Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Getting back into RC: Looking for advice/warnings

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting back into RC: Looking for advice/warnings

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:41 PM
BadDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into RC: Looking for advice/warnings

Life conspired to drive me away from RC about 5 years ago. I just started cycling battery packs and cleaning engines. All my stuff was gold stickered, so I am assuming they are still legit (or have things changed?) Since I haven't given my planes a thought for five years I'm feeling a bit more stupid than usual. Anyone have a heads up for me? Battery Gurus, what should I be looking for in tx and rx packs? How should they behave on cycling? Or are they all just toast and need to be replaced? All my engines were stored nose up with copious amounts of after run oil in them, so I figure if I soak them in light oil they should loosen up with out too much damage (or is there a better way to recondition them?) Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your 72 MHz gold stickered Tx/RX systems are still legal. In fact, at most fields 2.4GHz popularity has freed up the 72MHz frequency board. If you have some stuck or tight glow engines they can be freed up by heating them with your covering heat gun then adding some after run oil when they break free. Same for stuck carb barrels. After freeing the engine fire it up and run a tank thru it, and then give it after run oil before storing it. As for the batteries, replacing all of them would be a 100% sure way to be safe. Depending on how many systems you have this may be rather expensive, however so is crashing your planes because a battery failed! If you have a good battery cycler such as the Hobbico Accu Cycle, then I would give each one a go on the cycler and see how they do. Load test them afterwards and retest them after a week or so. If in doubt, throw them out. It becomes a "judgement" call on whether to use them or go the 100% replacement route.

Last edited by 52larry52; 12-27-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:31 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome back Baddawg, Yes your batteries are toast its always a mistake on a battery gamble no matter how many times you cycle or how well they cycle. Remember they are not five years old. Thats how old they were when you dropped out but how old were they before that? That's a bad bet in my book.

John
Old 12-28-2013, 07:12 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did exactly as you, but for different reasons. However, I thought I was giving it up for good, so I sold everything I could find a buyer for. That meant I could virtually start over. If I had kept everything, here is what I would do. First, as has been suggested replace ALL of your batteries with either Lipo's or A123's. I imagine that you might have some planes you can't get any more. I would hate to lose one just because of an old battery. Second, if you can, convert to 2.4 ghz, do so, the new radios are a breeze to program. Yes, the frequency boards are wide open now, but there are legitimate reasons that the hobby has converted. Lastly, check over your aircraft closely for any fixes that might be needed before flying. I had stored an Ultra Stick Lite for the 5 years and the clear covering peeled off like the skin of an onion.

Lastly, welcome back to a great hobby....don't ever do that again.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 AM
bikerbc

You don't have to replace all your batteries just throw all the ones you have away and buy enough new ones to get you started .. Welcome back .. Go over your planes carefully ..If you can afford to upgrade to the new 2.4 system you will love it , if not what you have will get you buy for now .Your engines will be fine once you do some maint on them ..I would have a trusted instructor stand beside me for the first flight just in case ..Good luck ..
Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BadDawg, How many airplanes and radio systems are we talking about here? And how many are you going to fly right away? Bikerbc has a good point to only buy enough new batteries to get you started again. I would get two of my best flying favorite planes that I was comfortable flying before, and get them ready to go with new batteries, ground tested engines (taxi test them in your driveway), and progress from there. Having a good "copilot " standing by your side for the first flight is also a good idea. Enjoy !!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 AM
BadDawg

Larry, thanks for reminding me heat melts varnish. That saved a bunch of time. And I have 5 tx, and 19 planes that are (theoretically) flight worthy. I have 8 Tx battery packs. I"m not counting the rx packs . I'm using an FMA Super Nova charger/cycler. Two of the tx packs failed so badly (less than 10% charge taken after cycling down) that they have found the way to the battery happy hunting ground. I'm prepping three planes. My 60 sized tail dragger sport, a 46 P-40 (that has never been flown) and a 25 sized Gremlin that I know like the back of my hand. Taxi testing the Gremmie may be problematic. I can't get my glow stick to take a charge, same for my starter. I have flat ass forgotten how the programing functions on my radios work ( I feel real stupid). Just renewed my AMA membership. I used to be a solid, intermediate flyer,but for my first trip back to the field I'll treat myself like a newbie.

Last edited by BadDawg; 12-29-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Stick 40

Hi,
welcome back, I was away for about 15 years and with the kids gone and retired I got back in. did not sell anything, glad I did not nice to have all that stuff.
I started out getting 2.4 radio , that was 6 years ago best thing I did . replace all the RX battery's with A123 with a charger for them, they will take a "life charger" They will last a lot longer.
sticks

good luck
Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know, if I was starting out from scratch as far as my batteries go. I think I would be tempted to put one of those programmable voltage regulators in each model, and then buy 2 or 3 lipos for receiver packs and just pop them into whatever I was going to fly that day.. I have had very good luck with Nicads over the years, but having about 15-20 models .. I think I would go to a few new batteries I could move over replacing 20 nicads...
just a thought.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:00 PM
BadDawg

Back from the Somerset Signal Senders, Frozen Finger Fly In, and I forgot how cold glow fuel on your hands is when it's 25 Deg F. Got in one flight (sort of). I took the Gremlin to the field because I know it so well and if it crashes, it's a combat plane and that's expected. the bushed Norvel 25 wasn't too snarky considering it hadn't been started in 6 years. However it never crossed my mind that the fuel tank neoprene seals had dried and were seriously leaky. The Gremmie left my hand with authority and started to climb out. When I banked into the pattern at about 30' it leaned out and I had a glider. Kept the air speed up. Got it lined up for landing. Did an unplanned, no power touch n go (the noise of the frozen goose droppings grinding under the wing scared me and I over reacted. ) It slid to a halt with zero damage. A little RTV around the stopper and Gremmie #3 will be ready to chop crepe.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDawg
. A little RTV around the stopper and Gremmie #3 will be ready to chop crepe.
Do yourself a favor. If that is a conventional bung stopper type tank then RTV will never be effective once the stopper is that old and dryed. Replace the tank - and - replace it with a Hayes which utilizes a hard plug and O ring. They will undergo countless more openings that a large expansion plug and are far faster to set up even more reliable and no more expensive.

John
Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Pick one radio and get a new battery for it. Pick two planes and get new batteries for them, and check or re-plumb the fuel systems. Also check your servo connectors for tarnish or rust.

Take it one or two at a time and you'll find your way. Everyone has their own style, so take your time so you can develop yours. You shouldn't need a new radio or really much new equipment at all other than batteries. And some new fuel I guess, it can go bad. I would say grab some new fuel but try the old stuff. If you have problems then try the new stuff and see if it makes a difference. Use the old stuff if you can but know it can cause issues if its bad.

RadicalRC.com is a good place to get quality batteries at good prices, and they have awesome links on their site regarding RC batteries.