Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 PM
maiden-crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Andrew, John and Bleary thank you very much boys. Andrew, I reckon Ill be checking every everything before and after every flight I had a fingerprint on the canopy and scrubbed hard with some windex to get it off, thats how obsessive Im getting with this Extra. Im still awaiting your maiden with the Suk, hurry up and finish it!

My battery shipped out already from HC. Ahh the beauty of paying a little Extra for EMS type shipping... Pun 100% intended.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Andrew86

ORIGINAL: maiden-crash
Im still awaiting your maiden with the Suk, hurry up and finish it!
Haha I haven't been flying enough lately and I don't feel confident enough to fly it, I figure as long as it isn't finished I won't be tempted to try my luck with it. I'm just getting back into regular flying having had a while off it.

One day
Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 AM
The_Mongrel

MC - make sure you get some Vid dude. Would love to see it in action.

Cheers
-J
Old 12-01-2008, 01:21 AM
tmc_2

Hey guys,

The impossible happened to me on sunday.

I was flying out in the hectres of space where i normally fly with the car park safley to my back as usual.
I was flying my PA Katanan MD using all the recomended PA gear including the Blue Birl metal gear servos.
Plane was 3 weeks 15 flights old. Elevator servo failed and jammed full down, sent the plane doing outside loop after outsiide loop, it hte suddenly goes back to straight but i still only have aileron and rudder. By the time i worked out what control i had the plane was well and trully where i dont want it to be! from about 3 power poles high it dives straight down and through the windscreen of my car!!! i completedly lost its and smashed the Katana into as many little peices i could! I will never use blue bird metal gear servos again and will stick to hitec hs 56 and 65s and HXT900.

I could not car less about loosing the plane but smashing my car window was it for me! on sunday i decided to sell up every thing and give the hobby away, feel like i am wasting too many hours of my life during hte week preparing for 2 hours of weekend flying.

Since sunday my best mate has convinced me to stick with it so i am keeping a 3d foamy and a striker but have sold off everything else i have.
I will be taking a few steeps back form thsi hobby and just enjoying the basics form now on.

I must admit its one of those impossible scenarios you would normally laugh about!! i guess i am just lucky it was my car and it only smashed the window, no panel damage.
Last time i trust and manufactures 'recomended servos'
Old 12-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Budmulla

ORIGINAL: Andrew86

ORIGINAL: Budmulla

Andrew, what are your three birds like to fly, i have contemplated buying the same planes recently.
Out of those three which is the least handful ... and what's the gemini like to fly?
.... Sorry about the essay!

Hey dont be sorry! Thanks for your thoughts man!
Theres only so much reading and looking one can do ... nothing beats first hand experience, and i thank you ... and Rowdy for your comments.

My LHS has no formosa or funjets in stock at the moment but they do have 2 Gemini's... from the reports its tempting but the stalls and the fact that it needs to be "FLOWN" constantly are something to consider.
But i will have to tackle the bipes oneday!

Also seen a plane yesterday that looked interesting a Spacewalker II comes with a park 450 (I think) for around $159.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Budmulla

TMC what a bummer .... any pics

Seriously though sometimes bad luck just happens!
Look on the bright side, at least you will soon have a nice new clear windscreen!

Hope ya keep at it!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 AM
clovus

Wooah!

What are the chances of that happening. If you'd video'd it you coulda made $500 from Funniest Home videos. As soon as I read you were using the BlueBird servo's I was thinking.....hmmm I wonder how you find them. I guess I know now. I have them in the Addiction, but don't particularly care for them myself and are on my list to get rid off.

Bleary, how do you find them?

MC,

Remember it's only a plane, they are there to provide fun, redefine our boundaries, our skills and teach us to improve. I love the new plane jitters and am always a bit disappointed when they go away, but I reckon there's something bigger and better in your future. Use this one as another stepping stone.

clovus
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 AM
clovus

Rowdy,

I like it, kind of reminds me of the Corby Starlet. Nice and big too! Could be expensive to convert to electric though. I always fall into the trap of going "oh yeah it's only $100 for the plane" not remembering the cost of getting everything else. At 2.9 kg's its definately going to need a 5 or 6S, maybe GV can chime in with what sort of setup you'd need.

clovus
Old 12-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Andrew86

TMC mate that's just shocking luck. I know how you feel about the hobby too, I pranged 3 birds in one outing one morning and just threw in the towel for a couple of months. Then you'll see the trees perfectly stationary one evening and have a little craving and before you know it you'll be back in it.

Like you said I think it's important to keep it simple. Cheap, easy to build planes with cheerful set ups is the way to go

Chin up, on the bright side it'll make an awesome boxing day bbq story over a few beers
Old 12-01-2008, 02:49 AM
clovus

It just seems strange to me that PA, who have built a name for top notch quality and innovation recommend Blue Bird Servo's. Two of my servo's buzz, jitter occasionally and don't centre very well. Even from brand new. Maybe they have a special friendship with the manufacturer?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:59 AM
maiden-crash

Clovus, I know you are right but I really like this one. Ive always wanted a plane this size and I guess this ones more special to me than the rest.

I went out for another fly just then. What an awesosome plane. I coul really feel the momentum carry it through each maneuvre. It snaps and tumbles unreal, first plane I can Knife and snap back to knife since my Prodigy. i found out it can hover and it can't harrier. I'll explore those aspects a little further down the track but honestly they dont interest me at the moment. It also knifes great, no imputs outside of rudder were needed.

I also noticed it look a little smaller than it did yesterday
Old 12-01-2008, 04:04 AM
bleary

Nice one MC,sounds like a keeper mate.
TMC that is bad luck with the KMD,maybe try the Extra 260 which I really like,all your gear will slot straight in although perhaps you better get different servos! Go on,show us the photos,we love a good crash photo mate!
Reuben,how did that little bipe go you showed us a while back,I meant to ask about that one.
Bleary.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 AM
tmc_2

thanks for the words of support guys. I dont mind loosing a plane as i have plenty but going through the windscreen of my bmw of all places to crash lol
I can post up a pic of the smashed windscreen but as for the plane it was one of those you had to be there moment.
Pictue this - a normally calm collected guy flying p;acidly then calling out i have lost elevator its going in!@!! 5 sec later smash into the window of the beema while spraying balso over the car next to it. Then picture me droping my remote piciking up the Katana fuse by te landing gear and smashing it against the closest pole!! lol then going mental and crunching any peice bigger than a match box and ribbing out my gear!! then smashing my bent lipo on the ground!!

Lol no one a tthe feild would make eye contac tor say anythign to me after that lmao

I will never use blue bird servos thats for sure.
I think PA sell themas they like to have all their accessories as an 'exclusive' like the motors. its a shame the servos are no good, definently go hitec!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:03 AM
reuben199

ORIGINAL: bleary

Nice one MC,sounds like a keeper mate.
TMC that is bad luck with the KMD,maybe try the Extra 260 which I really like,all your gear will slot straight in although perhaps you better get different servos! Go on,show us the photos,we love a good crash photo mate!
Reuben,how did that little bipe go you showed us a while back,I meant to ask about that one.
Bleary.

Hey Bleary,
The bipe went good, a bit over powered for what it is but once I worked out that it only needed 1/4 throttle it was good, not very exciting but really relaxing, it could fly at a walking pace, its going to be my indoor flyer as the club I'm joining has a monthly indoor meeting.
My new great planes Fokker DVII arrived today, very cool but both ailerions were broken [:@] its fixable but I think I'll get a mate to cover them for me the the supplier I got it off took $30 off for the damage so it only cost me $120, I really can't complain.
Reuben
Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Andrew86

Everyone seen the "smiley face" in the sky tonight? The moon, venus and Jupiter are all next to each other - quite a sight.

cheers
Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
clovus

MC,

A smaller battery will make a difference if you can get CoG (maybe why it had the linkages for pull-pull on the rudder?). Throw in a hi C rated 2200mAh and see what happens.

clovus
Old 12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Woodsy

Well as the weather has been crap for flying I had a brain hemorrhage so I lashed out and bought a dingy for recovering float planes, I guess one advantage of being single is I can spend my money on what I want

Any one know a good engine builder that can squeeze a few more horses from the donk for me.

1998 LC series Seacraft with a bog stock 350.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
bleary

Woohoo! Very nice Woodsy! Even has your name on it very stylish.I am sure Machette will chime in on where/who/why to bolt a supercharger on to it to give it "respectable" power outputs...nice toy mate!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
The_Mongrel

NICE BOAT WOODSY!

TMC - I reckon I would go completely postal if I put a plane through the windscreen of my Lexus. Friggin hell mate, I am so sorry to hear that!!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Rowdy_b64

ORIGINAL: tmc_2
I must admit its one of those impossible scenarios you would normally laugh about!! i guess i am just lucky it was my car and it only smashed the window, no panel damage.
Last time i trust and manufactures 'recomended servos'
Holy carp batman!!
TMC .. so sorry to hear about your disaster. I can only hope that something like that doesn't happen to us at PP. We have had so many accidents of late .. that i'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone or somecar gets damaged. At least the boys have put in a Frequency Board on the big tree ... after 2 clash crashes in as many weeks. (And one only 20 feet from the people)

All the best mate ...

Mong the Camera arrived ... nicely boxed ... can't wait to give it a blast on the Funjet this w/e

Bud .. no probs mate .. don't be scared off with my comment about my Gem ... It is still a great plane .. I love it ... I think my setup needs a little tuning !

Cheers
Rowdy
Old 12-01-2008, 06:37 PM
The_Mongrel

Thanks Rowdy.

I must say that we are getting a return rate that I am not real happy with. ACME swap them without question.... just a bit of a pain, and a small addition to my costs. But you get that I suppose!!

Let me know how she goes.

I you are looking for a good SD that seems to work well.... I use the SANDISK ULTRA 2 Cards. Dicky Smith has em for about $50 and the double as a USB card too!!!

Cheers
-J
Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM
tmc_2

Nice boat woodsy!

Hey Mongrel i did go postal!! nothing but match sticks left of the KMD very satisfying making all the pecies much smaller
Im getting the windscreen fixed tomorrow, kinda sux loosing a $700 plane then paying that again for a bmw windscreen.

I am going ot be the talk of the flying feild for ever! will have to find a new place to fly.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 PM
geoffviper

Yes it was my Birthday so it was a nice

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36944.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1082313  
Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
bleary

Mr Censor,if you are going to delete posts then please do us the courtesy to explain why or at the very least indicate that you have done it.There was nothing offensive about Woodsy' new boat and for heavens sake who is it hurting having us discuss a new boat rather than our planes for a minute.
I dont understand this sudden new obsession with censoring our thread,I think we have proved over the last few years that we can manage ourselves quite well.
Regards,
Bleary.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Andrew86

ORIGINAL: tmc_2
I am going ot be the talk of the flying feild for ever! will have to find a new place to fly.
Haha nah mate just go back and have a good laugh with everyone about it, these things do happen.

Hope the windscreen doesn't set you back too much. Does your car insurance offer one free windscreen replacement per year? I know a lot do, might be worth investigating - just leave the cause out of the conversation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.