Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

I'm sure this has been answered but i can't find it...anyway, i know some people are using a 9-cell (10.8v) in their cubs...my question is

1) will the super cub's stock motor and electronics handle the 9-cell without any issues? i know that the upgrade battery that is recommended is the 8-cell, but is the 9-cell overkill? as in, will it burn up the stock motor or fry the esc?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM

Hey Guys,

I love reading this thread. I find out new and interesting things everytime i open this forum. You guys are the best!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
cjg

My experience on second plane is the T-28. Great next step, and enough challenge to keep it interesting.

My T-28 stock does much better in the wind than my stock Super Cub. However, it also means it can get away from me faster when flying with the wind.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: SpinningInPrescott

Hi All:

Newbie here with a 2 week old SuperCub that I bought to take aerial photos for my real estate business (or at least that was my excuse

I purchased a Aiptek 1.3 SD from rcplanecams.com for only $65 and it works great although I have ordered the higher resolution one in the meantime for only $90. Great service and customer support from Daniel over there.

Any way, here's a copy of the video I shot, plus a sample of the aerial I will use for the listing:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=65jasM-YzZM

I've created my own 9 cell battery from the two they sent me and the power increase was definitely needed for my bird that is weighing in at 32 oz. I'm going to move to lipo next.

Any suggestions or tips for aerial photography are sought. I've tried mounting the camera several different ways, but am still having probs lining up the shots.

Thanks for the info and all the tips I've already picked up.

Patrick

P.S. The first picture is a 1.3 MB one I will use for the listing and the others show my SC. Some mods:

1. Reinforced wing and leading and trailing edges with red duct tape then covered wing in clear packaging tape. Added 2 oz, but made the wing sturdy and duarable (I broke the original wing already).

2. Cut away trailing edge suport area after crushing it and reinforced with some firm foam rubber from a couple of mouse pads I glued togther and trimmed to fit. Now it's dense, but spongy when the wing inpacts it.

3. I made a 9 cell from the two 7 cells that came with the unit...
Hi Patrick and welcome to the forum. Your going to have a blast with your new Cub . Before you go to far with the commercial photos you may wat to check some laws. It's my understanding that you can pretty much do what you want within reason for yourself but once it becomes commerciial you my have trouble. Maybe what you are doing is Ok as I don't know all the facts but I have read from others in the AP forums that commercial r/c AP is illegal.

Jim

BTW nice looking plane.

I just watched your video. what a s... eating grin at the end lol . Thats just how I feel after every succesful landing even after flying it for over a year.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: j_t01

Hi Patrick and welcome to the forum. Your going to have a blast with your new Cub . Before you go to far with the commercial photos you may wat to check some laws. It's my understanding that you can pretty much do what you want within reason for yourself but once it becomes commerciial you my have trouble. Maybe what you are doing is Ok as I don't know all the facts but I have read from others in the AP forums that commercial r/c AP is illegal.

Jim

BTW nice looking plane.

I just watched your video. what a s... eating grin at the end lol . Thats just how I feel after every succesful landing even after flying it for over a year.

Thanks for the advice...I'm taking photos of listings that I already have so I've got the owner's permission on this one. I was going to send courtesy shots to the neighbors though...maybe I shouldn't?

Thanks again, PS
Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 PM

SpinningInPrescott :

as You said. that was only a excuse !!!! but a good excuse. I dont think you will be able to get shoots from every home you are going to sell. you will need a park near that home or anyplace to takeoff and land. will be good work on those you can do it. but hey will be some houses you will not able to shoot them.

the ones you can take the shoots will be an good presentation to future customers.\

enjoy your new CUB. and have a good time.

PD. what you goin to do with the remaining cells of the batery you breack appart. you can send it o me. so I can do same.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 PM

SpinningInPrescott:

My Wife works on HM realestate and I tell her your idea of takin photo to her listing. and she told me 2 very good ponts.

1st. a heli will be better for do this. wirth a CX2 that is perfect stable easy to fly you can be more prescise on what you want to shoot.
2nd. and the most obviusly and easy way is GOOGLE EARTH.

sorry to be an ass but when my wife told me those 2 points ,, she takes from me the emotions too.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 PM

ORIGINAL: DaxFX

SpinningInPrescott:

My Wife works on HM realestate and I tell her your idea of takin photo to her listing. and she told me 2 very good ponts.

1st. a heli will be better for do this. wirth a CX2 that is perfect stable easy to fly you can be more prescise on what you want to shoot.
2nd. and the most obviusly and easy way is GOOGLE EARTH.

sorry to be an ass but when my wife told me those 2 points ,, she takes from me the emotions too.
I'll probably work up to a heli eventually, but for now I'm having fun with the cub and since I actually got one good shot it pays for itself. It costs me $500/hr to rent a helicopter to go up with my camera....

Google Earth is not updated in all areas...if you are lucky to be in a decent area you're ok, but they are not very close in. I use the stock aerial and sat maps that are available from the county GIS site but they are not the same as angled shots that show the lot.

Thanks for the feedback!

PS
Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 PM

P.S. what you goin to do with the remaining cells of the batery you breack appart. you can send it o me. so I can do same.
Hi DaxFx and thanks for the post!

I'm going to buy some more of the little suckers and make a few more packs. Does anyone know how many cycles I can expect from a battery pack?

Thanks! PS
Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: 99cavyz
1) will the super cub's stock motor and electronics handle the 9-cell without any issues? i know that the upgrade battery that is recommended is the 8-cell, but is the 9-cell overkill? as in, will it burn up the stock motor or fry the esc?

NiMh Batteries: at 1.2 Volts per Cell, 9 cells comes out to 10.8 Volts. . . . Safe for Stock rx/motor. I run stock rx/ motor myself. I think the Lipo 2100mah is 11.1 Bolts. . . uh, Volts. . . Y-y-y-y-Y-e-E-A-H_H-H, Baby. Put the 9 cell in therrrrre... ... .Let'er rip.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:18 AM

It costs me $500/hr to rent a helicopter to go up with my camera....

Google Earth is not updated in all areas...if you are lucky to be in a decent area you're ok, but they are not very close in. I use the stock aerial and sat maps that are available from the county GIS site but they are not the same as angled shots that show the lot.

Thanks for the feedback!

PS
WOW WOW WOW hold your horses. I was talking about a RC heli. coaxial 4 channel are very easy to fly stable and exellent for the shooting.

this batty packs claim to run more than 100 cycles. but with proper care you can have them for years. You remember the buggy SEARS have in stock about 15 years back. I still have the Lobo II with original battery and works. I just use it like once every few month just to keep it working .
Old 01-16-2008, 10:18 AM

PS
WOW WOW WOW hold your horses. I was talking about a RC heli. coaxial 4 channel are very easy to fly stable and exellent for the shooting.

this batty packs claim to run more than 100 cycles. but with proper care you can have them for years. You remember the buggy SEARS have in stock about 15 years back. I still have the Lobo II with original battery and works. I just use it like once every few month just to keep it working .
I apologize for not being more clear. I rent a real helicopter for $500 /hr right now. I'll look into the coaxial heli options. Any recommendations for one that can lift a 5 oz camera with ease?

Thanks again for all the scoop!

PS
Old 01-16-2008, 11:11 AM

Hi Everyone:

I just converted my Super Cub to lipos; Mrs. Santa Claus provided me a couple for Christmas. However, after less than a dozen flights on lipos, the motor quit working. I have seen from reading this message board that several other people have had the motor failure problem after lipo conversion too, so I was careful to use full throttle only on climb outs after launch, typically less than a minute, then throttle back to about half throttle for most of my flying. I also cut some ventilation holes in the engine cowling to provide more cooling. And the motor STILL flamed out on me after less than a dozen flights.

My question is, since others have had this same problem, does anyone have a solution to it? Perhaps a stronger, more durable motor that can be substituted for the stock SC motor? Adding a heat sink to the motor for better cooling? Flying without the motor cowling for improved air circulation past the motor? Other neat solutions? If anyone has already solved this problem, I sure would like to hear about it. I hate to even think about changing the motor every two weeks after an in flight motor failure. Or going back to the stock NiMh batteries.

Have any of you who have converted to Lipos had a stock motor last six months or more? If so, did you do anything special to it to make it last?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Herb
Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 AM

PS
Hello Spinning...

For the kind of investment you are making, you should look at these two sites. Captured video would be much more effective than stills. I have a close friend who is frequently called upon, as an expert witness, for testimony in PV cases. One of the ways he uses video is to demonstrate the effects of highway construction on property value.

If I were making the decision, I'd go ahead and invest in live video. You can actually see what you are flying over (live video) and capture as you fly. You'll get to play with learning a heli...and the expenses are deductible. How kewwllll is that!

http://www.fpvvideo.com/prod05.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgWIdpegfuc

grubby
Old 01-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions on FPV systems. What kind of resolution is downloaded by video? 640 x 480 is not enough for print, but would suffice for the web.

I'm going to use the Aiptek 3.1 MP camera for stills I think.

Thanks again for the input and links!

PS
Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 PM

I just added some new wheels to the plane and they work SO MUCH BETTER than the originals!!!!

They are:

2 1/2" Dubro Super Lite Wheels (about 10g each) and come two to a package PN 250SL - requires a shim, I used part of an old antenna (the narrowest part)

and the tailwheel is a Dubro 1" Mini LIte at about 1 g and come two to a package PN 100MW - requires drilling out slightly

Pics attached. PS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57937.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	852951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89918.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	852952  
Old 01-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Thanks for sharing your wheel mod SpinningInPrescott.
For those that don't know, there is another board out there focused on just the Super Cub... many of us hang out in both areas.
Here is the forum for more wheel mods like the one you did:
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...cgi?board=whls
Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Herbgat

Hi Everyone:

I just converted my Super Cub to lipos; Mrs. Santa Claus provided me a couple for Christmas. However, after less than a dozen flights on lipos, the motor quit working. I have seen from reading this message board that several other people have had the motor failure problem after lipo conversion too, so I was careful to use full throttle only on climb outs after launch, typically less than a minute, then throttle back to about half throttle for most of my flying. I also cut some ventilation holes in the engine cowling to provide more cooling. And the motor STILL flamed out on me after less than a dozen flights.

My question is, since others have had this same problem, does anyone have a solution to it? Perhaps a stronger, more durable motor that can be substituted for the stock SC motor? Adding a heat sink to the motor for better cooling? Flying without the motor cowling for improved air circulation past the motor? Other neat solutions? If anyone has already solved this problem, I sure would like to hear about it. I hate to even think about changing the motor every two weeks after an in flight motor failure. Or going back to the stock NiMh batteries.

Have any of you who have converted to Lipos had a stock motor last six months or more? If so, did you do anything special to it to make it last?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Herb
Some people have had really good luck with the LiPo upgrade and the brushed motors. I had the same luck as you so I went the brushless route. If you buy another brushed motor I would consider doing WOT for shorter bursts, 15 seconds at most then take it easy to let the motor cool off. Sorry but I don't have any brushed motor recommendations.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Hi,
I'm wanting more power for my Cub so I can haul up a 5.6oz camera. I don't want to use lipo's. I was thinking about a bl motor. I have done some mods to the Cub (8 cell nimh pack, DX6 radio, bigger tires, ailerons, paint). Can anyone help me?
Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 PM

I put a e-flite park 450 in the cub and before I got the lipos i was using it with the stock 7 cells - it was a good improvement, mostly because of the weight reduction I think, but this thing really goes now with the lipo. Seems like you have done all the mods - so why not lipo - I got the mystery 2200 off ebay for cheap and a imax b5 charger for almost nothing (b6 is out now), hauling a cam - about 3 oz., floats (heavy) and still goes good. getting a bl motor and no lipo is like putting 87octane in a ferrari with a rev limiter..IMO..
Old 01-16-2008, 10:39 PM

I've got a Mystery 2100 mAh LiPo off E-Bay too, have ran it about 15 times and no problems.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Herbgat
Have any of you who have converted to Lipos had a stock motor last six months or more? If so, did you do anything special to it to make it last?Herb
Everyone makes sense about the short bursts and all. For what it's worth, here's something to add. Mines 4 months on LiPo and I fly A LOT.

Stock motor on Lipo here. Learned from another RCU member to do the following:

Take a new Stock Motor and break it in first. Using 2 AA batteries (energizer, duracell whatever) as power - tape them together at the middle so they're end to end. You need to figure out the right polarity and hook the motor up to the batts for 2 hours. Let it run outside the gear box (don't run it with a prop. Just by itself). At 3 Volts, it won't even cause any sparks inside the motor and/or carbon build-up. They say this will properly seat the brushes on the inside of the can as they spin, and THEN you can plug in your Lithium Polymer.

If you plug in the stock motor (new) to a LiPo, and Full throttle, it builds up alot of carbon on the inside as the brushes scream down into a convex shape to match the curve they're spinning inside. The motor doesn't get it's full potential if you scream into Lipo Full Blast without running it at a slower rpm for a bit, because of the brushes.

Mine has been running since Mid September. And I fly full throttle A lot of the time. Cool thing is, running on 1/2 to a hair above 1/2 throttle gives plenty of lift on LiPo, and you don't have to go Full Throttle.

I use 1320 mah and sometimes a 2100mah in mine (Both 3 cells, both 11.1 volts). Well to each their own. Truth is that lately however, I have noticed a bit of a whine in my motor, and I'm scared to float fly over the lake now. While it still flies great, I'd hate to have to go in after it if the motor gave out. It's still going strong though, despite the metalic sound and I think the "Break-In" was more than a placebo effect. The end will come for all motors eventually.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 AM
My Feedback: (1)

The best way to seat the brushes on a new brushed motor is to run the motor in a glass of water. Change the water often. when the water stays clear, then the brushes are seated. Take the motor out and dry it with a hair dryer
Bill B
Old 01-17-2008, 04:48 AM
My Feedback: (1)

here is a primer with photo's for breaking in a brushed motor
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5628228/tm.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM

To: <undisclosed-recipients:>
Subject: Public Announcement - as of Wednesday January 16th
Date: Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:13 AM

DEAR LOYAL CUSTOMER,

It is with our most sincere regret that we must inform you
that Diversion Hobbies is no longer a Horizon Hobby Inc. Authorized
Dealer. As of Tuesday the 15th of January, we were informed in short
order that our account was to be unilaterally deactivated. The level
of shock we all felt as a company has been almost indescribable. This
action came without warning. We would like to begin this address
therefore, with an apology to you, our loyal customers. Of all parties
that can be harmed from this unfortunate decision, we feel you have
been dealt a disproportionate blow.
We also want you to know that we are still committed to you,
our customers. We are taking the steps needed to insure that we can
continue to provide the same great customer service experience, ease
of shopping, and incredible values you have come to expect from
Diversion Hobbies, and plan to be taking orders again very soon.
In response to this announcement, we know many of you will have
questions as to the ?whys? and ?what nows.? In an effort to keep you
informed, we have attempted to ask pose these questions on your
behalf, and have posted our best answers below.
We want to address an issue we know to be very important to a
large portion of our recent customers?the status of your Pre-Orders,
namely of the Blade 400. This has been a chief concern for us ever
since we were contacted by Horizon Hobby Inc. on Tuesday. Although we
have endeavored to negotiate a solution ?even offering solutions in
which Diversion Hobbies would take a financial loss fulfilling these
orders?we have been unsuccessful at reaching an agreement which would
prevent you the arduous task of finding another dealer from which to
purchase, and having to take a new place in line. Horizon Hobby has
refused to attempt participation in any such negotiations.
After numerous attempts to reach our sales representative
went un-answered, and efforts to reach Horizon Hobby?s Sales Director,
Mike Feeney were fruitless?literally, as we were in the process of
writing this public address?we FINALLY received a phone call. It was
Mike Feeney, and he was responding to our voicemail regarding the
aforementioned proposed solutions to this pre-order concern.
Let us first state that we feel you are Customers of Horizon
Hobby as much as you are our customers when you placed the orders for
their proprietary products. Furthermore you place your order with a
[then] authorized distributor. The call was unfortunately ended
abruptly by Mr. Feeney, and the all-to-clear mantra was this: This is
not a negotiation. Horizon Hobby is not willing to attempt
participation in any such negotiations concerning fulfilling this
promise?regardless of the effect to the customer.
We at Diversion Hobbies do understand that many of your will
feel that this is equivalent to breaking a promise, and we agree with
you. Because of this mutual understanding, we again want to offer our
sincerest of apologizes, knowing that in the end you are the ones who
have been made to suffer. We will continue to work on the behalf of
those of you who placed an order with us, but in the time being as of
Thursday, January 17th, ALL PRE-ORDERS WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL.
Again, it has been our privilege to serve and as we
transition past this hurdle we remain ever-committed to the end of
service on your behalf. We look forward to resuming normal sales
operation shortly. Until then, please feel free to communicate with
us. As you can read below we have setup a special email address purely
for your feedback. [email protected].

The Most Common Questions, and Their Answers:

Why has this happened?
The reason we were given that our account with Horizon Hobby
was deactivated was this. We had been told last February, 2007 that
Diversion Hobbies was authorized for online transactions only. The
result of this new information was that we were no longer allowed to
sell product from a retail store front. We removed our product from
such a location and have proceeded to conduct all transaction online
since. We do how ever have a few, meaning less than 5, LOCAL customer
who live in our same town. As such they have BEGGED to be able to pick
their products up directly from our warehouse so they would not have
to wait for shipping. We have obliged this for them by requiring that
they pay online, and that they ALSO PAY FOR SHIPPING as well. Without
warning this became an offense which predicated our account
cancellation, and has to this date, been the ONLY reason we have been
given as to why our account was cancelled. We have our own theories,
and we will let you make up your own minds as to what you think the
real reason is.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR THE FUTURE?
Diversion Hobbies is still absolutely committed to you, our customer.
Everything we do is a result of our effort to bring you the best
customer service, products, and prices through innovating the way
hobby shops do business. We are taking the steps needed to insure that
we can continue to provide these facets of our business that you have
come to expect and we plan to be taking orders again very soon.

I HAVE A PRE-ORDER WITH YOU. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR ME?
Horizon Hobby Inc has made it clear they are not willing to
attempt participation in any such negotiations concerning fulfilling
backorder product [even as far back as August of 07]?regardless of the
effect to you the customer. Although we will continue to work on the
behalf of those of you who placed an order with DiversionHobbies, we
will begin REFUNDING ALL PRE-ORDER, IN FULL as of Thursday, January
17th.

I HAVE AN OPINION, WHERE CAN I BE HEARD?
As customer of Horizon Hobby and Diversion Hobbies, We
cherish your feedback during this time of transition! We have setup a
special email address specifically for any such comments you would
wish to share with us, [email protected]. Although we may
not be able to respond to every email, we will attempt to respond to
most.
Horizon Hobby can also be contacted. You can contact them via
phone at (800) 535-5551. Should you wish you may also express your
opinions to their National Sales Director, Mike Feeney by the above
listed number or at [email protected].

well there goes another discount hobby shop....my opinion horizon is going to control prices . thats all it is folks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.