact the proposed use of powerlines to transmit data will have on the radio spectrum - a medium we use quite a bit).

While I often am at odds with Marc's methods, I salute his efforts and goals and indeed the efforts of all those who have been ZD's for trying to keep a handle on things.

JH

PS If you think you've seen sh** disturbing, my crystal ball tells me that you ain't seen nothin yet. I suspect the AGM will be very interesting.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:22 PM
jhelps

ORIGINAL: Donovan Dow

Morning Sharpie what ever is your label

What are you going to call your new organization?

thanks
don dow
Carefully re-read the thread and you will see that Marc is not proposing a new organization, hence no need for him to name it.

JH
Old 03-17-2006, 05:13 PM
JKovats
My Feedback: (2)

To JH

I think you'll find if you do a little research and ask around, I am very much in favour of MAAC and in fact am very involved in MAAC. When I asked about "who cares", it wasn't about the organisation, it's about the 12,000 general members of MAAC, and the gossip, and so called power struggles that a "handful" of people are involved in. I think the members just wanna have some safe fun.

I am with you and am grateful that the MAAC BOD handles the affairs of MAAC in a very business like manner, I know the membership in general cares.

As far as the gossip and sh** disturbing ... "who cares". As far as the AGM goes, my money is on, that it is conducted in a very business like and professional manner and that the business of MAAC will be well done.

Johnny V
Old 03-17-2006, 05:28 PM
jhelps

Johnny V

Thanks for the clarification and it simply supports what I said - the 12000 should be grateful to the few who take the time to keep things going, the sad fact is that once individual personalities get involved crap happens.

Re the AGM, I have no doubts that the BOD will run a proper meeting, but there are many back channel issues that could indeed surface there. Time will tell.

JH
Old 03-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: JKovats

I think the members just wanna have some safe fun.

I am with you and am grateful that the MAAC BOD handles the affairs of MAAC in a very business like manner, I know the membership in general cares.

As far as the gossip and sh** disturbing ... "who cares". As far as the AGM goes, my money is on, that it is conducted in a very business like and professional manner and that the business of MAAC will be well done.

Johnny V
Hey, John.

In essence, you are correct. I was/(& some extent...am) a "sh** disturber". However, I don't think it is in the context that you believe. We are in total agreeement that our hobby is about "fun" and those I've engaged negatively with in the past, were of the opposite opinion. My history is banging heads with those few that took themselves ......and this hobby... too seriously.

Regardless, I agree that the AGM will likely go smoothly, particularly in light of recent developments and a notable resignation. If there is to be any drama, it will likely take place afterwards in the months to come. Hopefully, all that crankyness "down south" will settle and everyone will get back to what is important........ flying model planes and having fun.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Donovan Dow

Morning All

Richard Barlow is the new MAAC president.

Claude Melborne will be the Ottawa Valley Zone Director (G).

cheers
don dow