Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Programs using a lot of memory

Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Programs using a lot of memory

ORIGINAL: Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

I did full scans with AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware and none of them found anything.

FF still jumps around in memory usage from 170mb to 250mb (with out me opening or closing any tabs.)
No offense but AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware aren't the best for securing and scanning you computer. For a real time anti-virus I would choose Avast or Avira free over AVG. For free anti-malware/spyware scanners I would recommend MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware and A-Squared.

I also recommend visiting Secunia's site to do an online scan for vulnerable programs you may be running. They have an online scan or a down loadable version you can use. It will let you know if Windows, Flash Player, Java, Media players, etc are up to date. Here is the link. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/

As far as Firefox's memory usage, did you look at the first link in post #17?
100% agree here, avg and spybot are well not needed comments are really necessary right now.

Malware is high end and does a great job.

Tho i think for me anyways is why are you so concerned on how much mem your using? if its and issue buy some more its dirt cheap nowadays, and all pc's even the best will hes-ate do to memory fluxing.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:14 AM
JB COMP

Dialed_In, I looked at the link, and it didn't help with the memory usage. I found another link that gave a few more suggestions that I'm trying right now.

pythonfan, I could run a few big programs at one time and my computer run all of them just as well as my dad's with 2gb. I used to be able to, but know I can't. I don't see why I all of a sudden need more memory when I never did before. (I'm running all the same programs I've always has too)
I can get a 2gb stick of memory for $38.00. If I could find it cheaper than that I might get more memory.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:51 AM
JB COMP

Well MalwareBytes found nothing.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

how long has it been since you reformatted?

That will speed your pc alot, you should do it every few months just to keep it clean and healthy.

One thing you can try it take your ram out let it wait a little bit and put the ram back in, this will flush the cach, and help speed up a tiny bit as ram is memory and memory gets full sometimes and then moves over to your hard drive.

It also could be a windows update.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

how long has it been since you reformatted?

That will speed your pc alot, you should do it every few months just to keep it clean and healthy.

Onething you can try it take your ram out let it wait a little bit and putthe ram back in, this will flush the cach, and help speed up a tiny bitas ram is memory and memory gets full sometimes and then moves over toyour hard drive.

It also could be a windows update.
Never.(my computer is about 2 1/2 - 3 years old) We never reformat any of ourcomputers, for the simple reason of losing all our data. We don't trustof back ups that much.

FF seems to be settling down a little bit. The highest I've seen it today was 180mb. I may just have to restart FF every now and then through out the day.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Dialed_In

The trick to backups is testing them . At a minimum you should create data backups of pics, music, software keys, etc.

Good to hear MalwareBytes came up clean. Do you have CCleaner? It's a simple program that cleans up the junk files on your computer. You can get it at your favorite download site or directly from them. I recommend the "slim" version that comes without the optionally installed toolbar.

The slim build is at the bottom of this page. http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Note: CCleaner will clean up your browsers cache, cookies, history, etc. It also allows you to check or uncheck items that you do or do not want cleaned. I would run the cleaner regularly to keep things tidy. Don't mess with the registry cleaner and if you do, make a backup when it asks you to before fixing the issues.

I wish I could help more. The 3.5 version of Firefox should be out soon (July?) as it's already a release candidate. I know some folks have had memory issue with Firefox while others get along fine. With 3 tabs open I'm at 91,000K but my system is no slouch.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 AM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: Dialed_In

The trick to backups is testing them . At a minimum you should create data backups of pics, music, software keys, etc.

Goodto hear MalwareBytes came up clean. Do you have CCleaner? It's a simpleprogram that cleans up the junk files on your computer. You can get itat your favorite download site or directly from them. I recommend the"slim" version that comes without the optionally installed toolbar.

The slim build is at the bottom of this page. http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Note:CCleaner will clean up your browsers cache, cookies, history, etc. Italso allows you to check or uncheck items that you do or do not wantcleaned. I would run the cleaner regularly to keep things tidy. Don'tmess with the registry cleaner and if you do, make a backup when itasks you to before fixing the issues.

I wish I could help more.The 3.5 version of Firefox should be out soon (July?) as it's already arelease candidate. I know some folks have had memory issue with Firefoxwhile others get along fine. With 3 tabs open I'm at 91,000K but mysystem is no slouch.

We use Windows back up. I'm still un sure about it.

have CCleaner. Had it for a while now.

had FF 3.5B4 and 3.5B99 both seemed to work the same as 3.0.11
Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Dialed_In

It's also good to backup to multiple types of media when possible like hard drives, cd, dvd's, USB sticks, etc. I also know people who use multiple backup/imaging apps just to be sure.

When's the last time you defragged your hard drive? You could run ccleaner then defrag.

Sorry, I forgot you tried the Firefox betas.

I'm about out of all the easy ideas. You could always check your memory with memtest if you wanted to. There a program called PageDefrag that defrags the page file. You could try running Firefox(safe mode) and see if there is any difference. Try disabling add-ons one at a time to see if there is a difference. I know you tried disabling the AVG scan thing. And, you could always buy more memory. NewEgg is an excellent place to buy computer parts with great service.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:59 AM
splcrazy

well avg is a huge memory hog , i stopped using it , but if you notice it going slower sounds like you have hidden viruses and spyware , other than that you may be using up too much space in the hard drive and should start deleting crap you dont really need , Also you maybe have too many installed programs , but most of all delete the crap from your hard drive .

If your looking for a very smart program to clean your pc , go to www.download.com  and download a program called Advanced SystemCare its a free program , and it can free up your memory too , when you get it go into utilites and click on SMART RAM then click on GO and choose how much you want to free , i kept on clicking on deep clean untill my ram was back to normal , and it helped alot my pc was heaps faster after that , you can also have the smart ram running in the background and it inteligently frees up memory as you use your pc doing whatever you are doing .
Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 AM
JB COMP

We have our backups on another drive, but we also have 3 computers backed up on that drive.

I ran CCleaner and defraged my drive a few days ago.

splcrazy, I used to run CA and that was a memory huge memory hog compared to AVG. I might try Avast just to try it, but I"m not sure.

I have an 80gb hard drive with 45gb of free space let. I doubt that's too much.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Dialed_In

I don't think you can go wrong by trying Avast. It's a very stable and complete free anti-virus program. I have it installed on my mothers, sisters and nieces computers. If you try it only use the 'shields' (web, email, P2P, messaging, etc.) that you need.