Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Build your own PBF (Pizza Box Flyer, Flying Pizza Box)

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Build your own PBF (Pizza Box Flyer, Flying Pizza Box)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 07:15 PM
dbergsneider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Build your own PBF (Pizza Box Flyer, Flying Pizza Box)

yo no encontre cloroplast por que soy de colombia y eso no lo he visto nunk pero lo hize de balso como esta en las fotos de arriva y ahora lo estoy haciendo otra vez pero masiso para que aguante golpes por uqe el primer dia me diverti tanto que lo estreele 4 veces y las orillas quedaron hechas.... pero es un muy buen (avion) si asi se puede decir y lo puedes hacer de casi cualquier cosa.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:09 PM
jprice717

Any suggestions for a radio? I have a Futaba FP-T4FG but after doing some research I learned it is not an approved radio. I am looking to spend around $100-150
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM
jprice717

http://cgi.ebay.com/Futaba-4EX-4-Cha...QQcmdZViewItem

I just found this one on ebay. Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A Futaba 4EXA will work fine for a PBF since it has elevon mixing and exponential. They usually run around $140 for a brand new one. With some discount coupons and offers, it should cost even less.

Since you are apparently located in California, keep in mind that the 4EXA listed on the ebay site is being sold from Hong Kong and is on 40 mhz, which is not a legal RC frequency band in the USA.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:43 AM
jprice717

Thnaks for the heads up Dave. Good thing I didn't impulse buy that thing. I will shop around for one.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
UPTater

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

A Futaba 4EXA will work fine for a PBF since it has elevon mixing and exponential.
My 6EXA has no exponential on the rudder! Double check that 4EXA & make sure you gor good rudder - you'll need it. That's why I got a new 9CSuper-Dang-Duper now.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Dave McDonald

According to Futaba's web site, the 4EXA has expo on aileron, elevator, and rudder.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk40.html

Can anybody verify this?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Jontto

Will a pbf with only elevator and rudder work fine?
Old 08-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Dave McDonald

Will it fly? Yes.

Will you have good control while flying it? No.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:32 PM
UPTater

ORIGINAL: Jontto

I'd like to see somebody try that...
...from a distance.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:04 AM
aa2dd

Is anyone out there still flying pizza boxes?

Bruce
Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Dave McDonald

Wow! This thread is almost 5 years old, and it's still going with over 1400 posts!

After about a year of collecting dust, I started flying my old OS 25 FP PBF again about a month ago. It's still a blast to fly! One change I made was to enlarge the fin/rudder to 8"x8" with a 4" rudder. The larger fin and rudder improved the control in inverted harrier flight.

A recent thread on the probro site indicated there are at least half a dozen PBFs being actively flown there.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Thread bump...

I've read pages 1-35 and 35-45, and now my eyes are probably bloodshot.

I plan on building my own PBF tomorrow, and I have a design question...

Anyone ever try the Mini PBF on Spadtothebone.com? It uses a piece of Canadian gutter pipe as the fuse rather then a strip of pine, and I think it makes more sense aerodynamically because all the stuff is inside the fuse on the bottom, rather then ontop. I am going to pick up my 4'x8' sheet of coroplast tomorrow or Wedesday, and I think I'll build both the standard (pine spine) PBF and the Canadian gutter pipe one and see which flies better. The only problem I forsee with the Canadian gutter pipe one is that it will weigh more then the standard one. I plan on using an old OS .40LA for power, 10x6 prop, S3003 servos, and a 4 ounce tank.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Dave McDonald

I plan on using an old OS .40LA for power, 10x6 prop, S3003 servos, and a 4 ounce tank.
Good choices.....except you'll want to change the prop size to either a 10x4 or 11x4. The lower pitch prop will give you much more precise control of the propeller thrust output, and the higher RPMs will let the engine draw fuel better too.

No one in my local club has ever tried a Mini PBF, so I don't know how it compares to my PBF. If you're going to build both, I'm sure a lot of us would like to know your thoughts on how they compare.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
IBrakeForNobody

I plan on using an old OS .40LA for power, 10x6 prop, S3003 servos, and a 4 ounce tank.
Good choices.....except you'll want to change the prop size to either a 10x4 or 11x4. The lower pitch prop will give you much more precise control of the propeller thrust output, and the higher RPMs will let the engine draw fuel better too.

No one in my local club has ever tried a Mini PBF, so I don't know how it compares to my PBF. If you're going to build both, I'm sure a lot of us would like to know your thoughts on how they compare.
I was going to get a 10x4, but the LHS only had 10x6. Guess I'll have to crash it four times before I can get the right sized prop.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

# 1441, and actually McDonald never made one. He just recycled NASA's technology they used to fake the moon landings...LOL
Old 08-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Dave McDonald

ORIGINAL: OzMo

# 1441, and actually McDonald never made one. He just recycled NASA's technology they used to fake the moon landings...LOL
SHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

The chair landing videos were really done with surplus NASA stuff using smoke, mirrors, and wires.

Hey there OzMo! Good to hear from you!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:13 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ok jeeeez,
i have had the pieces to make one of these(or several )for years and just never got a "round tuit" so i guess its time to DO IT!
i actually found several perfect 2' square coro auction signs left up after the auction. so i was just really removing litter, honestly your honor . i have been off work for a few weeks after a "little" lamenctomy sooo now i can start building some easy stuff... nuttin' easier than a PBF and it fits in to my 5 LB. wieght lifting limit(if i don't go with a weedy motor)
Old 08-20-2007, 11:56 PM
IBrakeForNobody

My standard PBF is finally done. Weighs around 3lbs, OS .40LA engine, S3003s on elevons and rudder, HS-55 feather on throttle, electron 6 reciever, 600mAh 4.8v battery, 4 oz fuel tank, pine spine and engine mount, modified Du-bro profile landing gear.

I started my mini PBF (although it's the same size as the standard PBF), but the gutter pipe downspout is hard to cut without a band saw. I don't see how this one will fly though, because it will weigh around 4-5lbs on takeoff (I weighed all the components individually.) I'm going to modify the plans from SpadtotheBone.com for the mini PBF and eliminate the elevator, put in full span elevons, and a rudder, in the hopes that it'll hover with a little more control.

I won't take photos of the planes yet, because as superstition has it, if you take photos before the plane's maiden, you'll crash it (not that I'm superstitious .) Although, these are (from what I've read) pretty indestructable.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Dave McDonald

My standard PBF is finally done. Weighs around 3lbs, OS .40LA engine, S3003s on elevons and rudder, HS-55 feather on throttle, electron 6 reciever, 600mAh 4.8v battery, 4 oz fuel tank, pine spine and engine mount
You're using light servos, a light receiver, and the wood spine/motor mount. But I can't figure out how your PBF ended up at 3 lbs. It should be closer to 2.5 lbs. Does the landing gear weigh 8 ounces? If so, I'd recommend removing it since putting landing gear on a PBF is sort of like putting wheels on a boat. It really isn't needed.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:30 AM
IBrakeForNobody

My standard PBF is finally done. Weighs around 3lbs, OS .40LA engine, S3003s on elevons and rudder, HS-55 feather on throttle, electron 6 reciever, 600mAh 4.8v battery, 4 oz fuel tank, pine spine and engine mount
You're using light servos, a light receiver, and the wood spine/motor mount. But I can't figure out how your PBF ended up at 3 lbs. It should be closer to 2.5 lbs. Does the landing gear weigh 8 ounces? If so, I'd recommend removing it since putting landing gear on a PBF is sort of like putting wheels on a boat. It really isn't needed.
The landing gear, ultra lite Du-bro wheels, axles, foam rubber, and the engine I'm using probably add more weight. I was thinking of pulling the landing gear, but there is really no safe area to land a PBF at my field, because it's a smooth asphalt runway with gravel shoulders and not-so-forgiving dirt everywhere else. The landing gear is basically there so the prop doesn't hit the ground upon landing, because the dirt around the field is notorious for ripping gears out of planes and flipping them over, no matter how slow your approach is. [&o]
Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 PM
IBrakeForNobody

Well, I flew the Mini PBF today (the one that uses a gutter pipe as the fuse). It flies GREAT, despite having to fly it in a 20MPH sustained crosswind. I got about 10 minutes of flying out of it before I angled it wrong into the 20MPH wind, and it dove at full throttle from about 50 feet up into the ground before I could react. The plane is intact, the engine has dirt in it, and I still have to check the electronics. I still have yet to fly the standard (pine spine) PBF.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 PM
IBrakeForNobody

The Mini PBF has 7 flights on it now, and I maidened the standard PBF today (in a calmer 10MPH crosswind). My final verdict is that the Mini PBF is more of a high range plane, while the standard PBF is more of a low range plane. The Mini PBF flys best flying fast, and it can manuver well, but it can't really fly slow that well. It can fly slow, but I feel that it's harder to control and easy to over-correct. When I maidened the standard PBF, I almost planted it about 5 times till I got the hang of it. I flew it around at almost full throttle, and the wing bended and torqued, so it was almost impossible to trim. I flew it around at a high speed, and I felt more like the plane was flying me then I was flying the plane. At some points, it flipped around like a piece of paper when I got up to high altitude (higher winds up there). But, when I chopped the throttle, it flew much, much better. I could fly in a space probably about 50 feet by 50 feet comfortably.

I am going to see if I can fly one of these planes in the local RC airshow, and since I can only pick one, I'm still deadlocked on which one I'll fly. I like how the mini PBF flys, but the standard PBF seems like it shouldn't fly at all so it seems more amazing that it can fly. But, the standard PBF seems to handle more like a controllable piece of cardboard then the mini PBF, which flys more like a regular plane, which is why I'm favoring the mini PBF more at this time. Oh well, still got three weeks to decide.

All in all, I like both the PBFs, and for $20 worth of materials, it's probably the best and most fun RC I have used for the money invested.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM
toywizard

Hey check it out. Vyceroy! if you around you would appreciate an old blucore junkie! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOzZ9ikWKU

Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Dave McDonald

Wow, this thread is over 5 years old and it still hasn't died. [8D]

Here's some recent PBF Combat action from the 2007 Eldon ProBro:

http://www.mmrca.org/e3d2007/e3d2007_pbfcombat_640.wmv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.