Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 PM
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

Hardware store, Just make sure to get a stainless one.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 PM

Nice paint job there. I think the packing tape is the answer, at least on possible impact areas. Basic acrylic water-based paint like I used comes off fairly easily. although the areas I did not tape are still as good as the day I painted it! The nose cone and wings take the worst beating.

Did the stickers or tape seem to remove the paint if you tried to reposition them? Tape would completely remove mine, so Ionly got once change at it. Turned out well though.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:32 PM

You can get the prop shaft only, without the gearbox, and it has the nut, bearings, and washers with it. List price is $2.49 I think.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 PM

Belemnoid I'm going to try this too. I Will fly new prop in about an hour (at sunset)... I just put in on today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71770.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1242549  
Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 PM

OK, so here is my CUB finally painted and "decals" applied! I found a nut at Fleet Farm that now holds my prop on. Works just fine!

Pic three is my custom window so I can read my onboard volt/ampmeter, lots easier than taking the wing off everytime!

btw...this is my first time uploading pics, so let me know if they don't show up...thanks!

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Super Cub LP small 1[/img]
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Super Cub LP small 2[/img]
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\Super Cub LP small 3[/img]
Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 PM

Ok, i think that didn't work....will this???

Name:	Wu60947.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1242555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77457.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1242556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16942.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1242557  
Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: MCSEVZ

Ok, i think that didn't work....will this???
Nice job,,,looks great,,,have not tried painting my SC,,,waiting for the LIPO's that I bought on EBAY to show up....
Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Super paint job! I really like the window idea too.

I had mine out tonight for a fly. Despite a bit of a breeze it was great! I didn't scrape off the cowling this time either . I did make one over-shoot of the landing area into a pole which slightly dented one wing , but nothing major. One perfect landing on the gear with no bounce, and I taxied it right up to me...that one was rewarding!!

I'm starting to find that, as mentioned previously by someone, the wing is slowly pushing back toward the rear of the fuselage. Think I'll try the popsicle-stick fix.</p>
Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Sinai

Belemnoid I'm going to try this too. I Will fly new prop in about an hour (at sunset)... I just put in on today.
Yeah, it flies nice with that prop but I think it's got a little less zip than the GWS 10x6. I've got half a dozen of those, but they're orange and for some reason that irritates me. Speaking of, does anyone know which drill bit to use to ream those out to fit the SC shaft?

I still don't have my new batteries in but we should fly when they come in.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Belemnoid

ORIGINAL: Sinai

Yeah, it flies nice with that prop but I think it's got a little less zip than the GWS 10x6. I've got half a dozen of those, but they're orange and for some reason that irritates me. Speaking of, does anyone know which drill bit to use to ream those out to fit the SC shaft?
I use a small round file. The file will taper the hole and allow the prop to seat squarely on the washers or seats of prop adapter. If you drill the hole, and it isn't perfectly square to the mounting surfaces, you can have a severe wobble because the prop won't be perpendicular to the shaft. If you drill it too big, it won't stay centered, which will cause it to be unbalanced.

If you don't have a reamer, just use a small round file and gently enlarge the hole, from the backside, until it just slips over the shaft.
grubby
Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Anyone have suggestions for the best clearcoat? My yellow paint is leaving paint dust on everything it touches! Kinda looks like pollen all over my car's interior...not cool!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 PM

Ihad wondered about this myself. I originally wanted to just clearcoat the stock plane, but no one had any ideas about a clearcoat.

I have found that the acrylic paint I used is holding up well. I will come off if the plane takes a hit, but otherwise it's OK. No paint dust anywhere. Iused a brush-on as opposed to spray paint, meaning that the paint is much thicker, and touch-ups are easy. It worked especially well on the tail section.

It does not stick well to the plastic parts, however.I did not sand or prime the cowl, and just today decided to repaint it. The oldpaint practically fell off when I tried to remove it, like taking wrapping paper off a Christmas present.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:52 AM
My Feedback: (81)

I use the Clear coat that you can buy at wally world, Krylon crystal clear
Old 07-25-2009, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the tips....BUT I totalled my plane last night!

Wing snapped off while going into a loop and the Cub rocketed into the ground from about 100 feet. Cowl/nose of the plane is smashed and separated from the rest of the fuselage. The midzone of the fuse is crunched up and cracked. None of the electronics work...(that surprised me). The only good things left are the right wing (which floated away in midflight),  the tail section, and my expensive battery (WHEW)! I tried to piece the rest of the plane back together, but it's not looking so hot!

Darn Murphy was right....the amount of time you spend modifying is indirectly proportional to the amount of successful flight time! haha

Oh well...it was about time to upgrade anyways!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:04 PM

OMG!!! That's a bummer, dude. Glad you have a good sense of humour about it! I've seen some foam flyers at the LHS that had been destroyed but lovingly rebuilt, so there may be hope. Like you said though, maybe better to go ahead and upgrade anyway rather than spend all the time, money, and energy rebuilding a starter plane.

I found a can of white enamel spray paint in the basement, and decided to try it as a primer on the plastic cowl. I took all the old paint off, sanded it lightly, then sprayed it with 2 coats. Worked GREAT. I reapplied the acrylic finished paint in 3 coats, and was impressed enough that I did the wing struts too.

Most likely I'll crash it next flight and be cursing Murphy as well!

Name:	Gd93985.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1244070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72133.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1244071  
Old 07-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Yea, it's a bummer. Not my starter plane though. More of a anytime-anywhere airplane. I have flown a few trainers and foamie jets. I wanted to try something different. While it lasted it was great! Yea, I tried to redeem the plane, but after I put a whole tube of thick CA, other glue and wood skewers into it, it still wasn't going to be anywhere near airworthy!

Very nice paint job though! Mine didn't come nearly as shiny as that! Good luck keeping it airborne and airworthy!

Best of luck to the rest of you other crazy Cub'ers. It's been good getting and giving advice to all of ya.

Peace.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:36 PM

BTW...I have my Cub batteries for sale...I have 4 minus the one involved in the crash...so 3 are listed here on RCU if you want to check them out. I'm selling them cheap, so don't wait if you want a look.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:19 PM

Here's my newly painted nose cowl after it's first flight...

Still like new! Sand and prime - it's the only way!

Name:	Sq46649.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1244719  
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 PM

I just got my new lipo's today,,cheap off Ebay,,they realy rip,,Lipo is the best upgrade for the SC IMOP....My backyard flyer always
Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 PM

What size lipos are you using? 1300's 3 cells?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: eghershey

What size lipos are you using? 1300's 3 cells?
I got these, 30$ for two,,didn't think too bad? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150357373234 work great!! fit with no mods...they're 1500 mah 3 cell,,,half throttle's like full with stock batt's...I got an accucell 6 charger awhile back, and it work's fine....
Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 PM

Here's a moment of silence for a fellow cubber, and anyone else who totalled their planes. We've all been there. I care. And Sorry to hear about that.

...it was an awesome looking SuperCub in glorious yellow.
And i hope you get up and find wings again , whatever you fly...

gws, great deal ! Man, i'm diggin on that 2 for 30 bucks. I got 2 from "Go Market" on Ebay too. That seller hooks it up!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Yea Sinai, there Mystery batts,,I'm gonna go easy on them,,see how long I can make em last.... Probably not long, I got a heavy left thumb,,,
Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 AM

Iwas reviewing my local rc club's membership, flight rules, and training program tonight...gave me a renewed appreciation for having a park flyer!!! I was considering getting a 0.40gas trainer but now I'mthinking twice!!

I made some mods to the wing settings on the fuselage of mySC...the foam was getting a bitworn such that the wing was able to move front to back a bit and not necessarily stay straight. I cut a foam strip to match the plastic reinforcement on the front of the wing and glued it above the windshield area, then cut another piece to match the backof the wing and glued it on, and painted the grafting to match.The wingfits on perfectly now,a snug fitthat stays in place. I used the packing material as a donor.

Also, of interest, here a pic of what enamel spray paint does to foam!! Tested it out on the packing material...don't try this at home!

Name:	Om32235.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1245567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37417.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1245568  
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 AM

Nice work on the SC, looks good...Don't get turned off by one club,,,check around,,,unless none other close by ?? Once you go glow,you won't turn back,,,,wait,I still love flying the SC in the yard,at work,at the field....Oh well,,,best of all,,,,it's all about flying whatever, wherever

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.