Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

The birds where I fly don't seem to care. There is a dog is one guy's backyard that goes nuts when I am there...so of course I buzz him whenever I can!

I took my newly refinished Cub for a fly this morning. It was reallycolorful in the sky and easy to spot. One dummy thing I did was I didn't bolt the motor on properly to the gearbox somehow, so it was tight under the cowl...didn't really affect flying though. My daughter went with me on her bike and before I even took off she wiped out, so my nerves were set off right from the start. She wanted me to fly it anyway,soI did, but I was tense. I landed it a bit hard and the nose cowl hit, scraping off the nice red paint, but it was an easy fix.

I forgot that one aspect of r/c planes...you spend more time fixing than you do flying! Oh well, makes the flight time that much more special.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:34 PM

Where I fly there are some hawks, but i dont mess with them and they dont mess with me. I watched a guy a while back get his plane downed by a hawk I think he made him mad because he had buzzed right passed him. They Normally Fly pretty high up.

firebird

Old 07-19-2009, 11:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I've been into r/c cars for several year, but lately I have been more interested in the plane side of things... sooo I went out and bought me a used supercub today! I got it pretty cheap, as it had some damage already. [&:] He had ripped out the battery box and had it repaired at a LHS.
But, when I got it home and pulled everything apart I decided I wasnt satisfied with the repair, even thought it could have been flown ok. So its the supercubs first night home and I already took a razor to it

I noticed the foam from the box the plane came in would make great donor material, so I cut out the damaged battery box area the same thickness as the peice of foam i selected from the packaging. It's sitting in my room with the epoxy curing now

I figure worst case, if it doesnt come out right (although I think it is better than the fix that it had before) I can just buy a new fuselage cheap and be done with it.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 PM

That's the nice thing about it...parts are cheap and disposable. I was wondering about the packaging styrofoam...likely worth keep some around.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 AM

Good idea about the packaging foam. There are lots of ideas here on how to strengthen the battery box, check out post 8808 on this thread for how to bullet-proof it or do a search. The BB is shat out of the box. Or if you want there are lots of videos on Youtube about the SC mods as well.
The SC is fun, you will enjoy it, but like me you may get the upgrade bug fast! In case you are already thinking of it, I recommend the T-28 Trojan as the next plane
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 AM

Good news, looks like the packaging foam worked like a champ! I have it all back together. I tried pulling on the battery box from the inside and it is in there real good. [8D] I think I will reinforce the outside of the transplant with some packaging tape for extra strength.

Yea I saw that long series on youtube about modding the SC with all kinds of stuff, I might mess around with some of those ideas later

Still some minor work to do before I feel it will be ready to become a lawn dart.. ehhh I mean before my maiden flight. Looks like the cowl took a hit and cut a few strands of the motor wire, just need to solder a new one in and get some bigger tires.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 AM

Birds are fun to fly around. But I leave them alone too. The crazy thing is we are in their airspace. I photo #1, These ducks came in at 8am yesterday am - a whole flock- and i took my eyes off the cub as they all landed on the water. It was beautiful to see them touching down, until i realized i didn't know where the cub was! My eyes found it and i kept flying as the ducks quietly laughed among themselves at me. Seriously, they were more beautiful to watch than my own plane !

dea2287,
That paint job is a great surprise! It looks great. I'll bet it looks great in the air too. Thanks for sharing that. Great pics and color scheme. My paint chips too. I used Acrylic paint as well. dea2287, Look at the cowl in these photos. I know what you're dealing with. On mine it was simply from a noseover landing, the paint chipped right off. I guess hindsight's 20/20. Next time I'll use 2 coats of primer, lightly sanded, on the plastic parts (cowl and wheel pants).
But , no problem if you have extra paint. I come in with a few paint chips missing, and gob on another coat. So what ! nobody cares! lol That's a great paint design and I'm glad you shared it too

Hey everybody check out this p-o'd Eagle!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx1ksnYiRS8&feature=PlayList&p=78C34473CE7 DA5BE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16104.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1240418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85642.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1240419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53509.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1240420  
Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 AM

hahaha, that bird almost took the plane out

I can't wait to go fly my new (well to me) plane, next weekend should be nice.

Been on youtube watching r/c planes with cameras and some even have transmitters so you can see from the planes view on the ground... that has to be the coolest thing I have seen in along time.

Too bad I cant fly it around on base lol
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 AM

I found that the cowl and other plastic parts on the cub can be painted with success with Krylon Fusion paint. Its made for plastic and it has held up extreamly well on my cub. Don't use it on the foam parts. A mistake I did, it now looks like alligator skin
Only bad thing is that it only comes in the very basic colors.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Just finished flying - yes (wahoo) flying my Super Cub. Changing the batteries in the Tx did the trick for the "cutting out". I have two 7 cell batteries and one seems to only let me fly about 7 minutes. But the other at least 12. It was a great time. Getting much more comfortable with it.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Thanks, bro! Actually, it was your paint mod that gave me the inspiration. I taped the nose cowl really heavy after I repainted it, and actually painted over the tape job as well.

And thanks eghershey for the paint tip. Probably good old Testors paint would work well on the plastic too. Definitely two different surfaces requiring two different types of paint.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30788.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1240859  
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: dea2287

OK, here is the big suprise...a SC makeover!! I stripped it apart, painted it up (3-4 coats on most surfaces), got a LP decal kit, new cowl, prop, and spinner, and here's the result. I'll be pretty nervous to fly it next time...

That paint job is great,,,just be careful on how much weight you put on,,,it adds up fast,glue,paint,tape....trust me I know,,,,pretty soon you got a flying slug....
Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 PM

So far, it flies about the same as before.

I've noticed, however, that the servos "twitch" when I connect the battery...like they are adjusting themselves. The rudder especially twitched for a while before settling down. Odd.

I haven't flown in a couple days because of work so I'll have to comment back on the flight characteristics ofmy mustard bottle...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 PM

my mustard bottle... That's funny,,had to look at your pics again.....you're right
Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM

I just got a new battery this week...it's a Turnigy 2200mah 20-30C, 3 Cell. Got it locally for just under $30!!!

So, I tested it out today...man it rocks! Just a little extra oomph! 20 minute flights (with aerobatics) and about 30-35 minutes (lots of gliding and gentle flight)

Definitely a great battery.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: MCSEVZ

I just got a new battery this week...it's a Turnigy 2200mah 20-30C, 3 Cell. Got it locally for just under $30!!!

So, I tested it out today...man it rocks! Just a little extra oomph! 20 minute flights (with aerobatics) and about 30-35 minutes (lots of gliding and gentle flight)

Thats a pretty darn good price...Care to share with us the location of this supplier?????
Old 07-22-2009, 08:29 PM

eghershey
You think using Krylon Fusion for plastic and getting an alligator skin look has anything to do with the actual foam of the SC or maybe the carrier in the spray can? I've used it on the SC and had no problem at all (even that triangular cut out with the 3 holes) Tried some spray on Plasti Dip in red once, sprayed it on from about 10 inches and it tore up the foam but when I tried a can of yellow and held it a good 20 inches from the foam it didn't damage the foam at all. Also heard a fellow complain about Krylon Fusion H2O, eating up the foam (strange as that seems) So now I wonder if it has anything to do with the light waxy feeling on th SC or the carrier for the spray paint, have heard that the carrier evaporates quickly. Just wondering.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 PM

Here's mine with Krylon Fusion. Only place the paint coming off is where I sprayed it over packing tape and places that have been rubbed pretty good.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Nice looking SC,,,,yellow shows up well in almost all light conditions...[8D]
Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 PM

OK, two different planes, two different colors of Krylon Fusion and yours turned out professional and smooth, mine looks like a black alligator. What gives? Did you by chance use a primer????
BTW: mine is painted black with yellow trim. But maybe like patmatgal eluded to, its the propellant in the can. I did hold it pretty close to the foam. Didn't alligator up on me until I was pretty well finished with the first heavy coat.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: eghershey

ORIGINAL: MCSEVZ

Thats a pretty darn good price...Care to share with us the location of this supplier?????
It was from my LHS. He had two and was going to use them on a store display model, but when I asked for a battery with similar specs, this was the closest he had so he gave it to me cheaper...I almost bought the 2nd but cash is at a minimum right now...gotta restrain myself!

I just flew again a few hours back and enthused a clan of 5 young teens biking on the sidewalk...gotta laugh at their funny comments that they think I can't hear. Such as..."holy S**t, is that a plane or a screaming bird?!?!" Hehhe.....it made me smile!

Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: patnchris

I just got a SC this morning......Part of an exchange deal on my Firebird Freedom......It really looks cool and I'd love to fly.......However as a complete newbie, I think I will not fly it until I become proficient and confident flying my Slo-V....I can bust it up quite a bit, put it back together, and bust it up some more....Then, when I'm ready....I can try my hand at crashing the SC.....Until then, it can sit in my hanger and look pretty.....LOL
The SC is very durable and fixes up right as rain with hot glue and packing tape. Check out post 8808 for tips on how to bullet-proof it.
Have fun, just fly it!!! Just remember to take it 3-4 mistakes high (about 150-200 feet) and disable the ACT.
//Tom
Old 07-23-2009, 12:47 PM

OK, two different planes, two different colors of Krylon Fusion and yours turned out professional and smooth, mine looks like a black alligator. What gives? Did you by chance use a primer????
BTW: mine is painted black with yellow trim. But maybe like patmatgal eluded to, its the propellant in the can. I did hold it pretty close to the foam. Didn't alligator up on me until I was pretty well finished with the first heavy coat.
No primer, but I did hold the can about 2 feet from the plane when painting. Used very light coats and put two coats on.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Belemnoid

No primer, but I did hold the can about 2 feet from the plane when painting. Used very light coats and put two coats on.
I was told to use this method by the crafts lady at Hobby Lobby. If you spray with enough distance, the carrier (part that attacks foam) will evaporate and you only get the pigment. It does take a little more paint but the foam will survive. That is the method I used to paint the low-wing SC.
grubby
Old 07-23-2009, 05:12 PM

While in the process of painting I lost the nut that holds on the propeller! Do the nuts come with the replacement prop shaft? Or would it be easier to find the nut at a local hardware store?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.