Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:51 PM
rccub
My Feedback: (184)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

i have seen a few pics of these, but have never seen one fly. anybody out there ever flown one. if so what do you think. what engine and servos did you use. would use for sunday sport flying. thanks for the help.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:35 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Hi CUB!
I'm the person that wrote the manual for the JERRY'S BIG BOY ARF and I've had access to a couple of them! I have just finished one of them and installed a Saito 100 on it. Plenty of power. Great for fun-flying and sport flying. You can fly this thing in the shower or any regular size phone booth! The manual is down-loadable from the Morris website in two sections. (wing, fuse) Give Robert a call and he can also send you one. The ARF was done in China and the quality is first rate. Don't let the four servo ailerons scare you. They are very effective right down to about 2-4 mph........... This bird makes a great second plane to get a little taildragger time or aerobatics on your ticket. I side-mounted the Saito 100. Not a lot of oily goop on the bottom of the plane this way. The tall stilty gear is great for those no-break-the-prop kind of landings. The quality and fit of the parts are well worth the price. The hardware is pretty good stuff. The tailwheel is medium duty but is very workable in my opinion. The firewall and gear mount is not going to get knocked out very easy. There seems to be a lumber yard up around this area so I think it will hold up to the most punishing landings. If you use a computer radio you can do all the taileron, flaperon, 3-D hoopty-doo you feel like doing. If you have a basic four chanel you won't feel like you were left out of all the fun. I'm eying a set of floats in the shop so I can take old BIG BOY to the lake. Gotta go for now.......... E-mail me if you need to know any more. Enjoy!
Terry
Old 01-20-2005, 04:04 PM
ICE_MAN

I fly with jerry! He flies his own design similar to the BIG BOY. I think his whole flight is with in abot a 15 foot box! The plane is awesome!
Old 01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
gilanne
My Feedback: (4)

I'm flying the kit version powered by a G23 gasser. It is a ball to fly! It will fly very slow and does real cool slow motion aerobatics. It was built by a friend who mover the firewall back about half an inch to help with balancing.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:22 PM
rccub

thanks to all for the replies. that is what i wanted to know. i will look at the website too. was looking for something to "kick around" with. was thinking about the spacewalker, but i think this might do better.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:16 PM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

I am also going to give that plane a good close look. I have a perfectly good G26 here looking for a home.
Ron
Old 01-21-2005, 10:32 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi ICE,
Many moons ago I did some vacation time in Ky. and Tenn. and got to fly some fun fly type flying with Jerry also. I used to kit a way-out-modified Sweet Stick looking plane called a Fantastik. This was back in the early to mid 70's. I'm about to throw out these six boxes of trophies and plaques I won with this thing!

I got to see Jerry fly his BIG BOY on a video. He was in a mall parking lot and the plane appeared to be his personal ship that was covered in yellow see-thru covering. The claim was that the parking lot was 100 x 180 feet. In the video he wasn't even using 50 x 50 feet of that parking lot! He designed a real winner for sport or funflying and now Robert Kozak at Morris Hobbies has produced these BIG BOY ARF'S that really do this plane up right. These 2 planes I have are fun to play with and I have flown the prototype from the kit off a tennis court. Super maneuverable! After building a kit and now the ARF, all I can say is that if you want to have fun RIGHT NOW go get the ARF and save your building time for another project! They look big when they are all stuck together but they fly on just about any size motor two or four stroke. I've flown the proto on an MVVS 77 and 91 two stroke. I'm about to spend some quality time late this afternoon with the Saito 100 powered ARF. No wind. 77 degrees. It's my birthday. Fully charged batteries. HMMMMMM. See ya!
Terry
Old 01-22-2005, 01:58 PM
ICE_MAN

Yeah I think Jerry Has at least 3... its different everytime I see him. He also has built some for friends around here. I think last time I saw him he was building an 80+ incher and I saw (I believe) his little 40 ish sized one.. I don't get to see him muh anymore because he likes to fly on weekday afternoons and I have school. So I see him mostly in the summer

Plus its like 30 mph winds and FREEZING right now... I was sposed to maiden my Ultra Stick lite today..
Old 01-22-2005, 03:55 PM
suitcase

Does the plane fly like the US 120? How much of a problem would it be to use the G26? As far as balancing it goes?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:00 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi Suit,
I've had the US 120 in Lite and regular weight and also a US 60 with a Saito 100. While these are great airplanes and they do fly extremely well on the four strokes I feel like I can smoke my 15 year old and his flying ability with a JERRY'S BIG BOY equipped with the smaller Saito 100. I wasn't really keen on the idea of this BIG BOY early on because it just looked like every other boxey Stik-ish plane on the market. I've been fun flying for over 40 years and I know when something comes along that is radically different in the flying department, all the guys at the local field all of a sudden WANT one!
As far as someone wanting to stick a G-23 or G-26 on this airframe, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised. It is built like a brick outhouse and I think the only mod you'd want to incorporate is some sort of 4-40 (Dubro) wire tail-bracing to combat the extra shake of a gasser. I've got a little over two hours of flying time on this second ARF and the first one is getting a new home. I'm liking the snaps off the deck on take-off. Point the nose up 10 degrees or so and do the snap in either direction. Flying inverted is easy but don't drag the rudder on anything but really closely mowed grass....... The counterweight on the rudder can snag the longer grass and might ruin your flying session! The gear on these two appears to be glass bead blasted so primer and paint will keep oil/fuel from staining the metal. The Saito 100 is swinging an APC 15-6 and pulls the plane in the 85-90 mph range. (Not broken in, either) I'll keep posting as I find new things to do with the JERRY'S BIG BOY. I've got one guy training with this plane and after a few flights he is doing very well. His previous (first) plane was a Thunder Tiger 40 Trainer. He feels comfortable already and likes the extra horsepower on the front end.
Happy Flying,
Terry
Old 01-23-2005, 11:18 AM
suitcase

Well the reason I brought up the G26 is that is what's on the 120 lite in my avatar. It went in the trees on it's second day of flying and I haven't put it back together yet. The fuse is reuseable with some work, but the wing kit is $143. For $77 more I could get the big boy. I seem to have a problem with depth perception with these bigger models. I had an old 120 which I put in the trees. Built a new 120 lite, and put it in the trees on maiden. Rvator put the one in the avatar in the trees on second day of flite. We feel that it has the elevator servo arm come off because it began to decend he couldn't get it to pull up. Thats three US 120s and I've yet to run a gallon of gas through the engine. Ralph, of RC Ignitions, straightened the prop shaft of my G26 and it's ready to try out. Just waitin' for some warmer weather. So you think with the G26 I would need to move the firewall back some to balance it? I needed about three ounces of lead on the back of the lite, but man that thing flew sweet. Two cliks of elevator is all we needed to get it straight and level. I built it with flaps. Does the big boy come with the option? Do you think it needs it. My old 120 didn't have them and it flew well.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:47 PM
rccub

hi ice, i know you said you can fly this thing with about any engine. if you were going to buy an engine for this plane, what would you get. i would like to use a two stroke. thanks again.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:12 PM
ICE_MAN

hard to tell which ice your talking too... But I can tell you Jerry flies a design similar if not the BOG BOY with an O.S. 1.60 on a LOOOOOONGGGGG tuned pipe. I like the Super Tigre G2300 on my USL with a bisson pitts exhaust.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:27 PM
rccub

thanks for the reply. i was asking ice 32 iceman. in an earlier post he commented about the many engines the plane would fly with. i was just trying to get him to be more specific. thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:55 PM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ice 32 Iceman, I have a YS120 and 140 would you recommend any of these for this plane? Thanks

Jeff
Old 01-24-2005, 05:03 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looked on the webpage but could not find the servo requirments. Was thinking about one of these with an OS 90 and pipe.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:11 PM
ICE_MAN

I really like the Futaba s3305 sevo's. They make 124 oz of torq. on 6V and are only $37.99 metal gear to boot
Old 01-25-2005, 05:04 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Sorry I didn't answer questions yesterday, Computer problems......
The OS 90 w/pipe, do it and have fun! The YS 120-140? You like little storms of raining balsa bits?? Just kidding..... I think if ya'll want to go with larger two and four strokes the airframe will take it. Just one word of warning: I've not been able to flutter this bird with the Saito 100 at full throttle. You might be able to do so with the larger engines, so use your throttle wisely. There are two mods I'm going to encourage pilots to do, one is personal choice and the other is for fun. The first is to put wood or carbon fiber arrow shafts for push rods and the other is to split the ailerons and make the inboard part a flap. (A-la US 60 & 120) I really liked playing with the crow function and think the BIG BOY could give as much fun too. We are doing some video on Thursday and will try to post on the Morris website this weekend. Will get the pictures on RCU in this thread about the same time.
Terry
Old 01-25-2005, 05:15 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi RCCUB,
I tried to send you something on engine sizes but froze up. Let's try again: Any good stout two-stroke engine in the 60-120 range will do. Depends if you want to fly on the wing or the prop! We've tried MVVS 61, MVVS 77, MVVS 91, Evolution 61 & 100, Magnum 61, OS 61 & 91. It will fly with as little as a Saito 65 but would be kept to a marginal trainer. Speaking of that, It does make a wonderful trainer, a super fun-fly plane and great all-out sport plane. As the power goes up on the front end, think of increasing the torque rating of your servos as well as taking your battery from 4 cells to 5 cells. Will check this thread
wednesday night. Send e-mail for quicker response till then....... Gonna be out of the office.
Terry
Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 PM
rccub

hi ice 32. thanks to all for the replies. thought i had a deal on one of these planes, but looks iffy now. i will get one. i think they would be great for all-around flying.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:43 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi Cub,
Call me at this # Thursday morning @ 10 am. (800) 826-6054 Ask for Terry. Deal? You wanna deal, huh? No "iffy" spoken here!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:27 PM
rccub

i will call you promptly at 10 am.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:29 AM
rccub

hi terry, it was good talking to you yesterday. sorry i havent called back. got busy etc. to anyone looking for one of these planes, call terry at the number listed above. he is an extremely informative gentleman. we talked for 45 minutes, and could have went another hour. he will definitly take care of you. he talks rc. terry, i will call you back. i will try yet today. thanks again.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:37 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi Cub!
Enjoyed the chat also! One of the nicer aspects of RCU is all the great people you can meet here. My son and I met two other hearty souls at Barnstormer Field late Sunday afternoon. It was one of those dismal gray days on the verge of pouring down a little liquid sunshine. The temperature was in the upper forties but we were going to get some video shots of the JERRY'S BIG BOY to post on RCU and the website. We managed a couple of flights but were convinced that video shots were going to have to wait on some better weather. I must be getting older........... Imagine that. A little inclement weather holding up the video shots. Now where's the shotgun and waders? Here duckie, duckie!
Will be in the office later on Monday. Looking forward to your call.
Terry
Old 01-31-2005, 08:40 PM
rccub

hi terry, just wanted to tell you that the deal i thought was "iffy" came thru. i was going to order one from you, but i just could not pass on this deal. thanks for all the help.
charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.