Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

ORIGINAL: FirebirdCdr2

GWS,

I'm gonna trust you, and start using my cheap sim also. LOL. So I can have my Cessna flying like a pro.

Firbird
Which one do you have?? Maybe I can give you some tips to make it work better,,gotta cheat em some and it will help with your Cessna flying....
Old 08-07-2009, 01:31 AM

Nothing but rain this week so I been grounded. However, it gave me some time to shop...

So Ibought a glow plane! A guy not 3 minutes away from me got a Hobbico Superstar Select RTF as a gift, decided he didn't want to fly it, and sold it to me for next to nothing. It's unused!! Came with an OS0.40 engine, Futaba 4 channel radio, electric prop spinner, fuel pump,a sparewooden propeller, a trainer link cable, oil, charger, everything but fuel.

I also bought a cheap sim (FMS 2.0 Alpha 8.5) from the LHS. Can't put it down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29832.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1251602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25848.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1251603  
Old 08-07-2009, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: dea2287

Nothing but rain this week so I been grounded. However, it gave me some time to shop...

So I bought a glow plane! A guy not 3 minutes away from me got a Hobbico Superstar Select RTF as a gift, decided he didn't want to fly it, and sold it to me for next to nothing. It's unused!! Came with an OS 0.40 engine, Futaba 4 channel radio, electric prop spinner, fuel pump, a spare wooden propeller, a trainer link cable, oil, charger, everything but fuel.

Great find! I have a generic that looks just like yours. I belong to a local club and they have a training night where I train with an instructor on the buddy box. I still like my Super Cub to just pop out to the park whenever I have a little time. In fact I either want to replace it with the LP or get something with ailerons. - John

Name:	Vt57293.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1251884  
Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 PM

what is the most wind you can fly the super cub in? i feel like my stock batterys dont provide enuf power to fly abouve 7 mph winds and that that is still preaty skechy. do you think with 11.1 volt lipos the supercub can fly in 14 mph winds.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: manuel frias

what is the most wind you can fly the super cub in? i feel like my stock batterys dont provide enuf power to fly abouve 7 mph winds and that that is still preaty skechy. do you think with 11.1 volt lipos the supercub can fly in 14 mph winds.
The manual cautions to not fly in over 7-8 MPH winds - the plane is light so will get tossed around a lot. The real danger is landing in higher winds without damage unless your more experienced. My SC seems kind of tired - I don't think I get the speed out of it as when new - even with the 8 cell battery. I have had it pointed into the wind with no forward motion but I don't have a wind gauge so couldn't say what wind speed I am comfortable in but usually try for calm winds. Sorry I can't be more specific. - John
Old 08-07-2009, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: jw0847

So I bought a glow plane! A guy not 3 minutes away from me got a Hobbico Superstar Select RTF as a gift, decided he didn't want to fly it, and sold it to me for next to nothing. It's unused!! Came with an OS 0.40 engine, Futaba 4 channel radio, electric prop spinner, fuel pump, a spare wooden propeller, a trainer link cable, oil, charger, everything but fuel.

Great find! I have a generic that looks just like yours. I belong to a local club and they have a training night where I train with an instructor on the buddy box. I still like my Super Cub to just pop out to the park whenever I have a little time. In fact I either want to replace it with the LP or get something with ailerons. - John
That's great John,,thought you were sticking with electric? Can't resist the smell of glow fuel, can ya??
Old 08-07-2009, 10:26 PM

And a glow we go,,,,don't forget the SC,,it got you here,,,LIPO's make it a whole new bird....I'm putting this in the air tomorrow...

Name:	Bz79015.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1252090  
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: gws_003

That's great John,,thought you were sticking with electric? Can't resist the smell of glow fuel, can ya??
Well - I thought the 40 size trainer would be more appropriate for the field especially grass take offs. Last Wednesday Ray was flying his 60 size electric and made me re-think glow though. That big a plane really performed well - of course the pilot helps. He has 2 batteries as big as bricks - and a giant motor on that homemade plane - probably a 6 foot wing span. John
Old 08-07-2009, 11:58 PM

Yea, I've seen Ray's big electric,,there's some money in batt's and charger's,,,,even tho he built the A123 packs himself,,,but it does fly nice [8D] And that's not a cheap motor....
Old 08-08-2009, 09:17 AM

So Ibought a glow plane! A guy not 3 minutes away from me got a Hobbico Superstar Select RTF as a gift, decided he didn't want to fly it, and sold it to me for next to nothing. It's unused!! Came with an OS0.40 engine, Futaba 4 channel radio, electric prop spinner, fuel pump,a sparewooden propeller, a trainer link cable, oil, charger, everything but fuel.

Great lookingplane!! I thought it would be cool to have one of each. You can't beat the simplicity of the electric park flyer; you just plug in the battery and go, just about anywhere you want. But glow planes offer great performance and almost unlimited scale, and you don't have to worry as much about a little breeze spoiling your day. They're just more fussy with the engine tuning, fuels, starters, and having to go to a special field which often has membership dues and insurance requirements. It will be my "special outing" plane.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 AM

BTW, John - I had a look at the E-Flite T-34 Mentor at the LHS...it would make a super second park flyer!

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Pr...ProdID=EFL4800
Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 PM

GWS,

It's real cheapy one, It's the E sky sim (fms).

firebird
Old 08-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Twoslick,

Sounding like a sailor is a good thing.

firebird
Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 PM

ORIGINAL: FirebirdCdr2

GWS,

It's real cheapy one, It's the E sky sim (fms).

firebird
That's the one I got first,,it's not bad, used it alot,, then I got the clearview one, which is a pay for download,,,and you can use the controller from FMS or your own if you get a cable,,,I'm using the fms controller,,, http://rcflightsim.com/ This one can be adjusted allot more ie controls are more adjustable,like trimming a real plane,,,, I just checked at clearview,and they bumped the price 10$ since I got it about 3 months ago,,,,still not bad compared to 200$-300$ for realflight.....[&o]
Old 08-11-2009, 04:00 AM

FirebirdCdr2,
I agree with you ! I was a sailor and I guess I will always be LOL!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM

Hello all,new to the site and rc planes,I bought a mini super cub for my first plane this is how it went....... build,charge,fly....took it out into a nearby feild decided it was a bit to windy for me so I opted to try the first flight in the yard(thought it was big enough lol)anyway aplied full throtle and threw it up wow Im fling now turning and flying got it up about 70-80' started another mild turn to avoid a tree,before I new it the landing gear cought a branch and there she stayed.....So I reviewd all my tree climbing abilities boy is 75' in the air high up but I did get it down only lost my front landing gear.So now I know to only fly in open areas duh!second fly went of without a hitch did 2 circles and came in for a landing without a hitch im also landing in grass so it does nose over due to wheel size but I did upgrade to 2'' wheels and put 1 of the the old fronts on the back so it can handle a little rougher terain.So far I have 7 runs on this unit I can now do loops,hard dives with big loops....this thing is just to much fun.I was wondering has anybody tried a bigger batt than the 7.4v 300mahlipo and also will this unit handle more power?anyway just thought Id share my experiance with you all,and a few questions,the super cub will be next on the list.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Well - I made an impulse buy today on eBay. I purchased the Super Cub LP from hobb-e-mart. They sell units as "parts" - they indicated the ESC was bad and the photos were of the actual plane - which looked good. I have a brand new ESC for channel 3 which this plane was - so I bid and won. I paid $122 plus $10.80 shipping. I called the seller and asked about the condition and he said it was "good" - so I took the chance. I just paid for it via Pay Pal and I hope to receive it Friday or Monday since it is coming from IL and I am in Ohio.

They have a lot of planes as "parts" - I wonder what the deal is with them...

My original SC has seen it's better days and I thought this option would be better that fixing up th old one. Stay tuned - I will let you know how this plane does.

John
Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 PM

I've seen their auctions. Sometimes you can get a really good deal. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Well, just picked up a HSSuper Cub for my birthday (thanks Fiance) and am already kicking myself as I didn't tell her to get me the LPversion....unfortunately I've already unboxed and flown a few times and there's absolutely no chance I can return.

Am I an idiot?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Nope, not an idiot. Get comfortable flying it with the Nimh packs. Then you can just pull the jumper and switch to lipos. No loss.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Are there any side effects of doing that? I have read that I will get more power out of the LiPos?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: jvermast

Are there any side effects of doing that? I have read that I will get more power out of the LiPos?
Yes, there is more power and the only time that you really can appreciate that extra power is on takeoff in grass. As said, pull the jumper and a good 1300 lipo will fit and you'll thank everyone for the suggestion. BTW: The only downside to doing the conversion as opposed to buying the lipo cub to start with is the need for a lipo charger. THe lipo cub comes with it, the nickle cub comes with a nickle charger.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:10 PM

jw0847
Glad you got a good deal. The batteries really drive up the cost (S&H can be a killer too). Once you get enough batteries accumulated you could try here

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...s/index-2.html

They include everything except the battery, radio and assembly instructions (you tell them what channel and they install that ESC/receiver) About the only difference between this and an RTF is you'll also have to put on the included decals.

jvermast
Just remove the little jumper on the ESC/receiver, plug in your favorite Li Po and you're good to go. Here's a pic (courtesy of SCC) of the ESC, the jumper is a tiny plug that site right above where the ACT sensors plug in.

Rimripper
Most flyers that use a Li Po in the SC go with the 11.1 volt 3S1P and 15 to 20 C. Mah is another story. I get 1550s from here
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7311
because they're cheap but 1300s are my favorite. Some folks go with 2200s for the longer fight time, but pay the weight penalty, your call... Have you flown with 7.4 volt 300 mah batteries? Just out of curiosity, what were they like? (power, flight time and volts remaining in the battery)

Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Ok thx for the info patmatgal,I am wondering about the mini-cub though,the 7.4 300mah are agood batt to say it comes with the plane but im after longer flight times,it is my first plane so im new to all this,the mini-cub runs of a 180 motor,like I said just wanting to know what batts to get for longer flight times,I just dont want to put to much load on the esc and COOK IT,wondering can I put 900-1300mah 7.4 to this unit,I get about 6-10 min on the stock batt. like you know its all in howw much throttle you use,I like to spiral up high and it tends to be more enjoyable flight crusing high with low throttle I can run it for 10-12 min,Im going to take it out again in a bit so Ill time the batt life,I also changed the clevis mounts for the elevator and rudder to the middle holes for more raduis and harder lift,all in all I LOVE FLYING!

Name:	Zx71883.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1254430  
Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 PM

Well, the HZ chargers are crap anyway so you'd likely end up buying a real charger at some point. I did.

BTW, I have three Nimh packs with probably less than 10 cycles a piece on them. Would sell them all for less than HZ wants for one if your interested. Two 7-cell and one 8-cell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.