Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

Firebird
That T 34 Cub is looking good. Bet when you do a slow fly by it just about screams out "Look at me!" Job well done.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:38 PM

man those planes look good! wow .

Manual, i love those batts too. that's my favorite seller on ebay for lipos. I've bought from "Go market" a couple times now. Great performance and no problems whatsoever. My flight times are easily 15 -20 minutes with those batts but i usually come down for batt-change at about 10 -12 minutes because i fly over the water at sunset without floats.

gws, it might as well been a get away to paradise. I just spent time with my wife and toddler over the wkend by turning the TV off and the PC off. Quality time. BUT, i Flew the SC lots by just keeping it in my trunk. Sat night, Sun morning, afternoon, and will go after work tonight too. again, quality time

Glad you got to fly firebird. Man those planes look sweet.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Sinai

man those planes look good! wow .

Manual, i love those batts too. that's my favorite seller on ebay for lipos. I've bought from ''Go market'' a couple times now. Great performance and no problems whatsoever. My flight times are easily 15 -20 minutes with those batts but i usually come down for batt-change at about 10 -12 minutes because i fly over the water at sunset without floats.

gws, it might as well been a get away to paradise. I just spent time with my wife and toddler over the wkend by turning the TV off and the PC off. Quality time. BUT, i Flew the SC lots by just keeping it in my trunk. Sat night, Sun morning, afternoon, and will go after work tonight too. again, quality time

Glad you got to fly firebird. Man those planes look sweet.
That's cool, Sinai,,family time is most important,,,I also do the get away from everything that's daily,change up the routine,,my kids are older,,but still gotta have time together,,,then fly,fly,fly....
Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: dea2287

Also, of interest, here a pic of what enamel spray paint does to foam!! Tested it out on the packing material...don't try this at home!

Might be true for just plain old foam, but for Z-Foam, you can use practically any type of spray paint.

Firebird, gws, eghershey, sinai, good to see y'all are still flying high.

I've been grounded, the temps here are around 115 everyday, with my setup on my planes, the lipos puff up too bad, so I got them on ice all summer long.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: itzobi

ORIGINAL: dea2287

Also, of interest, here a pic of what enamel spray paint does to foam!! Tested it out on the packing material...don't try this at home!

Might be true for just plain old foam, but for Z-Foam, you can use practically any type of spray paint.

Firebird, gws, eghershey, sinai, good to see y'all are still flying high.

I've been grounded, the temps here are around 115 everyday, with my setup on my planes, the lipos puff up too bad, so I got them on ice all summer long.
Have you thought about the jump to glow planes,,,run them rich and heats not a problem,,,It's never been that hot around here, just humid,,,stay cool itzobi...[8D][8D]
Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: FirebirdCdr2

Made time to day, and flew my Cub.... I turned the cell phone off and went for what i know!!!! Omg!! I was so relaxed, However I'm waiting on my parts for my cessna, so i can keep learning, how to get used to flying ailerons, But my cub is doing the flight satisfying trick.

Firebird
Firebird - you mention your Cessna - which one do you have? Wing span? I have been thinking about another plane - maybe a Cessna, as a next foam plane to my Super cub. I have been looking at [link=http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplanes/hcaa42-cessna182/index.html]Hobbico FlyZone Cessna 182 Skylane(47.5"WS)[/link], [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2725]Apprentice 15e RTF with DX5e Radio by E-flite(58"WS)[/link], or[link=http://easytigermodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_ id=52] EASY TIGER MODELS Cessna 185 Floatplane/landplane RTF(60" WS)[/link]. I didn't want to put in the mods to my Super Cub as it is starting to get kind of beat up and shabby looking and in need of repairs - (too much tape holding it together). I have even thought about a new SC LP. I want something I can repair easy so not a balsa plane. Just curious as to what other Super Cub owners may be flying.
Thanks - John
Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Other planes I fly:
A Slow-Stick. Great learners plane and great nearly fly in the backyard plane. On a calm day you can walk next to it as it flys if you want. I've put a huge number of hours on it, its on its second brushless motor.
Pulse XL - Balsa plane and very quick and pretty good stunt flying although not a real stunt plane. Only fault is it seems to land at a 100 mph (well, it seems that fast to me )
Just got a Super Miss - Balsa plane and pretty big but it looks like its going to be a really a very stable plane, much like the cub with ailerons. Saw a video and really liked what I saw. I rebuilt a very large gas plane for a friend just for the fun and experience of it and he was so pleased, he gave me the Super Miss. All I have to do is add motor and electronics, such a deal.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM

Hey Sinai, I think it's time to hit the astroturf again.....
Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: eghershey

Other planes I fly:
A Slow-Stick. Great learners plane and great nearly fly in the backyard plane. On a calm day you can walk next to it as it flys if you want. I've put a huge number of hours on it, its on its second brushless motor.
Pulse XL - Balsa plane and very quick and pretty good stunt flying although not a real stunt plane. Only fault is it seems to land at a 100 mph (well, it seems that fast to me )
Just got a Super Miss - Balsa plane and pretty big but it looks like its going to be a really a very stable plane, much like the cub with ailerons. Saw a video and really liked what I saw. I rebuilt a very large gas plane for a friend just for the fun and experience of it and he was so pleased, he gave me the Super Miss. All I have to do is add motor and electronics, such a deal.
I kind of like the looks and price of the Super Miss - the Pulse XL seems on the big side for an electric - I bet the 6000MAH 4S3P battery is expensive. - Thanks for the feedback! - John
Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: jw0847

a friend just for the fun and experience of it and he was so pleased, he gave me the Super Miss. All I have to do is add motor and electronics, such a deal.
I kind of like the looks and price of the Super Miss - the Pulse XL seems on the big side for an electric - I bet the 6000MAH 4S3P battery is expensive. - Thanks for the feedback! - John
[/quote]
Actually I'm presently using a 1300 mah 3 cell on the PulseXL right now, (nearly 5 minutes of fly time) just ordered two 2200 mah batteries from RCHotDeals.com. BTW: RCHotDeals has very good prices for the lipo crowd, $34.00 for the 2200 mah and $22.00 for the 1300 mah's. Great prices but there is no guarantee on these, but I've been using four of the 1300's for about 4 months and they are holding up very well.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Belemnoid

Hey Sinai, I think it's time to hit the astroturf again.....
agreed
sounds great I'll pm you

Old 08-05-2009, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: jw0847

Made time to day, and flew my Cub.... I turned the cell phone off and went for what i know!!!! Omg!! I was so relaxed, However I'm waiting on my parts for my cessna, so i can keep learning, how to get used to flying ailerons, But my cub is doing the flight satisfying trick.

Firebird
Firebird - you mention your Cessna - which one do you have? Wing span? I have been thinking about another plane - maybe a Cessna, as a next foam plane to my Super cub. I have been looking at [link=http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplanes/hcaa42-cessna182/index.html]Hobbico FlyZone Cessna 182 Skylane(47.5''WS)[/link], [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2725]Apprentice 15e RTF with DX5e Radio by E-flite(58''WS)[/link], or[link=http://easytigermodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_ id=52] EASY TIGER MODELS Cessna 185 Floatplane/landplane RTF(60'' WS)[/link]. I didn't want to put in the mods to my Super Cub as it is starting to get kind of beat up and shabby looking and in need of repairs - (too much tape holding it together). I have even thought about a new SC LP. I want something I can repair easy so not a balsa plane. Just curious as to what other Super Cub owners may be flying.
Thanks - John
What I would really like to find is a Super Cub LP size plane - with ailerons, brush less motor, standard electronics so I can use the DX7 and floats that can be taken off on on easily. I don't want to make these mods myself because of cost and effort - I think it is more cost effective to purchase a plane with these features. Is this asking for too much? John
Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Picture this:

you're standing 25' away from a tree and flying your super cub while facing the tree. Beyond the tree is wide open space.

Behind you are trees about the same distance away as well. Flying toward yourself, coast the Super cub down low between you and the tree and then as it passes by, bank away at full throttle, back out into the wide open. Complete the U-turn out of your climb and cut the throttle when the cub is facing you. Do it again from the opposite direction. You never lose visual of the Super cub. It's flying in a in a "U-shaped" Oval pattern, and it's scary using a tree and putting the SC between the tree and you. I really enjoy flirting with landings without actually touching down. Just climb away, make a U-turn and do it again from the other direction. Back and forth. Even without the tree it's really fun.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
My Feedback: (81)

Sounds fun and similiar with touch and goes, just a little different.

How about doing dives and saving it just before it hits the ground. I call that flirting with disaster
Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the good comments on my planes.

GWS,

Yeah i have sim, I have not been using it. I know i should be. I will be using it again very soon.

Firebird
Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 PM

jw0847,

I have the flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane Select. Here are the specs:

Wingspan: 47.5 in (1,205 mm)
Wing Area: 339 in² (21.9 dm²)
Weight: 37.0 oz (1,050 g)
Wing Loading: 15.7 oz/ft² (48 g/dm²)
Length: 39 in (990 mm)

I have heard very good things about the Apprentice 15e. I love my Cessna, but it's a bit sensitive, so i'm gonna be using my sim for a minute before I try and put it back in the air again. I really like my Cessna, but I really need to practice on my sim.

I think i'm gonna get the Super Cub LP. Can't Help it, Addicted to super cubs. LOL

Firebird
Old 08-05-2009, 08:19 PM

jw0847,

I have the flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane Select. Here are the specs:

Wingspan: 47.5 in (1,205 mm)
Wing Area: 339 in² (21.9 dm²)
Weight: 37.0 oz (1,050 g)
Wing Loading: 15.7 oz/ft² (48 g/dm²)
Length: 39 in (990 mm)

I have heard very good things about the Apprentice 15e. I love my Cessna, but it's a bit sensitive, so i'm gonna be using my sim for a minute before I try and put it back in the air again. I really like my Cessna, but I really need to practice on my sim.

I think i'm gonna get the Super Cub LP. Can't Help it, Addicted to super cubs. LOL

Firebird
A flyingbuddyof mine just got the Apprentice. It flew very well and undercontrol. BTW: Hes a very experienced Super Cub flyer, Nich batteries only.....
After two mornings of about 5or 6 batteries, the Apprentice just flat ran out of radio range at about 400 yards. Down it came nose first. I bought the wreck for pennies on the dollar and will use the electronics in another plane. I guess what I"M saying is: Make sure you do a range check every time you fly it.....frankly I'm afraid of the receiver from the unit, haven't had achance to try it out yet.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Sinai

Picture this:

you're standing 25' away from a tree and flying your super cub while facing the tree. Beyond the tree is wide open space.

Behind you are trees about the same distance away as well. Flying toward yourself, coast the Super cub down low between you and the tree and then as it passes by, bank away at full throttle, back out into the wide open. Complete the U-turn out of your climb and cut the throttle when the cub is facing you. Do it again from the opposite direction. You never lose visual of the Super cub. It's flying in a in a ''U-shaped'' Oval pattern, and it's scary using a tree and putting the SC between the tree and you. I really enjoy flirting with landings without actually touching down. Just climb away, make a U-turn and do it again from the other direction. Back and forth. Even without the tree it's really fun.
Hey Sinai, you talking straight up,rudder ,straight down then pull out,,,,stall turn or hammerhead,,,great fun....heck, it's all fun can't wait to get this in the air,maybe thisweekend?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71477.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1251022  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 PM

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the good comments on my planes.

GWS,

Yeah i have sim, I have not been using it. I know i should be. I will be using it again very soon.

Firebird
Trust me,,using a sim makes a world of difference,,even cheap ones,,that's what I have.....every crash is free
Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 AM

There has been some suggestions on here about putting a Popsicle stick behind the wing. Does anyone have a picture concerning that - how to actually do it right? Send to me directly is that is easiest.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Try this from RC groups thread:
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10564419#post10564419]reinforcement[/link]
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM

frickin aye. That's bad. I love pictures of how they do this stuff. I really need to do that to mine too.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Belemnoid, Thanks for the link. Very good for us visual learners.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 PM

GWS,

I'm gonna trust you, and start using my cheap sim also. LOL. So I can have my Cessna flying like a pro.

Firbird
Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Sinai, you sound like u may be a sailor !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.